Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 28, 2016 6:57 AM
Mar 2015
I loved the anime so much, i watched in like 4 or 5 days all the anime. In the final episode, before the credits, tears begun to fall with that first OP music "Hello, Sadness" instrumental, i think. I was very happy and sad at the same time when the music started to play and in the background all happy and Kyoko and Godai saying their first lines when they first met to Haruka. I hope to forget this anime and the story to watch it again because it was beautiful. I hope sometime, someone makes a remake of this (with the same voices? If possible).
Maison Ikkoku 100/10! One of my favorites!
Jul 29, 2016 2:31 PM

Jul 2010
I'm thinking about watching this, but I have a question: It doesn't have panty shots or boob grabbing, does it? If it does, I'm dropping it. I want to know before I decide whether to watch it or not.
Jul 29, 2016 3:11 PM
Mar 2015
Firechick12012 said:
I'm thinking about watching this, but I have a question: It doesn't have panty shots or boob grabbing, does it? If it does, I'm dropping it. I want to know before I decide whether to watch it or not.
Hmm, it have but not the ecchi way if you know what im saying, nothing like Highschool DxD or Masuen Gakou HxH, nothing like that. Most of that "boob grabbing" occurs due to accidents. Panty shots i never saw anything like that, in manga have more because i watched the anime and im watching the manga now, manga its different of course.
You should watch it, one of my favorite animes, great story, funny characters, a lot of romance, a LOT of misunderstandings. Enjoy!
Jul 30, 2016 3:21 PM
Mar 2015
I dont know if i can post here a link to a petition, i will post, if i cant someone say and i take it back
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/maison-ikkoku-remake
Aug 11, 2016 11:55 PM

Jan 2013
It's almost impossible not to be satisfied with such a conclusive ending like this.
8.75/10

I don't know what the point of the sequel movie is when this ending had everything.
Aug 28, 2016 1:15 AM

Oct 2014
10/10 ending, MAL rating 9/10 from me. Hard to give it a 9/10 after all the frustration it caused me but I feel generous after that ending. Especially having watched 96 episodes in just 2 days. To say the misunderstanding trope in this anime was like beating a dead horse would be an understatement.
Oct 10, 2016 5:19 PM
Apr 2013
My life feels empty now 10/10
Nov 14, 2016 12:33 PM

Oct 2016
This was a really enjoyable, but kind of a frustrating watch. Godai was an UNLUCKY protagonist for a lot of this which sucked because he became such a good guy.

Kyoko kinda treated him like shit for the first bit (assuming that he groped her at the beach which he should have stayed mad about for longer, her slapping him after he tried to kiss her AFTER she stood him up, treating him to her dead husband's favorite meal AFTER hearing that Godai was in love with her) and even after it shows she started developing feelings for him, her late husband was ALWAYS in the way. That Christmas episode with the rock was just heartbreaking for me to watch. Godai goes through ALL that trouble to find out what it was and to get it back. He didn't have to tell her that it was a present from Soichiro, but he did because that's the kind of nice guy he is. He didn't even get the chance to give her his gift.

I kinda wish it has delved more into the depression that it was causing Godai when Soichiro always seemed to get in the way. I know she did her final goodbye, but there always that lingering feeling that she still loved Soichiro. I mean, Godai was such an accepting person to be able to deal with the fact that he walks in on her crying over Soichiro's items AFTER they were engaged. That's what frustrated me the most about this whole Soichiro thing. Kyoko just kinda gets away with doing this shit without any repercussion. I know that might sound a bit heartless, but you have clearly showed you want to move on and are now engaged to another guy who you claim to love, you having hangups for your last husband just comes off as unhealthy. Another example would be the dog (who I loved, but didn't like what he represented)I mean in episode 93, she tells him she found it silly he would panic over the dog's name. I didn't find it silly at all he would panic when she would say it because that was just a constant reminder for Godai of her other love. After he tells her how insecure he feels hearing her talk about Soichiro and when she says his name, she responds with "Only think of me." but that question remains. Is she taking her own advice? Is she only thinking of Godai? I mean in this episode it clearly shows she's not so does that continue? Even after they are married? After they have their daughter? I mean maybe not, but it makes you think. I found it kinda sad that Godai just accepted that Soichiro will always be apart of her.

Oh also, can I get a spinoff of just Godai's grandma? She was probably the funniest character in this story. The Ikkoku gang (Yotsuya, Ichinose, and Akemi) were also funny, but a lot of the time they took their teasing a little too far and just came off as cruel alcoholics (When they abused Godai's tab at the Cabaret).
JakNov 14, 2016 7:54 PM
Nov 14, 2016 12:36 PM

Oct 2016
MightySheep said:
10/10 ending, MAL rating 9/10 from me. Hard to give it a 9/10 after all the frustration it caused me but I feel generous after that ending. Especially having watched 96 episodes in just 2 days. To say the misunderstanding trope in this anime was like beating a dead horse would be an understatement.

Got that right especially towards the end, when it just kept piling on Godai one after the other. It just shows how much of a nice guy he is. The one that annoyed me a bit was that Kozue thing, she acted like she didn't know him when she saw Akemi and him come out of the love hotel. She showed that she still loved Godai even though she chose to marry that other guy. It seems like she just wanted to move on and hoped her love would grow for that other guy because he loved her.
Nov 14, 2016 12:40 PM

Oct 2016
RediceRyan said:
It's almost impossible not to be satisfied with such a conclusive ending like this.
8.75/10

I don't know what the point of the sequel movie is when this ending had everything.
It wasn't even a sequel I don't know why it's called the final chapter. It takes place in the week between the final goodbye grave visit and the wedding and also caused quite a few continuity errors.
Dec 19, 2016 10:09 AM
Dec 2016
I liked the Maison Ikkoku very much. In fact so much that I watched it twice in a row. Partially accidentaly as the end had some lines from the beginning and I went to see if they in fact were and ended up watching it the second time. I also did read the manga as it had extra bits. As to why I liked Maison Ikkoku? I'm not entirely sure. One aspect is certainly that the story is not about high schoolers but more adults. Storyline was good as well and since so much in life tends to be about misunderstanding and assumption which this is filled with. That said it does require stronger will as certain parts are so frustrating that one feels oen should shake the computer and shout to main character. However the story will have ending for all the long lived characters.

However there are few things in manga which I do suggest to check out. More of those below.

After episode 27 (or 26 doesn't really matter) one might want to read two chapters from this point. It explains what happens after episode 26. Why Kyoko is again relaxed with both Godai and Mitaka. Note that this continues is straight after end of episode 26.
volume 3, chapter 2: Catch of the Day

Then there are four parts where there is more reactions between Kyoko and Godai which I think would have had worth including. Some of these might be considered spoilers so I'll stick these within spoiler tags.

Dec 22, 2016 3:12 PM
Mar 2015
I agree with you! I think they needed to put "hidden" parts on the anime too for better understanding. I wanted to read the manga because of the things they dindt put on the anime but i cant, im a anime guy but i really loved this anime. It is on my top 10, maybe 3!
Jun 25, 2017 2:54 PM

Jan 2017
danthom1704 said:
I'm glad they didn't stop at 94. To many end at the confession or kiss. But I wish they had more after that. Sorry for wanting more love and romance then tears and heartache. I love seeing loving couples interact with each other.

yeah i mean you should give PROPER closure when airing an anime of 96 episodes i dont agree with people saying that the anime should've ended with the 94th episode the ending was all teary and satisfying.. i'm glad they ended things like that

one of the greatest anime i've ever seen
20/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2017 6:32 PM

May 2009
The finale was great! It reminds me of how a Spanish Novela's finale would end: The main characters' Marriage and revealing what happened to the other characters months after the memorable event.

I'm really happy that Godai went to Souichirou's grave to ask for his blessing for the wedding. It was like Godai was promising that he would make Kyoko happy for the rest of their lives together.

The wedding, though it was short and simplistic, was nice to see as it unfolded. Souichirou's dad's message to Kyoko was so heartwarming. Kyoko's dad was so emotional it was funny just seeing him hold it in. Also, can't believe how much Kentarou and Ikuko grew!!

The afterparty was great too! Godai summarizing his journey that led to this special day was really courageous to say and calling Kyoko his wife was so satisfying to hear :)

As for the other characters: Mitaka and Asuna are parents to twins ( they were so cute!!)and a third coming up (Mitaka works fast lol). Akemi and her boss?/coworker got together( that was a surprise?!). Kozue is happily married. Yagami is in college and still can't get over Godai (This girl needs to move ON!!)

Finally, OMG Godai and Kyoko are parents!!! XD And they named her Haruka(I love that name!)I loved that Kyoko and Godai are going to raise their child in the place they first met! Now that's romantic!

Overall, This series was a roller coaster of frustration, misfortune, bittersweet,warmheartedness, and satisfaction to me...and I enjoyed it :)
Aug 8, 2017 12:08 PM

Apr 2014
regardless of all the things this series puts you through the last 3 eps makes up for everything even after rewatching this series each time it still remains as 1 of my all time favorite series and something i'll continue to rewatch as the years goes by

one of the most satisfying endings ever made

though the only 1 thing i wished for more was Ibuki as she was the only 1 without a happy ending the only more you can even get from her is the movie that takes place before this ep but even then wish there was a bit more as she's best girl imo

but in the end whats done is done will forever love Masion Ikkoku
"one step at a time"
Oct 24, 2017 11:49 AM

Aug 2015
Have to say, I really liked the ending. It left me with satisfaction which not a lot of shows do. I got stringed along many times getting annoyed at certain behaviours of characters, but all in all I have to say I still love this show.

Somehow even after all it's flaws it has something special that very little shows have, it's hard to explain but it has that touch on it that you can feel in so many episodes. For me episode 94 might have been the best of the last arc and 95,96 closed it up very very well.

All in all a very good show 8.5 for me.
Nov 1, 2017 6:47 PM

Mar 2014
good ending, nothing climatic but it's nice that they took the time to give a proper closure to each character, you almost don't see this in todays anime when they give a open ending expecting a second season that much probrably never gonna happen.
changing the topic a bit, i kinda don't like to watch this kind of story, it makes me question what the hell i'm doing with my life.
Nov 3, 2017 9:57 PM
Feb 2017
longest anime i've ever watched, and i kind of can't believe it's over. i can't imagine watching anything of a similar length that was such a roller coaster for me.

this show alternated spastically between being breathtakingly beautiful, painfully outdated, laugh out loud funny, and almost abusive in it's misdirection, but by its end it was an incredibly satisfying watch. while i had to take a break at times due to the frustration of the show being like 20-30 episodes too long in my opinion, ultimately i'll remember it for containing some of the most singularly moving and beautiful scenes of any show i've watched
Nov 19, 2017 12:55 PM

May 2015
This anime was very good. It started with 8, quickly became 9, even 10, then it dropped to 7 and went to 6, but endind episodes made it 7 even 8. I stayed with 7 because like 50 % episodes was dragging this show and misunderstandings were horrible sometimes.

Man, Mitaka is some horny dude. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 30, 2017 8:39 AM

Jun 2016
This is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. It is full of funny incidents, light-hearted moments but also portrays the inner world and real life struggles of the characters very well. I love each and every character in the series, from Kyoko and Godai to the most unimportant side characters. They are all so human, so full of life.

I am so glad I’ve seen this show and I will definitely miss it!
Dec 8, 2017 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
If someone asked me to describe this anime with a word it would be heartwarming. Even if the whole ride was frustrating and there were too many misunderstandings and misscommunication, which I usually found annoying and made me want to drop it, I found the ending to be satisfying and paid off for everything.

I even got teary when Godai was talking to Soichiro's grave and Kyoko was listening to him. That scene, along with what he said - was beautiful. I spent the whole episode smiling and not wanting it to end, wanting to know what happen even after!

My biggest complain about MI is that I found 96 episodes too much and thus, it was dragged a lot even when there was only... two, more or less, filler episodes, but there were too many in which the story or the characters relationship didn't advance and even took a step back, imo. That's why this could been even better with half the episodes - a few misunderstandings here, a bit of 'rivalry' there...

The tenants - mostly Ichinose and Yotsuya - were fine and funny the first episodes, but after that they started to be annoying and they didn't do anything but bother Godai (and ME!) with the whole drinking.

Well, I'll definetly miss this, now one of my favorite series. I doubt I will rewatch it again (at least in the next three years lol) but I'll read the manga because I want to check out those scenes which other people said that were cut out.

Also, one thing I won't ever forget is the music, the openings and endings, definitely my favorites - beautiful and catchy.
Dec 20, 2017 9:01 PM
Nov 2013
Tbh, i would have liked a few more indepth episodes of their developing relationship after ~93 episodes of dramatic torture. More of their engaged and married life and raising their child. Still, a good ending though.

One thing that has been bugging me, is that, at their wedding party, Godai calls her "Kyouko-dou". The subs I saw translated it as him saying 'Kyouko-san' and then correcting it to 'my wife' but I can't help wondering what the suffix "dou" means. I can't seem to find any information on the internet, so is it perhaps some kind of wordplay?

Oh by the way, what chapter of the manga does the anime get up to?
Dec 21, 2017 11:37 AM
Dec 2016
OliverGriffin said:
Oh by the way, what chapter of the manga does the anime get up to?

The entire thing. There are few thing cut from the story here and there, but it covers it to the end.
Dec 29, 2017 5:31 AM

Nov 2012
The misunderstandings,Kyouko's bullshit stringing along Mitaka,Godai stringing Kozue along,Kozue entire character being a dense retard,the anime being 50 episodes longer than it needed to be,the supporting cast/tenants all being unlikable assholes,christ there's so much I hated about this anime but even still there were a few genuinely good moments which despite how rarely they occurred made me like this anime (not to a significant amount but a fairly decent enough amount).

Looking through this thread I see all these people give this an 8,9 or 10 and lowest being 7 not me, at best give this 6,urusei yatsura is definitely better than this.
Apr 8, 2018 8:17 PM

Feb 2010
At times I could be annoyed with Maison Ikkoku. Misunderstanding after misunderstanding, sometimes them being honestly ridiculous, I could grow impatient. But there was something beautiful about Maison Ikkoku, and that's the fact that Godai and Kyoko became incredibly fleshed characters, they could be annoying because of their very clear flaws, but that was part of them. I found myself wishing Godai the best, and I always wanted to see those misunderstandings, no matter how ridiculous, resolved. And truth be told, the series, even if slow, was always going forward.

I actually liked how the series covered so many years, and contrary to some opinions here, I really appreciated the extended ending. Yes, the climax, the peak was at episode 94. But after over 90 episodes of misunderstandings and problems, you know, 4 or 5 episodes of just sitting back and enjoying the fruits of all those previous episodes is something that I love. I don't like my ending cut just because I know what's coming. I like a long epilogue for a long series. The ending would've still been good for me, but it's those extra episodes what probably makes it a top 5 ending for me.

Having now watched Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, InuYasha and parts of Kyoukai no Rinne, I can most definitely say Maison Ikkoku is my favorite Rumiko Takahashi work.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Mar 2, 2019 8:03 AM
Feb 2017
AironicallyHuman said:
With the anime ending how it did, it was clear Kyoko loved Godai but it also appeared as if he had no chance of becoming as important to her as Soichiro, which made me feel a little sorry for him, after all he'd been through to get her.

Had to log in just to quote that. After the 4th rewatch yesterday I started thinking about all the relations, how Godai behaves, how Kyoko does, how Mitaka does and so on.
I really loved MI each time I started it over, but now I'm kind hating the whole triangle thing and how it was handled.
If it were me, after hearing her tell me I'd never be able to surpass the deceased husband, even after all the shit and pain she put me through, I'd say goodbye to her hypocrite ass and let her probably marry Mitaka, someone who only cared about himself during the whole anime.

I'm reading some discussion here and there and I'm finding out a lot of people think the same things as me, especially the fact that the whole Mitaka thing should've lasted way less, or at least make it so that Kyoko actually is interested in him, has almost the same reactions she has with Godai and such.
That's what pissed me off the most.
Mar 10, 2019 11:08 AM

Apr 2009
The ending was perfect and it was nice to see how Godai grew in the end.

Unfortunately the last few perfect episodes couldn't make up the mess of annoying and and repetitve cicle of misunderstandings and indecisiveness of the characters, not to mention all the other side characters most of them just plain annoying and static. I know this is about Godai and how he matures and finally wins Kyoko over. But most of the misunderstandings were unnecessary and repetitve. I had to force myself through it, I sometimes even skipped episodes or fastforwarded through it.

As I rate the serie AS A WHOLE and not just for the few good episodes and the great closure, I have to give it a 5. If I can't enjoy 90% of the show, even though the ending was perfect, I can't say that it's a good show altogether. A pity, I expected a lot more given the raving reviews and the rating.
Mar 20, 2019 5:49 PM

Nov 2016
Wow.

Maison Ikkoku has been a beutiful journey. Admittedly, a bumpy and challenging one, yet also equally rewarding for everyone patient enough, maybe even more than that. That said, the enormous potential was already clearly discernible right from the very beginning.

I was immediately fond of the cast, setting and the warm tone this series emitted. Those aspects let me knew I was in for a good ride.

The countless frustrating situations or misunderstandings along the way were also an essential aspect and retrospectively after taking a look at the whole picture I can truly appreciate them. Imo they symbolized how flawed, vulnerable we humans are and that it can be hard for us to cope with our emotions. Furthermore, the road to our goals is rarely smoothly paved, hardships what makes them worthwhile. Some situations might have been pushing the factor coincidence a bit too much, but in spite of that I was still able to find realism in the characters and messages.

Overall I really, really loved Maison Ikkoku with all the ups and downs and I took my sweet time with finishing it. Due to that I was also able to enjoy the more or less repetive episodic portion. However, the last chunk of the series s where it's at. It was able to exceed my high expectations based on the promise I mentioned above and I wished I would've taken even more time for my watch.

Many episodes hit right in the feels, especially the last batch since episode 80~ and the finale itself was the cherry on top. It contained so many powerful moments. The grave visit, the wedding, the conclusion for the other characters, Godai and Kyoko coming back to Maison Ikkoku with Haruka, the lines of their first encounter at the end, the instrumental of the first opening, everything was simply perfect. One of the most beautiful ways to conclude a story I've ever seen and I couldn't hold all the emotions which welled up inside me. I rewatched certain parts several times and I'm still flashed by them.

It's sad to say goodbye to this masterpiece, but at the same time I'm also glad that I can add another title to my all time favs.

Gonna make sure to check out the manga as well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 3, 2019 7:14 AM

Apr 2008
In a modern context, a few things really make this show stand out:

1) It's a romance anime with chacters who aren't in high school.
2) The female lead not only has previously had a boyfriend, she's been married.
3) The development of the romance really happens at a slow and steady pace, not only in terms of the number of episodes, but particularly in terms of the time that passes within the show itself.

Take that and add some cultural and attitude differences (some good, some bad) from a much different time period and you get a really unique feel.

Thematically, what I enjoyed most about this show was the idea that it's okay to take time to heal, and that love isn't something that needs to be rushed. I think that's a message more people could stand to see right now.

My major complaints about the series were how the author handled Kozue and Yagami once Yagami was introduced. Kozue, despite being quite obviously in love with Godai was put on some imaginary shelf that wasn't consistent with her motivations (it was later mentioned they 'met occasionally' but that's hardly satisfactory given the momentum their relationship, with escalating misunderstandings, had, up to the point where Yagami was introduced). It felt as though Yagami was kind of "inserted" to replace Kozue because she would put on more immediate and dynamic pressure, but, because of how suddenly it was done (and a lack of Kozue's presence for no apparent reason) it felt a little like the hand of the author was literally reaching into the pages of the manga and putting people where she wanted them to be.

Then, Yagami, almost as suddenly, just vanished in a single scene, where she expressed to Kyoko that she felt she couldn't do anything for Godai. It's understandable that that might be the conclusion she reached, but her not having any kind of goodbye, or further interaction with Godai or even so much as a single moment in the series until the very end seemed wildly inconsistent with her nature as a character. Even if in that moment she had given up, I can't imagine her not saying farewell to Godai in one way or nother. Her still idolizing him years later also didn't feel exactly in line with the parting feeling of not being able to do anything for him.

I've seen other people comment that they feel the same way, so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one. Just the way these secondary characters were treated alone probably moved my opinion of this show from a 10 to a 9. Though Mitaka was the main rival, and it makes sense that the most care was given to him, I felt that these two were still quite important to the plot of the story and, despite having so much potential and so much momentum, were kind of swept to the side. I can empathize that perhaps mangaka have pressures that we're not fully aware of as readers, though, so perhaps there was some such reason that the author made these decisions.

My only other complaint is that from time to time where Kyoko and Godai were at seemed to feel not completely consistent in terms of attitudes, momentum, etc. I've heard some things were re-ordered from the manga to anime, so perhaps this played a role in some of the inconsistencies in feeling I got.

Despite my complaints, still an excellent series, my gripes only really stand out because of the outstanding backdrop they stand in contrast to. Highly recommend.
Sep 22, 2019 1:56 PM

Jul 2015
Great ending, going through all that drama and misunderstanding too reach this point was definitely worth it

Glad that this is the last episode because Kyoko's hairstyle at the end gave me almost a heart attack

Never expected Master to propose to Akemi, bit odd since he should know what kind of person she is

Nice to see some children, we don't get that often at the end of romance anime

Dec 16, 2019 6:46 AM

Feb 2017
What a long ride. Quite a nice experience; sometimes frustating, yet sometimes heartening.
At the end, we haven't learnt anything regarding Yotsuya's background, though he became one of my favorite male character
Aug 18, 2020 2:36 AM

Mar 2017
Man, what a great payoff that was. Kinda sad that most of this anime was just going back and forth with misunderstandings, but things like Godai looking for a job, the whole Soichiro thing and these last episodes are way more pragmatic than what you'll normally find in a romcom.

Very flawed but definitely one I'll remember dearly.
Fluid15Aug 18, 2020 2:40 AM
Aug 30, 2020 11:29 PM

Jan 2014
Im sooooo glad that I've decided to stay through MI all the way. 10/10 for the ending, but scoring in MAL will be a 9 as it was really frustrating throughout the series but I would say its so worth it to the end. Not sure if I want to continue to start reading the manga series as I've heard that there are scenes that were cut in the anime series.. But overall, thank you Rumiko for this awesome series! Gonna continue finishing up the movie and OVA etcs to complete it up!

Previously I've watch Urusei Yatsura before hopping to MI just to taste the old school animation. This has really made me treasure old school animation more!
Oct 18, 2020 7:07 PM

May 2012
damn, that was a hell of an ending, this show has been a hell of a wild ride honestly, been a while since ive felt such a wide range of emotions as ive watched a show...
Nov 12, 2020 12:43 AM
Apr 2018
- It will be in my "favorite Anime Classic" list.
- It's been funny & heartwarming series for me.

Thank You :)
Feb 8, 2021 7:47 PM

Jan 2012
Without a doubt this anime was at times frustrating and making me want to tear my hair out, but it always came around and such good characters and emotions. It was an amazing ride with an even better payoff. I think in some ways it's even more enjoyable thanks to its almost vintage feel of being over 30 years old and I enjoyed the maturity that it had at times. It had some flaws, to be sure, but without a doubt an amazing anime that I hope more people would watch and enjoy; I am really glad that I was able to. Without a doubt an anime classic, especially of the Slice of Life and Romance genres. From beginning to end, what a ride. I really do enjoy older anime and also anime that touches on these more adult themes, and has a predominately adult cast. It's refreshing.

The ending itself was amazing. I totally think that we needed 95+96, the show ending on 94 would have ended too soon for my taste. In fact I would have liked it if they had fleshed out things a little bit more. I would have liked to see Koyko and Godai's relationship and how it would continue on. I can imagine though. An amazing ending for an amazing anime.

I will definitely consider reading the manga now.
Feb 12, 2021 1:55 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Beautiful ending. 5/5

As for the anime, I would have given it a 9 for the last 6 episodes, but the pain I endured in watching 90+ episodes before them was too much.

Therefore, 6/10 for the anime.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 7, 2021 3:16 PM

Oct 2008
I absolutely disagree with ending the series at 94. One of the major conceits of the entire series was Kyoko's grief over Soichiro and her difficulty moving on, and Godai's insecurity over Soichiro. With time Kyoko was often thinking more about Godai and less about Soichiro.

I've watched the series three times now and read the manga fully and you really notice how often Kyoko thinks about Soichiro in the first part of the series. Random things in life remind her of him. Making food for people, seeing flowers, etc. She cries out to Soichiro any time she is in a possibly romantic situation with a man, i.e. Godai.

But as the years pass in the story, her thoughts almost never stray to Soichiro unless something happens that is specifically connected to him. She even forgets to speak to him at his grave when she visits with the family, she is so preoccupied with her life.

That scene where Kyoko and Godai are at Soichiro's grave and can finally move forward together is what was needed to finally put a conclusion to the ghost of Soichiro that existed in their minds.

It would also be extremely weird to not have the marriage lmao. Think about it, one of the major plot points in the story was marriage and remarriage. Characters were constantly making competing proposals to each other. Mitaka to Kyoko, Godai to Kyoko, Asuna's family and Mitaka's families to each other, Kozue's senpai to her, Kozue's mistaken assumption of Godai's proposal, Yagami's mother using marriage and a possible future proposal with Godai to entice her to leave Maison Ikkoku.

The misunderstandings, disputes, and drama were caused by proposals or mistaken acceptances of proposals etc. Like how can a series that revolves around marriage, remarriage, widowhood, and proposals not end with the wedding the series has been leading up to?

I absolutely love this series but I have to concede that the dragging out of certain plot points and the repetition of similar types of misunderstandings could really have people tearing their hair out. I basically did the same too at certain points lol.

I never thought of dropping it though because I found that at its heart - at its core - MI does something really special that makes it all worth it. Kyoko, Godai, and Soichiro. The tangled web of complex emotions their situation demands of them and us as readers is something I just can't get enough of.

When it comes to Mitaka and Kyoko, I can see how it's annoying the way Mitaka pushes Kyoko to go along with him while she doesn't really put up a fight. I personally just assumed that that was just a reflection of his ability to be a smooth talker, which he himself points out he has always been excellent at doing. He behaves smoothly and with grace, making it hard for Kyoko to be outwardly rambunctious around him. He slides the conversation in a different direction if it isn't going his way. He tries to move the conversation to different locations on multiple occasions to stop the inevitable rejection. He also manages to wriggle his way a little into Kyoko's heart in the hospital scene when they're left alone in the room.

Kyoko is at fault too as she doesn't have the courage to reject him outright and so runs from the problem.

I think it's interesting how Mitaka and Kyoko as well as Kozue and Godai go out as friends. That's how the series portrays these outings at least. There's even a scene where Mitaka talks about this to Kozue (episode 39 is the most explicit).

I think Maison IKkoku might have also been a victim of popularity too to some extent. That the series had to be artificially lengthened due to the editors. So when things just keep going on, and misunderstandings get recycled, we collectively roll our eyes and shake our heads. But like I said earlier, the core of the story and the series' best chapters and episodes more than make it up for mr.

Now I want to state that my subjective opinion on a show like Maison Ikkoku is just a product of my life, who I am, what media I have consumed etc. You get the gist. Someone else's opinion and take on the show could be the opposite of mine and I consider it just as valid. Even if they hated the show. I mean ending the show at 94 if you think is right is your call and making reasoned arguments for why this should be is also perfectly valid.

After saying all that, this shit exudes such an air of pretentious superiority, I need to switch the fan in my room to the highest setting to get rid of the smell. This line from AironicallyHuman:

"I no longer have any problem with MI being your favourite manga. Compared to myself, you're clearly far too inexperienced to judge what is the best ever manga of all time, but it's certainly a top tenner; even for someone such as myself."

Like your post is so worth reading because you took the time to critically think about the series; notwithstanding whether you're saying stuff I agree or disagree with. I also feel people should read the final few volumes of the manga or the whole thing to get a different feel, better context, and better closure. But why ruin that with such a dumb line. You're showing off about your ability to consume manga on a MAL forum, you must be even more humble in person.

Mar 15, 2021 9:35 PM
Sep 2016
Well, there was a lot of horrible, annoying bullshit on the way to this point: too much misunderstandingcore; the neighbors being loathsome scumbags; Godai being too much of a puss, etc. But the ending was very strong. I am satisfied. When the show wasn't horribly dismaying, it was a nice, comfy watch with great aesthetic and ost.

Overall 7/10. I will look back fondly on this series.
TrevRockOneMar 15, 2021 11:55 PM
Mar 20, 2021 12:08 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
TrevRockOne said:
Well, there was a lot of horrible, annoying bullshit on the way to this point: too much misunderstandingcore; the neighbors being loathsome scumbags; Godai being too much of a puss, etc. But the ending was very strong. I am satisfied. When the show wasn't horribly dismaying, it was a nice, comfy watch with great aesthetic and ost.

Overall 7/10. I will look back fondly on this series.
Yeah, this anime would have been a lot better if it were 4x shorter.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 9, 2021 7:20 PM

May 2019
I never thought in my life that I would want to watch such long stretching show other than Naruto series (I watch it in my childhood time). I decided to watch this show after a recommendation from my friend. And after just around 6 episodes in, I tell myself if this series concludes at high notes, it will land in my faves. This episode gives a perfect end for it and I glad I stick with it till the end. This has to be extremely rewarding and wonderful journey with the series of misunderstandings, hilarious hijinks and especially memorable ,funny and well rounded characters. Have binging for 10 days is really rewarding and I never felt bored or slogged despite the very many episodes and its very slow romance progression. I can't believe that I could sustain the misunderstanding jokes and patient with how it will end. Definitely best romcom period. I'll probably rewatch random episodes or the last few episodes again. I think I will try other series with this kind of lenth in the future.

Jun 6, 2021 12:32 AM

Jan 2018
That was an insanely good ending even though I got spoiled by a lot of things. When I started watching Maison Ikkoku I had just finished watching Urusei Yatsura. I was expecting it to be a completely different journey than that but was pleasantly surprised that MI had more in common with UY than what I expected. Both were written by Rumiko Takahashi after all.
I read that with Maison Ikkoku Rumiko Takahashi sensei wanted to write something that could happen in the real world. You can see that cos there's no supernatural or sci-fi element here compared to her other anime. I think that statement is true btw as I can attest to it. ;) But yeah the drama in it is way too crazy.
The characters being "realistic" isn't false. Godai, Kyoko and even Mitaka actually felt far too real as the story went on. Don't know about the rest of the characters... the tenants though, I have mixed feelings about them. I don't think I've seen any characters in fiction who are as alcoholic as these bunch. Hell I'd say they drink more than Goku eats food in Dragon Ball which is crazy! I know why they exist and at times they did push Godai and Kyoko to hurry up. Without them it's possible this story could've been a lot longer because neither Godai or Kyoko were forward. At the same time, the shit they did also lengthened the story. So I'd rather be agnostic about them.
I am happy this show portrays remarriage in such a beautiful way. I can only imagine restarting your life from scratch after getting widowed can be painful...
I wouldn’t mind giving this show a 10/10. Yes I know it drops the ball around the middle parts but the first 27-37 episodes and the last 30-40 episodes are pure gold.
Do I think other people overrate this anime? Yes, I think many people look back at this show with nostalgia goggles. There's also the strange mindset that "old anime good, new anime bad". That being said I still think Maison Ikkoku is one of the better anime from the 80's. Too bad it’s gonna be a bitch to recommend it to newbies who have little patience :(
Now I wonder what the "Final" movie is. It doesn’t feel very "Final" because the anime already gave us a closure and I heard some bad things about it. I think it’s more like Urusei Yatsura 6 Always My Darling than Urusei Yatsura 5 The Final.
At first I was way too distracted cos of Mitaka and Mendou from UY having the same voice actor and their similar motives but it eventually grew on me.
I'd like to watch Ranma 1/2 next but I think I'll take a long break from Rumiko Takahashi works instead. I think I might watch "Touch" in the meantime as it came around the same time as Maison Ikkoku and is also regarded as one of the best romcoms ever alongside it. So there's your recommendation to watch something after Maison Ikkoku I guess lol.
I normally don't watch romcoms but since this one didn't take place in a bloody highschool I was highly anticipating it (while watching UY). It was refreshing to watch something that's more relevant to what's going on in my life currently in the year 2021. It took me almost 4 weeks to finish it (could've done it faster) and I imagine if I watched it on a week by week basis as if it were airing in the course of around 3 years (as it originally aired) it would've affected my life much more.
Damn am I gonna miss this show. I don't think there's anything else like it.
0451Jun 10, 2021 11:57 AM
Jun 22, 2021 10:25 AM
Sep 2019
i cant stand idiots with terrible taste having the loudest voice in the room

this is the best romance anime by far, period.

(the only thing that bothered me was bad art in a few episodes and a few good manga scenes(chapter 146-151 especially) being missed out, otherwise this was spectacular)

9.7/10

Jun 23, 2021 8:13 PM
Sep 2019
omg the scene where she apologizes to soichiro that she has to return it while crying with his tie
and the scene where she cries when godai says he accepts soichiro
and the blue-pink sky when they leave chachamaru and head back to ikkoku
and the scene where they replay the dialouges from ep 1 !!!!
damn im gonna rewatch it !!!!!!!!!!!
made in 1980s and this anime still has the best scenes !!!!!!!!
Dec 13, 2021 8:56 AM

Aug 2020
I knew at some point that I would reach the end of the story. I really don't want to cry or feel sad as it ended. I will take this moment to feel happy that I continued to watch this show until the end. I love this series and surely will miss all the moments the gang had in Maison Ikkoku. Thank you for this great show! I had fun! 100/10 for the ending and 8/10 overall

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Aug 21, 2022 9:49 AM

Sep 2020
So long, Soichiro...

The long-awaited finale of Maison Ikkoku says farewell in the best way possible. Every single character from the show that we cared about gets as much as one brief moment to say goodbye, and the epilogue brings perfection to the mix, with a final appearance of Mitaka and Asuna, the now married Kozue, and (as I predicted) Yagami becoming a college student.

The wedding is the greatest scene in the episode, but the rest is a pure mix of nostalgia and sweet melancholy for the journey's end. Well deserved, for a show full of parties and romance, this episode brought a fitting celebration for the entirety of it.

So dearly will we remember this Anime

Goodbye, Maison Ikkoku.
Jun 19, 2023 9:37 AM

May 2016
Great show, I was eagerly watching this for past month I liked the early parts more than the laters, but somehow I missed the parts that these forums wrote about I liked it but it didn't really hit me that much. Gonna miss this one for sure. 8/10
Jul 5, 2023 1:12 PM

Jan 2019
What a hmm.., tedious journey that was. Yet somehow still capitaving enough to follow through the end.

From the very beginning till the near end, every drama was based on same simply concept of misunderstanding/miscommunication, support characters appeared and dissapeared or were totally ignored/forgotten whenever that was convenient for the story. I was not big fan of that speedrun any% into happy marriage life after clearing all obstacles.

Overall rather mixing feelings with a positive note.
Jul 28, 2023 4:18 PM

May 2022
10/10 anime, tied with Kimagure Orange Road for best anime in my opinion.

I'm not going to give any insightful review because everything has been said here already by others about this/these last episode(s) or about the whole story, but I agree with pretty much everyone of them. I've read every comment on every episode sub forum and commented on most of them myself, if you have read my comments, thank you.
Maybe I will write a proper review of the show as a whole.

Having watched this now twice, I still get emotinal by the same episodes and scenes as on the first time. 96 episodes is a marathon and you'll forget aspects of it. This is why Maison Ikkoku is so re-watcheable and I will be re-watching it until times end.

じゃあねめぞん一刻
Aug 7, 2023 5:01 AM

Oct 2009
Pozoy said:
This is why Maison Ikkoku is so re-watcheable and I will be re-watching it until times end.
Just popping up to say I'm under the same spell, I will also be re-watching it until times end.
I must be at least at th 7th or 8th rewatch :D

I've only watched KOR once but loved it. Now, reading you, I guess I know what I should tackle again next :D
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

38 by Playcool »»
Today, 5:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

31 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 21, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

24 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

30 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.