Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 29, 2014 11:51 PM

Oct 2013
Damn, I was really, truly hoping Kyon knew about Mikuru's mole because dey fug. And after that kiss, my Kyon x Mikuru pairing has been crushed... *sniffles*

Kyon x Haruhi is cool too, though, so it's all good. That kiss might've been a real D'AWWWWWWW moment for me if I hadn't already had it spoiled for me on the episode 6 discussion thread for obvious reasons. Didn't even know it was between them two until I started watching this episode and put 2 and 2 together. Especially with that sleeping beauty thing. <_>

Overall, great finale, great series, and I'm glad I watched it in the Kyon (original broadcast) order. I liked all the characters a lot, the very nature of the series made it really unique for a slice of life, the voice cast was fantastic... overall, a lot to love.

Now to proceed to season 2 and have my entire opinion of the series demolished by the endless eight! YATTAAAAAA!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 9, 2014 4:21 PM

Dec 2013
Holy shit. I don't know in which order am I watching this lmao.
According to this there are 4 orders but I'm watching something else lol. Episodes 12,13,14 were basically the same. Screw it.

Oh, it's actually 'E' order. In this case how am I supposed to rate this series ..
AizixSep 9, 2014 4:24 PM
Sep 10, 2014 1:52 PM

Aug 2014
Kyouraku-san said:
Holy shit. I don't know in which order am I watching this lmao.
According to this there are 4 orders but I'm watching something else lol. Episodes 12,13,14 were basically the same. Screw it.

Oh, it's actually 'E' order. In this case how am I supposed to rate this series ..

same here dude, I just finished 14 and im so confused

Sep 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Jan 2014
-Broadcast Order: "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI"-

Well, good finale of an arc that saved the day. If it wasn't for the main story, it would have been really boring, imho.
Fine show, a little bit of a disappointment. If this first season is like that, I don't know if I'll ever pick up the second one. I think I'll pass directly to the movie, which is so praised.
Oct 9, 2014 2:11 PM

Jan 2014
I definitely need to re-watch this in the broadcast
order and then I'll probably skip the second season.
This episode I watched in the chronological order as
the 14th (another Endless Eight) was, yes, pretty boring.
Oct 25, 2014 3:52 PM

Jul 2012
Watching it in chrono order because the files I downloaded were that way. I'll just score everything as a whole in the end...
Nov 17, 2014 11:33 PM

Oct 2013
coolies man
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 29, 2014 2:29 PM

Sep 2014
i love this show, i love the concept, and freaking love the idea of the order of the episode
Dec 22, 2014 10:00 PM

May 2014
Well, watched it in chrono order because that's how the download was orientated. Watched all the Endless Eight, yes. I liked paying attention to the small changes in detail.

I must say, as I was watching the first 6 episodes I could easily tell which episodes were the broadcast finale of the first season. I felt like I was watching spoilers, and it made me wish I was watching in broadcast order because I could tell it had a well written build-up and climax.

However, overall, I guess I'm happy with watching it chronologically. I'm sure I would have been very confused in broadcast order. It seems like this is one that no matter which way you watch first, you wish you watched the other way. Pros and cons to both sides =p

Anyways, on to the movie!

(Season 1 = 8/10, Season 2 = 7/10)

EDIT: After watching the movie, I've been compelled to raise the scores of each season by 1. (S1 = 9/10, S2 = 8/10, Movie = 10/10)
794Dec 24, 2014 1:27 AM
Feb 28, 2015 2:14 PM

Sep 2013
Does anyone remember the saying of Haruhi? Spreading excitement al over the world... by what?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Jun 11, 2015 2:57 AM

Sep 2012
I really have no idea how to feel about this..... I watched in chronological, so the ending is in Season 1? Gyah, Haruhi really doesn't want to let me watch these sensibly.

Regardless, 7/10 as a whole, but really didn't like this episode for the 3-4 minutes of unintelligible voices, and the fact that it just wasn't what I'd come to love about Haruhi.

Next step is to watch it all again! In broadcast order! ..... Much, much, later... (Seriously, it was good, but I'll need a few months before I consider rewatching)
Oct 5, 2015 3:54 PM
Feb 2015
This show was very enjoyable, can't wait to see season 2 and most of all the movie

9/10
Oct 21, 2015 8:12 PM

Mar 2014
-Chronological last episode- Someday in the Rain

Aw that walk in the rain between the two of them was cute. But I have one question, why was there so many scenes of Nagato reading the book from that particular camera angle? Was there suppose to be a meaning behind it?
Zanos1Oct 21, 2015 8:18 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Nov 18, 2015 4:56 AM

Dec 2014
need more
Feb 18, 2016 3:46 AM

Jan 2013
[Watching in broadcast order]

"Ponytails turn me on"
Thank god they finally kissed, allthough Haruhi might still see it as just something that happened during her dream.

Absolutely loved the first season and I have to say that I'm very glad I stuck with the broadcast order.

The characters are definitely one of the best attributes to this show.

9/10
Apr 27, 2016 1:01 PM

Nov 2012
[Broadcast order]
Been waiting for them to kiss ever since Snow White was mentioned back in episode 10.

Haruhi looks good with a ponytail.

7/10.
May 8, 2016 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
Didn't feel like an ending episode at all...
It just felt a little lazy by the people writing it...

The anime as a whole was pretty enjoyable, with a few very good episodes.
I'd give it a 7/10.
May 21, 2016 9:50 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
And with this episode season is over, a season full of madness, laughter and revelations, but attractive.

--
Y con este episodio se acaba la temporada, una temporada llena de locura, risas y revelaciones, pero atractiva.
May 24, 2016 10:45 PM

Mar 2015
Endless 8 Part III

The show ended with a cliffhanger, LOL. SOS Brigade cant still get out of the infinite loop and the Season one ended, LOL. I guess broadcast order will be ideal way to finish Season one but I like more the chronological order because the story makes much more sense this way.

Well, this episode is just a repetition of last 2 episode with minor changes. Nothing much really happened. I guess Ill wait for Season II after few months. i know there is already Season II in this era but my style of watching anime is different. Season I is on 2006 and Season II is 2009. That makes 3 years worth of waiting. My few months waiting is equivalent to 3 years so I guess I need to wait patiently.

Episode: 3.2/5

Overall: 10/10 because of the amazing Sci-Fi plot.

I am so excited for the next season.
Jun 19, 2016 2:37 PM

Jun 2013
I'm extremely glad that I watched this in the airing (Kyon) order. It made this episode have way more impact.

Jul 7, 2016 3:52 AM

Jul 2016
(chronological order)
i honestly felt like they ran out of ideas, im talking about the 3-5 minute scene of yuki sitting down reading.

it ended a little disappointingly but cute. i think abrupt is a better word. cant believe i have already watched the whole season on the first day of discovery.

i noticed that haruhi stopped changing her hairstyle everyday. either that or it was monday everyday
fam_famJul 10, 2016 12:29 AM
fam fam was here. aria and shana are great. make more anime or video games for them, amarite??
^_^
Jul 11, 2016 8:43 AM

Mar 2016
This anime is so confusing, I really don't get why so many people say its the best.
Aug 19, 2016 4:02 PM
Jul 2016
I watched in original broadcast order and I loooved the vibe that Someday in the Rain had. After I saw that it's supposed to be the chronological last episode, I thought it felt really appropriate, even though I hadn't seen all the rest of the anime, and I still do.
Aug 21, 2016 5:47 AM

Sep 2015
I feel sad for those who chose to or accidentally watched season 1 in chronological order. You know, it's like watching Memento chronologically.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Mar 21, 2017 11:02 AM

Nov 2016
Reviewed from chronological order so the final episode was the third episode of the Endless Eight.

Was quite a fun 13 episodes. The 14th one was just episode 13 though with barely any changes which was what I expected. Still it's a 7/10 for me. Not too bad.
Aug 14, 2017 6:43 AM

Jul 2008
Crap....endless 8 part 3, Kyon just ask her what else she wants to do!!!
Sep 29, 2017 8:34 PM

Dec 2015
The viewing orders of this series are confusing af (people are commenting about ep14 in the ep6 forum without knowing it)... didn't realise my copy already arranged s1,2 in chronological order O_o

That said, the plot just stepped up another level with this episode - what a riveting ride. Would have preferred this more moderate balance of narration in Monogatari.
~
Nov 1, 2017 8:29 PM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
................I kind of hate this anime.

Dec 27, 2017 1:51 PM

Oct 2015
I must say I really enjoyed this series, but at first I really struggled with the episode listing but now I'm good thanks to MAL providing the link to wiki. It was not hard to unscramble them, but all I know 'endless eight is not the last episode of this season' and 'someday in the rain' is the last ep.
If you watch endless eight as the last your rating will fault, so please check because this series is worth it.

It was fun to watch Haruhi and her antics that caused panic to the end of the world, I liked how the fate of the world depended on her feelings.
Damn that was a unique anime and crazy fun to watch, but this episode was heartwarming and made me look forward to season 2.

7/10 is my gift to it but I think it will be more when I watch s2.
lihle808Dec 27, 2017 2:02 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 28, 2018 1:30 AM

Feb 2018
I loved the last episode (broadcast order) and I am really glad I watched in that order, it was a perfect ending (and I don't think that the rain episode would be a good ending at all).

How Snow White and Sleeping Beauty fitted perfectly at the end, their kiss, actually two of them having intimate romantic moments, the hand holding at school, I loved everything about this episode.

Struggling between 8 and 9, I really want to give it a 9, but there were some weaker episodes (the band one, and the rain one), but this ending was so nice that I want to reward it.

Anyhow, great anime, loved that I discovered it, and I am very happy that I made the right decision of watching in broadcast order.
Apr 28, 2018 10:10 PM

Apr 2017
that cliffhanger >,<

still the most memorable moment of the series is haruhi trolling kyon with that turn around say daisuki

still life: pink roses
May 3, 2018 6:12 PM

Sep 2017
This episode sucks balls.

So, Finale: Time loop continues. AGAIN. No plot development, worst episode, so I give this 1/10. I hope Haruhi dies. Anyways, I won't be checking out the LN or next season, so I am glad. I don't care a shit about broadcast order. Plot was shit, so I don't care about art or soundtrack, which have been mediocre to say the least. The initial part was little promising, but it just fuzzed out. Perhaps they should have focused less on hyping this and more on putting a coherant plot. I would have written a better plot than this when I was 5 years old.

Seriously, the last 2 episodes were cut copy paste of the 12th episode. If you watched it in another order, good for you. But fuck this anime for giving different viewing orders. Since this order was one of the possible orders given, I will rate the anime for this order because they allowed this order to exist. (But I would have given it a 1 anyway because I hate the characters.)

I don't care if there is extra material. This sucks.

Fuck this shit. I am out.

JeremiahOrangeMay 3, 2018 6:17 PM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 8, 2018 10:23 AM

May 2016
These DVD orders forums spoils a lot of content damn it, I shouldn't have came here.

I watch it by release order yeah they made another boring loop again seriously why doing that again for the third episode 7/10
Aug 8, 2018 5:18 PM
Aug 2018
Saw Haruhi 2006 back in 2008-ish, and it's been about five or six years since I've really watched it. Just came here to say that this episode is a masterpiece.
Mar 19, 2019 8:50 PM
Apr 2018
Ohh, Suzumiya Part 6 was a nice ending for the season. I'm glad I watched it in broadcast order although some episodes in the middle felt like fillers and were kinda boring. It was also a mess to understand the story at times.
May 14, 2019 10:21 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah, the streaming site I was watching on ended on "Someday in the Rain." A little bit of a decline from the previous episodes.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 9, 2019 12:59 AM
Dec 2018
What the hell is Going on, This Episode Was So Boring, In fact this whole Series is Boring. They Showed a Single Frame Of Nagato Reading a Book For 4 minutes, Boring
Sep 19, 2019 12:12 AM
Dec 2017
not bad reliving with god or something.. i would love to have time loop.. ahh without scl.. yeeeey
Nov 27, 2019 9:03 AM

Feb 2019
Wow, that was an amazing series. Really loved it. Felt really fun, entertaining, quirky, and random throughout! One of the three series that has ever made me laugh (along with OreGairu and Kaguya-sama).

A lot happened in this episode, and it happened in a way that I was really hoping for! Damn, that was a nice kiss back there, Kyon. Way to go. Him starting with saying that he has a thing for ponytails though, and then that kiss destroyed the enclosed space. That was some awesome animation.

I really love Kyon x Haruhi for some reason. They don't have the usual characteristics of a pair of leads that I want to see end up together, but they just really fit and I love them. It seems Haruhi remembers it as a dream but wore a ponytail anyway in the hopes that it might be real. So all along, Haruhi had feelings for Kyon.

Wow, I really need to watch the second season.

Amazing series. A masterpiece adaptation. I truly see why KyoAni is really worth its name and reputation.
Jan 14, 2020 10:07 AM
Apr 2016
I can see why people hate this arc... It feels like just rewatching, a few changes just can't cut it. Oh well.
Feb 3, 2020 3:16 AM

Feb 2019
Again, Haruhi and Kyon look so cute together here. Haruhi staying behind because Kyon was sleeping and putting her cardigan over him was really sweet too, and her embarrassed expression after he suddenly woke up was icing on the cake. She definitely likes Kyon.

Fun rewatch, enjoyed rewatching the first season as part of season 2's broadcast order!
Feb 23, 2020 11:32 AM

Feb 2015
Watched this in the broadcast order, and it's certainly a lot different than what I expected at first. One of the more interesting... slice of life(?) anime I've watched.
Jun 8, 2020 4:49 AM

May 2018
The time loop repeats again sigh
Aug 29, 2020 11:58 AM

Mar 2019
blindassassin said:
I enjoyed it, but I think it's overrated. Sorry, I'm not a romantic. I don't think love can save the world.

I didn't save the world. That kiss only stunned Suzumiya long enough to disrupt her unconscious world-remaking process, since she has an also unconscious crush on Kyon.

Weird shit keeps happening after that and they would probably be a horrible couple.
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Aug 30, 2020 6:32 PM

Jan 2014
so 6 years ago i watched the first season in broadcast order, and liked it but not enough to bother with the second season. fast forward to about a week ago, i finally watched the second season and really liked it, but there were so many references to the first that i couldn't understand. it bothered me enough, and the first season was short enough, that i decided to rewatch it in chronological order. best decision ever!

it is so hard to rate this series on a season by season basis, bc it kind of matters which order you watched it in. so based on both seasons as a whole (and having watching it chronologically) i think i'm going to bump it up to a 9/10. their commitment to continuity really astounds me (not sure how much of it is due to the LN but either way it was fun as a viewer). would really recommend rewatching in chronological order after the broadcast order :)
Oct 9, 2020 5:58 AM

Mar 2020
Just another episode of the endless eight for me. I have to say, I'm surprised by how interesting it's been so far. I've never considered how much the outcome of a situation could differ if it were to be repeated, so I've enjoyed spotting all the minor differences between episodes. I still feel the frustration that everyone else does, but the worst part is that all my gripes have perfectly logical answers. We all know what Kyon needs to do in order to break the cycle, but his inaction makes sense since he doesn't have the same understanding of his situation that we do. It makes sense why Yuki has only been an observer, since her conflict with Ryouko makes it extremely apparent that it's the only thing she can do.

However, while I appreciate all the interesting meta-humour and sci-fi concepts, I'm not entirely sure what this show is trying to say. The most obvious interpretation is that it's one big 'haha women amiritelol' joke, but the meticulous worldbuilding and consistency makes me feel like it was meant to mean more than that. I can enjoy something for the sole reason that it's enjoyable, but I hate that my intuition keeps telling me that I'm missing something.

I've been thinking for a while about how I can rate this season, but in the end I've decided not to. The episode I watched is so far from an ending that it hurts, so I think I'll just have to rate this series in its entirety by the time season 2 comes to an end. So far it's been a pretty solid 7, though I'm afraid the problems I have with the second season might bump it down to a 6.
Dec 10, 2020 11:02 PM

Sep 2018
Bruh, come on, wtf were those last three episodes? XD I feel cheated.

A slow burn and a lame ass ending? Nice. Kyon inner monologues were the shining point of this show by far. 6/10...

Actually nah, 5/10 for this crap. I'll still watch the 2nd season and the movie (which has a massive score, I'm intrigued)...
GakutoDeathGlareDec 10, 2020 11:06 PM
Jan 9, 2021 1:42 PM

Feb 2020
Oookay so for some reason I ended up watching the actual last episode, from a chronological point of view. And well, I'm glad I did since it did feel like a wholesome finale episode, at least when it comes to the few last scenes.

Now about the series itself... I'll definitely have to check out the chronologically order, not to rewatch it but at least to fully grasp the character development. Though no matter what it doesn't seem like there's been that much development anyway.
Haruhi especially, can be a well written and actually likable characters at times, but she started off as an abusive person and in the end she remains an abusive person. I spent half the episode watching her physically assaulting Mikuru. AND THE EPISODE MADE IT LOOK LIKE IT WAS FUNNY.
And that's one of the many issues I have with this show. I like it and I can more or less see what made it become such a classic when it first aired, but still, it's not THAT good.
But the weird order ruined so much of my experience I don't even feel like making a rant or something. How could the staff think making it air in a messed up order would be a good idea ?!

Well, now I have to watch the second season before watching the apparently best part of the series aka the movie... Wish me luck for when I'll have to go through the Endless Eight. I'll need it.
Jan 31, 2021 6:34 PM

Apr 2019
was pretty decent and fun overall, 6/10.

Mar 15, 2021 6:37 PM

Jun 2014
So, it's the third episode of the "Endless Eight." It was very much like the last episode, although Mikuru had her down while wearing the yukata this time.

This anime is pretty good so far, but as I now start the second season, I'll be glad to eventually get through all of the Endless Eight.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 16, 2008

61 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 18, 12:17 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

71 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 18, 12:29 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Jul 30, 2008

86 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 18, 12:00 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

92 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 17, 10:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.