Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 24, 2009 1:23 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Awesome Episode.

Supreme animation quality.

The meeting with homunculus was done in a great style and the fights were awesome too and there was an awesome short scene between Hughes and Mustang after the credits

Next episode should be the awesome hospital episode..
AhenshihaelMay 24, 2009 1:27 AM
May 24, 2009 1:28 AM

Jul 2008
⁃ Ed is really quick on his feet. <3
⁃ Poor Denny and Maria. xD
⁃ Barry's backstory was drawn in an amusing style.
⁃ I really like how alchemy is animated in this series.
⁃ In general, the fights were pretty well animated in this episode.
⁃ Envy and Lust appeared. Unfortunately. I really don't like either characters.
⁃ Got to love Denny and Maria.
⁃ Kimblee appears for a brief moment.
⁃ Hughes and Roy get a pretty long phone conversation. And the usual get a wife talk. :D
⁃ Preview shows the hospital stuff, including Winry and Al angst.

BEGINNER
May 24, 2009 2:40 PM

Mar 2009
Great episode.

Loved the fight sequences and there was some good humor thrown in the mix.
Lust made a great entrance and finally a bit more Hughes humor was shown :D
May 24, 2009 3:03 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Great episode indeed. The fighting looked great, next should be just as good. But they gotta do something about that arm, tougher opponents probably await.

The gags are awesome as well.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 24, 2009 3:08 PM

Feb 2008
New freaks every episode. That's just great.
May 24, 2009 3:31 PM

Sep 2008
Hughes is the best.
For some reason, I wished that Ed fought a little more like Syaoran when his arm is busted. :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2009 3:41 PM

May 2007
Not much to say. Just waiting for new material. But the fight was nice to watch again.
May 24, 2009 4:02 PM

Mar 2009
The original anime's version of this part was excellent, this pulled it pretty well but seeing as the story is different, the really detailed, sinister stuff wasn't around this time.
Still, nice to see the Homunculi being very pro-active.
May 24, 2009 4:24 PM

Feb 2008
It was over before I knew what happened, excellent episode.

I wonder if his arm broke because Winry forgot a screw or because it just sucks since she 'improved' it with respect to rust and wear. Either way, she indeed needs to up her skills.

When will the new stuff arrive?
May 24, 2009 4:44 PM

Jan 2008
kuroshiroi said:

I wonder if his arm broke because Winry forgot a screw or because it just sucks since she 'improved' it with respect to rust and wear. Either way, she indeed needs to up her skills.

I believe it was because she forgot the screw.

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed this episode more than the last one.
May 24, 2009 5:06 PM
Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:

When will the new stuff arrive?

Soon, around the time Ed and Al meet Greed for the first time.
May 24, 2009 6:21 PM

Feb 2009
Perfect! The battles were amazing.

Winry will be back! >=]
May 24, 2009 7:10 PM

Jul 2008
good ep will enjoyed rmade e remember y i love fma cause this ep was wat made me fell in love with fma.lol cant wait for next ep!!!!!!!!
May 24, 2009 8:28 PM

Sep 2008
I loved this episode. :) And yeah, I'm pretty sure that the reason Ed's arm just broke all of a sudden was because she forgot the screw, and he was just rationalizing it by thinking that it was because she made it "better" yet less durable.

I liked watching the fight again too... Unfortunately I hate Envy, haha, so the entrance of the homunculi just made me make a face at them. The animation in this episode seemed really nice though~
May 24, 2009 8:37 PM
May 2008
Great animation and very nice action sequences!!! Nice but short back story for the death row inmates and even had some humor... one thing I noticed was that this episode seemed to slow the pace down compared to previous episodes... IMO.
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 24, 2009 9:21 PM

Aug 2008
I'm going to go ahead and say it. Besides that one episode where Scar fought Ed, this show is uglier than the original. There are times when I look at this show and think to myself "What the hell am I watching?" The animation was good, but it was weightless at the same time, so I don't really know what to think about it.

Ultimately, I just don't really see the point in going to Lab 5 itself, since the only real point was to introduce Ed to Envy and cause Al's crisis of conscience. But really since Al's total trust in Ed is shaken by Barry's off the cuff remarks, this development only undermines Ed and Al's relationship...which is why I was never a fan of this turn of events. Hopefully it' s different in the manga, and therefore, Brotherhood.

Since Hughes was funny though, I don't think this was a bad episode. Just ok.
May 24, 2009 9:53 PM
Mar 2009
funny with al countering how his body is empty against barry's
hes like u should be AHHH and WHATS WITH UR BODY! and he does that when al takes off his helmet

scary how envy can be so laidback and funny just walking out and explaining about ed's body and what to do with him...
homunculi are mysterious arent they always?

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
May 24, 2009 11:37 PM

Mar 2009
Though it felt a little rushed, this part was way better this time around. The apperance of Envy and Lust, was perfect. Winry in Central next, I love that part, can't wait to see how it all plays out!!! Urahara Out!!
Sent with Mal Updater
May 25, 2009 12:02 AM
Jul 2018
Finally Hughes talking about his family. 8D
Nice episode, the fighting was very good.
May 25, 2009 3:45 AM

Nov 2007
I also disliked how easily Al fell for Barry's words in the first series, manga and now here. You'd think that he would have a little more trust in his own brother than a criminal in a suit of armour =/. He needs a good wrench to the head coming his way. Hughes is hillarious as usual, great advice from a senior to a junior XD.
May 25, 2009 4:17 AM

May 2008
Al needs more fighting scenes, its seems like Ed does all the fighting

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 25, 2009 4:20 AM

Feb 2009
This was nicely done, the animation was great and it didn't feel rushed like some of the previous episodes.

Hughes still make me lol.
May 25, 2009 4:38 AM

Aug 2008
The first good FMA 2 episode. Mainly because of the lack of locational changes (excluding Hughes convo), and the great animation.
May 25, 2009 4:40 AM

Jun 2008
Wasn't really that impressed with fight. But Hughes made this episode more enjoyable.
May 25, 2009 4:49 AM

Nov 2008
Episode was awesome....lol hughes....lol 66...
episodes 6-8 have been best in this season! Looking forward for more :P
May 25, 2009 4:50 AM

Nov 2008
Alexstratz said:
This was nicely done, the animation was great and it didn't feel rushed like some of the previous episodes.

Hughes still make me lol.

Yeah got to agree, i felt same. I got anything to complain about this episode
May 25, 2009 5:12 AM

Apr 2008
i feel the 1st season is better o_o

May 25, 2009 5:44 AM

Feb 2008
Kantarou said:
I also disliked how easily Al fell for Barry's words in the first series, manga and now here. You'd think that he would have a little more trust in his own brother than a criminal in a suit of armour =/.
He's 10? years old and is a suit of armor, I don't think there's much needed to make him question his existence. I realize though that it's impossible to put yourself in Al's shoes.
May 25, 2009 6:05 AM

Jul 2007
noteDhero said:

Ultimately, I just don't really see the point in going to Lab 5 itself, since the only real point was to introduce Ed to Envy and cause Al's crisis of conscience. But really since Al's total trust in Ed is shaken by Barry's off the cuff remarks, this development only undermines Ed and Al's relationship...which is why I was never a fan of this turn of events. Hopefully it' s different in the manga, and therefore, Brotherhood.

Its in overall works as introduction for one character(Barry will stay for a bit longer this time ;]) and as a place where the first encounter with "storyline villains" happens.

The Fifth Lab, along with Isaac in Ep1 are two events to first show that the "storyline villains" have ties inside the military.

As for What Barry said and etc?

Let's just say that it will have an opposite outcome from FMA1 ;]
May 25, 2009 7:52 AM
Apr 2009
kuroshiroi said:
Kantarou said:
I also disliked how easily Al fell for Barry's words in the first series, manga and now here. You'd think that he would have a little more trust in his own brother than a criminal in a suit of armour =/.
He's 10? years old and is a suit of armor, I don't think there's much needed to make him question his existence. I realize though that it's impossible to put yourself in Al's shoes.
He's 14
May 25, 2009 7:58 AM
Nov 2007
I just loved the first part in the conversation between Al and Barry....It had pretty good fights, and its almost wierd to see how fast the series is going untill now. I mean if you compare it too allot of other series....
May 25, 2009 8:54 AM

Jul 2008
didnt remember anymore, i think it was different. its not a bad thing at all that i cant remember the 1st season since it still have a nice new touch.
yeah more winry next time.

May 25, 2009 9:28 AM

Aug 2008
Loved this episode. Especially when Lust and Envy showed up.

Barry seems more legendary this time round ^^.
May 25, 2009 9:38 AM

Aug 2008
Fai said:

Its in overall works as introduction for one character(Barry will stay for a bit longer this time ;]) and as a place where the first encounter with "storyline villains" happens.

The Fifth Lab, along with Isaac in Ep1 are two events to first show that the "storyline villains" have ties inside the military.

As for What Barry said and etc?

Let's just say that it will have an opposite outcome from FMA1 ;]

Well if Barry stays for longer, then I guess that's fine, I don't think we really needed another instance of the breach in military security, especially with what I think may come (depending on if it was different in the first show).
May 25, 2009 10:12 AM

Jun 2008
This episode really brought out Envy's character.
Nice intro!
^_^
May 25, 2009 11:13 AM

Jul 2008
the fight eh was fine ,
but had to XD at ed's broken arm XD
May 25, 2009 11:16 AM

Apr 2009
Awesome ep, as usual. They did a great job adapting from the manga. I especially loved the animation during Barry's backstory. And I can't get over how well Envy's new voice suits him. :3

We're getting very close to a certain event most of us have been dreading. Get your hankies ready, guys. ;w;
May 25, 2009 11:20 AM
Oct 2008
magelet said:
We're getting very close to a certain event most of us have been dreading. Get your hankies ready, guys. ;w;

I'm a huge baby when it comes to that event (or anything like it)so I may actually skip it... :(. It's too soon!
May 25, 2009 11:27 AM

Dec 2008
I really enjoyed this episode, I probably enjoyed it more than the first time I saw it in the previous FMA which made me wonder why. Maybe it's because I knew the turn of events. But I think it might be due to the arrangement of this "arc" (not really an arc, but I can't think of a word to describe this hahaha). I really liked how it's in the beginning of the seriess rather than how it was near the end of FMA1; it just made a lot more sense to me..

I thought the fights was great, there is still an essence of mystery while I was watching it since it's been so long since i watched FMA1. So I was all ":O!!" when viewers find out that Ed is actually fighting against two people XD

noteDhero said:
I thought the point of them going was to check whether or not they WERE carrying out the human transmutations? They are 14/15 years old....still kids and curious. Makes sense to me, especially since they sneaked away hahahaha.

I disagree with you on how Barry's words was undermining Ed and Al's relationship. As human beings, there is always a point in our lives when we may doubt about things, especially when it comes to something we really really care about. No matter how strong a relationship between two people is, there is always a possibility for there to be doubts. No matter how much we may not want to think about certain things, some of us just end up doing it anyways.

Barry really hit a very sensitive topic, he basically denied Al's human existence. For a 14 year old kid, I think it's a very scary thing to think about. I see no fault in him for feeling uneasy and faltered by such ideas and thoughts. If I remember correctly from FMA1, I thought this turn of events eventually strengthened the relationship between the two brothers (with Winry's help of course)? Now because of that, I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode to see the confrontation between the three childhood friends :)
robbydesuMay 25, 2009 11:30 AM
May 25, 2009 12:13 PM

Dec 2008
With no doubt, great episode.
Alright, let's begin:
First, I was surprised that Barry got here a little description, in the previous anime, I remember he got a better introduction (Remember whet he's done to Winry?), second, Al really got a rush from what 66 said to him. LOL
Third, finally, the-annoying-Gluttony-with-the-annoying-voice wasn't appear, thank god near Lust and Envy and of course I loved how Envy brought Ed out to his little brother. But Hughes... Man, I thought that he will relax from his family in this time, but I was disappointed from that (This means we will need to hear on this little monster, Elicia, many times again -____-;)

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
May 25, 2009 12:17 PM

Aug 2008
But if they never even got that far, that wasn't the point as far as the story is concerned. I get the reason why Ed and Al wanted to go, but if the whole place was going to blow up before either of them even got past "security" then it really was just a device to introduce Barry and Envy.

I understand that, and for Al as a character, it's good territory to get into. My problem is that it comes from Barry...a psycho killer who clearly isn't even serious about what he is saying. For someone as collected as Al is, I would have believed it more coming from a more serious, or closer character planting seeds in Al's mind as opposed to someone just blurting it out and Al taking it as a fact. It diminishes the intelligence that I see in Al a lot, but that's just me.

It always just struck me as a superficial argument to have in Al's head and never felt weighty or natural.
May 25, 2009 12:36 PM

Feb 2009
Great Episode! I'm really looking forward to next weeks episode!!!
May 25, 2009 12:38 PM

Mar 2008
Amazing ep as always XD
Stupid Barry. Now Al will have a really tough time coz of him. Hospital ep next time. YAY!
May 25, 2009 12:43 PM

Jan 2008
Awesome episode. This series is really becoming fast paced. The fight originally took like 2 episodes and now it took one episode.
May 25, 2009 12:46 PM

Feb 2008
Kazekage_Gaara said:
This series is really becoming fast paced. The fight originally took like 2 episodes and now it took one episode.
The original FMA was boring, this is not.
May 25, 2009 1:09 PM

Jul 2007
EnvitChan said:
With no doubt, great episode.
Alright, let's begin:
First, I was surprised that Barry got here a little description, in the previous anime, I remember he got a better introduction (Remember whet he's done to Winry?),

Introduction? More like character butchery

FMA1 Barry = Transvestite Shadow of his manga/fma2 self...

noteDhero said:

I understand that, and for Al as a character, it's good territory to get into. My problem is that it comes from Barry...a psycho killer who clearly isn't even serious about what he is saying. For someone as collected as Al is, I would have believed it more coming from a more serious, or closer character planting seeds in Al's mind as opposed to someone just blurting it out and Al taking it as a fact. It diminishes the intelligence that I see in Al a lot, but that's just me.

Imagine one day waking up as suit of armour who can't feel anything.

You don't remember the accident itself. You remember nothing of what happened. Then you see people blatantly refusing to let their beloved ones go even after they are lost. Again...again....again...

How can he know that he is human? How can he know that he is who he thinks he is?

What is the reason of his existence? The Proof that he is Al?

And Al i s just a 12 year old boy. A younger brother at that... Its the time when they get various thoughts about their life. Being unneeded one, etc.

Its not that Barry MADE Al think that. The things have been piling up in his head and Barry just opened the vent by saying something Al might have wondered by himself.
May 25, 2009 1:24 PM

Aug 2008
I think those are all reasons that why Al would think he is alive: Ed told him that he lost his body and he gave an arm to bring him back because he couldn't let him go. Maybe it was my misunderstanding, but I thought that Al remembered what happened, but didn't remember The Truth which is what Al was saying that he didn 't remember.

I don't feel like that's the case since Al hasn't expressed any of this, which is why it felt superficial to me. If I got the sense that Al was ever questioning his existence before this episode, I wouldn't have had a problem, but the fact is that he hasn't.

As far as Al's thoughts of himself, it's never explored, so at this point we can only fill in the holes the way we as viewers see fit. Al never seems like he thinks of himself as the unneeded one. In fact, it feels more like he is very aware of how much his is needed for Ed not to end up throwing himself in ridiculous situations left and right.

We have two different opinions on how Al is portrayed, which has more to do with him not really being filled out as a character more than anything. I'm going to guess that you're speaking completely from the manga, but it doesn't really change the fact that Al isn't really presented in the manner that leads him to take Barry's words so seriously.
May 25, 2009 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
Good episode
I liked seeing Ed and Al fight
even if not together
May 25, 2009 1:51 PM

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
I think those are all reasons that why Al would think he is alive: Ed told him that he lost his body and he gave an arm to bring him back because he couldn't let him go. Maybe it was my misunderstanding, but I thought that Al remembered what happened, but didn't remember The Truth which is what Al was saying that he didn 't remember.

I don't feel like that's the case since Al hasn't expressed any of this, which is why it felt superficial to me. If I got the sense that Al was ever questioning his existence before this episode, I wouldn't have had a problem, but the fact is that he hasn't.

As far as Al's thoughts of himself, it's never explored, so at this point we can only fill in the holes the way we as viewers see fit. Al never seems like he thinks of himself as the unneeded one. In fact, it feels more like he is very aware of how much his is needed for Ed not to end up throwing himself in ridiculous situations left and right.

We have two different opinions on how Al is portrayed, which has more to do with him not really being filled out as a character more than anything. I'm going to guess that you're speaking completely from the manga, but it doesn't really change the fact that Al isn't really presented in the manner that leads him to take Barry's words so seriously.
Well for me, I'm speaking from a HUMAN perspective. Real life perspective. Just because it was never shown, doesn't mean that there is no possibility of that insecurity being there. People don't usually wear their hearts and thoughts out on their sleeve. Just because a person does not mention an insecurity of theirs does not mean it doesn't exist. I mean, you can't just simply dismiss something as superficial based solely on the fact it wasn't mentioned before.

I understand it's just an anime, but I'm assuming that these characters have similar emotions and feelings as we do. If I was like Al, at age 14...let me tell you...that is such a vulnerable age. I mean yes they have gone through a lot, more than what most 14/15 year olds went through, but it is still a period of time in which they are still growing up. I mean, even if Al didn't have that insecurity to begin with, Barry's "argument" was logical, it made sense...and it is quite possible. In combination with what Ed said to Al last episode....that fear and doubt can easily be created. And just because Barry is not an "important" character...what difference does that make? Sometimes we hear and learn things from people we don't know that well and regardless of how much we may not want to believe some of the things they say, they might still hold a fragment of truth.
May 25, 2009 2:08 PM

Aug 2008
I think that's the problem, you're talking about it from a human perspective, and I'm talking about it from a literary perspective. Is it possible for those doubts to exist? Yes, of course. Is it possible for those doubt to not have existed? Yes of course. My problem is that as a story, we can't assume that something so big existed without being spoken or even alluded to by some off remark by Al. That's why it's superficial from a writing perspective to me.

I'm saying that if we're talking about a character like Al in the real world (working on what we do know) I'd think that if he had ever questioned his existence then we would have heard it. Al is not the average 12 or 14 year old. Besides the fact that he has gone through a hell that no one can empathize with, he is practically the caretaker of his older brother, providing a rational balance and hesitancy to Ed's rash antics. To me it would take someone as thoughtful as Al to shake his confidence...someone maybe like Scar, or even Shou (if we're going on the psycho side). Not Barry. Besides the fact that it was obvious that Barry was baiting him, I'd think that after much of what Al has seen within the content of the show that he wouldn't take someone like Barry seriously over his brother.

But I could be greatly overestimating Al as a character. Perhaps he is more foolish than Ed.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.