Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 18, 2009 12:55 PM
Mar 2009
wasnt it bad for al to be stuck to the papers? arent the papers important enough NOT BE RIPPED FROM AN ARMOR? lol ed admitted it was good to be small!!! ROFL

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
May 18, 2009 1:01 PM

Feb 2008
Argh... damn cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next episode.
Armstrong was hilarious as always.
May 18, 2009 1:18 PM

Oct 2007
Another great episode. I keep looking forward to this anime every week, not in the least for the amazing OP. It manages to get me in the right mood for the episode.

Sheska makes a really nice appearance. I also love when Gluttony goes psycho, he's really scary. Also props to Armstrong and his epic smothering :P

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
May 18, 2009 1:19 PM

Jul 2008
was nice epi,still the same as 1st season with some added scenes if i remembered right.
cant wait for the fights><

May 18, 2009 1:30 PM

Jul 2008
only one thing needed to say Fullmetal Alchemist is awesome Armstrong ripped that episode to shreds :D
May 18, 2009 2:55 PM

Mar 2009
Armstrong was funny as always, but I''m still missing Hughes. Only 1 short scene for him in this episode :(

Next week's fight will be epic :D
May 18, 2009 3:45 PM

May 2007
Good episode. Nice to see them moving along at a nice pace.
May 18, 2009 4:21 PM

Jul 2008
vindemon64 said:
Good episode. Nice to see them moving along at a nice pace.

this
and looking forward to next ep =D
May 18, 2009 5:45 PM

Oct 2007
This episode is great and I'm glad they're speeding things up. It's getting closer and closer to where it gets different and I'm excited XD
May 18, 2009 8:29 PM

Apr 2009
MAN I loved this episode. Can't believe we are at Lab 5 already. But then again this is what happens when there aren't any "fillers" to the story.

I absolutely can't wait to see the rest of the manga (aside from these first episodes) animated! It'll be here before we know it and then all the people that compare this to FMA 1 won't have anything to compare to. It'll be like a "brand new series" ;)
May 18, 2009 9:21 PM

Sep 2008
magelet said:
I'm somewhat inclined to think that the people who keep complaining about the SD haven't read the manga, and think that this series should be an angst-filled train to angsttown like FMA1. While I agree that there are a few places where the SD doesn't quite fit/seems to break the overall "flow", I'm happy with it overall. The SD is part of what makes FMA FMA.

no i haven't read the manga and i'm not comparing this with the original series. I personally think this version is great so far, i'm just not a fan of the type of comedy the manga uses. But it doesen't mean i won't love brotherhood because i am.
May 18, 2009 10:51 PM

Jul 2008
well things seems to be going pretty fast- scar beaten up, library burned down, sheska showing up, and the discovery of the hidden ingredient of the stone, things are progressing well
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 19, 2009 12:57 AM

Apr 2009
Nice episode, nice pace.
May 19, 2009 6:54 AM

May 2008
And so, Laboratory 5 is beginning <3 I loved those eps..

May 19, 2009 10:40 AM

Feb 2009
It was an ok episode I guess, but I can't wait till Barry the Chopper makes his entrance ;]
As well as Ed's fight with the other one, whos name's slipped my mind >.>
May 19, 2009 12:07 PM

Feb 2009
The episode was comperehensive with the philosephers stone bit, which added a lot of insight. I liked how they have some comedy relief in the episodes which is always a plus. The series looks like it has potential and for the first time I am being optimistic about the later stages!
May 19, 2009 1:22 PM
Dec 2007
Solid storytelling and direction in this episode. Much more efficient and a bertter narration than in the first season for sure.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 19, 2009 2:26 PM

May 2007
Great episode once again... I totally forgot what happened at lab 5, so can't wait for next episode :)

May 19, 2009 6:47 PM

Jan 2008
Great ep. Solid. So many things happened and lots of LOL too.
May 19, 2009 7:34 PM

Aug 2008
Very good. But everything is happening quickly too much.
May 19, 2009 7:37 PM

Jun 2007
Sapta said:
Sorry to break the flow of "loved it" but I didn't like it that much. But I am noticing that it's always taking me 2-3 viewings to like the new series episodes. They are in fact quite good, but I can't help compare it to FMA1 in my first viewing. Anyway, what I didn't like-

1. The Scar-homunculus fight was too short.
2. How Sheska (I always thought her name was Cheska when I watched FMA1 dubbed !!) was introduced. I mean not how she introduced herself and all coz that was very good and funny but how Ed and Al were suddenly taken to a fired ex-employee seemed like "rushed" (oh no here's that word again, sorry). Anyway when I watched that part a second time, it did seem quite logical for the military to keep such information.

3. How Ed and Al revealed the truth to Ross and Brosh themselves and then requested them to keep quiet about it didn't feel right with me. Obviously they had to tell Armstrong. In FMA1 Ross overheard it which I personally found better.

4. Was it just me or did it seem like the conversation where Hughes gives Sheska the job misses a few lines? like Sheska saying she can reproduce all the records or Hughes confirming that she can do it. In the episode, it showed Sheska saying she memorized the records and Hughes immediately saying "Alright, let's go through the procedures" . A trifle thing but well it's bugging me.

5. Still can't find a stand-out/moving music theme. Arghhh.

Anyway, I'm sure i would like it on my 2nd viewing. A few things I liked in my 1st viewing-

1. How Gluttony sniffed out Scar and then started the attack.
2. Sheska looked cuter and way funnier.
3. Ross and Brosh were great, and where Al tells them he wears the armour as a hobby, it was so funny.

EDIT: I watched Tomodachi & AsuNoSubs. Didn't like their OP translation. I'll download Eclipse once they release it.

I agree with most of what your saying. This episode went back to feeling like the first 2 episodes. It jumped around way to much and left things open as to assume the viewer knew what happed or what was going to happen. With that said, I don't think I would have been able to understand this episode if it wasn't for watching the first season. I would have probably had to watch it again to pick up on some of the things they skimmed over.

I'm not exactly sure what to think about this series.
1) If they where making this series in the hopes to grab new fans then I think it's only going to confuse them if the future episodes are anything like this.
2) If they where making this to please manga fans then their obviously doing a good job since they seem to be the only ones enjoying this whole heartedly.
3) If they where making this as a continuation of the first season then I think they could have done a way better job starting it.
4) If they're doing this for money... then it all makes sense.
May 19, 2009 8:28 PM
Oct 2008
I don't think this series is confusing without having prior knowledge of the first series and the manga. I believe we've had a few people even state on the forums that they thought Brotherhood was good without having read the manga or watched the first anime series.

I'm not sure what was left open in this episode honestly, and anything that was left open is most likely going to be covered again later on. I haven't read the beginning chapters of the manga or watched the first series in years so for me it was like watching it for the first time. I think it was all pretty understandable and most of the things mentioned above by the previous poster seem like minor things that really wouldn't have made the overall story or this episode incomprehensible.
May 20, 2009 1:29 AM

Jul 2007
DeathfireD said:

1) If they where making this series in the hopes to grab new fans then I think it's only going to confuse them if the future episodes are anything like this.

I have yet to see at least one new fan who would be confused by the plot. So far its quite clear and easy to follow. The only ones who are confused or overflowing with anger are the ones who idolize FMA1 way too much.

DeathfireD said:

4) If they're doing this for money... then it all makes sense.

Everything, no matter what no matter when is done "for money". No one does something that they think would yeld no money for them.

DeathfireD said:

3) If they where making this as a continuation of the first season then I think they could have done a way better job starting it.

We had continuation of FMA1....
With nazi....hitler.....and....nazi....who....were....in...mecha....contaminated....by....cthulhu
*insert random envy snake here and forget it*

Thent we had a lame finisher OVA where we apparently found out that Ed's children all are clones of Ed, Al and Winry, since genetics truly don't work.

FMA1 is done and thank the gods, its done.
May 20, 2009 2:11 AM
Aug 2008
really.. i want to c somethin new
May 20, 2009 2:27 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
that was great!! i love that they're going at such a fast pace but I'm really missing the darker mood that was in the first FMA.
p r o f i l e 👀
May 20, 2009 8:00 AM

Feb 2008
I thought that was a great episode, kinda wished they'd put in that part when you see Sheska in the library beforehand though. Gave her more character. I prefer the Sheska in this series though.
4Eyed said:
It's a remake. What did you expect? Get real.
May 20, 2009 9:05 AM

Feb 2009
this new version is better than the other, i like it so much, but the true problems come.
May 20, 2009 11:35 AM

Dec 2007
the art was creepy but everything except it was more or less ok.
can't wait for the second ep, gotta be some action.
May 20, 2009 4:44 PM

Jun 2007
Fai said:
DeathfireD said:

I have yet to see at least one new fan who would be confused by the plot. So far its quite clear and easy to follow. The only ones who are confused or overflowing with anger are the ones who idolize FMA1 way too much.

I've only seen two people make posts about never seeing FMA1 and reading the manga and 1 of them admitted to not liking this series.

PS. I never said every episode was confusing. I specifically said this episode would have been if I had never seen FMA1. I can guarantee you that most of the people that haven't seen FM1 or read the manga probably didn't even realize what half of the shit was that happened in this episode. "omg the stone is made from people" is probably the highlight for them lol.

You can keep your head in the manga all you want but the fact that this series is all over the place is painfully obvious. I liked the two episodes before this one and I was hopping for more like that but it seems they took two steps back and started rushing shit again. Not sure why you like this but whatever floats your boat I guess.
May 20, 2009 5:42 PM
Oct 2008
DeathfireD said:
Fai said:
DeathfireD said:

I've only seen two people make posts about never seeing FMA1 and reading the manga and 1 of them admitted to not liking this series.

PS. I never said every episode was confusing. I specifically said this episode would have been if I had never seen FMA1. I can guarantee you that most of the people that haven't seen FM1 or read the manga probably didn't even realize what half of the shit was that happened in this episode. "omg the stone is made from people" is probably the highlight for them lol.

You can keep your head in the manga all you want but the fact that this series is all over the place is painfully obvious. I liked the two episodes before this one and I was hopping for more like that but it seems they took two steps back and started rushing shit again. Not sure why you like this but whatever floats your boat I guess.

What about this episode would have been confusing? You really haven't explained that because to me most of it was pretty straight forward and clear.

-Ed and Al went to the library and found out it was burned down.
-Meet Ross and Bosh who lead them to Sheshka
-They get Marcoh's notes from her and decipher them.
-Find out the stone is made from humans
-Realize that there's more to it and investigate
-They sneak into Lab.

That's basically all this episode was and I'm not sure what more needed to be said in order to make it more understandable to the viewers.

This series is not that bad, and it's not just those who enjoy the manga who like it...
May 20, 2009 9:32 PM

Jan 2009
Good ep, but I can see how this might have been confusing to those who have not experienced the original series or manga. So much information is revealed in this ep that it did see a bit rushed at times.

The transition between them hiring Shiska to rewrite the documents and her actually presenting the papers felt real rushed.

Oh well, if it means we'll have some new material within the next 5 eps, then I'm all for the fast pace!

May 20, 2009 9:45 PM

Jul 2008
4Eyed said:

In due time.
May 21, 2009 2:05 AM

Aug 2008
Wow already at labatory 5. Awesome.

Sheska was adorable in this episode, when she goes into fantasy mode about branch 1. Brilliant.

I was fully expecting a mini skirt statement from Mustang after the declaration of becoming Furher. Haha.

Armstrong is complete and utter win. I like the comedic moments between Ross and Brosch this episode. Seems I'll like them a lot more this time round.

Can't wait for the fighting of the next episode. I'm loving this at the moment.
May 21, 2009 5:15 PM

May 2009
Fai said:
have yet to see at least one new fan who would be confused by the plot. So far its quite clear and easy to follow. The only ones who are confused or overflowing with anger are the ones who idolize FMA1 way too much.

I'm a new fan and I haven't been confused at all so far.

Anyway, from the perspective of someone who has never read the manga or watched the original series: I liked the episode but I agree it felt a bit rushed. For the most part, I've had no problems with the pacing of the series, but this one really did seem to pack more than should probably be in a single episode into one. They could've ended it with them discovering the truth imo, or after they first find out about the fifth laboratory but before they go to it.

That said, it was a good episode overall. Lots of plot advancement, and I definitely want to see where this all goes. Really liking the series overall so far.
May 21, 2009 5:47 PM

Dec 2008
Nyktos said:
Fai said:
have yet to see at least one new fan who would be confused by the plot. So far its quite clear and easy to follow. The only ones who are confused or overflowing with anger are the ones who idolize FMA1 way too much.

I'm a new fan and I haven't been confused at all so far.

Anyway, from the perspective of someone who has never read the manga or watched the original series: I liked the episode but I agree it felt a bit rushed. For the most part, I've had no problems with the pacing of the series, but this one really did seem to pack more than should probably be in a single episode into one. They could've ended it with them discovering the truth imo, or after they first find out about the fifth laboratory but before they go to it.

That said, it was a good episode overall. Lots of plot advancement, and I definitely want to see where this all goes. Really liking the series overall so far.
I'm very glad to see you're enjoying it so far :) I hope to see more of your opinions in future episode threads!! :D
May 22, 2009 5:54 AM
Sep 2008
It's not that the story or pacing would be "confusing" to new viewers. This is an exaggeration or a misunderstanding. It's simply that episodes like #7 throw a lot of information at the viewer. This doesn't mean the viewer is going to be confused, simply they are going to go with the flow and accept what's happening in front of them because they dont have time to dwell on certain facts.

So, when said information is necessary to understand something later in the story, unneeded repetitive exposition is going to be mandatory to "refresh" the viewer because the studio knows they didn't give the viewer enough time for the info the "sink in", as it were, the first time they presented the viewer the information.

This is the reasoning why certain facts are repeated time and again for the big revelations later. This includes stuff like whenever Ed uses alchemy without a T. circle, someone ALWAYS says "Alchemy without a transmutation circle!?!?!?"
KabykMay 22, 2009 5:57 AM
May 22, 2009 5:59 AM

Dec 2008
Kabyk said:
It's not that the story or pacing would be "confusing" to new viewers. This is an exaggeration or a misunderstanding. It's simply that episodes like #7 throw a lot of information at the viewer. This doesn't mean the viewer is going to be confused, simply they are going to go with the flow and accept what's happening in front of them because they dont have time to dwell on certain facts.

So, when said information is necessary to understand something later in the story, unneeded repetitive exposition is going to be mandatory to "refresh" the viewer because the studio knows they didn't give the viewer enough time for the info the "sink in", as it were, the first time they presented the viewer the information.
I dunno...I know this is not really possible for people viewing it in Japan, but as for the rest of us we do have a chance to rewatch episodes. So if you can't really absorb all of the info, you can re-watch it again.

But I don't think that's what your point is, and I get what you're trying to get at. But personally, I really don't think there was too much info especially in this episode. Everything was just so straightforward, I highly doubt people can get confused much. I've seen other animes that have done worse..
May 22, 2009 10:14 AM

Jul 2008
Gin-iro said:
4Eyed said:

In due time.

I really hope so
May 22, 2009 12:17 PM

Dec 2007
Is it just me or does Gluttony seem more awesome than before? <__< But yeah, glad to see Sheska again. As usual, I love the amount the comedy they through in there. Looking forward to next episode's fight.
May 22, 2009 6:29 PM
Jun 2008
Yeah, this version is getting better. The real action is to come =)
May 22, 2009 6:35 PM

May 2009
Kabyk said:
This is the reasoning why certain facts are repeated time and again for the big revelations later. This includes stuff like whenever Ed uses alchemy without a T. circle, someone ALWAYS says "Alchemy without a transmutation circle!?!?!?"

It makes perfect sense that people would be surprised at that, though. I think it's less that they're trying to remind the viewer and more that they're trying to make it clear just how amazing it is that he can do that. At least, that was the impression I got.

Also, @robbydesu: It's nice to feel welcome around here.
May 22, 2009 7:03 PM

Jun 2008
This episode is almost the same as episodes 18 and 19 of the first series, so the new series is moving quickly...which is good in my opinion. That means the new stuff should be coming soon. ^_^ I kind of like the review, though I'm really eager to see something different. Edward called himself short!!! lol.
Note: I decided not to accept random friend requests. Most of the ones I accept will be people I know from other sites unless I get to know some people here. (=^_^=)
May 22, 2009 10:24 PM

Sep 2008
Lol......

Love this episode.....

Sheska sugoi!!
May 23, 2009 5:07 AM

Jul 2007
TwistedRose said:
This episode is almost the same as episodes 18 and 19 of the first series, so the new series is moving quickly...which is good in my opinion. That means the new stuff should be coming soon. ^_^ I kind of like the review, though I'm really eager to see something different. Edward called himself short!!! lol.

"quickly"?

Its Chapter ~11 in manga. I see nothing quick in that.
May 23, 2009 5:38 AM

May 2009
I love this episode so much (along with all the others) ^_^ Ah, i loved the manga humor! So many great moments ^_^ Armstrong was funny as always and Ed calling himself short...XD The way Paku-san said it ^w^ lovely.
Sheska was awesome, i love how hyper she is. Her new seiyuu is wonderful.
I swear I've heard Denny's voice somewhere but i don't remember where....XD

When they discover the truth, it felt more intense. The mood...everything, was perfect. Also, the scene where Ed is on the couch...i loved how it was significantly darker...(and the fan...looked good XD Oh! and Ed's automail)

I laughed during the eyecatch XD

I was so excited to see Barry and the Slicer! Their new voices sound great. I'm looking forward to the next episode! =D

I'm loving this new series ^w^
May 24, 2009 4:32 PM

Feb 2009
Loved it when Ed called himself short!

May 25, 2009 11:05 AM

Nov 2008
It is going well so far FMA Brotherhood is fast, funny and exciting. Ed is so awesome
May 25, 2009 10:05 PM

May 2008
- Sheska is outstanding! I'm wondering if Sheska was an influence for Yokiro Readman (R.O.D.) or vice versa.

- Any idea why "Full Metal Alchemist" at the break is spoken in English?

- Armstrong ROCKS!

- "Crap! I Called myself small!" LOL!

This version is incredible, I'm very impressed on how the artwork stays true to the artwork in the manga.
May 28, 2009 1:10 AM

Feb 2008
One word, FAST!!!

The progression of the storyline is just fast... XD It feels like I'm already watching 20+ episodes when it's just episode 7... LOL!

The melodramatic + comedy combo is just so awesome in FMA. XD
Jun 11, 2009 9:08 PM

Oct 2008
Fai said:
TwistedRose said:

"quickly"?

Its Chapter ~11 in manga. I see nothing quick in that.

Well, seeing as how they started out with about one chapter per episode, and somehow we're at ep. 7 with it being chapter ~11... seems kinda quick to me.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Yesterday, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Yesterday, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.