Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 25, 2014 5:50 AM

Aug 2014
I have so many theories about what happened in this episode. Its great when a show does something different like this and doesn't use much dialogue because instead of being spoon fed information I have to actually think about whats going on and it gives me an opportunity to make interesting theories in my head as I watch the show. Also its one of those anime where people will have multiple interpretations of what happened which can be discussed among anime viewers.

MY THEORIES:
I just tried to make sense of what I was seeing as I watched so here are my random thoughts on the various events in the first episode. Be warned I know very little about this show except for the fact that it has something to do with mafia.

- In the first scene I thought the main character was in a fighting facility where people pay to see fights to the death and they bet on the fighters. I think either the main character has to earn his way into the mafia by winning lots of fights, or its his job as being part of that mafia to be a fighter to make them money off of bets, or he did something that pissed off the mafia guys so he is forced to do this to earn his freedom or earn his way back into the mafia. It seems like the fighting facility is underground because he was walking in some underground place shortly after a fight due to the blood on his hands. The place where he was washing his hands reminded me of the sewers from Jak 2 if any of you played that game.

- the next part I have several theories about as well. When the girl came up to him she wanted to fuck him or it was because since he won the fight he got to fuck some whore that the mafia owns. Or maybe she is married/dating one of the other mafia guys potentially a higher up, and she was having an affair with him. When they were having sex she tried to stick her robotic hand into his eye. The way she did it it seemed like she was a robot or just a cyborg because her arm looked mechanical but the rest of her body looked normal. Maybe the MC is a cyborg or robot too because maybe data or something could be collected through his eye. When the girl did that it must have been some kind of threat to him so he threw her off.

- I didn't really understand what was going with that other guy with the gas mask. The gas mask indicates that they are in a really shitty city or potentially a post-apocalyptic world. Suddenly a girl came up to him and told him to meet her somewhere and he went there. It seemed like she had supernatural powers or something and maybe that's why the mafia came to attack them. Either they want her powers or they see her as a threat to them. Then the guy fought all the mafia off.

- The final scene where the MC got cut seemed like it was because of the woman. Either she was with one of the guys and she told him about what happened between them or coerced them into killing him. Either that or he just fucked up and the mafia punished him. Also, it could be a scene from his past before the events of this episode.

Overall I'm liking the show and I'm looking forward to more interesting episodes. BTW I like the opening and ending as well.
Jan 14, 2015 3:46 AM

Feb 2013
Very interesting directing style and great animation. To start the series in this way is very bold as they push the 'show and don't tell' policy to an artistic level. It did go to an extent that I didn't fully comprehend everything, but there is definitely enough there to get a basic framework and it's still only the first episode. I have a feeling I'm going to love this anime.
Jan 16, 2015 10:33 AM

Nov 2013
That was a lot of heavy breathing. Lovely opening. It's probably 2deep4me, just like Lain, but let's hope for the best.
Jan 16, 2015 4:53 PM

Jun 2009
what the fuck did i just watch
Jan 29, 2015 10:08 AM

Mar 2014
It was strange and I liked it.
Feb 3, 2015 9:12 AM

Dec 2011
I still don't know what to say about it.
It will be a very subjective anime, definitely.
Feb 7, 2015 3:02 PM
Jul 2014
Wow. Cool!!!
Feb 10, 2015 1:08 AM

Sep 2013
Makes some sense...
Then no sense...
Then more sense by the end.
Mar 18, 2015 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
Firstly, echoing what others have said... what the hell did I just watch?

Secondly, I actually want to watch more, but for right now I need something with a faster pace and more dialogue to it. I will definitely continue watching this later.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Mar 31, 2015 6:51 AM
Feb 2012
HOLY SHIT.....
May 2, 2015 8:35 PM

Feb 2012
What the fuck...one the most strange episode 1s I've seen. Pretty confused on whats going on. 0 talking in the first 11 minutes was pretty weird. (Plenty of heavy breathing tho)
The ending of the episode was brutal with his arm getting cut off.
May 20, 2015 11:24 AM

Jan 2015
LiquidGold said:
What the fuck...one the most strange episode 1s I've seen. Pretty confused on whats going on. 0 talking in the first 11 minutes was pretty weird. (Plenty of heavy breathing tho)
The ending of the episode was brutal with his arm getting cut off.

heavy breathing right???? awesome episode. loved how little dialogue there was. background music was on point as well.
May 29, 2015 5:56 AM

Jan 2014
Well that was interesting...
Jun 5, 2015 1:05 AM

Apr 2013
I wasn't bored at all. Interesting first episode.
Jun 6, 2015 5:03 PM

Jan 2011
i am sorry what? ill keep watching
Jun 8, 2015 1:56 AM
Nov 2014
Interesting start I guess, damn poor guy got his hand chopped off at the end.
Jul 3, 2015 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
Beatnik said:
I'm going by dodgy memory but at the time this was released I remember reading that the creator of the show said the first episode was intentonally done this way to scare off casual viewers.

I didn't particularly like this ep, but I will continue on. Guess I'm not a casual viewer lol

kurodayuchi said:
I enjoy the comparison between Ichise getting his arm chop off and a lizard, at the end of the episode (the capacity of creation of new limbs).

That's really neat, actually. Didn't notice that O.O (I noticed the lizard but I suck at piecing together these kinds of things haha)
Jul 6, 2015 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
Best thing I've seen in a long time. Definitely looking forward to continuing this show.
Aug 6, 2015 11:22 AM

Mar 2014
Geez, it's gonna be one of these kind of shows, huh?

I liked parts of this episode, such as the character design, and the animation and the visual direction. Hell, I even like how most of it was completely silent, as it set a nice tone.

However, this episode actually didn't convey much of anything to the viewer. It just ended up trying to force symbolic imagery down your throat, and (as is the case with most of these series) it came off as super pretentious to me.
These kind of series just seem to be made for people to over-analyze despite not actually saying much of anything.

Ugh, I'll keep going with it for now to see if it gets any better, but I'll probably end up feeling the same way about this as I did with Serial Experiments Lain.
That is to say: I'll likely end up thinking it's well made, but also super pretentious and a giant waste of the animation team's talent.
I suppose we'll see what happens, though. This is simply a poor first impression.
::End of Transmission::

Sep 25, 2015 6:54 PM

May 2014
wtf is this
"A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death" -Lelouch Vi Brittania
Sep 27, 2015 9:16 PM

Aug 2015
The worst first episode of any anime season I've ever watched..

To all the new viewers.. just skip episode 1. It will whisper "Drop this series, drop it now" in your ear for 24 minutes. Skip this episode. You'll only miss 3 lines of dialogue, some grunting, and some heavy breathing. Even if you start from the much better episode 2, by just reading the MAL description of this anime you will not have missed any plot what so ever.
Sep 29, 2015 1:30 PM

Dec 2013
still makes more sense than Anita Sarkeesian
Sep 29, 2015 1:59 PM

Aug 2014
semianonymous said:

To all the new viewers.. just skip episode 1. It will whisper "Drop this series, drop it now" in your ear for 24 minutes. Skip this episode. You'll only miss 3 lines of dialogue, some grunting, and some heavy breathing. Even if you start from the much better episode 2, by just reading the MAL description of this anime you will not have missed any plot what so ever.

What? I loved the first episode. Really interesting visual and sound creating a great atmosphere.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 3, 2015 1:53 AM

Aug 2015
black1blade said:
semianonymous said:

What? I loved the first episode. Really interesting visual and sound creating a great atmosphere.

Great atmosphere is no doubt important..but for some reason this series purposely takes it to the extreme... for whatever reason it reminds me of a middle school girl putting on makeup for the first time...

the result.. way too much makeup... translation.. way too much "atmosphere".. strike a balance unless you want to look like a clown with face paint.

Let's be honest... all you need to know to understand EVERYTHING after this episode is

prize fighter punches manager for nearly gouging his eyes out... manager is angry.. manager wants to hurt prize fighter... proceed to episode 2.
semianonymousOct 3, 2015 1:57 AM
Oct 11, 2015 4:48 AM
Oct 2015
I got totally sucked into the dark and gritty world and loved the visual story telling. Sure, there are some things you don't understand yet, but I am sure it will be "explained" later.

What I like is the little exposition. It is telling the story by showing you what is going on instead of explaining it.
Nov 3, 2015 11:13 AM

Aug 2013
Wow! That art! I don't like Madhouse at all (their anime and how it looks) but here... Just wow, great work!! Backgrounds!! I prefer moe characters design, but I can't say anything bad about it. Amazing work, best looking thing which I've ever seen form Madhouse.
Story? Nothing has any sense, but it was probably done in this way specially.

And that OP! Juno Reactor!!!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 5, 2015 8:57 PM

Nov 2014
Veronin said:
What did I just watch.

Nov 10, 2015 11:59 AM

Oct 2013
- Everyone praises Texhnolyze
- Every fifth person has it in their TOP 1 spot in favorites
- Hmm, gonna watch the 1st ep
- AMAZING, best first episode I've seen in a while, so intriguing so mysterious, it went past in like 2minutes, totally got sucked into it
- Please every episode be like that :-}
- 1st ep - 10/10
Nov 11, 2015 4:21 AM

Oct 2015
I absolutely loved it. The beautiful animation and dark, creepy atmosphere totally sucked me in. Can't say I understood a lot of what was happening but that's what makes it so intriguing.
Nov 26, 2015 8:42 PM

Feb 2013
i got what was going on with the "street fighter" guy.

have no clue though on the girl and the worker.

Ok episode, can understand the complaints with the fact that not much explaining is done through speaking, but, if you read into the animation you can grasp the situation a bit better.
Argue? Nah Too lazy For That...
Are You Ready!~Gulcasa
Dec 6, 2015 9:46 AM

Jan 2013
Beatnik said:
I'm going by dodgy memory but at the time this was released I remember reading that the creator of the show said the first episode was intentonally done this way to scare off casual viewers.

That would make sense, I have no clue wtf is going on.
Jan 31, 2016 5:29 PM

Jun 2013
What I love about discussions revolving mindfuck series such as Texhnolyze is that there are those who claim to know how the series should be exclusively interpreted (that kind of my way or the highway-esque mentality) and those who wear their first impressions on their sleeves and admit defeat by saying they were confused and disliked it.

I enjoyed the first episode and I won't talk about the animation or anything like that. I liked the sequencing and imagery. If it's true that the first episode is supposed to scare off the casual viewer then I can say the same for other genres that fail to capture my interest.
臭い-
Mar 19, 2016 1:34 PM

Aug 2014
Not much talking, thats good because i can focus on whats happening instead of reading lol.
A really different anime.
Great Episode.
Apr 26, 2016 8:34 AM

Jul 2015
Well that was great, extremely weird but great
Jun 19, 2016 3:28 PM

Feb 2016
So, I have a question - Am I supposed to understand this first episode? Because I sure didn't. At all. I mean, the way they did the sound effects and everything was really awesome, but I have no clue what happened.

semianonymous said:
prize fighter punches manager for nearly gouging his eyes out... manager is angry.. manager wants to hurt prize fighter... proceed to episode 2.

I honestly didn't even get that. I know that he's a prize fighter from the description of the anime, but I sure as hell didn't get that that women was his manager. And the whole sex-and-then-taking-out-eyes-and-suddenly-everythings-weird scene. Also, the description said that he lost an arm and an leg for his manager? Geez, nevermind, I just didn't get jackshit. I'll still continue watching this though, since it seems quite interesting.

kurodayuchi said:
I enjoy the comparison between Ichise getting his arm chop off and a lizard, at the end of the episode (the capacity of creation of new limbs).

Literature class all over again, huh xD?
Call-Me-CaptainJun 20, 2016 7:08 AM
Jul 25, 2016 11:50 PM

Apr 2012
Kinda Aeon Flux vibe, stuff's just presented to you that doesn't necessarily make any sense.
Aug 26, 2016 1:20 PM

May 2010
Oh I'm liking the ED song. Tbh when it comes to atmosphere-centric shows like these, having a good ED or OP song is really helpful. It helped me snooze through the more boring parts of Ergo Proxy and Lain.
Sep 26, 2016 4:29 PM

Feb 2016
What I got from this episode is that the woman who got punched in her face by the MC took revenge on him by having his arm cut off. Im not sure but I think they cut off his arm which he used for that punch in her face. Everything else remains mysterious though.
Oct 16, 2016 4:52 AM

Feb 2015
Meh, this anime literally pissed me off. Worst episode of anything ive seen. I dont have time for anime like these.
Feb 5, 2017 12:17 PM
Nov 2016
Without any BS narrator exposition, this ep told us a good deal number of things:

1) The setting is some sort of steam-punk, torn, 20th century looking place with factories, maybe akin to Industrial Revolution America, possibly ruled by crime.
2) The MC is a boxer. His boss seems to want him mainly for his body. MC doesn't like his boss.
3) The woman who was having sex with him (possibly his boss), is probably not human.
4 (pretty obvious)) the MC is on the run from a crime syndicate.
Jun 9, 2017 5:03 AM
Jul 2014
Lots of heavy breathing
Jun 25, 2017 5:18 AM

Nov 2016
Not much dialogue, it was a interesting episode nonetheless, still kinda confusing and a little bit boring on the other hand. But I guess that's normal at this point, since almost nothing was explained.

The only thing I got was that the guy was prostituting himself and he hit the client when she was about the sting his eyes with her nails. As revenge she told her subordinates to slash off his arm.( those guys could also be just hired).

A big plus is definitely the heavy atmosphere which was really intriguing. This kind of show is usually not my cup of tea, but I'm gonna keep watching for the aspects I liked about this episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 21, 2017 7:40 PM

Jun 2016
So that appeared to be two or three stories told in a very confusing show don't tell way. Best way to get my thoughts together would be to separate them into themselves so... here we go. Since I wrote an essay I'll put it in a spoiler tag.

I think I have enough of an idea that's going on, despite a ton being wrong, that the show will at least make some sense now that I got my thoughts together.

ps I'll edit this later for any disgusting mistakes.

Sep 22, 2017 2:36 PM

Jan 2017
Loved the tension, the atmosphere, the anguish and anxiety.

I'm in.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Sep 26, 2017 12:20 AM

Apr 2009
sucks that this isn't based on a manga series. need to watch this soon
Oct 30, 2017 1:08 PM

May 2016
I don't know if I will regret this.
Nov 8, 2017 2:36 PM

Feb 2016
Alright, this is my first rewatch and I'm very excited to solve more puzzles of the storyline this time. The atmosphere was as great as the first time when I was watching this episode.
Jan 13, 2018 1:46 PM

Mar 2012
Well that was...different. It was intriguing enough to keep my interest on what will happen next and it seems the first episode was done with little dialogue intentionally so we'll see how it goes in the upcoming ones.

Also, really dug the OP song.
Mar 17, 2018 7:08 PM

Apr 2017
What the f*ck did I just watch? Oh Japan, here you go again...
Aug 13, 2018 11:20 AM

May 2015
Perfect! Watching this episode was like discovering a spirit animal.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tounoyaboys - Jul 1, 2008

323 by AMfromtheWORLD »»
Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zepwich - Dec 9, 2009

63 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.