Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Apr 6, 2011 9:41 AM

May 2010
Hyoroemon said:
What item will you get? Hahaha

Wonder why some idiots said "This series is f****n with my mind!". Duh, compare to my suffering listening to my friend speaking about time space relation( and worse, I understood it all) this is nothing.

Just read something about endless eight here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090808095434AAc2vO7 hahaha. Fans rage after part V.

Even...! Now we see all ..Endless Eight is very good!
Apr 11, 2011 10:36 AM

Aug 2010
Love Mikuru-chan!
Oct 2, 2011 5:34 PM

Dec 2009
clannad4ever said:
great way to start S2 :p

i'm aware of the famous endless eight,but still,maybe the rest of the season will be awesome :)

5/5

This is how I feel.

Curious, does Haruhi remember what happened at the end of season 1? It seems not. What about the rest of the characters? Hmmm.
Such junk...
Jan 22, 2012 7:31 AM

Aug 2011
Best fucking episode of the entire show, probably. I doubt the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya will top this. 5/5

*applauds*
Tiago97Jan 22, 2012 7:37 AM
Feb 27, 2012 6:09 PM

Jul 2011
If I have to watch this damn August 17th - 31st time loop one more time I'm gonna go batshit insane.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Jun 24, 2012 3:51 AM

Feb 2011
Well, that was certainly mindfuck when they were actually sleeping for 3 years and the old(?) kyon didn't even know they were there. Holy shit cakes.
Jul 14, 2012 1:20 PM

May 2012
Nice episode :D
Aug 2, 2012 11:23 PM
Jul 2012
Wait i saw this episode already. i confused
Jun 14, 2013 2:03 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow without me knowing, I watched this episode in the chronological order of the 2009 version =_=; good going animefreak...well I kind of figured when on episode 12 of animefreak, I was watching the first part of Endless Eight. Oh well. I did like this episode though.
Dec 4, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2013
It was a good episode. Haruhi never cease to make me lol

But there's one thing I don't get, if Yuki froze time in the chamber, isn't there supposed to be 2 Kyon and even 2 Mikuru? Even Kyon said ''Then when I came into your room the first, I was sleeping in this one too?!?''. And if we say that there isn't 2 Kyon, then Haruhi should have never met Kyon during the last year... I'm confused.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 10, 2014 5:17 PM

Jan 2011
At some point, there were two Kyon in Nagato's apartment. The one we saw in the first season talking to her, let's call him Kyon A, and the one we saw this season sleeping in the next room, let's call him Kyon B. There is also a Mikuru A, who was staying at the club with Kyon A and the others etc., and the Mikuru B that was frozen alongside Kyon B.

At some July 7th Nagato will freeze Kyon B and Mikuru B in her room. 2-3 years later, Kyon A will come in and talk with Nagato. He will also talk with Mikuru A etc. Several months later (3 years after Kyon B was frozen) Kyon A and Mikuru A will travel back in time 3 years, essentially becoming Kyon B and Mikuru B. Just a bit later that day, Nagato will unfreeze Kyon B and Mikuru B.

Not entirely sure if that is right, but my future self will travel back in time to fix it if needed.

I also see no problem with the way things played out in itself, as the older (so Mikuru C) even poked Mikuru B. And they talked about whether such a paradox does exist etc.

--

Overall the best thing for me was young Haruhi: "trespassing of course"
Mar 31, 2014 7:11 AM

Dec 2010
It was a pretty enjoyable episode, despite the shittalks I've been hearing about this season.
Apr 8, 2014 2:11 PM

Oct 2013
OMG, 4 same episodes and they still didn't finish...It really is endless, I started feeling like Nagato! Damn!
Aug 30, 2014 2:28 AM

Oct 2013
Kyon and Mikuru were sleeping together for 3 years. n_____n

Itsuki ees da bes

10/10 episode. Seriously, one of the best episodes of the series - loopy, hilarious, and tons of fun.

Endless eight soon... woooooo

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 30, 2014 7:00 PM
Dec 10, 2014 4:40 PM

Jan 2012
Nice new ending.I love when mikuru cries...
they sleep together for three years

Jan 19, 2015 8:40 AM

Jan 2014
Nice episode, I'd put it in the podium with "Mikuru Asahina's Adventures" being in the winner's spot.

But all I can think of right now is the fact that next will be the starting point of the heavily bashed "Endless Eight Arc". Hope to manage to enter the Endless Eight survivors' club.
Mar 19, 2015 3:33 AM

Jun 2013
Before this second season, I watched the move first. So I'll now know the mysteries behind the former.
After this episode, the "Endless Eight" begins!
Oct 6, 2015 2:54 PM
Feb 2015
This episode was very interesting, what a plot twist

Looking forward to this season
Feb 19, 2016 8:15 PM

Jan 2013
[Watching in broadcast order]

"John Smith" lmao
Alright ... so they were frozen for 3 years, that means they arent in the world they left behind right?
What about the Asahina and Kyon from the world (reality / timeline) they travelled back in?

NwAurion said:
At some point, there were two Kyon in Nagato's apartment. The one we saw in the first season talking to her, let's call him Kyon A, and the one we saw this season sleeping in the next room, let's call him Kyon B. There is also a Mikuru A, who was staying at the club with Kyon A and the others etc., and the Mikuru B that was frozen alongside Kyon B.

At some July 7th Nagato will freeze Kyon B and Mikuru B in her room. 2-3 years later, Kyon A will come in and talk with Nagato. He will also talk with Mikuru A etc. Several months later (3 years after Kyon B was frozen) Kyon A and Mikuru A will travel back in time 3 years, essentially becoming Kyon B and Mikuru B. Just a bit later that day, Nagato will unfreeze Kyon B and Mikuru B.

Not entirely sure if that is right, but my future self will travel back in time to fix it if needed.

I also see no problem with the way things played out in itself, as the older (so Mikuru C) even poked Mikuru B. And they talked about whether such a paradox does exist etc.

I guess that makes sense.
I just cant get over the fact that if it were me I would feel like an "alien" to them, since they came from 3 years ago.
On the other hand, it's a loop so they've actually been the same Kyon and Mikuru the entire time.

AAAHAHHhhhhh ... time-travel is a pain in the ass to figure out.
Mar 11, 2016 1:18 AM

Apr 2009
This should be renamed as The Melancholy of Kyon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2016 1:53 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
First episode of this new season, and is a clear continuation of the first season, so fun and crazy at par together with the great paradoxes of the series.

--
Primer episodio de esta nueva temporada, y es una clara continuación de la primera temporada, así que diversión y locuras a la par, junto a las grandes paradojas de la serie.
Aug 25, 2016 10:05 PM

Mar 2015
Chrono

Damn Endless Eight!!! I can feel Nagato right now. She endured this torture for more than 10,000 times, damn!! Will this going to continue for the rest of 13 episodes?? Noooo

3.1/5
Jun 25, 2017 3:52 PM
Sep 2015
Wait, is the "I am here" message that Nagato gave MC the same characters that Haruhi had him paint on the ground?
Aug 15, 2017 5:25 AM

Jul 2008
Endless 8 4....omg this is actually starting to become painful to watch....KYON SAY SOMETHING DAMN IT ANYTHING!!!!
Nov 21, 2017 6:54 PM

Sep 2013
So the time loop continues...I wonder how many episodes it will last!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 8, 2018 1:32 PM

May 2016
I don't know what's so special about annoying Haruhi.
Sep 7, 2019 3:31 AM

Aug 2018
Truly a magnificent episode, possibly the best in the whole series. So much setting up for what will come later.
Jan 14, 2020 10:54 AM
Apr 2016
Higurashi vibes were strong this episode, it was scary! I think it's definitely love that she wants--after all, for anything else, she'd just FORCE everyone to do it with her.
Jan 22, 2020 4:03 AM

Feb 2019
It's back! I tried to follow the original broadcast order so I started rewatching the first 7 episodes of the 2006 one (thankfully Netflix makes it easy for me to watch it because they put it in that order).

No OP yet, huh? But ED is nice. Still prefer Hare Hare Yukai for now, let's see if that'll change.

This was a very interesting episode with all the time travelling. It was hilarious to see that Kyon was actually the one who drew those pseudo-Nazca lines lol Regardless of its accuracy or veracity, I really liked the time travel mumbo jumbo here and despite seeming like it used a lot of difficult or even random words, I did understand some things without the characters needing to explain it (like when Yuki explained how they got back to the present time but Kyon was confused, I wasn't) so I guess it at least makes sense? I don't know, it was just so interesting and fun to watch.

It seems like time travelling here is something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. You can't really "change" the past, what you're doing is just fulfilling the present, which makes sense, especially for this series. Still, didn't expect that Kyon and Mikuru were there for 3 years, suspended in time. Kyon's gone all over the place this episode haha but now a lot of things make sense in hindsight, such as why Haruhi asked if she had ever met Kyon before. Also, it's funny how Haruhi specifically looks for aliens, future people, and espers because Kyon answered in the affirmative for those three but was hesitant about people from other dimensions. And he also wore the uniform for North High which led her to go to North High. So technically, Kyon getting dragged into all of this is Kyon's own fault, because he got dragged into this. It goes round and round but is so interesting.

Somehow a lot of it feels melancholic. Every time there's future Mikuru and all that time travelling and the bit Haruhi said about 16 years being a long time, can't help but feel that one day this fun bunch will just split up and won't see each other anymore, one of the reasons being one is an alien and the other a time traveller. Kinda makes me sad.

Also, 7th grade Haruhi is cute. Somehow her personality that apparently doesn't change just makes her even cuter.
Mar 15, 2021 7:14 PM

Jun 2014
The fourth episode of the "Endless Eight." Virtually nothing has changed from the past couple of episodes, lol.

May 10, 2021 9:24 PM

Jan 2019
Watching in chronological order. Growing tired of the loop given that nothing is changing.
Jul 24, 2021 8:27 AM

Aug 2020
[Chronological order]

The overall scores for season 1 (7.86) compared to season 2 (7.22) are quite concerning. Could be caused by this time loop dilemma.

Anyways for this episode, my god did I waste my time. I was on my phone for most of the time. Why cant they just speed up the process. I understand that for each time loop, the MC's deja vu becomes more apparent to himself. But you don't have to repeat the entire thing, just add scenes that are important and cut that aren't. Speed run through the time loop until the MC discovers what Haruhi's desire is.

My brains will go nuts if the next episode is just another repeat. SPEED RUN THROUGH IT.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 29, 2021 5:38 PM

Jan 2020
It's pretty interesting seeing the difference for each endless eight episode. I really liked the way this episode started off!

Sep 19, 2021 12:01 PM

Feb 2014
Broadcast order watcher here.

Endless Eight right out of the bat, huh? and the fourth episode at that, oof.
Dec 24, 2021 10:32 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

Coming here after that Boredom episode in first season.

So a tanabata episode this time, but hey things got a bit tricky with Kyon and Mikuru traveling 3 years back in time. And so most probably we also got the reason why Haruhi came to this high school. Ngl adult Mikuru's always too hot<3. Also 7th grade Haruhi was as bossy as her current self.
Jan 31, 2022 7:51 AM

Dec 2007
mind blowing episode from the start lol.
lot of mikuru in one episode.
Oct 25, 2022 1:51 PM
May 2019
ı ver very liked it but ı know the concept ı fearing from watching same episode again and again
Jan 5, 2023 3:51 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
(Watching in the chronological order - Endless Eight Part 4)

Yeah I think they're going to do it. I think they are going to go the full 8 episodes without re-using a single shot. All the same events, yet all unique at the same time. Maybe it's annoying- but it's also impressive. Or maybe I'm going mad, because I'm legit enjoying watching what is essentially the same thing over and over again. Maybe it's because that even though it's very VERY little, each episode is more or less building on the last one. That extra line of dialogue or two somehow keeping this fresh against all odds. Speaking of dialogue, I can't exactly tell, but I wonder if the re-recorded every single identical line as well. 

On a side note, Haruhi really looking more like a K-on character rather than a Clannad character in this episode. And on another side note, these are easily the best yukata designs so far. Maybe they're getting better and better??!! And on one more side note, I love how at certain intervals in this episode, it actually felt like a horror film. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 5, 2023 12:54 PM
Feb 2018
seriously dude keep repeating the same shit over and over again I'm out!
Jan 13, 2023 11:58 AM
Jan 2023
Most important episode in haruhi suzumiya series
Jan 18, 2023 11:21 AM
Feb 2019
ah shjt. here the final ep from the last season again!
Feb 26, 2023 3:12 PM

Jul 2022
I'm being blown away, I'm loving it.
Mar 16, 2023 6:55 AM
Jun 2022
I hate the endless eight.
May 30, 2023 4:37 PM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological- ep15

endless eight 3

this is the first episode that actually had upgraded the animation rather than just playing with the environment. it's also notable that the brightness was played with in the beach scene.

at the start i thought my kyo's sister theory is wrong since she's watching TV as well. but then she said "he's going to hit." and after that "see?". she hasn't said that at all 'til now.

another thing notable is kyon's dialogue's changes, not only at the start guessing haruhi's lines but at the restaurant at the start. and i feel that nagato noticed that too, since it's the first time she drank ice drink (?)
Jul 1, 2023 6:23 AM
May 2023
This anime disturbed me
Feb 18, 4:34 PM
Feb 2021
Endless Eight IV - Chronological Order
The Deja Vu and Paranoia seems to be getting stronger.
Feb 19, 9:27 PM

Apr 2023
Watching this anime in chronological order is like being Meguka: it's suffering...😩
Feb 27, 9:24 AM

Aug 2019
I've put off watching this second season for too long lol time to finally get into it. Loved this first episode, although I thought we would get a bit more of 7th grade Haruhi, but who knows there could be more ahead. I mean where would she have learned that alien language for the message?

Next episode is where the pain really starts though... I am not ready for this
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Dec 2023
Chronological - Loving the series so far, but what a fucking stupid and needlessly confusing way to do a rollout. With the Broadcast format, there's an extremely wonky sense of pacing and structure and with the Chronological format... Actually, it's mostly fine. Sure, you lose the S1 climax, but (mostly) retain flow and consistency. The Endless Eight arc is shaping up to be an abomination though, regardless or watch order.
Either way, the Broadcast format seems like a decision made with no consideration or confidence. This is the height of hubris, but I feel like with even the slightest amount of creativity, KyoAni could've structured the series in a way that kept viewer engagement and didn't totally jumble the plot. Lord knows why they felt the need to do what they did.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

535 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:07 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 16, 2009

470 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 10:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.