Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 16, 2009 9:51 AM

Oct 2008
The image search engine device was so awesome COOL shit!!!

May 16, 2009 10:38 AM

Jan 2009
Onegai said:
sugarplumfairy said:
Anyone see the possible connection between the mobile shot of the apple and the apple in the ending song theme?

There were red apples in death note to, but in the end the author revealed that they had no meaning ..

anyway, pretty confusing episode, i think i'll have to watch it again tomorow when im more awake :P..
would love it if they could describe the eden program more, like a little more about how its working etc. how can it set notes on people? ok, i can understand that it can put notes on bridges and famous stuff like that and i can even buy that it can recognize different stuff like TV's etc. but how can it put notes on people? i mean, someone must have put the information on there and i find it unlikely that people themselves would put personal information for everyone to see with just a camera. and if anyone can uploud anything to the network the program is using, then its worthless.

The apple could be a reference to the apple from the Tree of Knowledge that got Eve/Adam exiled from the Garden of Eden in Genesis. Maybe it means Akira's search for knowledge might get him and Saki screwed over at the end, or just like you said the apple could end up meaning nothing at all.
May 16, 2009 11:28 AM

Jul 2008
Brian333 said:
To the above two users, Akira didn't kill the NEETs. He gathered them up and dropped them off in Dubai... where he prompted them to fend for themselves and learn to live a forward moving life.

Ultimately, judging from Akira's encounter with one of those NEETs near the beginning of the last episode, it seems as though they're better off now. While gratitude wasn't verbally expressed (atleast not from what I remember), you could tell the NEET he ran into was thankful for the push Akira gave him.

He was never trying to kill people or reduce the population. You could speculate that he's working towards the exact same goal he was working towards before -- it's just that his means to that end are different (but perhaps not totally so).

o wow thanks a lot , i guess it's my error on that part
so... i may be thinking too much into this but
"does history repeat it self then?" regardless of who or wat actions, it end up on the same conclusion?
cuz if so it would be like 2 stories at once ,
the life of the old Akira and the new one
May 16, 2009 12:47 PM
Dec 2007
I've a feeling that Shiratori is doing all this because she wants something like an all women world, free of horrible men, and thinks she's doing the world a favor by getting rid of them all. She may have been spurned by a man in her past, or perhaps she has seen a lot of horrid guys like that, considering she's a powerful figurehead at what seems to be a modeling agency. She may have picked Ohsugi because he was horribly drunk, and throwing up in the street. She views Ohsugi as trash, too. And it's probably a red herring, or an animation mistake, but Ohsugi's tie was red in the last episode, and this one it's green. :/ Although, he does have Ohsugi's bag, and his mobile. Just a mistake, I suppose. Though I'm surprised a series like this would make such a silly mistake like that. As I recall, there was another guy on the street the same time Ohsugi threw up, but he most likely has nothing to do with the greater scheme of things. Also, I'm sure that falling apple is probably important, but I'll post my thoughts about it at a later time, when I've fully thought about it.

Thinking back on the 'men have spurned her' theory, I can't remember what exactly happened, but during episode five she mentioned that number I (I think?) wouldn't be too happy with her~ actually, I don't think she said that at all, but we were then shown a glimpse of a rather serious bespectacled man.

Also, Shiratori apparently took 20,000 'Johnnys', and Akira saved the lives of 20,000 NEETs. This figure definitely has a significance. Perhaps they're all involved in some twisted competition? Besides the race to being the first one who'll save everything, of course.

And we finally learn what Eden of the East actually is. Around episode two, I half read spoilers about it, saying it had something to do with Saki's sister's fiancée, and her college. At least they were somewhat right. So, from what I've gathered; the group have made an amazing, completely revolutionary type of image recognition search engine, where you can take a picture of something, and search for it. And if you take a picture of someone, you can see the very items they've searched for. On one side, it would probably be incredibly helpful, but on the flip side, if it 'fell into the wrong hands', rather dangerous. And creepy. Surprised a project like that hasn't received any funds. Then again, they haven't marketed it, and are specifically using it for their club.

Hirasawa is a proud kind of fellow, and we learned a bit about him in the last episode, when Ohsugi mentioned on the train to Saki that he was starting up his own business. Too bad Hirasawa spurned Akira's help first off, on account of him not being a NEET. It's admirable that Hirasawa is attempting to work through being a NEET, although he's still employed, even though it's self-employment.

I'm interested in how the project ties into all this, though. I'm guessing it may have something to do with Selecao, and the way Juiz carries out her requests.

Urgh, I feel like I'm going to have to watch several episodes again, including this episode. I feel like I keep missing things.
May 16, 2009 2:20 PM
May 2009
I was confused as to what the hell was going on throughout this episode. What exactly is the Eden of the East? Some kind of image search engine? What does that have to with NEETs? Also, how the hell has Shiratori cut off 20,000 dicks without anyone noticing? At first I thought it was just a translation error on [gg]'s part, but when it was mentioned that it was the same number of NEETs Akira exiled, I thought it might have had some significance.

Ohsugi is going to be ok, I think. I think that he's going to end up with Saki, anyway, considering it's very obvious Akira was about to shoot her in the first episode, but the phone call erased his memories, so he forgot what he was doing.
May 16, 2009 3:30 PM

Apr 2009
Oh wow. You gys have some pretty intense senses xD I didnt even see the pple o__o

Well know I know what Eden is. But I can't believe only 5 more ep left!
May 16, 2009 5:14 PM

Aug 2008
Oh, now this is getting exciting...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2009 5:48 PM

Aug 2008
This episode was so good, interesting, and dynamic that it brought up the last episode in significance. I suppose I wasn't expecting for last week and this week to be so closely tied together, so that was most of my negative reaction to episode 5.

I want to point out that "John" is slang for a hooker's customer, so maybe they used "Johnny" to make it lighter and basically call her a maneater. I think the use of "Johnny" is entertaining and clever since the word is used in english (maybe only America?) so much for a variety of different things.

Also, while a lot of the stuff with Eden of the East was confusing, by the end of the episode I think I have a clear idea of what was going on thanks to Akira's "not understanding." I think EoE was created as a startup company (like Google, if you will) to employ the younger generation. That's why Akira said that the two of them were trying to do the same thing. With EoE (wonderful plot device by the way) Akira can probably get a quicker grasp of what he has forgotten (I'm guessing that the special thing that Saki added was giving the relation of the object to the user); not to mention that with proper funding now, EoE can hire more youths looking for jobs.

It seems that I underestimated much of what was presented in the last episode. Saki's job was meant to set up the theme that the youth are responsible for the future (some people said that last week) and now that that is set, along with the revelation of Akira's dealings with the NEETs, we know that he is trying to make Japan a place where young people (ie. the future) don't feel lost about their place in society and fail to take the reigns.

I feel like Akira is the only one so far who is using this method. Kondou probably used his money to fund aid the police in solving crimes, Dr. Hajime wanted to save old people from despair, and Shiratori seems to only rid society of "useless men."

On top of that we got new insight into Akira and Saki as characters. Saki seems to be a very disciplined woman who handles responsibility well (making this escapade with Akira all the more interesting) and possesses some very essential skill for EoE. Akira treats Mittchan in much the same way as he treats Saki, so while there is a special bond between the two, I think this does slow down the perception that they are moving quickly towards marriage.

I really am loving this show more after this episode.
May 16, 2009 5:57 PM

Jul 2008
so that woman is a president of a company, and also shes a "johnny taker" who has had almost 20,000 victims... thats just wrong in so many ways
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 16, 2009 6:34 PM

Feb 2009
Poor Ohsugi... Imagine this guy in the afterlife: "Hey man, how did you die?" - "My precious was cut off by some psychopath called 'the Johnny Taker'. "

Anyway this episode might seem slow and filled with too much introduction of new people and other things, but there are some pretty interesting details concerning the plot, and I'm sure some of them will be crucial later on.

I'm quite disappointed though that Akira's goal is to simply help a bunch of young NEETs rebel against old bastards. The generational conflict theme is so stereotyped, but then again this is Japan where society is more hierarchic. At least the other Selecaos seem to have more interesting methods... Save the world, cut off their Johnny today!
May 16, 2009 7:31 PM

Feb 2009
Shiratori is awesome
I hope she doesn't fall pray to the supporter

I gave this a 3/5 meant to give it a 4/5
I guess it was kind of a passive aggressive episode
more Shiratori please ^.^
~May you continue being the Messiah....
May 16, 2009 8:04 PM

Jun 2008
Hahaha. Fuck. I hate Kamiyama. I may have to redo my scores if he puts out ambiguous shit like this as they aren't bad (production murders the other garbage which sits at 5-7 anyhow) but not better.

Either way it's not done yet...

It's rather confusing at present (well not quite) but ... ??? Who knows. I like that this isn't some show for retards where they spell everything out for you, at least.

This all said, not a weak episode. PLOT DEVELOPMENT.
hznuMay 16, 2009 8:07 PM
May 16, 2009 8:26 PM

Oct 2008
I'm still pretty confused. Wtf are NEETs? I've completely forgotten.
Also, have we been shown Mittan before? I don't remember her.
And...yeah, what's the deal with this 'club' thing. I seriously don't get half of what's going on. I should have waited until this finished airing and then watched it all in one hit.
May 16, 2009 8:34 PM

Nov 2006
BigSimo said:
And...yeah, what's the deal with this 'club' thing. I seriously don't get half of what's going on. I should have waited until this finished airing and then watched it all in one hit.
No Education, Employment, or Training.
we saw mittan/micchon in the car stuck in the traffic jam leaving the airport with the other Eden people a few eps ago.
May 16, 2009 8:38 PM
May 2009
I'm still curious.

How the hell has Shiratori killed 20,000 people? If she killed one person a night, she'd have to be doing it for sixty years.

The only explanations I can think of is that the "Johnny Taker" is actually multiple people, or she somehow got a hold of the NEETs Akira had exiled.
May 16, 2009 8:56 PM

Jun 2007
DeathNotice said:
I'm still curious.

How the hell has Shiratori killed 20,000 people? If she killed one person a night, she'd have to be doing it for sixty years.

The only explanations I can think of is that the "Johnny Taker" is actually multiple people, or she somehow got a hold of the NEETs Akira had exiled.

I think you are the only one to point this out so far. Good job! No really. But anyway maybe she kills 57 ppl a day for 1 year. Yeah that would add up... theres just no way without help.

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
May 16, 2009 9:03 PM

Jun 2008
I highly doubt she has TWENTY THOUSAND DICKS stored away somewhere.

Do you guys even pay attention? I don't. And I still got that in some earlier episode there was mention of some number (I think 20k) NEETs being killed off.

But, you know, this has to be a coincidence and completely unrelated to the claims made on some internet forum. (The internet is always right, after all!!!)
May 16, 2009 9:07 PM

Jun 2008
Oh shit, the Johnny Taker? That was intense, she's pretty hot too.

Oh my goodness Mittan was so fucking adorable. I wanted to eat her up, and Saki was as cute as ever too. I loved that outfit on her, you could see her waist. It was great. And Akira was perfect, as usual. I'm pretty sure I understand most of what is going on here, at least what the show is trying to let you know.

The apple there with Ohsugi or whatever his name is, definately made me think of the ending. Poor kid, I think he still has a big chance of getting his wang cut off and dying. This all leads me back to the damn hallucination Akira had, he called them Johnny's. What the hell lol, but anyway nice episode. Loved it as always.
May 16, 2009 9:09 PM

Feb 2008
After this episode, my hunch of an unpleasant ending just went up a notch.
May 16, 2009 9:30 PM
Sep 2008
I totaly lost the plot.
May 16, 2009 9:49 PM

Mar 2009
yeah, was i the only one who totally couldn't follow what was going on? i had to look on wikipedia for the episode summary just to get a handle on the plot in this episode. it felt like characters - and things (the 'eden of the east' program) were just introduced very quickly, in rapid succession, with very little explanation. what was the thing about the neets at the end, anyway? i didn't really understand.
May 17, 2009 12:32 AM

Jan 2009
It was fine but there wasn't really much excitement in this episode. Truthfully, I kept pausing it XD

Now I'm just even more curious about this Shiratori who's a 'Johnny Taker'. And also the identity of the supporter..
Animanga Blog: -ALPHANoX- PROJECT
Like anime, manga, otome games or other fandom? Then why not join me in -A-P and be one of the co-authors? ;D PM me if interested xDD♥

Love me, Hate me, I don't care as long as you're with me
May 17, 2009 12:41 AM

Nov 2006
noteDhero said:
EoE (wonderful plot device by the way)
this made me laugh because it's so true.

i enjoyed reading your post.
May 17, 2009 12:47 AM

Oct 2008
windy said:
BigSimo said:
No Education, Employment, or Training.
we saw mittan/micchon in the car stuck in the traffic jam leaving the airport with the other Eden people a few eps ago.
Ah right. Thanks windy.
May 17, 2009 2:28 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
i love this series!!!

thanks for explaining windy, because i was definitely still confused..
p r o f i l e 👀
May 17, 2009 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
No, that definition of NEET is not entirely correct. NEET means NOT IN education, employment, or training and not NO education, employment, or training. NEETs can be very well educated and incredibly well trained.

Basically, it's people who are not currently in school or any educational activity / institute (including job training or internship phases) and are currently unemployed.

And even this definition doesn't do enough in terms of its context and relevance to the Japanese culture and society. I suggest reading a little about NEETs. Some people in this thread have said that they're disappointed with how cliche or one-dimensional the new focus of Akira's story is but the problem with NEETs runs very deep through Japan's socioeconomic framework.
removed-userMay 17, 2009 2:52 AM
May 17, 2009 5:35 AM

Feb 2009
Brian333 said:
And even this definition doesn't do enough in terms of its context and relevance to the Japanese culture and society. I suggest reading a little about NEETs. Some people in this thread have said that they're disappointed with how cliche or one-dimensional the new focus of Akira's story is but the problem with NEETs runs very deep through Japan's socioeconomic framework.

I've read the article on Wikipedia (yeah I know, there are better sources) and it still seems to me to be a generational conflict, with mostly young people unable to accept the old working culture of Japan (lifetime employment, personal sacrifice, etc...), that might have worked before but not in today's economic context. So they withdraw entirely from society.

I still think it's a cliche problem, but this social issue is probably far more important in Japan than in western countries. So Akira trying to change the whole economic culture in Japan is surely something significant for his goal as a Selecao. But that doesn't make it less exciting than, say, cut off people's johnnies. xD

That makes me think, maybe Shiratori is only killing off men that work all day, than get drunk at night in bars and restaurants with colleagues instead of returning to their family, like what employees have been doing in the old economic model. So that would make her goal the same as Akira's. Haha just theorycrafting, it's probably not that. :P
AlexstratzMay 17, 2009 5:42 AM
May 17, 2009 7:05 AM

Nov 2008
Nice episode.
About an apple, showing here and there, I think it some kind of game between authors and the wiever - the last one fave fun in finding apples in random scenes. It's like when Akira talks about films - for ex. I find scene, when they enter the supermarket and he said "I feel like in "Dawn of the Dead" " really funny.

I still think it's a cliche problem, but this social issue is probably far more important in Japan than in western countries.

Hikkikomori (NEET) got pretty popular in manga/anime nowadays. From only what I've seen, I found them in Chaos;Head, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Welcome to NHK. I don't know, maybe it became a really big problem?
May 17, 2009 7:32 AM

Dec 2008
Snowley said:
Hikkikomori (NEET) got pretty popular in manga/anime nowadays. From only what I've seen, I found them in Chaos;Head, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Welcome to NHK. I don't know, maybe it became a really big problem?
Hmmm I don't think hikkikomori and NEET are exactly same thing...so I don't think we can really use the terms synonymously. I thought that NEET is more referred to people who are unemployed? I guess hikkikomori can be considered as a NEET since I'm assuming that most of them aren't employed, but that doesn't necessarily meant that every NEET is a hikkikomori..

I mean, Hirasawa referred to himself and the rest of the group as a NEET, but they aren't a hikkikomori..

About your comment about hikkikomori, rather then it being a bigger problem (I think it's always been around), it's more like people are more aware of the problem
May 17, 2009 9:24 AM

Aug 2008
Thanks, Windy.

For everyone who doesn't like to read the previous comments in the discussion, Koda at http://srsfkn.biz had some really interesting things to say, some of it may have cleared up what I said in my post, but of course, it is a speculative in nature.
May 17, 2009 9:26 AM

Dec 2007
robbydesu said:
Snowley said:
Hmmm I don't think hikkikomori and NEET are exactly same thing...so I don't think we can really use the terms synonymously. I thought that NEET is more referred to people who are unemployed? I guess hikkikomori can be considered as a NEET since I'm assuming that most of them aren't employed, but that doesn't necessarily meant that every NEET is a hikkikomori..

I mean, Hirasawa referred to himself and the rest of the group as a NEET, but they aren't a hikkikomori..

About your comment about hikkikomori, rather then it being a bigger problem (I think it's always been around), it's more like people are more aware of the problem

its exactly as you say. a Hikikomori is always a NEET, but a NEET is not always a hikikomori. While a NEET may have a social life etc. a hikikomori does not and avoids contact with other people.
May 17, 2009 9:43 AM

Apr 2009
I think Takisawa sneaked into L's closet.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
May 17, 2009 9:48 AM

Dec 2008
Evilyn said:
LOL I noticed it in the 2nd episode, I think that may be part of the reason why I like Takizawa so much XD
May 17, 2009 12:07 PM

Sep 2008

I lol'd at those scenes so hard.
Micchon is adorable

May 17, 2009 4:49 PM

Oct 2008
dbaranyi said:

More talk, no action. I'm getting the feeling that we may well not get a full resolution of the mystery of Selecao in this short TV anime series.

Agreed. I'm afraid that all of this time spent saving *ahem* "Private Johnny" will hurt this series in the long run.
May 17, 2009 4:56 PM

Jan 2009
interestinng

May 17, 2009 7:24 PM

Jun 2007
I'm interested to see what happens when Eden goes live. This could potential make everyone equals and totally destroy privacy lol. I can see how this tool will come in handy for Takizawa when he wants to learn more about the other 11 members with phones.
May 17, 2009 7:53 PM

Aug 2008
WOW this episode was sooooooooo boring. I can't believe that was an episode. What a waste considering how fantastic this series had been. Next episode better rock to make up for this.

I hope Oosugi survives
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
May 17, 2009 8:17 PM

Dec 2008
mcjazzman32 said:
WOW this episode was sooooooooo boring. I can't believe that was an episode. What a waste considering how fantastic this series had been. Next episode better rock to make up for this.

I hope Oosugi survives
Are you serious? O_o how was it boring? We learn so much....for example the meaning behind "Eden of the East". Plus we get to have the other characters interact with Takizawa o__o..
May 17, 2009 8:56 PM

Jun 2008
9001/5.

Best episode IMO. Explained various things about the plot... i had to watch it twice, though. =B
May 17, 2009 8:57 PM

Feb 2009
I don't argee with mcjazzman that it was boring
but it is understandable....
he is comparing this episode to the others and it is not as hard hitting in comparison,
like I said earlier it was on the passive side
but still great ^.^
~May you continue being the Messiah....
May 17, 2009 9:29 PM

Oct 2007
great eps... found stuff out that needed to be explained.... but at the same time, getting a bunch of other questions

i wish theyd follow up on the kiss from last eps tho!! >_<
May 18, 2009 4:15 PM

Jul 2008
ClearSinz said:
interesting seems like they have met and kinda a bit of ironic
Akira (b4 memory swap) gathered neets into his building and killed about 20000 of them i think , and now the current one is planning to help them
so wouldnt it be bad if they found out that he killed Neets and could possibly think that Akira would backstab them?

o wells looking forward to next episode =D
that is possible but we'll just have to find out in the coming episodes.
May 18, 2009 4:39 PM

Dec 2007
ShanaFlame said:
ClearSinz said:
interesting seems like they have met and kinda a bit of ironic
Akira (b4 memory swap) gathered neets into his building and killed about 20000 of them i think , and now the current one is planning to help them
so wouldnt it be bad if they found out that he killed Neets and could possibly think that Akira would backstab them?

o wells looking forward to next episode =D
that is possible but we'll just have to find out in the coming episodes.

as have been mentioned here before, Akira did not kill those NEETs he gathered..
May 18, 2009 7:55 PM

Nov 2007
Does anyone know what the hell a NEET is?
May 18, 2009 8:01 PM

Dec 2008
Shadow_Strider said:
Does anyone know what the hell a NEET is?
Go read some of other people's posts, some do a good job at discussing about it, especially in previous threads for previous episodes
May 19, 2009 3:08 AM

Mar 2008
First have of this episode was far from usual quality.
May 19, 2009 5:34 AM

Jan 2008
Evilyn said:
Exactly what I thought XD
Poor Oosugi :/
May 19, 2009 8:31 AM

May 2008
5 more episodes. I hope things straighten out by then.
May 19, 2009 8:35 AM

Dec 2008
canephalanx said:
5 more episodes. I hope things straighten out by then.
Oh wow you're right :O, it went by so quickly! I totally forgot it's gonna be short, I hope it ends well too
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Plate - Apr 9, 2009

404 by prozyne »»
Apr 9, 2023 1:35 AM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.