Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 26, 3:51 PM

May 2020
I completely forgot that Yagami didn't get invited to any of the celebrations as well as the fact that she hasn't given up on Godai. Her final scene is beautifully tragic.

I think this is the first time I've rewatched the whole show in years without life getting in the way, and I must say that now I'm older I really appreciate the subtle things I relate to in several of the characters. Never have I had an emotional connection with any other anime, and I doubt I ever will. I fully recognise the flaws of the show, and the more I rewatch the more I notice, yet in spite of these flaws I deeply love Maison Ikkoku and it's impossible to describe why.

I sometimes wonder where I'll be at in my life the next time I sit down and rewatch Maison Ikkoku, so assuming I come back to this thread to share my thoughts a few years down the line, hello future me!
Feb 17, 6:45 PM
Jan 2024
I think I would have liked this show a lot better if it was shorter. I think overall it got dragged out way too long and too many misunderstandings that it just failed the plot and became nonsense.

The first 50 episodes I was liking the slice of life episodes and it was giving me this kind of nostalgia old anime vibe. Then episode 50-60 real development started coming through and I’m like ok let’s go.
Then the last 30 episodes or so it was just painful to watch. The carabet arc and Godai’s bad luck after bad luck wasn’t enjoyable at all. It was very frustrating seeing him not stand up for himself and the tentants making his life 100% more miserable. Although, Kyoko was always there for him and cared about him which was nice to see.

But just having it drag out all the way to the last 7 episodes ruined the anime for me. I can’t even say it was overall enjoyable to watch because of the too many frustrating moments. If it was shorter with less over the top drama, misunderstandings, bad plot devices I would be able to recommend this. I don’t think I would recommend watching all the episodes to someone. I’d say just skip filler episodes and watch the last 15 episodes to get the story.

The ending even was underwhelming for me because it’s like all this hardship they went through was nonsense. They just didn’t communicate well, no real development (Godai never stood up for himself) and I really disliked the tenants. I wish they could have moved away from Maison Ikkouko. Those tenants were so mean. Some arcs they came through but remembering how they are always trashing Godais place and never believing in him makes me not forgive them. Then yagami’s character got annoying when she wouldn’t leave the man alone. He clearly didn’t like her and she wanted to force herself upon him. That’s not going to be real love.

It would have been cute seeing a slice of life anime with Kyoko always supporting Godai despite his short comings but everything else ruined it for me. Random thought Kyoko was suppose to look like this beautiful bride but I kept thinking that it didn’t even look like her haha. Some moments were cute and had a romance start with this widow learning to let go of her dead husband and falling in love of again but it fell off for me in the end.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

30 by alexrawk »»
Apr 11, 4:07 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

28 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 5:26 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 5 Discussion

hellogoodbye - May 31, 2011

27 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

19 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 2:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.