Forum Settings
Forums

Voice Actress Popularity Ranking [Updated]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 9, 2009 5:09 PM
Jul 2018
Antanaru said:
tehnominator said:
Have you seen English voice actors? Most look like they crawled out of their parents' basements.

And their looks are still better than voice acting ;]

Now now a lot of the English voice actors are pretty good. Look at Chris Patton, Vic Mignogna, Greg Ayers, Luci Cristian, & Allison Keith. Vic is gorgeous, and so is Chris. So... Yeah!
May 9, 2009 5:16 PM

Oct 2007
Maybe if mamiko noto could do more than one voice and quit voicing young males (ycuk at her Kanokon voice for the lead, like the anime it sucked.) horribly she might be higher on the list.

At least she's on the list... when you people like Kawasumi Ayako not on it and Romi Paku...
May 9, 2009 7:13 PM
Jun 2008
Westlo said:
Maybe if mamiko noto could do more than one voice.

The End.
May 9, 2009 7:44 PM

May 2009
Fuck yeah I'm the shit! Every one else is a aborted goat fetus.
存在するということは、自分を創造することだ
May 9, 2009 8:02 PM

Apr 2008
I guess I should just constantly autorefresh a search for Itou Shizuka...

May 9, 2009 8:25 PM

Jun 2007
I wonder if they'll do a rating for the male voice actors next...

I'm surprised at the results though... I feel like some of the ones rated under 1 should be higher up.

On the other hand, I'm happy to see that somehow Sakura Tange's on the list. =D
May 9, 2009 9:11 PM

Feb 2008
-Hirano-Aya- said:
Fuck yeah I'm the shit! Every one else is a aborted goat fetus.

LOL.
May 9, 2009 10:13 PM

Aug 2007
No Paku Romi or Aya Endo? And Yukana is below 1.0? What manner of bullshit is this?
May 10, 2009 12:10 AM

Oct 2008
Nana-sama scored 2nd place!! (^_^)
May 10, 2009 12:14 AM

Jul 2008
Kikuko Inoue is all the way down at 34th.... fuck this list.
May 10, 2009 12:17 AM
Jun 2007
dtshyk said:
24, 0.85 Hayashibara Megumi

9/10. shit made me RAGE.
May 10, 2009 1:07 AM

Apr 2008
*Falls over @ the typical-ness* Nice for Sakamoto and Kugimiya though

And either I'm very blind or I can't see Romi Pak.
May 10, 2009 1:20 AM

Apr 2008
*checks the rest 0f the list* Oh!

Saiga Mitsuki, for those who wonder, is 61

Oktani Ikue is 133...

I think Satsuki yukino is 91

OH Paku Romi is 104! (a kanji is missing)
May 10, 2009 1:21 AM

Feb 2009
i thought Yukana was really popular O_O
May 10, 2009 2:56 AM

Jul 2008
30, 0.69 Sawashiro Miyuki :)

I'd rather see a list for the men though.

BEGINNER
May 10, 2009 3:42 AM

Oct 2008
Antanaru said:
tehnominator said:
Have you seen English voice actors? Most look like they crawled out of their parents' basements.

You shouldn't make such generalization. While it's true that most English VAs are pretty terrible, there are some amazing voice actors in the industry.

edit: oh and everyone makes sure to go to Aya Hirano's profile and read the comments! I hear she's actually registered on this site and replying to fanboys and girls. She's simply amazing! :DDDDDDDDDDD
May 10, 2009 3:50 AM

Feb 2008
BigSimo said:
Antanaru said:
tehnominator said:

You shouldn't make such generalization. While it's true that most English VAs are pretty terrible, there are some amazing voice actors in the industry.

edit: oh and everyone makes sure to go to Aya Hirano's profile and read the comments! I hear she's actually registered on this site and replying to fanboys and girls. She's simply amazing! :DDDDDDDDDDD

*screams like a fangirl*
May 10, 2009 4:08 AM
Jun 2008
Westlo said:
KayChan4U said:
Why IS Hirano Aya so popular? It doesn't make any sense at all...*sigh*

No it makes a lot of sense, she's voiced some of the most popular characters of recent years and is pushing herself in public a lot more than anyone on the list not named Mizuki Nana. She has a tv show for herself ffs.. this list is based on amount of hits not the quality of the voice actors...

And while Hirano is nowhere near the best I see she gets a lot of blind hate because she's popular and has so many fanboys. I don't give a shit about her popularity and her annoying fanbase, I thought her Haruhi was a tour de force performance before I even knew who did it.

Unless Nana Mizuki would be selected in this year's Kohaku Uta Gassen, she would become No. 1 on the popularity list according to Google Trends. (But moreover, she's still popular now that's she's the Narrator in NHK's Music Japan, which has appeared on her live performance two times on that show)

Also, some seiyuus such as Megumi Hayashibara, Kikuko Inoue and the other vets are ranked lower in the list (which I can't bear to believe it) because the current generation of anime fans don't remember them.
BayonetteMay 10, 2009 4:12 AM
May 10, 2009 4:13 AM

Oct 2007
WTF! This list is completely dominated by female VAs. Where's my Tomokazu Seki, Tomokazu Sugita and Norio Wakamoto (>_<)?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2009 4:22 AM

Feb 2008
Master_M2K said:
WTF! This list is completely dominated by female VAs. Where's my Tomokazu Seki, Tomokazu Sugita and Norio Wakamoto (>_<)?

dtshyk said:
A Negima fan blogger surveyed the popularity of Japanese voice actresses
May 10, 2009 5:12 AM
Jun 2008
BigSimo said:
Antanaru said:
tehnominator said:

Indeed. Laura Bailey for example is one of the best voice actresses I've heard for English. And though everyone hates on Crispin Freeman, you have to admit, you can remember the damn guy's voice. And I love Johnny Yong Bosch's boyish energies that he puts into his work.

Not everyone likes the Japanese audio, actually. I've met people before who like it in English.
May 10, 2009 5:34 AM

Feb 2008
tehnominator said:
And though everyone hates on Crispin Freeman, you have to admit, you can remember the damn guy's voice.
True, his Kyon was memorable. I cannot for the life of me remember Wendee Lee's Haruhi though or her Konata. (Related to a recent discussion in the anime discussion forum)

tehnominator said:
Not everyone likes the Japanese audio, actually. I've met people before who like it in English.
Did they say why? Less squeaky voices or something?
May 10, 2009 7:01 AM

Jun 2008
tehnominator said:
And though everyone hates on Crispin Freeman, you have to admit, you can remember the damn guy's voice.

lots of people remember the holocaust too....
May 10, 2009 7:26 AM

Oct 2008
tehnominator said:
BigSimo said:
Antanaru said:
tehnominator said:

Indeed. Laura Bailey for example is one of the best voice actresses I've heard for English. And though everyone hates on Crispin Freeman, you have to admit, you can remember the damn guy's voice. And I love Johnny Yong Bosch's boyish energies that he puts into his work.

Definitely agree with you there, I loved Laura Bailey in FMA and Blue Gender. And the big Yong Bosch gets all the popular lead male roles, so he's definitely got some appeal. Plus he was the original black power ranger of course.
Although I must have missed something, because from what I could tell everyone seemed to love Crispin Freeman, at least judging by the topics I've read through.
You've gotta give him credit alone for being able to play the role of Alucard...alongside Kyon. Talk about contrast.

ANYWAY, this topic isn't about English voice actors. NO! It's about Aya Hirano, and all the less important female VAs...right?
Oh Aya, I want to go shopping with you so bad.
May 10, 2009 7:36 AM

Feb 2008
Where the hell is Paku Romi?
May 10, 2009 7:40 AM

Apr 2008
Dunno how you guys could talk about english dubs like that when you grew up w/them. I happen to LIKE the english VAs.

Anyways, rave here is Hirano and VAs.

Like someone mentioned before, it should be that the material is being googled. If Hirano is an esteemed singer, then did voice artist work, pretty much out there. I mean look at Nana and Sakamoto. But I like Sakamoto better. Kugumiya (and not Pak...?), although I like her and i think she puts spirit in her roles, seems to be every freakin where somehow. Dunno how to explain Yukari.

It's tough for me to actually like the lady VAs. It happens that some of my TOPS are in the list, low or not, with the exception of one...and it breaks my heart.
May 10, 2009 11:54 AM

Apr 2009
not surprised, that Hirano Aya managed to be the top, though she's not that talented, in my opinion at least. Surely she's cute and she sometimes did good job like the role as Haruhi, but that's all i can say about her. There are much more talented voice actresses like Megumi Hayashibara, Megumi Ogata and Maaya Sakamoto.
May 10, 2009 12:24 PM

Jan 2008
Ugh, Aya Hirano. *sigh*

At least Nana is second. And Yukarin 3rd. <3

May 10, 2009 1:24 PM

Mar 2008
dtshyk said:
A Negima fan blogger

Negima :D (sorry i'm obsessed)

dtshyk said:

*2, 5.70 Mizuki Nana Mizuki <333
*3, 2.32 Tamura Yukari
*6, 1.94 Nakajima Megumi
17, 1.04 Sato Rina

And why all of the sadness over Hirano-san? D:

May 10, 2009 9:04 PM

May 2007
Zeinzu-sama said:
tehnominator said:

lots of people remember the holocaust too....

Can you really with a straight face tell me the Japanese Alucard is better.

Serously why the Crispin hate, he is one of the best in the biz, oh wait he's American, he has to be hated here.
My anime list
May 11, 2009 3:50 AM
Jun 2008
kuroshiroi said:
tehnominator said:
True, his Kyon was memorable. I cannot for the life of me remember Wendee Lee's Haruhi though or her Konata. (Related to a recent discussion in the anime discussion forum)

tehnominator said:
Did they say why? Less squeaky voices or something?

Well, a lot of people aren't Japanophiles or "weeaboos" or whatever (somehow I think I will get stoned for this...), and many of them actually don't care for the Japanese language. So that's one reason I heard--they don't want to hear the Japanese audio.

Other people say that they think the English dub voices are better. Putting it into context, perhaps it's understandable why they would prefer it. Take some comedies--getting the joke sometimes is better when you hear it (in English) as opposed to reading it (in Japanese, assuming you don't speak or understand the language).

Most of the cases I've encountered however say that they don't want to read subtitles.

I prefer listening to the original Japanese, because they tend to get the emotions down correctly, contextually they understand a situation better, and their timing is most accurate.
May 11, 2009 4:04 AM

Jul 2007
Obligatory "Aya Hirano isn't that good" comment.

Wai wai Yukarin! *waves Yukarin Love banner* <3 <3 <3

Holy shit @ Megumi and Haruna. Very unique and well-cast voices but WOW...

Kugi, Hocchan and Marina round at the Top 10 nicely.

Yuu Kobayashi is overrated. Mamiko should be higher.

YAY KANA-CHAN! Let Yuno be only the beginning of your seiyuu conquest!

God bless whatever masses are giving Kaoru Mizuhara the love she so rightfully deserves. Please keep blowing us all away, Mizuhara-san.

Eternally 17 Kiku is still in the game, of course <3

Mai Nakahara is criminally low.

Good god, does Sakura Tange even make appearances anymore?! Fear the power of CCS.

Ganbatte, Houko-san T_T

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR!!! WHO'S NOT SHOWING KAORI LOVE?!?! NAMES! I DEMAND NAMES!!!!

But that's not the worst, oh no....

WHERE IN THE NAME OF MIYAZAKI IS AYAKO KAWASUMI?!?!?!!?

THIS INJUSTICE MUST BE RIGHTED IMMEDIATELY!
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
May 11, 2009 5:19 AM

Feb 2008
Splitter said:
58th place. She hasn't done any major roles that I know of, Nodame is not exactly Gundam, Macross, or Haruhi.
May 11, 2009 9:14 AM

Apr 2008
I don't have any objection because my most favorite is Aya Hirano not only because of the voice acting. I like her songs.

I don't like Haruhi (the character) that much but God Knows rocks. I also like her Konata voice which suits the character perfectly...same with Haruhi. When her voice changes so do the character..she's a very flexible one.

I don't get why some people objects the most popular (here in MAL) VA ...I guess that's only natural when one is famous. The more popular the more haters.

May 11, 2009 11:06 AM

Apr 2008
Sylpheed said:
I don't have any objection because my most favorite is Aya Hirano not only because of the voice acting. I like her songs.

I don't like Haruhi (the character) that much but God Knows rocks. I also like her Konata voice which suits the character perfectly...same with Haruhi. When her voice changes so do the character..she's a very flexible one.

I don't get why some people objects the most popular (here in MAL) VA ...I guess that's only natural when one is famous. The more popular the more haters.

Mainly because she only had 2 good songs and 2 good roles imo...
If singing, Mizuki Nana and Chihara Minori is way up there. Most of Aya's hype comes from LS and Haruhi imo...
May 11, 2009 11:51 AM
Jun 2008
infinite_zero said:
Most of Aya's hype comes from LS and Haruhi imo...

This is especially true, since she gets all these supporting roles in anime, or as I'd like to say, the "reject" roles.

That chick from Hyakko? The pantsu angel thing from Queen's Blade? The singer who barely even sings from White Album?

Not exactly her most memorable roles, I would say (except for Queen's Blade, since after watching that, it's hard to forget anything).
May 11, 2009 4:12 PM

Jun 2008
dtshyk said:
*1, 6.20 Hirano Aya
No, just no.
dtshyk said:
*3, 2.32 Tamura Yukari
I'm glad she's so high in the ranking. Ni-pah~
dtshyk said:
*5, 2.12 Sakamoto Maaya
Just as planned.
dtshyk said:
10, 1.48 Inoue Marina
11, 1.44 Kobayashi Yuu
Hell yeah. They deserve to be higher, though.
dtshyk said:
37, 0.64 Nakahara Mai
WTF? 37? :-|

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
May 11, 2009 5:06 PM

Jul 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Splitter said:
58th place. She hasn't done any major roles that I know of, Nodame is not exactly Gundam, Macross, or Haruhi.

Nodame, Saber, Ohno, Matsuri, Chikane, Mahoro, Yoshid- OH NAO I GET IT.
May 11, 2009 5:57 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:
kuroshiroi said:
Splitter said:

Nodame, Saber, Ohno, Matsuri, Chikane, Mahoro, Yoshid- OH NAO I GET IT.

*sighs* Such an amazing seiyuu and yet the love? Where is it? Even the Black Eyed Peas lament.
May 11, 2009 6:01 PM

Jan 2008
Splitter said:
Good god, does Sakura Tange even make appearances anymore?! Fear the power of CCS.

Wow...I didn't even notice her in the list! She's sooo ninja...
Hirano Aya should stop being so popular >____<

Banner made by suikka
May 11, 2009 6:28 PM

May 2008
<3 tomatsu haruka <3 shes so young
May 11, 2009 6:55 PM

Apr 2007
Hirano Aya #1 with Inoue Marina way down at #10.
What a sad, sad world we live in.

Ueda Kana not even in the top 20
this is too much for me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2009 7:28 PM

Jul 2007
panda_general said:
Splitter said:

Wow...I didn't even notice her in the list! She's sooo ninja...
Hirano Aya should stop being so popular >____<

The thing with Aya Hirano is... she's got the talent. Haruhi and Konata proved that. The problem is she wastes it by phoning in everything else. I like her in a lot of stuff she's in, but in very few of her performances do I ever feel like she's trying. It's more like she rests on her laurels and just goes through the motions rather than ever give an honest effort.
May 11, 2009 7:42 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:

The thing with Aya Hirano is... she's got the talent. Haruhi and Konata proved that. The problem is she wastes it by phoning in everything else. I like her in a lot of stuff she's in, but in very few of her performances do I ever feel like she's trying. It's more like she rests on her laurels and just goes through the motions rather than ever give an honest effort.

I think more than that, she's getting typecast as all these "moe" characters. I still say annoying angel thing from Queen's Blade so wasn't the role she would have gone for. Then again, I doubt any seiyuu from that anime actively chose a role. Maybe they all chose lots and then grimaced about who had the most dialogue in the end.
May 11, 2009 8:17 PM

Jul 2007
tehnominator said:

I think more than that, she's getting typecast as all these "moe" characters. I still say annoying angel thing from Queen's Blade so wasn't the role she would have gone for. Then again, I doubt any seiyuu from that anime actively chose a role. Maybe they all chose lots and then grimaced about who had the most dialogue in the end.

Looking at her resume post-Lucky Star, I'm inclined to understand where you are coming from. Very few notable roles and all subscribe solely to existing as generic eye candy. Of course, it may be that the truth is a fusion of our two opinions, or maybe its neither. Who knows, but there's definite evidence for both, I believe.

As for whether seiyuu actively choose a role, one honestly can't say. There's definitely the Rie Kugimiya factor in which it's clear if you have a loli tsundere, she's pretty much a lock for the role. But despite that, what really matters is the effort they put forth in their roles. The best seiyuu for me is always the one that I can tell they are working in their performance. That's why seiyuu like Ayako Kawasumi and Mai Nakahara are so awesome for me.
May 11, 2009 8:32 PM
Jun 2008
Splitter said:
The best seiyuu for me is always the one that I can tell they are working in their performance.

Most definitely. I also think a seiyuu who sounds like she enjoys her work rather than "Oh, this will pay for a new kotatsu." is really commendable.

Nakahara Mai does seiyuu overtime work, if you ask me. I think her Nagisa from Clannad was her best role, honestly. Did you hear her control over her voice?! Each word caught perfectly, keeping in total character at all times. The way Nagisa would weigh her words out, Nakahara kept that tempo up for the entire anime. Amazing. Utterly amazing. Though I know people who also dislike her for voicing "cutesy" characters as well.

Kawasumi has amazing range, honestly. Though Orikasa Fumiko has it for me with her comedy stylings. I don't think I've ever heard a seiyuu have so much fun with her roles. Comic timing is just as important as any other trick a seiyuu can pull off.
May 11, 2009 8:47 PM

Mar 2005

gg MAL
May 12, 2009 1:32 AM

Apr 2008
zeff said:
No Romi-san?

shakeyourpup45 said:
*checks the rest 0f the list* Oh!

Saiga Mitsuki, for those who wonder, is 61

Oktani Ikue is 133...

I think Satsuki yukino is 91

OH Paku Romi is 104! (a kanji is missing)

And didn't Sakura Tange retire..or something?
May 12, 2009 2:03 AM

Apr 2008
Kawasumi Ayako was Lafiel from Crest iirc ;_;

Yeah, she did a lot too, but the top ones are like the "seiyuu idol" type of people.
May 12, 2009 2:05 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
RenaPsychoKiller said:
dtshyk said:
37, 0.64 Nakahara Mai
WTF? 37? :-|
Oh shit, I didn't even notice. This is not right. =/

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

30 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.