Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 26, 2021 11:21 PM

May 2019
My theory is that shonen bat is just a metaphor for death (mainly focusing on suicide and ideations). Also, losing the will to live and deep despair. YET, he's also real, like death and desperation. So Kon decided, why not make a modern day grim reaper "serial killer"?

Maromi is a metaphor for peace and comfort, though, mass marketed in exploitative ways which can, in turn, ruin our peace or throw us into deep fantasy realms, making us sick.

Each time the woman talks about anything painful, shonen bat lifts his bat or stands up and swings it and then her calm demeanor keeps him from lashing out. She has had to face death and despair yet still remained calm. She doesn't need the 'relief' of death. In addition, since she's facing death due to her health, she's facing him and confronting him, yet peacefully and humbly.

The shadow of him through the wall is brilliant, also him growing bigger the more she delves into her story.

Then the burglar reciting Ikari's words:
"there must be some things in the world that are right, that's how we can go on living!"
Then the burglar says about shonen bat:
"that's simply a monster of our time."
Nowadays despair and desire or want of death is so prevalent.

Right after her epic monologue, the TV comes on with Maromi. Her saying 'you and Maromi are one and the same.' This, to me, means that exploitative comfort and distractions from reality prevent us from truly living.
skatensleepAug 31, 2021 10:52 PM
Aug 31, 2021 2:54 PM
Oct 2019
I don't understand how Paranoia Agent could have an overall rating well below 8.
Sure, it's weird and not easy to follow. But it's so profound. Solid 9/10 to me so far
Oct 17, 2021 5:24 AM

Jul 2016
what a supportive old man burglar.
Dec 11, 2021 2:27 AM

Nov 2018
Misae being incredibly based. Yes just because someone is stressed or sad doesn't mean they want to die or deny reality.
Dec 12, 2021 9:19 AM
Nov 2020
that was one of the most impactful episodes of anime ive ever seen
Jan 8, 2022 2:50 AM

Aug 2019
So shonen bat is delusion that people created to escape from reality...or to die...cheif is really a strong person...
Mar 12, 2022 11:24 AM

Jun 2021
Wowww. I love this episode and her monologue.Finally heard something positive in this anime. Tho she is mentally and physically unhealthy she has a strong resolve.She just defeated the shonen bat (urge to escape reality)
Jun 16, 2022 1:07 PM
Oct 2019
So Shonen Bat is actually the temptation or the act of committing suicide when under pressure or having problems with life? Shonen Bat appears to does who want an easy way out of their problems, offering salvation (suicide or drifting away from reality). We can see that Ikari's wife was tempted to commit suicide, but she said how dare herself to have that thought. After she said she was gonna keep on living and undergo the operation, she was free from the deceptions of Shonen Bat. Maybe the house was like a cage and when she accepted reality and chose to live, the house collapsed and we can see some white birds meaning freedom.
Aug 22, 2022 6:28 AM

Jun 2020
Well, good episode but I'm still pissed about the direction this show is going. It just feels aimless, directionless. It feels too abstract, in a bad way. This show peaked at ep 6 and 7, and only went downhill from there. Ep 8 was great tho.

Well, seems like this show might end up being an 8/10. It's great, but there are parts that I really don't like about it, so it's just very good now. A 9 to an 8.

Oct 8, 2022 9:33 AM
Dec 2021
The weakness and strength of the human condition as shown in this episode is the highlight and one of the main reasons why you should watch this anime
Mar 24, 2023 11:08 AM
Dec 2022
I think this anime is the greatest sleep aid i've ever seen, it is so hard to take this anime serious.
lets all love lain.
May 3, 2023 4:25 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe by now it is truism but I think that Lil Slugger is personification of depression. Chiefs wife was example of what happens when people choose not to give up on life and try to get out of their hard situation.

I guess my theory wasn't 100% procent correct but I'm still proud of it.
removed-userMay 3, 2023 5:18 AM
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
Jan 2021
I am relieved to finally have the detectives back. It seems like we're finally going to get some closure. That being said, it's very hard to tell what the episode is trying to convey half the time, especially when the art style changed so drastically. Maybe that's something that is cleared up on a second watch. For now though, it feels a bit too abstract.

My guess is that SB is the Grim Reaper and Maromi is the perceived value of life. All the OG characters look for their escape through death, and the taste of death makes them realise their will to live. Maybe he's only a child from the start because all of his targets aren't truly on death's door, but instead are just cornered and looking for a way out. He grew to ginormous proportions this time around, because the lady is actually dying and death has a firmer grasp on her. This theory even correlates to the stories told in episode 9 (ETC). All the stories are about death, not Lil Slugger. The baby was a miscarriage. The kid in the exam ended his life because of stress. The mother in law was greeted by death as she crossed the final line for her daughter in law (which may had surprised the daughter in law because she mightn't have meant to kill her).

SB, in terms of design, supports this idea, too. For me, his design is a symbol of lost potential. The golden bat represents ruined opportunity. What good is a bat that's bent in half, even if it is golden? Our inner children dictate our dreams a lot of the time, which may be why he is a child, or possibly it's a representation of the younger generation being more susceptible to the idea of suicide.

If that's true, there does lie the question of why people are treating death like it's something they'd never heard of before. Maybe SB is a social commentary on the constantly rising suicide culture in Japan, especially considering that the show was made so close to the 90s.

Overall, this episode was much, much better than the last 3, and I am relieved. Depending on how the show ends, I'm probably going to leave it at a 7.
lkj509Feb 7, 1:53 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kawaiimisato - Apr 11, 2009

105 by lkj509 »»
Feb 6, 5:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.