Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 24, 2009 10:36 PM

Apr 2008
Capellabun said:
Loverhina said:
Capellabun said:
Of course, like every other license thread there's going to be rage and "dub sucks" all throughout it.

ewwwwww , i'm a little slow i completely forgot about english dubbed ... it makes me wonder the voice actors but i mean personally i think it would be hard to compare to the japanese dubbed

edit: everyone fail that talk about download on internet, blue ray for this season is great

I've only watched a few episodes of Spice and Wolf and didn't find the voice acting to be anything more then most anime so when I watch it I probably won't be comparing it to the Japanese track. As long as they pick voice actors that fit the characters and don't overact it I think it will be fine. I can actually think of a few that I think would fit well, that and who I would like the ADR director to be.

Though that's for me, if you dislike dubs then it may not be for you and watching it may be an issue if you're used to the Japanese.

i never said i dislike english dub i just said that whenever i heard of companies licensing it, it totally slipped my mind when i think about voice actors ... because mainly i think the voice actor ( Fukuyama Jin) fit the character really well , however i'm goin to be bias right now and say that english voice actors feel like they tend to be pick of random
May 25, 2009 1:18 AM

Jul 2008
When you buy the DVDs you do not have to use the English audio. So... what is the problem?

BEGINNER
May 25, 2009 2:18 AM
Jan 2008
I've always been mystified about the disproportionately violent reaction to changing "Horo" to "Holo".

Why is "Horo" correct? Why is it superior? Certainly it doesn't sound as nice; the more gentle l sound seems to work with her appearance and nature when compared to the more harsh r sound. With that in mind, why does everyone hate it so much? I think it's an improvement, though admittedly not one I would have had the nerve to suggest.
May 25, 2009 3:22 AM

Oct 2007
Anomalous said:
Hikari-tan said:
giganoBrago said:
lol it makes me laugh how all you funimation fans just jump to defend them:p

Fans? Lol. All dubs suck compared to the original.

And that's a sweeping generalization to make. You're well within your rights to dislike dubs, but if you took the time to watch them you'd see that at the very least there are plenty that don't suck.

I do watch dubs actually, I own a number of them, but to me they just seem so much more... lifeless, I suppose, than the Japanese counterpart, as if the voice actors are simply reading a script :/
May 25, 2009 4:37 AM

Oct 2008
Capellabun said:
Kuyukly said:
My question is, why would it bother you? You still have your fansubs all over the net. Why does it bother any of you? Do you just want something to whine about? You're not being forced to sit down and watch FUNi's subs or dub. Nobody's holding you at gunpoint. Why, then, does it bother you that something gets licensed?

This

This series has been available subbed for awhile now and I promise you even after it's licensed it will still be available somewhere on the internet. Whether it's on torrents, DDL sites, or streaming sites. In almost every thread concerning a license it's filled with people complaining about it but some how in the end they end up getting to watch it anyways.

It all seems like pointless whining to me as it almost always gets fansubbed in the end.

There's never any guarantee though. The only reason licensing annoys me is because a lot of fansub groups bail on the series, which has the potential to leave only some crappy fansubs. For those who don't care about their fansub quality, this obviously isn't an issue, but I like watching well translated, decent quality anime.

I actually like a lot of dubs, so that side of it doesn't bother me. It's merely when things get legal with fansubbers that creates annoyances.

Oh, and when I say all this I'm referring to the possibility that the second season will be licensed before it airs, or as its airing.

Hikari-tan said:
Anomalous said:
Hikari-tan said:
giganoBrago said:
lol it makes me laugh how all you funimation fans just jump to defend them:p

Fans? Lol. All dubs suck compared to the original.

And that's a sweeping generalization to make. You're well within your rights to dislike dubs, but if you took the time to watch them you'd see that at the very least there are plenty that don't suck.

I do watch dubs actually, I own a number of them, but to me they just seem so much more... lifeless, I suppose, than the Japanese counterpart, as if the voice actors are simply reading a script :/

You mustn't be picking the best dubs to watch then. I've seen plenty of dubs that are brilliant, and in some cases out-do the original.
May 25, 2009 8:25 AM

Oct 2008
Jive interview said:

Crispin: Because they hear the Japanese acting and think that's incredibly emotional and real. Now, many of the Japanese are amazing at what they can do. A Japanese director friend of mine in Japan, who I worked with in many theater shows, when I told her that I was working on Anime, she said, "Oh, are you over-acting like they do in Japanese Anime?" And I was like, "Um…well…I’m trying not to. Maybe I am, but I’m not trying to.”

This is an interesting little exert I found when I was reading a Crispin Freeman interview. I've been saying for a long time that anime fans think much too highly of the acting in Japanese audio considering none of us understand a damn thing they're saying except a word or two. We, well most of us, claim to know what great acting is in another language, but in reality none of use actually know and since bashing dubs has been "cool" since VHS days *cough*even though they sold better*cough* they just keep it going.

As someone previously said, you are well within your rights to dislike dubs, I too have found myself switching audio because some are bad (Geneon dubs) and I'm an avid dub follower with a high tolerance towards them, but don't ever compare them to the Japanese actors. You can't say they have more emotion when all you pick up on is the pitch of the voice and don't understand a lick of what's being said, let alone know how it's being said, without the subtitles guiding you along.

I should have known it would come to this when I submitted the story *facepalm*
May 25, 2009 8:26 AM

Aug 2007
Hikari-tan said:
Kuyukly said:
My question is, why would it bother you? You still have your fansubs all over the net. Why does it bother any of you? Do you just want something to whine about? You're not being forced to sit down and watch FUNi's subs or dub. Nobody's holding you at gunpoint. Why, then, does it bother you that something gets licensed?

Quite right too. If you don't like dubs, then don't watch them and stick to the fansubs. Or, if you want to own the DVDs, then just watch the original Japanese audio with the subs on there. Funi's subs may not be as good as the fansubber's, but at least they would beat a potentially awful dub :]

Qft. I agree wholeheartedly.

And like Anomalous said, there are actually some pretty good dubs out there; don't just automatically assume that they're all horrible.

Personally I'm quite happy that I get to buy Spice and Wolf on DVD.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
May 25, 2009 8:26 AM

Apr 2009
it's C&D time, bitches!
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
May 25, 2009 8:43 AM

Oct 2007
MackDaddyHart said:
Jive interview said:

Crispin: Because they hear the Japanese acting and think that's incredibly emotional and real. Now, many of the Japanese are amazing at what they can do. A Japanese director friend of mine in Japan, who I worked with in many theater shows, when I told her that I was working on Anime, she said, "Oh, are you over-acting like they do in Japanese Anime?" And I was like, "Um…well…I’m trying not to. Maybe I am, but I’m not trying to.”

This is an interesting little exert I found when I was reading a Crispin Freeman interview. I've been saying for a long time that anime fans think much too highly of the acting in Japanese audio considering none of us understand a damn thing they're saying except a word or two. We, well most of us, claim to know what great acting is in another language, but in reality none of use actually know and since bashing dubs has been "cool" since VHS days *cough*even though they sold better*cough* they just keep it going.

As someone previously said, you are well within your rights to dislike dubs, I too have found myself switching audio because some are bad (Geneon dubs) and I'm an avid dub follower with a high tolerance towards them, but don't ever compare them to the Japanese actors. You can't say they have more emotion when all you pick up on is the pitch of the voice and don't understand a lick of what's being said, let alone know how it's being said, without the subtitles guiding you along.

I should have known it would come to this when I submitted the story *facepalm*

Yeah, it's regrettably unavoidable.

Also, this forever. If you knew Japanese, you'd be able to hear the often-bad voice acting, and by no means is it always perfect even to American ears--you'd have to be biased at best to believe otherwise.

Did you guys know that Japanese audiences preferred Johnny Yong Bosch's Lelouch because Fukuyama Jun's often felt forced and draining?
KuyuMay 25, 2009 8:50 AM
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 9:17 AM

Nov 2007
Kuyukly said:

Did you guys know that Japanese audiences preferred Johnny Yong Bosch's Lelouch because Fukuyama Jun's often felt forced and draining?

I have to disagree with the sentiment because I detest Johnny Yong Douche's voice. I'm quite partial to Jun, though I admit Lulu wasn't one of his better roles.

I speak Japanese. I watch anime in Japanese and I tend to check out the dubs of at least one episode when I buy stuff on DVD (or what little makes it on TV) and I will acknowledge when voicework is poor, even in native audio. It's just that American dubs for the mostpart tend to be far poorer than the native dubs. As some people have said here and in countless other dub vs. sub arguments, a lot of American voiceacting is flat and lifeless, as if they're just reading a script, not putting any effort in to being the character at all.

Of course it happens in Japanese too, and I'll acknowledge a lot of fans are blind (deaf?) to it, but as somebody who speaks both languages rather fluently and has experience listening to both extensively, the Japanese voice work is far less often terrible. Though as I've said in past threads, a lot of my bias against American dubs is the American accents which imo destroys characters in some circumstances (especially combined with dull lifeless reading).

Want to hear some of the worst Japanese voicework ever? Watch Star Ocean EX. Even with some skilled seiyuu in the casting, the voicework was horrific. Absolutely shocking voice direction, among countless other flaws the show has. Also most hentai titles tend to have very poor voices. While hentai is typically where new seiyuu break in to the industry, the voice direction itself is almost always dreadful. The thing is, that level of voice direction tends to be the standard in American dubs. Bottom of the barrel Japanese = standard American.

But anyway, I don't care about Funi's dubs. I just don't want them calling her Holo.
May 25, 2009 9:21 AM

May 2007
As long as Funi doesn't send C&D to fansubbers before a month after anime finishes, or at the very least re-discoveres Europe like they did in FMA, I'm fine with it. Heck, I'd even want to have Spice and Wolf DVDs on my shelves.
May 25, 2009 9:21 AM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Kuyukly said:

I have to disagree with the sentiment because I detest Johnny Yong Douche's voice.

Stopped reading here. "Johnny Yong Douche"? You're more mature than that.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 9:30 AM

Nov 2007
Kuyukly said:

You greatly overestimate me, Kuyuchi!

Well, I admit it is a petty swipe. But I really do dislike him. Never liked any roles I've heard him in; Vash was horrid, Ichigo was laughable, Lulu was facepalm inducing, Maiku was disappointing (thought maybe dub would pull it off) and Kiba was, along with Wolf's Rain as a whole, pretty crap.

I completely fail to understand his appeal and why so many dubfags have a huge hardon for him. Cuz he was Vash? Trigun dub was a cherrypopper for a lot of people. That tends to create a bias.
May 25, 2009 9:32 AM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Kuyukly said:

You greatly overestimate me, Kuyuchi!

Yeah, I probably do. I went ahead and read it anyway and I'm pretty damn shocked at the obvious incredible bias with which you watch anime.

Asako said:
Well, I admit it is a petty swipe. But I really do dislike him. Never liked any roles I've heard him in; Vash was horrid, Ichigo was laughable, Lulu was facepalm inducing, Maiku was disappointing (thought maybe dub would pull it off) and Kiba was, along with Wolf's Rain as a whole, pretty crap.

I completely fail to understand his appeal and why so many dubfags have a huge hardon for him. Cuz he was Vash? Trigun dub was a cherrypopper for a lot of people. That tends to create a bias.

I don't really care about JYB myself. He's a good actor, but there are many I prefer over him. I just found it incredibly dumb that you'd resort to using his name like that. That's something people do in first grade.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 9:34 AM
Oct 2008
DaBigD said:
As long as Funi doesn't send C&D to fansubbers before a month after anime finishes, or at the very least re-discoveres Europe like they did in FMA, I'm fine with it. Heck, I'd even want to have Spice and Wolf DVDs on my shelves.

Funimation does not have licenses in all of Europe. The reason FMA was available there is due to other services located in Europe. It has nothing to do with them forgetting it exists, again they don't have licenses outside of the US and Canada.

Also, this is for the first season of Spice and Wolf, not the unaired Spice and Wolf II. They probably won't license Spice and Wolf II until they see how well it sells and that probably won't be until 2010.
May 25, 2009 9:40 AM

Nov 2007
Kuyukly said:

Yeah, I probably do. I went ahead and read it anyway and I'm pretty damn shocked at the obvious incredible bias with which you watch anime.

I readily admit I have a bias against dubs. American accents irk me, and I dislike the voicework in a lot of cases for reasons already stated in many similar threads and with you personally.

However I don't bash all dubs, and watch almost everything I get on DVD in dub (at least one episode; enough to hear the main cast) to evaluate whether it's worth recommending the dub to people who prefer watching it that way. I've praised numerous American dubs over the years, and tend to only bash specific voice actors, not companies or series as a whole over their American dub work.

I have nothing against Funi. I don't care about their dub on this series one way or the other as it's not a series I'd ever recommend anybody watch dubbed under any circumstances because Horo is Ami's best ever role and Lawrence is one of Jun's finest (though I still think Watanuki is his best). Also it's fairly likely they're going to call her Holo. In Japanese the L/R thing isn't as noticeable, hearing Americans pronounce the hard L will be heartbreaking.
May 25, 2009 9:47 AM

Oct 2007
Thing that got me was "bottom-of-the-barrel Japanese = standard American", which isn't true in the slightest except for 90s dubs and earlier. It's kinda funny when you realize "standard" (or what you and most dubhaters call standard) is getting pretty rare.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 9:53 AM
Oct 2008
Asako said:

Referring to those of us who like dubs as "dubfags" is a petty and really unneeded swipe as well. You said you dislike American accents in general so I would assume that you dislike most American voice actors. What you hear is obviously going to be different from what some of us hear and personally I don't mind his voice. I think in comparison to a lot of voice actors he is one of the better and more experienced voice actors.

I guess I'm a dubfag for thinking that way though :/
May 25, 2009 9:55 AM

Nov 2007
Kuyukly said:
Thing that got me was "bottom-of-the-barrel Japanese = standard American", which isn't true in the slightest except for 90s dubs and earlier. It's kinda funny when you realize "standard" (or what you and most dubhaters call standard) is getting pretty rare.

I disagree. It -has- certainly improved dramatically in the past decade, however there's still plenty out there that has flat lifeless readings and not enough real acting. This tends to come down to specific people, as I said, which is where I lay my blame. Not companies as a whole. eg. whoever voices Naruto. Absolutely shocking work DISPLAYING EMOTION BY SHOUTING A LOT. Though Kakashi and Jiraiya impressed me and most of the other casting was perfectly fine.

Also in Death Note, Light's voice was pretty mis-cast, imo. In the original he was an intelligent, arrogant cunt from an upper middle class family and it showed. In the American dub he just sounded like some punk kid. (Rest of the casting was good, though; DN gets a thumbs up from me if you can get over Light).

And Black Lagoon. Excellent really. I wasn't terribly fond of Revy to begin with (mostly cuz I missed her awesome Engrish) but Dutch and Benny were awesome, and the show as a whole was very well handled. They're three relatively recent titles I can praise as a whole, though gripe over one specific person (who just tends to be the main char >.<).

Capellabun said:

Referring to those of us who like dubs as "dubfags" is a petty and really unneeded swipe as well.

Kuyuchi calls himself a dubfag. I started using it after I heard him refer to himself as one.
May 25, 2009 10:07 AM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Capellabun said:

Referring to those of us who like dubs as "dubfags" is a petty and really unneeded swipe as well.

Kuyuchi calls himself a dubfag. I started using it after I heard him refer to himself as one.

Yeah sorry about that Capellabun >> It was a side-joke that turned into that. If it's any consolation I also refer to dubhaters as subfags >>;
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 10:10 AM

Jan 2008
Kuyukly said:
Antanaru said:
Go to hell shitimation bastards, hands of this series!

Wow, pointless rage much? FUNimation are fine.

Imagine if 4kids got ahold of it instead.

Just because someone is worse doesn't mean that FuNi is good.

Capellabun said:
Of course, like every other license thread there's going to be rage and "dub sucks" all throughout it.

Dubs in general don't suck, American dubs suck. If they can't do a decent work then don't do it at all.
May 25, 2009 10:22 AM

Oct 2007
DarkBlue said:
Kuyukly said:
Antanaru said:

Just because someone is worse doesn't mean that FuNi is good.

Capellabun said:

Dubs in general don't suck, American dubs suck. If they can't do a decent work then don't do it at all.

Just because you hate dubs doesn't mean that FUNi is bad.

Seriously, dubhaters need to stay the fuck out of license/dub threads. You never know what you're talking about because you completely fail to inform yourselves (4kids is the only company that edits and censors anymore), you're highly biased (at best, racist at worst) against America, and you honestly have no reason to even give a damn about R1 licenses--you'll still have your bad fansubs all over the place. Licensing makes little difference in that regard, and if you honestly need to read your TV shows, learn Japanese. That way you can just watch the raws.
KuyuMay 25, 2009 10:29 AM
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 10:25 AM

Aug 2007
Welp time for my input even though most people probably won't care.

Dubs can be good and they can be bad. I'm a fan of dubs AND subs. I usually watch subs over dubs though. Dubs can usually be much better than the original japanese (Dragon Ball Z, Rurouni Kenshin etc. IMO) and some can be terribly worse (Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Shakugan no Shana, Haruhi Suzumiya etc.). I say people should just stop complaining. If you hate dubs then don't bothering even picking up the dvds, suck it up and move on with life. Funimation hasn't licenesed Spice and Wolf II yet and they probably won't until they see the dvds sales of Spice and Wolf. If you like dubs then pick up the dvds. Funimation is usually pretty good with their dubs. The only dub by them that was pretty much atrocious was D.Gray-man.

So yeah inb4stopbitching and move on.

Edit: And yeah be glad 4kids didn't licenese it. They'd probably destroy it like they did One Piece
May 25, 2009 10:34 AM

Oct 2007
Renza said:
Edit: And yeah be glad 4kids didn't licenese it. They'd probably destroy it like they did One Piece

I can see it now. Horo's nudity would be the first thing to go, naturally. Then any and all references to her being any form of higher being, let alone a god. She'd probably be made out to be Lawrence's niece or something (because traveling alone with someone who looks 15 is a no-no). After that she'd be renamed something stupid like Hannah, though Lawrence's name might stay because it's sufficiently American.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 11:10 AM

Feb 2008
MackDaddyHart said:
Jive interview said:

Overacting, flat acting and great acting can all be discerned without understanding a damn thing of what's being said, if you know the context.

That Japanese director was probably referring to some shitty children's anime since the Japanese are apparently not better at discerning anime from cartoons than the rest of the world.
May 25, 2009 11:38 AM
Jan 2008
Kuyukly said:
I can see it now. Horo's nudity would be the first thing to go, naturally. Then any and all references to her being any form of higher being, let alone a god. She'd probably be made out to be Lawrence's niece or something (because traveling alone with someone who looks 15 is a no-no). After that she'd be renamed something stupid like Hannah, though Lawrence's name might stay because it's sufficiently American.

I think you're being really unfair to 4kids here but it's pretty academic anyway since they wouldn't touch this series to begin with. Aside from the fact that there's no money to be made in selling merchandise for this show there's no way in hell they could make a programme about economics appeal to the teenage demographic - the section of the population that typically has the free time and inclination to actually sit down and watch an animated show.
May 25, 2009 11:40 AM

Oct 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Overacting, flat acting and great acting can all be discerned without understanding a damn thing of what's being said, if you know the context.

That Japanese director was probably referring to some shitty children's anime since the Japanese are apparently not better at discerning anime from cartoons than the rest of the world.

Anime are cartoons. There's no difference. Anybody with half a brain will tell you the same.

That said, yeah, you can tell the general quality of the acting, but the inflections and tone and emphasis could be all wrong all over the place and unless you know Japanese, you would never notice.

And, assuming I'm wrong about that (which I'm not), then the simple fact that everyone always praises almost every seiyuu simply means they only care about the fact that they're Japanese, not that they're good actors. I rarely see people saying "X seiyuu's role in Y anime was bad". It's always "I LOVED X SEIYUU AS Y CHARACTER!1!!!"

On top of that, seiyuu tend to all sound very similar to non-Japanese listeners. Female voices tend to be high-pitched by default with some exceptions based on character archetype and male voices tend to be low-pitched--both in respect to their gender's normal speaking tone. Generally I can't tell which character's speaking from offscreen until she's shown unless she has a distinct voice (for example, when I was watching Kanon 06, I couldn't tell that the narrative voice was who it was until it was revealed near the end).

In short, Japanese seiyuu overact and fall flat just as often as American voice actors. The reason many of us see the Japanese to be better is because we have American ears and can't hear the problems as well.

ILPPendant said:
Kuyukly said:

I think you're being really unfair to 4kids here but it's pretty academic anyway since they wouldn't touch this series to begin with. Aside from the fact that there's no money to be made in selling merchandise for this show there's no way in hell they could make a programme about economics appeal to the teenage demographic - the section of the population that typically has the free time and inclination to actually sit down and watch an animated show.

Yeah, I'm pretty bitter toward them because they're partly to blame for the R1 industry having such a bad rap--all their constant editing and censoring and bad name changes in the past and such. I pick on them most because they still do it. lol. I mean they cut out a whole third of what was out for One Piece just so they could introduce Chopper sooner because he's so marketable.

Though blame can't be shifted from the morons who can't be bothered to inform themselves first before forming an opinion.
KuyuMay 25, 2009 11:51 AM
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 12:01 PM

Feb 2008
Kuyukly said:
kuroshiroi said:

Anime are cartoons. There's no difference.
Wait, what? In the interest of keeping this topic off topic I'm going to assume you're questioning my choice of words, let's say that the Japanese director was talking about a cartoon/anime aimed and watched exclusively by children under the age of.. 8. Most stuff that's aimed at younger audiences is not very well acted because kids don't give a shit, they just want bright colors and loud voices.

What you're basically saying is that it's impossible to judge the acting in any foreign A/V media, anime, movies, TV shows etc.? How about music? Can you judge foreign music?
May 25, 2009 12:23 PM

Oct 2007
Anime are cartoons. Anime directly translates, in English, to animation. It was a response to your claim about discerning anime from cartoons--there's nothing to discern because they're the same.

Yes, I am saying exactly that it's impossible to properly judge foreign acting and yes, in fact, music, unless you know the language and, to a smaller extent and less applicably, culture. What judging can be done is limited otherwise.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 12:33 PM
Oct 2008
I think properly judging music in a different language is iffy. Most songs in Japanese I like because of the melody, and the way it's sung but as far as lyrics go, I can't understand a thing. I have no idea if they are accenting certain parts of the lyrics to make it more emotional or putting the right emphasis on certain parts of the songs because I can't understand it. For a lot of songs, understanding the lyrics is important especially when word painting is used.
May 25, 2009 12:36 PM

Feb 2008
What about opera?
May 25, 2009 12:36 PM

Apr 2007
lol @ this
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2009 12:53 PM

Jul 2008
Kuyukly said:
Yeah, I'm pretty bitter toward them because they're partly to blame for the R1 industry having such a bad rap--all their constant editing and censoring and bad name changes in the past and such. I pick on them most because they still do it. lol. I mean they cut out a whole third of what was out for One Piece just so they could introduce Chopper sooner because he's so marketable.

I think my favorite quote from Al Kahn is "If we can't merchandise it, it really doesn't have a lot of interest for us."

When 4kids still had One Piece, Kahn said that they didn't want to release uncut DVDs because it "would not have been profitable", yet now uncut DVDs sell more than 4kids's stupid crappy "adaptation".

4kids seems the most selfish of the official licensers... I don't know; maybe it's just me.
May 25, 2009 1:11 PM
Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:
What about opera?

I know very little about opera and I'm no music major but I would assume that in order to judge it properly you would have to have a good amount of understanding of the language that it's sung in and the culture it represents or you would be utterly confused. I can appreciate it, like it or hate it but I would hardly be able to critique it like I would if it where sung in English.

That it how I see it though, my knowledge on Operas is limited to what I've learned from music courses, symphonic band and piano classes.
May 25, 2009 1:12 PM
Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:
What about opera?

I know very little about opera and I'm no music major but I would assume that in order to judge it properly you would have to have a good amount of understanding of the language that it's sung in and the culture it represents or you would be utterly confused. I can appreciate it, like it or hate it but I would hardly be able to critique it like I would if it where sung in English.

That it how I see it though, my knowledge on Operas is limited to what I've learned from music courses, symphonic band and piano classes.
May 25, 2009 1:19 PM

Apr 2008
Kuyukly said:
Renza said:

haha but that would probably be the same way with funimation ... that is what americans like so that is what they are marketing too , its something that cant be helped

thankfully we still got amazon for releases of raws
May 25, 2009 1:22 PM

Oct 2007
Loverhina said:
Kuyukly said:
Renza said:

haha but that would probably be the same way with funimation ... that is what americans like so that is what they are marketing too , its something that cant be helped

thankfully we still got amazon for releases of raws

Nu-uh. FUNimation hasn't censored or edited a single anime in years. Pick up any of their releases from the last...oh, let's say seven years--any one of them, you can even close your eyes and pick at random--I guarantee it won't be edited. They've become insanely good about keeping true to the original since their DBZ days.

Like I said earlier in this thread: 4kids is the only R1 company that edits or censors anymore.
KuyuMay 25, 2009 1:29 PM
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 1:43 PM

Aug 2007
Like I said earlier in this thread: 4kids is the only R1 company that edits or censors anymore.

Hell even if Viz got Spice and Wolf (which we all know wouldn't happen ever unless it's a shonen or shoujo title) they wouldn't even edit or censor it.
May 25, 2009 1:48 PM

Aug 2007
What was the purpose of this thread again? Kinda got lost in the flames.

<_<

>_>
May 25, 2009 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
Renza said:
What was the purpose of this thread again? Kinda got lost in the flames.

<_<

>_>
Every licensing news thread on MAL is like this, it's a tradition.
May 25, 2009 1:56 PM

Oct 2007
Yeah, it'd feel way too weird if it actually stayed the course.

And the sad part is, I mean that.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 1:59 PM

Feb 2008
Kuyukly said:
Yeah, it'd feel way too weird if it actually stayed the course.

And the sad part is, I mean that.
It'd also be way boring, everyone saying "Yay, another DVD for me to buy!"
May 25, 2009 2:05 PM

Aug 2007
Well I've been on MAL for almost 2 years now and I don't really browse the news boards that much :/

I'm not surprised though, people really like to argue over petty things like subs over dubs and licensing >_> but I digress. It's actually pretty fun looking at these boards.
May 25, 2009 2:20 PM

Oct 2007
Renza said:
Well I've been on MAL for almost 2 years now and I don't really browse the news boards that much :/

I'm not surprised though, people really like to argue over petty things like subs over dubs and licensing >_> but I digress. It's actually pretty fun looking at these boards.

I prefer arguing about subs vs dubs over serious stuff. I hate being too serious.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 3:20 PM

Oct 2008
I think some people need to learn about editing done to anime and Greg Ayres helps me out. Also, my good friend Wikipedia chimes in as well:
Wikipedia said:
The original creators of the anime that have been edited are usually not directly notified of the editing. It is up to the studios/copyright owners of anime as to whether or not to allow editing in their anime, and the ample number of anime edited for the United States would seem to indicate that the studios/copyright owners normally do not object. However, in some instances Japanese studios have refused to allow their work to be censored as a precondition of signing a U.S. release contracts.

After the Miyazaki/Nausicaa debacle a few years back, American anime companies learned a thing or two.

Kuyukly said:
I prefer arguing about subs vs dubs over serious stuff. I hate being too serious.

I agree with this for most of the versus issues as long as they don't turn into an all out flame war and then it's just people calling each other names and sounding like a bunch of 5 year old sailors. A versus thread can be really good and semi-intelligent, but all it takes is one troll, or drunken samurai, to mess all that up.
May 25, 2009 4:21 PM

Apr 2008
Kuyukly said:
Renza said:

yes yes i agree, its best to argue about the little stuff so no worries to offend people much .. :-D

MackDaddyHart said:

I agree with this for most of the versus issues as long as they don't turn into an all out flame war and then it's just people calling each other names and sounding like a bunch of 5 year old sailors. A versus thread can be really good and semi-intelligent, but all it takes is one troll, or drunken samurai, to mess all that up.

every agrument that holds no ground trys to belittle the other person, i do like the metaphore of a 5 year old sailor though which holds to both sides haha but people take things to seriously earlier i said i was worried quality of voice actors for series and people took it as a troll ...

I bet they are goign to bout horo in a nun outfit and give her a proper english accent =p
LvhinaMay 25, 2009 4:28 PM
May 25, 2009 7:10 PM

Oct 2007
not terribly happy due to s2 starting up, but i am glad to see funi grabbing something i would buy for a change
May 25, 2009 7:59 PM

Jul 2007
Good work funi.
May 30, 2009 3:47 PM

Aug 2008
Kuyukly said:
Antanaru said:

Frankly? Same sh*t. Once while watching some series I was wondering what group would release such lame crap. But everything was clear after ending credits: "english version by funimation". Butchering already bad series like Naruto etc. is all they're good for.

Capellabun said:
I've only watched a few episodes of Spice and Wolf and didn't find the voice acting to be anything more then most anime so when I watch it I probably won't be comparing it to the Japanese track.
Then you pretty much haven't seen it at all. Voice acting (especially Koshimizu Ami) is really good there. With different voices it's no loner same series. In most cases I wonder if it's even anime anymore.
Ii tenki desu ne...
May 30, 2009 5:22 PM
Oct 2008
Capellabun said:
I've only watched a few episodes of Spice and Wolf and didn't find the voice acting to be anything more then most anime so when I watch it I probably won't be comparing it to the Japanese track.
Then you pretty much haven't seen it at all. Voice acting (especially Koshimizu Ami) is really good there. With different voices it's no loner same series. In most cases I wonder if it's even anime anymore.

When I say "anything more than most anime" I don't mean that the voice acting wasn't good or that it was bad in anyway just wasn't anything that really stuck out to me. If it was great to you, that's fine but again I only watched the first few episodes, maybe whenever I get around to finishing it my impression will be different. I never judge the overall voice acting for a series by the first few episodes.

Honestly though, unless I'm really attached to the Japanese voices for a certain series or I felt the performances of the Japanese actors were great, if the dub is well done it doesn't bother me.

Also, Funimation doesn't have the license to Naruto that is Viz.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
10 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:37 AM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.