Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 2009 8:17 PM

Apr 2008
http://myanimelist.net/anime/567/Big_O

I was first intrigued by its unique art style, but didn't expect much. Then a few episodes later I was amazed and couldn't stop watching. It's very reminiscent of Batman. I can't talk too much about it without spoiling the whole show, but trust me, it's amazing.

So what of you? Do you have a gem that you've watched and very few others seem to know about?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 17, 2009 9:57 PM

Jul 2008
Shigofumi
I don't think its popular but its thrilling yet heart wrenching.A whole lot of drama packed into 12 epi. (not including OVA) Psychology,murder & a lil moe.

Ghost Hunt
Actually I'm wondering is this popular or not Anyway this is definately one of the best horror animes I've ever watched.Its creepy, eerie, has great soundeffects & u actually learn more about poltergeists. :)
May 24, 2009 10:00 AM

Dec 2008
Higashi no Eden

Currently at episode 7, this 11 episode short series is one of the best thrillers this year.

The story revolves around Takizawa Akira who has lost all his memory and a mysterious phone charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash. Akira eventually learns that there are 11 other people with similar phone and they are tasked to accomplish a certain task. There will only be 1 survivor in this "game" while the rest will be killed by the supporter.

Who is the supporter?
Who is behind all this and why?

Go watch to find out!
May 25, 2009 6:37 AM

Apr 2008
Hydrazoid said:
Higashi no Eden

Currently at episode 7, this 11 episode short series is one of the best thrillers this year.

The story revolves around Takizawa Akira who has lost all his memory and a mysterious phone charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash. Akira eventually learns that there are 11 other people with similar phone and they are tasked to accomplish a certain task. There will only be 1 survivor in this "game" while the rest will be killed by the supporter.

Who is the supporter?
Who is behind all this and why?

Go watch to find out!

I wouldn't call EotE obscure. It has to be something that is very, very rarely talked about. It's airing right now, so there should be quite a number who know about it.
Jun 1, 2009 8:31 AM

Oct 2007
MyMelancholy said:

Ghost Hunt
Actually I'm wondering is this popular or not Anyway this is definately one of the best horror animes I've ever watched.Its creepy, eerie, has great soundeffects & u actually learn more about poltergeists. :)

my favourite horror anime.
:D

shibuya kazuya! lol

|Picture from Animepaper|
Jun 6, 2009 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
Ergo Proxy.

It's thought-provoking and hauntingly beautiful, although convoluted at times. Pino is just adorable too. Plus, it has a whole Witch Hunter Robin and GITS vibe around it.
Jun 9, 2009 6:20 AM

Jun 2008
Le Chevalier D'Eon!

French and Psalms (bible verses) and Sorcery...? The clothes too! :D I can't give a good intro that will do it justice so I guess you all can look it up on MAL!

I don't really like the ending though, but yeah this is quite obscure, no?
Jun 19, 2009 5:07 AM

Dec 2007
Casshern Sins. A pity no one watched it while it was on okto, including me.
Jun 19, 2009 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
Really? Actually, it's quite a high-key title in anime circles overseas including Japan. I watched it along with Toradora and Skip Beat during that period, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'd just wish that Okto actually continued with the trend but it has shown to be short-lived.
Jun 19, 2009 5:55 AM

Dec 2007
Wasn't really able to catch the broadcasts regularly, even though I really wanted to watch those three titles.

Well it might be a high-key title, being of Madhouse pedigree and being part of a long-running franchise, but I guess that didn't matter to Singaporean anime viewers who only want their weekly Bleach or something.

The demographic is far too small here to be serviceable to Japanese companies, I guess.
Jun 19, 2009 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
Actually, the demographic here isn't entirely unique, because it's the same practically everywhere else in the world. Bleach, Naruto, Dragonball and One Piece (well this one is an exception; it's a wonderful title) all remain to be the most watched titles anywhere you go.

Anime is a very hot niche market in Singapore, in fact one of the hottest in the world so we do have varied tastes in anime IMHO. Ironically, for such a country we also have one of the worst company to market the anime (no clue needed).
Jun 19, 2009 10:50 AM

Dec 2007
Then someone put Taiwanese dubbed Bleach on Channel U on weekends or something! I remember 4kids' One Piece aired on Kids Central some time ago, I wonder what became of that. It's funny how even mainstream titles don't seem to get much success/spotlight/priority down here.

Yes we have dumb marketing/advertising people down here. I still shudder at recalling Brian Richmond's chilling voice-over for the first few episodes of Skip Beat. Ugh.

This thread has been derailed.
Jun 19, 2009 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
One Piece got axed as soon as it reached the middle of the Arabasta Arc (Baroque Works Saga), I remembered. Plus, I didn't really like the 4kids dubbed version: Luffy's dubbed voice was disgusting, I remembered.

I remembered how Arts Central used to telecast a lot of new anime titles between 2003 and 2006 (Inuyasha, Rumbling Hearts, Kita he ~Diamond Dust Drops~, Witch Hunter Robin); those were the days.

Screw the current Okto telecasting.
Jun 20, 2009 6:50 AM

May 2009
humbug23 said:
Then someone put Taiwanese dubbed Bleach on Channel U on weekends or something!

GOSH!! I remembered that!! I'm not used to the dubbing so I switch off the tv immediately. Haha. Couldn't tolerate the funny tune to the show. HAHAHA
Jun 20, 2009 8:54 AM

Apr 2008
I remember when Azumanga and Monster were airing on Arts Central on the same day of the week.

Best Thursday nights I've ever had. I wonder if Okto will show Cowboy Bebop again at any time?
Jun 22, 2009 11:46 PM
Jun 2007
hm, i guess one reason is that we all watch anime online instead. it's so much faster, and sg broadcasts things way way too late. and personally i'd rather watch with jap audio and eng subtitles. don't like dubs much.
i watch too much anime.
Jun 27, 2009 7:18 AM

Mar 2008
Kara no Kyoukai

unless you know the background story from the novel, you probably won't know what's going on.
Not to mention that the episodes aren't in order as well.
Jun 27, 2009 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Bokura ga Ita.

It's amazing how this series has a somewhat unpopularity aura surrounding it when I consider this to be one of the best teenage love stories.
Aug 21, 2009 10:54 AM

Jan 2009
I'd say..

Hatenkou Yuuji
Overdrive
Sola

..are some of them.

Ther are others too, but i'd consider them too well-known, or too recently aired to be worth mentioning.

Well technically, those i've mentioned were aired in the 2000s too..
Sep 10, 2009 8:15 AM

Oct 2008
nero said:
MyMelancholy said:

Ghost Hunt

my favourite horror anime.
:D

shibuya kazuya! lol

THIS! =D

Oct 13, 2009 2:57 AM

Aug 2009
Aha, Legend of Galactic Heroes? Super Dimension Fortress Macross?
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Oct 16, 2009 9:08 AM
Sep 2008
Haibane Renmei
Nov 7, 2009 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
supremebull said:
Haibane Renmei

It's an obscure series? It's not as popular as those you see on TV most of the time, but surely it's not obscure, don't you think?
Nov 8, 2009 4:45 PM

Jan 2009
exospectral said:
Aha, Legend of Galactic Heroes? Super Dimension Fortress Macross?

LoGH! I second that.
Nov 20, 2009 8:05 AM

Mar 2008
unregistered said:
I'd say..

Hatenkou Yuuji
Overdrive
Sola

..are some of them.

Ther are others too, but i'd consider them too well-known, or too recently aired to be worth mentioning.

Well technically, those i've mentioned were aired in the 2000s too..

i agree over drive is a good one
Jan 10, 2010 3:37 PM

Oct 2009
Mister Ajikko :D
Jan 24, 2010 4:21 AM
Jun 2007
for shoujo - paradise kiss (somehow NANA always seems to overshadow it) also Michiko to Hatchin (although it's not really shoujo)

and for shounen - one outs (the main character looks super a lot like hiruma from eyeshield21 and to some extent...similar character i guess?)

somehow...we singaporeans aren't very happenings are we....
i watch too much anime.
Jan 25, 2010 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
Paradise Kiss is the early influence to NANA, but both are written by mangaka, Ai Yazawa. Some would even say that NANA is the refined example of shoujo drama, compared to Paradise Kiss.

Michiko to Hatchin flew completely under the radar for some reason. Probably, the ones who did catch this are fans of Cowboy Bebop (both are directed by the same person, Shinichirou Watanabe.

Like any anime community, we usually watch the high-profile ones although they aren't necessarily the best out there.
Feb 19, 2010 6:06 AM

Apr 2007
AC-CESS said:
supremebull said:
Haibane Renmei

It's an obscure series? It's not as popular as those you see on TV most of the time, but surely it's not obscure, don't you think?

Compared to all the other series mentioned in this thread, Haibane Renmei is pretty much one of the more obscure ones.

If you like mahjong, watch akagi. The artwork might throw some people off, but the mahjong playing... well, watch it and you'll know.

Can't think of any other obscure but good shows right now.

And yes, I agree with Michiko. Funnily enough, I don't like Cowbow Bebop though. Don't really see the similarity.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» So, how old are the lot of you? ( 1 2 )

Henrrieta - Aug 7, 2008

67 by Onizuka-Eikichi »»
Aug 10, 2017 7:37 AM

» <Cancelled>

ch-shire - Sep 30, 2010

22 by khiem11tt1 »»
Sep 27, 2012 10:31 PM

Sticky: » [AnimeSG] Membership Card [Close]

VioletYuki - Apr 5, 2010

33 by removed-user »»
Mar 11, 2012 7:09 PM

» Anime Merchandise Store in SG

Klaf - Jan 30, 2012

1 by Kassarin »»
Jan 30, 2012 9:46 PM

» SG Anime Club "top 5 best" prediction for Anime Summer 2010!

DarkKoji - May 22, 2010

14 by ch-shire »»
Jul 25, 2010 8:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.