Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2007 6:13 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wasn't any evangelion action in this episode, but I thought it was pretty cool anyway.

Hell, I'm just happy I managed to switch to the a2000a subs xD
Higher quality to, to what I was watching...

To the next episode!
Mar 27, 2008 4:36 PM

Aug 2007
I love this episode, it's the most intensely sci-fi of the 26 eps and I loved learning more about Ritsuko! :)
May 10, 2008 6:05 AM
Oct 2007
I totally didn't follow to much of what was going on ><
Jun 11, 2008 8:49 PM
Oct 2007
Ahh, no fighting but for some reason loved that ep...

Aug 5, 2008 9:24 PM

Jun 2007
actually, i hated the font change in a2000a subs... they made it too big IMO...

that actually looked like a brain.
i also loved this episode
but that may have been because of the naked asuka in the Plug xD
Sep 2, 2008 3:21 AM

May 2007
This really had a sci-fi part. Much more than any other episode. An Angel like that could hack into a country in a matter of seconds.
Oct 13, 2008 4:45 AM

Jan 2008
There were bits I didn't follow but it was an ok episode.
Jan 4, 2009 5:05 PM

Jul 2008
I liked this one, a fight against the Angel's without the use of Eva's but technology.

Asuka naked. =F
Nov 8, 2009 7:10 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't like this episode that much, overused concept and predictable.
Nov 29, 2009 10:41 AM

Oct 2009
The "sci fi" aspects of this episode were retarded and insulting to my intelligence. First of all, there's no way a machine can "evolve" because evolution is only possible for living things. When is the last time your car or computer evolved? It's only possible for a machine to adapt if a living being is controlling it and making repairs. Second, the idea of stopping it by forcing it to evolve, therefore triggering it to self-destruct, made 0 sense from any perspective and was pure deus ex machina. And, as Veethorn said, the ending was predictable. Didn't feel any tension in this episode.

I did like the idea of the angel as a self-aware, rapidly evolving micro organism though. Oh yeah, and Asuka naked. XD
Dec 3, 2009 9:19 PM

Apr 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
The "sci fi" aspects of this episode were retarded and insulting to my intelligence. First of all, there's no way a machine can "evolve" because evolution is only possible for living things. When is the last time your car or computer evolved? It's only possible for a machine to adapt if a living being is controlling it and making repairs. Second, the idea of stopping it by forcing it to evolve, therefore triggering it to self-destruct, made 0 sense from any perspective and was pure deus ex machina. And, as Veethorn said, the ending was predictable. Didn't feel any tension in this episode.

I did like the idea of the angel as a self-aware, rapidly evolving micro organism though. Oh yeah, and Asuka naked. XD

The angel was, as stated in the episode, an 'organic computer'. Not quite sure how that would work, but it does indicate that it was indeed a living creature.

I'm kind of getting bored with the constant angel attacks. I'd like to know a little more about them before any more occur.
Dec 29, 2009 7:00 AM
May 2008
Drgentile777 said:
JuicyBuddha said:

The angel was, as stated in the episode, an 'organic computer'. Not quite sure how that would work, but it does indicate that it was indeed a living creature.

I'm kind of getting bored with the constant angel attacks. I'd like to know a little more about them before any more occur.

I completely understand where you're coming from, there has been next to nothing in information on the angels. At most there has been info on each specific angel, but nothing more than what it's capable of.

Hopefully, the formulaic episodes will take a change soon.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Dec 31, 2009 9:16 AM
Jun 2008
Hahaha! They always manage to do anything in the last second!
Mar 31, 2010 2:02 PM

Aug 2009
I love this episode, lol epic hacker typing!!!
Jun 6, 2010 12:40 AM

Sep 2008
HACK TEH PLANET
Jun 8, 2010 2:50 PM

Feb 2008
I thought this episode was great just for the Ritsuko elements. This show does seem to be more about character development than plot development so those people who are only watching for plot must be disappointed.
Jun 21, 2010 5:05 PM

May 2008
Wat.
I had no idea what was happening, because I'm too daft, but it still managed to get me on the edge of my seat.
Jul 24, 2010 3:11 PM

May 2008
Good episode, it was a little bit different from the others but still I enjoyed it a lot~
Jul 31, 2010 12:53 PM
Jun 2010
booooooring, didn't understand a thing and the end was, one again, predictable. Nothing really happened.

Aug 6, 2010 8:46 AM

Jul 2009
Was the nudity neccessary? It seemed totally random, just another reason to see boobs..
I liked the rest of the episode though, the part with the brain was cool
Aug 23, 2010 8:37 PM

Aug 2009
Lol just what the hell happened? I was confused the whole episode. I kept rewinding and pausing the video just for me to understand it better. Nonetheless it was still an awesome episode. As usual, they just keep pawning these Angel butts from left to right.

Okay so from what I understood, there was an Angel attack but not just an ordinary attack but an attack from the inside using microchip machines. It started to hack the NERV's system and eventually reaching 2 of the 3 super computers. Apparently the 3 super computer's personality came from the mother of the yellow-haired scientist and she did some uber hackorz skills for them to take the whole system abck and shut down the Angel completely.

Three things I've learned in this episode. That Magi is a living super computer with a brain inside. Also possible to attack NERV from the inside and Asuka hates being naked.
Sep 11, 2010 7:05 PM
Aug 2010
JuicyBuddha said:

I have to agree that the whole concept of expediating evolution to cause death=wtf? and I don't quite understand how they went about doing it. I agree, it did seem like pure deus ex machina.
still a nice episode though
Oct 4, 2010 1:31 AM

Mar 2010
Oh. the new angel going through the three wise men? I like where this is going.
Oct 8, 2010 2:48 PM
Jul 2010
So, I've actually learned some stuff with this episode, the most interesting one being that as one of the first episodes hinted, the Evas do have a personality. Someone's personality that was transcribed into them just like Ritsuko's mother personality was passed onto those super computers.

Besides that, it was a really nice episode. It was refreshing to see an Angel that wasn't just some wired huge monster that could only be defeated by the Evas but instead was some kind of powerful virus / organic computer.

I truly loved this episode even though I agree that the "forcing it to evolve will lead it to self-destruction" idea didn't make a lot of sense to me. Besides that, the concept of the Angels as being creatures with great capacity for quick adaptation and evolution is amazing.
Nov 14, 2010 6:50 PM

Jul 2010
What a great episode, finally one where an Angel isn't some gigantic monster that could be taken down by brute force alone. Come to think of it, this microscopic enemy was actually far more menacing than any other Angel, and was only one second away from essentially wiping out mankind.

The episode, despite lacking Evangelion action, was quite intense (though the final countdown was rather predictable). It also underlined the fact that the machines in this anime are not purely mechanical, but rather have biological aspects as well. The adaptive angels, the mechs that "bleed" when wounded and are capable of going berserk, and now biological supercomputers constructed around an actual brain. Pretty cool stuff!

One thing I didn't get though was the idea of expediting evolution to kill the Angel =/
Dec 12, 2010 1:47 PM

Jan 2009
This is the only episode so far that I haven't at least somewhat liked. It was very formulaic and predictable.

I'm starting to get bored with angels attacking every episode. I need some background information on why they are attacking and where they are coming from. Otherwise, I just feel like they're there just to cause a tension in the show.
Feb 12, 2011 3:20 PM

Aug 2010
This made no sense at all.
Feb 21, 2011 9:16 PM

Sep 2009
I don't see whats so odd about Artificial Intelligence.
It's something thats been done in Sci Fi for...forever.

Computers grow and learn because they have advanced so far their processors and such represent our own brains.

I liked that the trio of main protagonists spent the entire episode naked.
Always nice to see support and background characters getting show time.
May 8, 2011 5:53 AM

Oct 2008
Oh shit. =O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 22, 2011 10:15 PM
Apr 2011
It was indeed a good episode. Not my favourite so far, but still pretty good.
At least, I didn't get to hear much of Asuka's voice in this ep! And that was a plus xD
God she pisses me off so much haha!
3/5
Jun 2, 2011 3:34 AM

Aug 2010
What i think they meant for making it evolve to actually kill it was that evolution actually has two paths, 1 path gets adaptation = survival = "evolving into something better" but the other path in evolution leads to death because of lack in adaptation = natural selection = "extinction" maybe they just made evolve in a way that it would die (artificial selection)

maybe the term evolution wasn't properly applied as its kinda ambiguous in this context but thats just my opinion of what they meant
Aug 6, 2011 6:14 PM

Dec 2010
This episode was really intense and confusing(I hardly kept up with the action). I miss the kids, except Asuka - I saw my favorite(whining!) part of her, but I guess they're gonna get enough screen time anyway.
Aug 17, 2011 9:27 AM
May 2011
Hack faster dammit!
Nov 15, 2011 11:19 AM

Jul 2009
Ah, yet another proof that NGE is just a pile of crap. Great.

Next time we'll see some other poorly adapted and executed sci-fi elements. Possibly taken from Plan 9 from outer space. I just can't wait.

Wat? We won't? But why?

Heh, it really feels like Ed Wood (or his ghost) was somehow involved in making NGE though. The amount of nonsense in this series is exceeding EU limits. :D
orzel286Nov 15, 2011 11:26 AM
Nov 21, 2011 11:15 PM

Mar 2010
I'm actually quite surprised. Despite the concept being very simplistic, I found it to be quite interesting and fun in a cool way. I definitely learned a lot about the ''Magi'' System and can kinda understand the background history in where the 'EVA' basis comes into place. So overall, despite the concept being weak, the episode was very fast paced, and kept me on the edge of my seat. Looking forward to the next!
Nov 21, 2011 11:18 PM

Jun 2009
orzel286 said:
Ah, yet another proof that NGE is just a pile of crap. Great.

Next time we'll see some other poorly adapted and executed sci-fi elements. Possibly taken from Plan 9 from outer space. I just can't wait.

Wat? We won't? But why?

Heh, it really feels like Ed Wood (or his ghost) was somehow involved in making NGE though. The amount of nonsense in this series is exceeding EU limits. :D

You just don't get it :/
Nov 22, 2011 1:22 AM

Jul 2009
grandy_UiD said:

You just don't get it :/

And you do? You can plow through psuedo-scientific BS like that without blinking an eye? Impressive.
Mar 8, 2012 6:29 PM

Jan 2012
I consider this episode a part 2 to the last one which featured Misato's backtory. This one focused on Ritsuko's character and we found out more about her. Episodes 12 and 13 stick together for me because they focus on the characters of Ritsuko and Misato, the best friends. Overall, EVA's characters are the best out of any animes that I've watched. So for anyone watching this for the first time theres a lot more in store...
Mar 10, 2012 12:19 AM

Jun 2011
So Evolution leads to death if that's the only viable option? WTF?!
May 14, 2012 8:30 PM

Feb 2012
Dissent said:
So Evolution leads to death if that's the only viable option? WTF?!

That is actually a common experience for life during major cataclysmic events. If a species evolves too well to an environment, it becomes more difficult to adapt to a new environment. Large Dinosaurs were the apex of their ecosystem, but were more vulnerable because of it. They couldn’t adapt when the world changed and ended up become an evolutionary dead end. I’m sure that is what they did to the angle.
Nov 15, 2012 11:39 AM
Dec 2011
JuicyBuddha said:
The "sci fi" aspects of this episode were retarded and insulting to my intelligence. First of all, there's no way a machine can "evolve" because evolution is only possible for living things. D

machines can be programmed to 'evolve'. E.g. making a simulation of walking program with all the muscles, wieght, balance,(etc) would take months of hard, diligent trial-and-error working. Yet, if you program the machine to 'try' on its own and only choose 'progeny' that move further forward than the previous, eventually (in a few seconds, even.) you will get a fully-working, perfect representation of a human walking. all done by the machine itself. Scary.
Just remember kids; ALL living things, in the end, are just complex machines designed by 'trial and error' where the loser dies.
Dec 9, 2012 1:27 PM

May 2012
Nice episode and quite an interesting concept in this one, the angel here was quite impressive I do still wonder how it managed to infiltrate the base so easily! Great ending though full of tension!
Jan 9, 2013 9:51 PM

Apr 2012
Too much nanobot Angel thing, not enough naked Asuka.

Actually, I still enjoyed this episode even if the hacking aspect and all the technobabble was kind of ridiculous.
Jan 20, 2013 4:47 PM

Nov 2012
rewatching it again, just can't get tired of this.
Feb 25, 2013 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
Boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring
Mar 15, 2013 3:11 PM
Apr 2012
Sabinlerose said:

I liked that the trio of main protagonists spent the entire episode naked.

Really? What did you like about it so much then? To be honest there no justification for that at all and we didn't get to see anything either so i thought it was completely pointless.
And to the people that were complaining that this episode was predictable: Wasn't nearly every episode predictable? I for one am happy that this time they used a different formula than the usual angel attack, eva attack, angel defeat.
I do agree that a lot of things didn't really make sense but that didn't bother me too much. I dont understand how they defeated the angel though...
Phaetons_Folly said:

That is actually a common experience for life during major cataclysmic events. If a species evolves too well to an environment, it becomes more difficult to adapt to a new environment. Large Dinosaurs were the apex of their ecosystem, but were more vulnerable because of it. They couldn’t adapt when the world changed and ended up become an evolutionary dead end. I’m sure that is what they did to the angle.

I am not really informed about this matter but lets assume that what you say about the dinosaurs is correct. In short the dinosaurs were so far evolved that when the environment changed they could no longer adapt (evolve) well enough and died. Seems logical, however, in the anime the environment did not change so the angel shouldn't have died. I guess this is the only thing that really bothers me as it just makes the writer look extremely lazy or unimaginative for killing the angel in such a manner.
Morani90Mar 15, 2013 3:22 PM
Mar 18, 2013 6:38 PM

Jan 2013
I thought the brain in the computer was epic!! those plugs/needles stabbing into it Dx

the ending song is great too, and ofc I still love the OP.

tried to be more sci-fi this ep. thought it was a cool take.
I dont understand why everyone's saying "nudity," I mean, yeah they were naked, but you technically didnt even get to see Asuka's boobs. ....Not the good parts, anyway.
Apr 6, 2013 1:57 PM

Jun 2009
It's hilarious how worked up people get over a bit of nudity. This episode was a lot better than I remember it being, but it's still probably my least favorite so far. Still, it's cool to see some of the other adults like Ritsuko get some attention.

"My mother was a woman to the end, how like her." One thing I've noticed during this re-watch is that this is much better planned out than I originally thought.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 29, 2013 7:18 AM
Jul 2018

Is that a brain inside Casper?
Gosh. Computers are really super enemies and hard to deal with.
May 3, 2013 2:07 PM

Feb 2012
Interesting and complex episode.

Thoughts from Episode 13

WOW that Maya girl is really good at computers I am sure she can become like Ritsuko maybe in future.

Haha Shjinji Asuka and Rei in that area with no clothes. Asuka sure was mad :DD I wonder how that Angel evolved in that area and got inside NERV's Headquaters. That sure was fast getting for supercomputers what could been happen if Angels were succeed taking control of all 3 supercomputers. And what they really wanted for those supercomputers. Wait a minute where did Kaiji go we saw him but only little time.

It was nice to see that Ritsuko got own development in this episode. I wonder what kind of person her mother was. Also I thought there was only one "Magi" but it revealed other two also their names "Melchior", "Balthasar" "Casper" and Ritsuko mother's brains are in Casper. So these super computers reminds her mother in personallity or something like that and as in mother, scientist and woman.

And Ritsuko's promise was to protect Magis and her mother research I guess...

Cool episode. Also showed that Ikari want's to world be save no matter what it cost. Also Ritsuko's mother hated obviously Ikari.

Best parts: countdown with Magi computers. All 3 EVA pilots in difficult situation LOL. And finally Ritsuko's awesome coding experiences.
MixxuMay 3, 2013 2:11 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

264 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 21, 7:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.