Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 18, 2009 2:26 PM

Jul 2008
Defiance said:
ClearSinz said:
If not going by the popular vote what should the guy go with that would get him sells and good feedback at the sametime?
Uh, the originally(and blatantly) implied person, Nagi. I think it is just a sellout move for the mangaka to go "well I originally intended for Hayate to end up with Nagi, but since there are more people that like Hinagiku I'm going to change it for the fanboys."

o true but hehe i rly cant see nagi with hayate till she it older XD

noteDhero said:
And then there can be alternate universes where each of the girls end up with Hayate, extending the monetary reach of the franchise despite whatever integrity it may have had (I'm talking to you Clannad).

ah clannad =D
i think i agree with you, great idea now only if the mangaka read ur suggestion =D
May 18, 2009 2:32 PM

Jul 2008
ClearSinz said:
ah clannad =D
i think i agree with you, great idea now only if the mangaka read ur suggestion =D
I don't think you quite got the sarcasm there.
May 18, 2009 3:06 PM

Jul 2008
Defiance said:
ClearSinz said:
ah clannad =D
I don't think you quite got the sarcasm there.

nope im a straight on dumb fool =D
( XD fail attempt to cover up i misread the quote now that u have mentioned it XD)
but still maybe if the ppl got time had money why not make different endings to please the viewers?
May 18, 2009 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
Because when you aim only to please the viewer you fail because it's impossible to please everyone.
May 18, 2009 5:23 PM

Mar 2008
nice ep, pretty funny to me at least, and i was always a hinagiku fan anyway>_>

noteDhero said:
Because when you aim only to please the viewer you fail because it's impossible to please everyone.

agreed, doesnt really matter who he ends up with in the end, there will always be the group of nagi fans, hina fans, ayumu fans, maria fans to QQ about it. Seriously, does it matter who he ends up with? the content of the manga/anime was great...

similar to school rumble ending, which dissatisfied way too many people, the show +manga itself was still quite funny.

People also need to stop complaining about the story/character development that takes away from the comedy...if ur gonna complain about it go watch another show thats 100% comedy /slice of life instead of crying about it here lol. I mean, Hayate did start off with somewhat of a story and adding to it little by little makes it more interesting imo than just shits and giggles the whole time

May 18, 2009 5:43 PM

Aug 2008
I think what matters most is that there is a logical progression towards one relationship. I'm trying to think of a single instance where I was honestly surprised by the relationship of a couple on screen, and I can't really think of one instance because it is always just so obvious, especially when one girl starts to get more screen time than others.

At the end of the day, no matter what show you're watching, what matters most is the story and how the characters interact. In the case of HnG, when it was doing little off episodes with the development of an American sitcom it shined. So far, tossing in an episodic plot line hasn't served the show (I can't say about the manga) too well.

Another thing is that people tend to have the ridiculous notion that what works in manga works perfectly in an animated format, and that's just ridiculous.
May 18, 2009 6:20 PM

Mar 2008
noteDhero said:

At the end of the day, no matter what show you're watching, what matters most is the story and how the characters interact. In the case of HnG, when it was doing little off episodes with the development of an American sitcom it shined. So far, tossing in an episodic plot line hasn't served the show (I can't say about the manga) too well.

Another thing is that people tend to have the ridiculous notion that what works in manga works perfectly in an animated format, and that's just ridiculous.

true, im with you on that note. mmm anyway, anyone have any further confirmation that S2 = 22 episodes besides MAL?

May 18, 2009 8:48 PM

Sep 2008
If I wanted to sit and wonder who the main character would end up with I'd watch one of those stupid-ass harem eroge animes.

Um.. I'm really not sure what you're talking about there.. Hayate is the only 'harem' anime I've seen where I actually questioned which one the main character was going to end up with. Most of the time you can tell exactly who when they're first introduced.

Hayate and Nagi I immediately wrote off as not probable from the start. Until Nagi grows and matures mentally, their relationship will be nothing but master and servant IMO. Nagi has a schoolgirl crush on Hayate and Hayate sees her as someone to be thankful to, that's it.

After the first part of this story, I was rooting for Hina (probably had a few welts in the back of my head >.<), after this episode, Nishizawa and Maria switched places, just because it would be nice to see something between them. I'm actually alongside Hina with rooting for her now, just 'cause I'd like to see something actually happen.

Actually, the ending I would like most is no (final) romance relationship for the characters, but deciding to continue as a functioning group and maybe in the (non-anime/mangaed) future, a relationship between one or another character.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

May 19, 2009 5:02 AM

Jan 2008
Okay episode. Somehow HnG has because a harem?
May 19, 2009 8:57 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
But we haven't had only 7 episodes. We had almost half of the first series. I'd like to know what development we've had for any of the characters, because at best, we've only gotten stronger characterization for the Nagi and Hina. There has been no development on the part of Ayumu, and Miki? How many lines has she had? There can't be development when there is nothing to develop from.

Aw, come on. I guess the following did not happen:

Ayumu:
o Made a serious effort prepping Valentine choco for Hayate
o Revealed a link to Wataru-kun who tested them
o Was torn about whether or not to "risk" a genuine choco for Hayate, risking the friendship
o Established a link to Hina who saved her from the Security
o Botched the first attempt to confess to Hayate
o Ran away in frustration about herself
o Broke through to confess on her second chance
o Rushed after Hina to thank her for her assistance (big kudos for her here)
o Wished to be cool like Hina
o Not for a second thought that Hayate was "cheating" on her, but rather immediately placed the blame on herself
o Remained extremely shy when Hina prompted Valentine Day
o Showed some insight into Hayate by (correctly) identifying Hina as a character Hayate is weak towards
o Revealed that she was very much aware that her timid approach to Hayate is based on timid self-delusion
o Displayed growing admiration for Hina
o Accepted Hina's friendship and support offer gratefully, but also timidly.

So. If that's "no development" for you, let's agree to disagree. For me, this is pretty major. I'd say these episodes gave _alot_ of insight in her character. If this is too subtle or insignificant for you - sorry.

Miki: There's less here, but still some nuggets of interesting information
o Showed that she was susceptible to Hina's tomboyish charms during the sports festival
o Showed that she was fairly frail and non-sporty
o Revealed a childhood friend link to Hina
o Teases Hina about her fanbase
o Gave her a _major_ choco present after Hina demonstrated she valued the gifts
o Continued to display that she keeps Hina under close scrutiny
o Picked up the unusual Hayate connection, but left him off the hook
o Gave some admiring background info on Hina

Essentially, we got to see that Miki is "more than just a fan" of Hina, she has a slight crush on her.

All that doesn't matter to you either? O_o

I don't really care about ratings because at the end of the day it only speaks to the fact that people are seeing what they want to see regardless of whether or not it is good. Just because everyone consumes something doesn't make it wonderful. I suppose then you must believe that Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Naruto, and Bleach are the pinnacle of this art form?

No, of course not. But you have the tendency to give your own _personal opinion_ as if would be objective fact. It isn't. And I'm pointing out that the objective metrics DISAGREE with your personal opinion. Just add "In my opinion", and I have no problem. Only the warning for you that what you are looking for will be relatively scarce in the future (since S1 already handled most of the "pure comedy" stuff).
May 19, 2009 9:04 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
I think what matters most is that there is a logical progression towards one relationship. I'm trying to think of a single instance where I was honestly surprised by the relationship of a couple on screen, and I can't really think of one instance because it is always just so obvious, especially when one girl starts to get more screen time than others.

SHUFFLE, for example? Doesn't happen very often that a green-haired senpai character, listed in picture 4 of 5 in the lineup wins out, over osananajimi and princess characters even.

If it's logical progression towards one relationship you're looking for, I see no reason for your hostile reaction towards S2 so far. This is pretty much what S2 is mostly about. You just have to follow it.

Again: If the context is "In my opinion", fine. And the reception of S2 has been pretty favorable so far.
May 19, 2009 9:10 AM

Jan 2009
Defiance said:
Uh, the originally(and blatantly) implied person, Nagi. I think it is just a sellout move for the mangaka to go "well I originally intended for Hayate to end up with Nagi, but since there are more people that like Hinagiku I'm going to change it for the fanboys."

I think it's more that other pairings simply work out better. And realizing this and adapting is much smarter than stubbornly insisting on the initial idea. Just think how the School Rumble ending was ruined because the mangaka couldn't let go of his Tenma love.

Another example: The creator of "Spiderman", Lee, initially planned to let the all-too-perfect Gwen Stacy become Peter Parker's "reward" for his constant misfortunes. However, upon telling the story, he realized that the other later introduction Mary Jane worked out much better. Change of plans. And a smart change.

In general, popularity of a character is the result of the fact that this character is more enjoyable than others in the show. Not the other way round. Do more of what works and less of what fails is a very simple general rule. I see nothing bad in that.
May 19, 2009 9:30 AM

Feb 2008
Defiance said:
I don't think the mangaka ever intended Hayate to end up with Nagi, that just doesn't work. She loves him and he sees her as his 11 year old mistress. The only reason it was ever implied was for comedy purposes, imo.
There have never been any sparks between Maria and Hayate either, at least not in the anime and Ayumu somehow feels wrong, she's on the same level as Nagi. With all those 'choices' eliminated Hinagiku is the only logical choice, if romance can be logical.

I'm part of the 'I like !! better than !' group so maybe my opinion doesn't matter.
May 19, 2009 9:32 AM

Aug 2008
I've never seen SHUFFLE, so I can't say. Sorry.

But I don't think I have a hostile reaction towards season 2. But if you're saying that the show is going towards Hinagiku, then I'd say in the past 25 or so episodes of actual story, there has been no more groundwork lain for her than for Maria, both of whom aren't proactive at all in getting Hayate like Nagi. The groundwork is for Nagi. But then you say the mangaka is changing the story to follow polls, and that worries me. Regardless though, in my opinion, the show being more of a romantic comedy is a mistake. Maybe JC Staff haven't found the right pace to hit yet, we'll see.

It's just very clear to me why certain characters were further in the background last season. But I will say that I'm torn on Nagi not being the "it" girl because even though I think they're wrong for each other, it doesn't really change the fact that the story is initially about the two of them; on the other hand, I hate Nagi as a character.
May 19, 2009 9:54 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
But then you say the mangaka is changing the story to follow polls, and that worries me.

Actually, I didn't quite say that, this is what Defiance read into it. What I said is that the Mangaka _is aware_ of popularity polls. For example, he remarked that he never expected Hina to dominate the first one the way she did. I assume that this detail (one of three I listed) might contribute to an increase of Hina's chances. But I don't know for sure, of course.

Regardless though, in my opinion, the show being more of a romantic comedy is a mistake. Maybe JC Staff haven't found the right pace to hit yet, we'll see.

The statement like this is 100% peachy with me. Sorry if I came across a bit more combative than necessary. But personally, I feel absolutely at ease with the conversion. In fact, more than that. It exceeds my wildest dreams so far (feeling like a burnt child after S1)
MentarMay 19, 2009 10:02 AM
May 19, 2009 10:15 AM

Aug 2008
Mentar said:

3) The mangaka IS following the popularity polls (where Hina absolutely crushes the opposition, she usually gets almost the same number of votes than places 2-4 combined)

Based on the developments (and for Nagi, non-developments) up to the latest chapter, I consider it more and more likely that Hina has a very realistic shot to "win".
Here's some screenshots from the latest chapter 224 as a teaser ;)

Ok, then that was my mistake. I read it the same way as Defiance, that the mangaka is following the polls and giving Hina more story than he would have had he not looked at them.

No problems, I don't think you were being combative. I'm happy when I get to discuss the direction of a series with someone who sees differently than I do. I just didn't think it would have happened in HnG discussion.
noteDheroMay 19, 2009 10:25 AM
May 19, 2009 10:23 AM

Aug 2008
Mentar said:

Holy crap, I didn't even see this post.

Much of that isn't character development on Ayumu's part. It's just her being wishy washy and shy like she always has been. Making a friend isn't develpment because Ayumu never seemed like the type of girl who wouldn't be friends with Hina. I think she even considers Nagi a friend and the two of them are direct rivals. But Ayumu recognizing that she in fact is timid might be develpoment if she actually follows through and changes.

For Miki, that's all characterization since we got nothing from her in the first season. Teasing is not character development, and the rest were all characterization. We never knew much about Miki, so to say that she devleoped when we didn't even know where she was at is misguided.
May 20, 2009 3:58 PM

Jul 2008
Prince of Curry >=)

May 22, 2009 12:27 AM

Sep 2008
Essentially, we got to see that Miki is "more than just a fan" of Hina, she has a slight crush on her.

Erm, I'm not too sure about that.. especially because of the ending. There's definate favor and, though I can't say this for certain yet because I haven't seen the other members, I think it's more of a nakama feeling between the student council quartet (I think that's a viable grouping for them, sounds better than delinquent, especially since Hina's the president)

That she was willing to participate in the marathon as Hina's partner seems to speak to me of a sibling bond, rather than a romantic one. Just wish we saw the others around more so I could get a better sense of it.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

May 22, 2009 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
Bastion said:
Erm, I'm not too sure about that.. especially because of the ending. There's definate favor and, though I can't say this for certain yet because I haven't seen the other members, I think it's more of a nakama feeling between the student council quartet (I think that's a viable grouping for them, sounds better than delinquent, especially since Hina's the president)

But the Hina's relationship is MUCH closer with Miki than with Izumi or Risa. Miki is the only girl who gave Hina Valentine chocos. Miki is the girl who blushed when Hina promised to protect her during the Marathon. Miki is the girl who has the longest history with her, and who monitors her very closely.

In the future it will get even more clear, but I think first indications are clearly visible already ;)
May 22, 2009 12:23 PM

Sep 2008
But the Hina's relationship is MUCH closer with Miki than with Izumi or Risa. Miki is the only girl who gave Hina Valentine chocos.

That we know of. The other two could have given her some off-screen. And I don't think we know which type of valentine choco she gave, still the possibility that it was just friendship.

Miki is the girl who blushed when Hina promised to protect her during the Marathon. Miki is the girl who has the longest history with her, and who monitors her very closely.

In the future it will get even more clear, but I think first indications are clearly visible already ;)

Wouldn't you moniter a close friend very closely? Saku does about the same to Nagi, and I'd be hard pressed to say there's more than a familiar affection there.

I'm turning towards that POV, but I still have reservations. At the very least, it doesn't seem Miki plans to do anything about them except show Hina that they exist.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

~Durarara

May 22, 2009 8:00 PM

Nov 2007
Yay more Hinagiku <3, Hayate and Hina look great together =P too bad Nishizawa had to come and ruin all the fun D: wonder what Nagi's reaction will be like when she finds out where Hayate's been staying xD
May 28, 2009 12:01 AM

Feb 2008
This topic is so fun. I've read alot of posts here; and that's somehow entertained me. Hahaha! Nice going folks! Just that..

Mentar, please avoid multiple posting... XD You can quote other people's post in just one post, right? No need to go and post 3 times in a row to reply to 3 different people. XD

Anyways, it was really fun to see Hayate x Hinagiku in this episode. Kinda sad that this is just it... This plot is the only one I've read in the manga. XD

I'm expecting for more...

But wisely, I've enjoyed S1 for it's comedic hilariousness. But I'm also enjoying S2 for it's serious adaptation from the manga. I think JC Staff isn't a fail here. HnG series would just be wasted if all we can see in the anime are a bit of canon plot and then many fillers for comedic purposes. XD
Jun 3, 2009 8:23 PM

Sep 2008
babykeiji said:
But wisely, I've enjoyed S1 for it's comedic hilariousness. But I'm also enjoying S2 for it's serious adaptation from the manga. I think JC Staff isn't a fail here. HnG series would just be wasted if all we can see in the anime are a bit of canon plot and then many fillers for comedic purposes. XD

S2 is srsbsns
Jun 10, 2009 1:32 AM

Apr 2009
S2 is srsbsns

This. Though I was laughing out loud when the plant scowled at them.
Jun 16, 2009 9:12 PM

Aug 2007
orangehouse said:
lmao xD Nishizawa chasing the baked yam cart LOL

Ya. That made my day. xD

Awesome episode with tons of great moments. Best one yet in my opinion.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Aug 9, 2009 12:44 AM

May 2008
YAY HINA

NO SCREENIES WAT

O.O

Love the kitten noise at the end, that was like the cutest noise ever created.
theeggman85Aug 9, 2009 12:47 AM
Nov 7, 2009 11:34 AM

Jun 2009
Love HnG
Jan 3, 2010 2:18 PM

Nov 2008
⑨ Nine Ball
Jan 6, 2010 6:48 AM

Nov 2007
Way to ruin a potential all-Hina episode with Ayumu...
Nov 19, 2011 6:13 AM

Feb 2011
Such an irony for Maria and Hinagiku cheering Nagi and Ayumu for Hayate, didn't they want Hayate for themselves? xD
Feb 19, 2012 11:39 PM

Nov 2008
I'm glad I dropped the first season, this is way better. I just started watching today and I'm already in this episode. This is the best remance comedy that I've seen since School Rumble.

Hayate, you are so lucky!
Mar 7, 2012 11:46 PM
Dec 2009
Hmmm.. I have a good feeling that Hina will definitely not end up with Hayate after watching this episode. It's not because Hina is cheering for Ayumu, its because they're obviously going to be good friends, and being good friends with Ayumu gimps your chances with Hayate because that's how I see the usual anime romance go. Ayumu who has a one-sided love for Hayate, and Hina is cheering this one-sided love, but unknowingly likes Hayate usually is the character to win, but because there is a Maria and a Nagi, I can't see Hina win anymore all because Ayumu and Hina are going to become such close friends. I know there is going to be so much Hina x Hayate scenes that there maybe a chance between them, but I doubt it and it will only end up as a teaser.

Maria should win now! Unless Nagi will win if they do a time skip of a few years and Hayate does not have any strong feelings for anyone during that period, however right now Hayate can only see Nagi as a kid and the only ending I can see now is that this anime will have no couples in the end for Hayate, as he only becomes a loyal butler to Nagi and becomes close friends with everybody. That is the only satisfying ending I can see which appeals to the many fans of different pairings (Observation up to this episode for Hayate's love life)

JKMar 7, 2012 11:50 PM
tag©.androgynous
Aug 13, 2012 10:16 AM

Jan 2011
Hinagiku, why do you always ruin everything? Q_Q
That cat really reminds me of Hinagiku's sister, I almost thought it was her but then I thought this isn't the type of show for transformations.
I want more Hinagiku arcs, but in the next episode Izumi will be back! It's been a long time.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 16, 2012 3:12 PM

May 2012
Another great episode! I do wonder why Hina isn't going for it and putting her own love on the side...

Even then great episode!
Dec 15, 2012 11:43 PM

Oct 2011
Season made me like Hinagiku and Ayumu. In season 1 they were just side characters (especially Ayumu who just shows up once in a while to see the person that he likes pass by almost every episode lol)
Apr 17, 2013 4:44 AM

Jun 2012
Best part(s):
Aug 20, 2014 4:38 AM

Jul 2013
so much feelings in this episode
Apr 12, 2017 8:54 AM

Aug 2015

Hina x Hayate.... YES! My ship :3 Best ep in s2 so far for sure.

..Hinagiku not making a move just to be kind to the hamster... This is making me boil with anger xD

I don't want any spoilers, but I really really hope that Hayate will end up with someone in the end. Otherwise I'll be disappointed. It happens way too rarely in these sort of shows. Preferably Hina or Maria, ofc.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 8, 2018 6:25 PM

Sep 2017
I hope that Hayate gets outta this harem and end up with Nagi as soon as possible. The relationship with Hinagiku seems, forced.

The narrator was the epic troll this episode.

My reason for Nagi x Hayate is because unlike the other girls, Nagi really cares about Hayate a lot. Nagi is the cute loli tsundere who doesn't go over board, unlike a certain similar character voiced by the same seiyuu(Louise, but in her defense, her lover is really a jerk). Nagi was the one who wanted Hayate by her side no matter what, and was okay with Hayate being alive even if it meant that he would no longer be her butler. Hinagiku's love is actually entirely new and even though both have similar pasts, that doesn't make me ship them. Also the fact that both of them are being forcibly shipped by the anime makes me not wanna ship them. For others it could be different, but for me, it doesn't seem natural. Nagi and Hayate's relationship seemed to be based on a misunderstanding and even though both of them never made any significant romantic progress till now, their bond with each other is actually quite strong. Nagi developing feelings for Hayate is actually well played and original. But Hinagiku's relationship with Hayate is more of a coincidence and reminds me of the relationship in typical harem shows. HnG is a harem, but I don't like it being played out in a romantic aspect, but rather in a comedic aspect here.

Hinagiku's feelings for Hayate is more of like only one man in an island of women, whereas Nagi's feelings are of an admiration and comfort. Calling Nagi's feelings a school girl crush is harsh and denying the fact that love takes all forms. Even if it was a school girl crush(which it wasn't), there is no reason that the school girl crush has to be fake, or that same age love is better than different age love.

Hinagiku is merely confronting her womanly feelings, while Nagi wants to share her feeling of insecurity with someone who can take care of it(i.e. Hayate). Hayate's feelings are to be explored, but his embarrassment by seeing Hinagiku or Nishizawa or Maria has more to do with his puberty. He was platonic towards Nagi before, but that changed last episode.
JeremiahOrangeApr 8, 2018 6:48 PM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Feb 16, 2021 3:43 AM

Jan 2016
Years later, why is Hinagiku still perfect!?

This rewatch has made me very nostalgic
Mar 24, 2021 8:47 PM

Aug 2018
So good!!! Elevator scene was perfect!!

Feb 24, 2023 5:54 PM
May 2020
Hayate was able to clear up ONE MISUNDERSTANDING! Such progress.
Feb 24, 2023 5:55 PM
May 2020
Did anyone else see the UFO ship in the wrecked kitchen?!?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ClearSinz - Apr 10, 2009

91 by mySaudate »»
May 22, 2023 2:57 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

game8910 - Sep 18, 2009

140 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 13, 2023 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2009

61 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 12, 2023 6:00 PM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 19, 2009

103 by MiMiXSheShe »»
Apr 6, 2023 2:25 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 22 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2009

46 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 5, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.