Forum Settings
Forums

Warner Acquires Live Action Film Rights of Death Note

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2009 3:28 PM

Apr 2009
hellomotto73 said:
I really can't seem to understand why people hate this so much. I think Death Note seems to be one of the best anime's suited be adapted.

Yes but the problem is they always screw it up, they make it too hollywood like or too different.

At IMDB.com there is information leaked about the plot, they say its the real script. i read it and it sucks, not even Ryuk in the movie, and light will be named Luke, and he will not have ambitions the become a new god of a world without criminality, instead hes not like Light at all and the story seemed alot changed, you can read it at www.imdb.com then search for death note, and then scroll down to Board's.

not sure if its true, but i read the whole thing and it was SO hollywood like to screw it up like that, i think i believe it
Oct 6, 2009 5:50 PM

Jul 2009
Warner Bros. still is still a very good company, and, after all, they did make an "adaptation" to Batman (The Dark Knight), which I actually kinda liked. (Though the Dark Knight and Death Note are quite different in many aspects.) Still, I don't mind if they changed Death Note around a bit, and even if the did make it a bit "Hollywood"-like (I'm guessing you mean more action), then it wouldn't harm it too much. I think we should just wait and see.

Garuda said:

At IMDB.com there is information leaked about the plot, they say its the real script. i read it and it sucks, not even Ryuk in the movie, and light will be named Luke, and he will not have ambitions the become a new god of a world without criminality, instead hes not like Light at all and the story seemed alot changed, you can read it at http://www.imdb.com then search for death note, and then scroll down to Board's.

I actually went onto IMDb and searched death note, but I don't see anything on the message boards. Nor do I see anything about a script when I clicked onto it. If you so please, post a direct link that gets me there.
Oct 8, 2009 11:38 AM

Mar 2008
Animefan1929 said:
Why are you people judging the film when the trailer hasn't even come out?

Because the script FUCKING SUUUUUCKS!!!!!!

But hey, don't believe me, have a look for youreself: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3ptlxl
Oct 8, 2009 11:52 AM

Sep 2009
uh - oh
Oct 8, 2009 2:16 PM
Feb 2009
why oh why!!.....don't they know??

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Oct 8, 2009 6:12 PM

Jul 2009
Dozer said:

Because the script FUCKING SUUUUUCKS!!!!!!

But hey, don't believe me, have a look for youreself: [url=http://www.sendspace.com/file/3ptlxl ]http://www.sendspace.com/file/3ptlxl

I downloaded it, and really, it's not that bad. Even the removal of Ryuk didn't bother me that much, though it does take some of the fun out of the overall experience.
That being said, the ending isn't as glorious or heart-pounding as the original.
I'd recommend you go to this site: http://www.animevice.com/news/rumor-alert-death-note-movie-script-leaked/2653/ I agree with this guy on most of his points, and his part about the three possibilities reinforces my beliefs that we really can't judge what's going on until the official trailer comes out, and we won't know until we actually see the movie.
Oct 8, 2009 8:51 PM
May 2009
Oh damn, did Obata agreed to that crap? I wonder if he is worried or uninformed to WB changes?
It's like tearing his masterpiece a lot. Luke and A? WTH?
Oct 15, 2009 10:18 AM

Oct 2009
There's one thing I'm afraid of...If some known actor plays in the movie...All of his fangirls start to 'like' Death Note...Same thing happened to Twilight -_- People only like it because of the actors....I'll cry if I see some Zac Efron fangirl screaming I LOVE DEATH NOTE....>.< Death Note doesn't deserve that. It needs REAL fans. I also hate the way Americans always make remakes of everything.. I know that Japanese movies weren't that great but come on! Do any of you know when the actual release of the movie is? I heard 2010 , 2011 , 2012 or something like ' it's just a rumor' . Thanks for the reply.
Oct 15, 2009 4:11 PM

Apr 2008
Best possible outcome is that it increases interest in the anime.

Although I can easily see it being just terrible.
Oct 18, 2009 4:08 AM

Oct 2009
waterfall said:
Best possible outcome is that it increases interest in the anime.

Although I can easily see it being just terrible.

I agree 100% with you...Hopefully DN will gain some REAL fans.
Oct 18, 2009 8:48 AM

Aug 2008
Oct 18, 2009 11:15 AM
Aug 2009
When I first heard about this movie I thought it'd be bad. But its possible it could do well. btw scripts do change so hopefully some things improve.
Oct 18, 2009 11:36 AM

Oct 2009
LSarutobi said:
When I first heard about this movie I thought it'd be bad. But its possible it could do well. btw scripts do change so hopefully some things improve.

they would need to change that script a LOT for it to be worthwhile
Oct 19, 2009 10:36 AM

Jan 2008
Garuda said:
not even Ryuk in the movie, and light will be named Luke, and he will not have ambitions the become a new god of a world without criminality, instead hes not like Light at all and the story seemed alot changed,

Ugh, I just felt my face distort into a grimace.

Luke...? Seriously? And no Ryuk....I'll probably cry when they release a trailer. I'm not the type to be automatically biased against Hollywood remakes, but from the sounds of it this is going to be absolutely butchered.

-_-
Oct 19, 2009 10:38 AM

Oct 2009
There's already a perfectly good Death Note movie with Japanese actors that I love.
Oct 19, 2009 12:54 PM

Jul 2007
MissMagic said:
There's already a perfectly good Death Note movie with Japanese actors that I love.

Define "good" lol...

A serious adaptation from WB would rule.

I can understand why they would take out such ridiculous concepts like Ryuk(considering he would NOT transition into live action, as proved by horrible JP DN live action movies)

And Light being named luke makes sense considering I don't know anhyone who would be named "Light"

Overall I am surprised at how well the script follows the manga and am awaiting the trailers and cast.

Indeed it will be the cast that will make or break this movie.
Oct 19, 2009 1:11 PM

Dec 2008
omg... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
::: (\(\
*: (=' :') :*
•.. (,('')('')¤°﹒‧°‧° ☆.(¯`•.•´¯)
.°☆ ‧°‧°☆∴° ☆ ¤º… `•.¸.•´ ☆™
Oct 19, 2009 1:13 PM

Aug 2007
why Like? D: This is no Star Wars.

but i'm still waiting for Zac Efron to get the role of Kira. He cal kill all the other Disney Channel stars for me. :>
Oct 19, 2009 2:41 PM

Jul 2007
Maora said:

Name on other English name which would sound similar to Raito/Light?
Oct 19, 2009 5:55 PM

Jul 2009
MistressMorbid said:

Luke...? Seriously? And no Ryuk....I'll probably cry when they release a trailer. I'm not the type to be automatically biased against Hollywood remakes, but from the sounds of it this is going to be absolutely butchered.

-_-

You probably already know this, but the script is most likely either fake or in its primitive stages, with the former being most likely. Just sayin'.
Oct 19, 2009 6:54 PM

Aug 2007
Fai said:
Maora said:

Name on other English name which would sound similar to Raito/Light?
but name adaptions don't have to be similar to the japanese name. tell that to DiC.
MaoraOct 20, 2009 7:34 PM
Oct 19, 2009 7:04 PM

Mar 2008
WWWRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!?!?

No, honestly, do they like milk so much?
Oct 19, 2009 7:29 PM

Jan 2008
Oh, it's just death note. Thought I missed something.
Oct 20, 2009 9:52 AM

Oct 2009
At least there won't be Misa ^^ That's a good thing , right? Hopefully ''Luke's'' girlfriend Sophia won't be there to replace her...We need some serious and strong female character in the movie.
Oct 20, 2009 10:57 AM

Feb 2009
Kuyukly said:
Animefan1929 said:
Why are you people judging the film when the trailer hasn't even come out?

The reason is simple.

It's not being made in Japan, so these japanophile pricks all think it will simply suck, no questions asked. They'll go see it with a biased eye and try to spot every single flaw in the film, and even make some up. It'll largely consist of "the actors suck, it should have been Japanese!" but there might be some creative gems such as "Ryuk didn't look demonic enough" or "the Death Note text didn't look right".

Quoted for truth.

It's not the fact that it's being adapted into live action, they have a problem with the fact that it's being adapted by HOLLYWOOD. Notice how no one says a peep about the Japanese live action Death Note movies.

Because, you know, Japan is God when it comes to movies and every single Hollywood movie ever made blows chunks.

Oct 20, 2009 11:04 AM

Oct 2009
Actually...That's only have of the people. Some of us think that changing nearly everything ( basing on the script ) is ruining Death Note.
Oct 20, 2009 11:09 AM

Feb 2009
MizuHoshi said:
Actually...That's only have of the people. Some of us think that changing nearly everything ( basing on the script ) is ruining Death Note.

I do agree with some of those complaints (They don't need to get rid of Ryuk, just call him a Grim Reaper instead of a shinigami) but at the same time, it's way early and there's plenty of time for the script to undergo massive changes.

Hell, do we even know if this is the actual script, or if someone's yanking our chains?

Oct 20, 2009 11:27 AM

Oct 2009
ArnoldK said:
MizuHoshi said:

I do agree with some of those complaints (They don't need to get rid of Ryuk, just call him a Grim Reaper instead of a shinigami) but at the same time, it's way early and there's plenty of time for the script to undergo massive changes.

Hell, do we even know if this is the actual script, or if someone's yanking our chains?

You're also right. Hopefully they will make some changes and we'll have Death Note we love. I guess we have to read the final script and watch the trailer before we can really judge it.
Oct 20, 2009 3:35 PM

Jul 2007
MizuHoshi said:
You're also right. Hopefully they will make some changes and we'll have Death Note we love. I guess we have to read the final script and watch the trailer before we can really judge it.

But then again, expecting to have a 100% faithful manga-to-movie adaptation IS naive. There are things that just don't work in LA movies.
Oct 21, 2009 1:29 AM

Oct 2009
Unfortunately - you're right....We'll see ^^
Oct 21, 2009 5:02 AM

Jun 2008
I hope that in the end they'll keep Light's real personality and his goals: he wanted to be a god and create a new world. Without this DN is not DN anymore.

Oct 21, 2009 7:01 AM
Jun 2009
50 bucks says it's gonna be white washed.
Oct 21, 2009 7:56 AM

Jul 2007
firepixiedarien said:

Why not?

Its produced in US and not in Japan.

Why should anyone cast asians into those roles?
Oct 21, 2009 8:29 AM

Oct 2009
The idea of the remake is to get American actors for the American remake...And gaining money from it.
Oct 21, 2009 8:54 AM

Feb 2009
Fai said:
firepixiedarien said:

Why not?

Its produced in US and not in Japan.

Why should anyone cast asians into those roles?

I agree, I have no problem rewriting it to be set in America. Every country rewrites adaptations to fit their own culture.

As an example, look at the Spider-man manga from the 70s. No one bitches about how he was Yu Komori instead of Peter Parker. Or how in the Spider-Man comic published in India, he's named Pavitr Prabhakar.

If it was a white american actor playing a Japanese teenager named Light Yagami, then I'd have a problem, but I doubt that would happen.

Oct 24, 2009 10:24 PM

Oct 2009
My opinion of the leaked script is a tad mixed.

It's spoiler heavy- brace yourselves.
Oct 24, 2009 11:42 PM

Sep 2008
Eh it's just death note, not like they are ruining a good anime.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 25, 2009 4:07 PM

Sep 2009
MizuHoshi said:
There's one thing I'm afraid of...If some known actor plays in the movie...All of his fangirls start to 'like' Death Note...Same thing happened to Twilight -_- People only like it because of the actors....I'll cry if I see some Zac Efron fangirl screaming I LOVE DEATH NOTE....>.< Death Note doesn't deserve that. It needs REAL fans. I also hate the way Americans always make remakes of everything.. I know that Japanese movies weren't that great but come on! Do any of you know when the actual release of the movie is? I heard 2010 , 2011 , 2012 or something like ' it's just a rumor' . Thanks for the reply.

I'm a Zac efron fangirl, and I LOVE DEATH NOTE xD
You can be a Zac Efron fangirl and a real death note fan too.

And is this script definately real?
out-ofthe-woods.tumblr.com

(✿◠‿◠)
Oct 26, 2009 12:46 AM

Mar 2009
F---! I hope the whole set goes up in flames during filming.
Oct 26, 2009 12:43 PM

Oct 2009
EternalSnowXx said:
MizuHoshi said:

Oh well. Hopefully it´s not real. We can only hope that it´s not¨:D I can´t stand Luke... Keep it Light people!!!XD
Oct 26, 2009 1:02 PM

Jan 2008
Oct 26, 2009 4:20 PM

Sep 2009
MizuHoshi said:
EternalSnowXx said:
MizuHoshi said:

Oh well. Hopefully it´s not real. We can only hope that it´s not¨:D I can´t stand Luke... Keep it Light people!!!XD

Yeah, I read a brief summary of the so-called script, and the way they've changed the storyline is terrible and completely takes away from the whole point of the anime.
What is wrong with Light? It's an english word, and there are some people with names like that (ex. Lights Poxleitner, a canadian singer). And using the death note to avenge his mothers death rather than just because he's purely bored will make viewers see Light in a completely different way.
And no shinigami? Pfft. Everyone in the western world knows what a death god is (grim reaper in westernised language), so there is no need to get rid of them.
out-ofthe-woods.tumblr.com

(✿◠‿◠)
Oct 28, 2009 6:43 AM

Aug 2009
Oh god. Horrible News. Everyone knows that holliwood or lolliwood whatever always screw things up when it comes to japanese anime adaption. Actors, stroyline, plots, graphics, wrong everything.

Japan should not allow them to screw Death Note like this.

Something liek...

Revenge of Japan:
Anime Version of Titanic

ringoo4Oct 28, 2009 6:47 AM
Oct 28, 2009 8:00 AM

Jul 2007
EternalSnowXx said:

Yeah, I read a brief summary of the so-called script, and the way they've changed the storyline is terrible and completely takes away from the whole point of the anime.
What is wrong with Light? It's an english word, and there are some people with names like that (ex. Lights Poxleitner, a canadian singer). And using the death note to avenge his mothers death rather than just because he's purely bored will make viewers see Light in a completely different way.
And no shinigami? Pfft. Everyone in the western world knows what a death god is (grim reaper in westernised language), so there is no need to get rid of them.

Let's see.... I know well... 0 people with name "Light".

Oh and Shinigami not being in movie adaptaion = win. These things can completely ruin live action things, as proven by the horribleness of jp death note live action movies.

AS for reasons - its still the same story, same concept about a teenager changed for worse by the power he stumbled upon.

It still portrays the whole power corrupts theme perfectly and with him starting to use it to avenge his mother's killers even gives even stronger "power corrupts" theme.

Hopefully we will see the whole transition and corruption by death note a lot better than anime did.
Oct 28, 2009 4:54 PM

Nov 2008
OK, I skimmed through the leaked script and:
- it's almost surely the real script. I mean, who would so perfectly forge a 112 page document?
Oct 28, 2009 5:02 PM

May 2008
WinterNightsFall said:
Ruh roh.

fight the powah
Oct 29, 2009 6:25 AM

Oct 2009
it's probs going to be...PURE cheese!
Oct 29, 2009 11:14 AM

Oct 2009
And...To add some more complains...American Death Note is possesing Luke -_-
Oct 29, 2009 1:37 PM

Aug 2009
I hope its not an almost exact reproduction of the Japanese movie where they film in practically the same location and even use some of the actors from the Japanese version but with just the main cast replaced with American actors. Anyone who has seen Ju-on:The Grudge and the American version The Grudge knows what I am talking about.I liked Sarah Michelle Gellar in the Grudge and I like its ending better than the Japanese version, but it still has me wondering why go through all that trouble to do an American version if it is going to be practically a copy of the Japanese one.Yeah there are some parts not on the American version,the American version is pretty good and some of the characters have been slightly changed but couldn't they have made the story take place somewhere in America,I could understand doing an almost exact copy if the oheck riginal movie is ten years or older.But there wasn't that much of a age difference they used the same boy in both version.
Nov 18, 2009 5:21 PM
Jul 2008
Actually if you consider Matrix (the original one) as a sort of 'remake' of Ghost in the Shell, I don't really mind watching WB's version of Death Note. Seriously, I wouldn't mind them changing the story altogether, as long as they can capture the spirit, if you know what i mean. There is no point in making a movie that just follows the original story literally, it'd just be boring.
For me, Death Note is a story showing how end doesn't justify the means - and it works for a whole load of movies/tv shows, take House MD for example, so I don't think making US version of Death Note a movie worth watching that hard.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

3 by eli_shmeli »»
2 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

9 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 9 hours ago

3 by JehadKun »»
6 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
7 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.