Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2009 7:00 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Amuro sucks as a pilot. But he's an amateur so I'll forgive him... for now. xD
But if he doesn't improve soon, I'll get very cranky! D<

That Guntank is quite inefficient: needing ground in order to be deployed when you're in space... how useless. And how the hell did it stay on the asteroid when there isn't any gravity?

Still, it was a good episode. Considering this series is 30 years old, it's quite good.
Feb 22, 2010 8:56 AM

May 2007
And ow they attack Char while he is resupplying, I am having a hard time rooting for Amuro.

This is quite good for 30 years old, still I wonder if they might be overdoing the "both sides are not bad" bit.
My anime list
Mar 5, 2010 9:18 AM

Apr 2009
My only experience with UC 0079 was with the PS2 games, but this is getting pretty good.
I found myself rooting more for Char a lot more than Amuro. I dislike both Amuro and Bright, but I wonder if that'll change..

Zeon has the expertise in fighting, but the Federation is pampered with all this fancy technology.

Hail Zeon.
Mar 6, 2010 4:09 PM

Jul 2007
Lol i find the zeon federation to be much more skilled as well and know how to deploy attacks. But its expected that Amuro shouldn't be that good in a gundam, that would be completely unrealistic if that was the case. After all it's his first day piloting one, and the only experience he has is that he was a computer tech.

It looks like next episode Char is going to fight him again. For only being 3 episodes into the series, i am thoroughly enjoying it. I only hope Amora becomes a better pilot though.

Jul 27, 2010 1:32 PM

May 2008
Sherr said:
I found myself rooting more for Char a lot more than Amuro.
Yeah, me too, Char is much more badass than Amuro~ I'm really enjoying this so far~
Aug 11, 2010 5:13 PM
Jun 2010
Another great episode, Amuro keep getting owned but has the superior mecha so it saved his ass.

on the asteroid when there isn't any gravity?

It must be a very massive asteroid then.

Aug 12, 2010 12:47 PM

Feb 2008
mitamaking said:
I am having a hard time rooting for Amuro.

Sherr said:
Hail Zeon.

link9us said:
Lol i find the zeon federation to be much more skilled as well and know how to deploy attacks.

sayami said:
Yeah, me too, Char is much more badass than Amuro~

You are all a bunch of dirty Zeonic sympathizers...
Nice
check this rad twitter out: http://twitter.com/fuckyeah_anime
Dec 7, 2010 9:38 PM

Sep 2009
Funny fact.
The majority of people will be drawn to support Zeon because thats what we are supposed to do.

Gundam is one of the few fictional creations where the rebels who have rebelled for a solid and just reason reason (Oppression) are the clear cut bad guys.

As opposed to things where our heros are the rebels. Which is much much more common.
Star Wars, Guren Lagann, ect ect.
Feb 15, 2011 8:24 AM

Jun 2009
Except so far it isn't clear cut who the bad guys are. Except for maybe the first episode where the Zeon soldiers killed all those innocent people, but of course it's reasonable to assume the federation is guilty of the same at some point. It is war after all.

Also, I think Amuro's doing really well for someone who just started piloting.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 20, 2011 10:58 AM

Feb 2008
Zeon dropped a space colony on Earth and killed half the total population... They laid destroyed 15% of Australia creating a new landform called "The Sydney Crater". They also initiated nuclear warfare with the Earth colonies. Pretty indefensible if you asked me.
Nice
check this rad twitter out: http://twitter.com/fuckyeah_anime
Feb 20, 2011 1:15 PM

Jun 2009
@ Ninja337
Well, the more the more I get into the series the more I agree.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 12, 2011 10:05 PM

May 2010
It's really difficult to watch this because the Animation is truly outdated...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 24, 2011 1:52 PM
May 2011
I would prefer that some more plot developments come along. These one-episode arcs aren't really doing it for me...

The show is truly impressive for its time, so far though. Hopefully I'm being honest with myself and not just self-protecting against buyer's remorse from getting the dvds.
Nov 24, 2011 2:39 PM

Dec 2010
jimboli92 said:
I would prefer that some more plot developments come along. These one-episode arcs aren't really doing it for me...

The show is truly impressive for its time, so far though. Hopefully I'm being honest with myself and not just self-protecting against buyer's remorse from getting the dvds.

Honestly, i just watched the whole thing in three days, and i can tell you, the first half seems to me like its full of useless fillers, it picks up after around 25 in my opinion.
Dec 21, 2012 3:58 PM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:

It really, really isn't hard to watch at all. Not for me, anyway.

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 27, 2012 9:18 PM

Apr 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Confucius said:

It really, really isn't hard to watch at all. Not for me, anyway.

I agree. I think the animation is fine. The only thing sub-par are the explosions, but this show is REALLY old. If you really want to see U.C. with awesome effects watch Unicorn. At least that's how I feel.
Jul 2, 2013 4:49 PM

Sep 2008
Nice to see some other fighting vehicles than just mobile suits in action. They didn't have those in 00, Wing or AGE. These first episodes have been pretty good. I wonder what happens when White Base has competent crew and not just some random civilians and low ranked military crewing her. Char is still total bad-ass.

Some may complain that animation looks old, but for me it is just addidional charm of the show.
Oct 27, 2013 1:57 AM
May 2013
I'm the only who noticed how well is Sayla drawn ? I mean she looks totally different from the other characters is like she was drawn with 90's technology.
Feb 2, 2014 9:46 AM

Mar 2013
Enjoying this a lot so far. The Guntank needing ground when it's deployed in outer space is pretty retarded though. You can see the 35-year-old mistakes in things like that hahah
Feb 6, 2014 11:55 PM

Oct 2013
So the first Haro is actually built by Amuro.

Oh, and isn't there is another Frau Bow from Robotics;Notes? Wait, so her nickname taken from this one?
May 27, 2014 12:49 AM

Jul 2009
Another ace episode!

Amuro was smart to use the sun as a distraction when firing at the enemy. Char is also smart to hide beneath it in order for them to hide there better.

Amuro kicks ass!! Char is baffled on how a bunch of amateurs can manage to defeat them through their weird tactics and unusual fighting style.

And lol at Bright, he panic and said to launnch the Gun tank even though it's about to launch now XD

I can't wait for the next episode!!
Mar 1, 2015 8:25 PM

Nov 2011
I can feel Char's frustration. He's losing to a bunch of novices due to technological inadequacies and bad timing. Also, even though everyone is saying Zeon is the bad side, given everything we've been shown so far, there's no solid grounding to assume so. Even the Zaku attack in the first episode was aiming to destroy the mobile suits rather than hurt civilians.

Until we get greater context, this is a military commander doing what he's supposed to do against a group of civilians caught in the cross-fire trying to defend themselves. To be honest, you could even argue that the Earth Federation is worse than Zeon since it's putting civilians in the line of fire to carry out military operations. Sure, a civilian colony might make for a good hiding place for secret weapons development, but using it for such is still dirty tactics and the moral low ground.

In any case, the civilians themselves aren't to blame, so I'm finding myself rooting for Amuro and sympathizing with Char simultaneously.
May 15, 2015 8:27 AM

Feb 2015
So far i am rooting for Char :P

Sherr said:

Hail Zeon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2015 7:32 AM

Jun 2009
This episode was amazing. Loved the flanking maneuver pulled on Char and co.

insan3Inquisitor said:
Except so far it isn&#039;t clear cut who the bad guys are. Except for maybe the first episode where the Zeon soldiers killed all those innocent people, but of course it&#039;s reasonable to assume the federation is guilty of the same at some point. It is war after all.

I have a feeling this is going to be like LoGH. Very little black and white, a whole lot of grey. Much like real life.
Dec 9, 2015 7:04 AM

Nov 2011
Not bad the battle between Zeon and the White base, quite thrilling clash, but Red Comet is too sailed in the military, Amuro takes them at all times, however the rest of the episode is good, especially the dialogues, charismatic and make already shape the character of the characters.
Jan 16, 2016 3:14 PM

Aug 2012
I didn't expect that I'll enjoy this. A good episode. Gave me a lot of room for thinking. Amuro is sharp but he need more experience.
I'm starting to like Char even more.

May 17, 2016 4:42 AM

Jul 2008
The only reason Char is losing is because he's facing better tech.
Jun 15, 2016 10:47 PM

Feb 2012
I really enjoyed the use of tactics in conducting their battle, and I love that Char was able to recognize that even White Base's successful attack was filled with many questionable tactics. It's great the anime doesn't try to play mediocre tactics a brilliant.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Proto Zaku this episode
4 Kills Total
Jul 3, 2016 4:44 PM

May 2012
Very solid development, let's see what happens next!
Jul 26, 2016 12:05 PM
Jul 2015
It was smart of them to attack while supplying. Char's ship should be pretty low on ammunition now, not to mention mechs. He'll have to take it close and personal to recover from this loss. I doubt he'll retreat just yet.
Jan 21, 2017 12:51 PM
Mar 2015
There is some cheesiness that comes from the times. I find it all charming and enjoyable. Hoping it starts developing more though.
Apr 4, 2017 4:11 AM

May 2015
Watching that Zeon officer go down was kind of saddening :/ I am starting to get the impression I'm supposed to be rooting for the bad guys, since they seem to have become the underdogs in this war.
Jul 24, 2017 10:43 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Very nice that after all these years the show holds up very well.

I find Amuro to not be insufferable at all. Usually in anime when dealing with a teenage character that is the protagonist and the one we're supposed to like, can became exhausting for the viewer. Amuro could have gotten super emo when Bright was lambasting him, but Amuro dealt with it.

Yeah, Char is a polorizing charector as the dude is likeabke.. so far, at least.
Aug 5, 2017 4:06 AM
Jul 2017
"Why don't you ask the Captain?"
"I don't like that tone. I'm the Captain now."

Lol. Awesome dialogue is awesome. Series keeps getting better and better. Love watching Zeon fall to the Amuro.
Nov 20, 2017 6:23 PM
Aug 2017
Are they saying shoot during the interlude?
May 22, 2018 8:09 PM

Jun 2014
Amuro is going to need some more training, because his reflexes in that suit just aren't quite fast enough for Char.

Mar 4, 2019 8:49 PM

Feb 2017
That was a surprisingly crazy battle. Lots of different angles of attack and tactics used.
May 28, 2019 10:04 PM

Sep 2013
I like how Char acknowledges that the Federation has weak tactics. He doesn't realize that so many of their experienced soldiers were killed in the initial attack and they have a skeleton crew of novices and kids. The Federation's superior Gundam tech is the only thing keeping them going. I can't wait to see how bad ass they'll be once the gain some experience!

5/5

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 14, 2020 9:29 PM

Jul 2017
This episode really went to show that Amuro is vastly untrained and unstable even if he does have a good intuition. Kai and Hayato try to help out with the Guntank. All those shots with the sun kind of hurt my eyes. A lot of other stuff kind of felt like a retread here, and I'm not sure that we really needed another fight with Char so soon.
Aug 30, 2020 6:08 AM

Aug 2017
Lol Gadem died thinking he could beat Amuro's OP gundam. They caught Char off guard but I don't think they'll be lucky next time. The fight was cool too.

Its funny that Amuro still wants to punch Bright lmao.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 2, 2020 12:05 PM

Jun 2016
Since there seems to be a topic of which side we sympathize with, I guess I will put my thoughts into this mess. With a lack of greater understanding for the Federation and Zeon, I currently feel the same about both. I root for the Federation more, simply because there are a handful of characters I have taken a liking to and don't want to see dead, whereas the only Zeon character I care for is Char.

Still, the motivation for this conflict is interesting and I look forward to seeing more of it. On the Federation side, Amuro's dad wanted to beat Zeon in the arms race to stop any more kids from going out to war and so far, they've been the defenders. Meanwhile, Zeon has raided the enemy and in the process killed many civilians. Of course, I think this is common practice for both sides, as someone else said, this is war and that happens. What I am really interested in is the reason for the rebellion from Zeon, what they are fighting for in particular.

I suppose because people have already started to discuss this, although probably with more knowledge than I have, it does go to show that this does feel morally ambiguous and it's effective.
Oct 26, 2020 8:46 PM

Nov 2018
Poor Ray he really needs a break, this must be so awful for him and his mental health
Jul 23, 2021 6:32 AM

Oct 2012
Like how they're sticking with Amuro being a newbie and not suddenly keeping up with an experienced war hero. His advanced technology making up for it makes sense. I hope that won't carry him through the entire show, but I doubt it.
Oct 27, 2022 6:21 PM

May 2019
Bright sure isn't that bright, not listening to anyone especially the women who are being logical and also throwing his power around. There's so much pressure on Amuro. Great action in this episode.
Mar 21, 2023 9:50 PM
Feb 2021
I like how Char said that the federation tactics were shit bc they were, except Amuro, hes goated
Apr 29, 2023 10:44 AM

Sep 2017
RIP Gadem

Amuro having big brain tactics.

somewhat gripping episode.

i need some sort of arc conclusion next episode. wrap up what happened to amuro's dad

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jul 6, 2023 4:30 PM

Jan 2019
It's hilarious how Char's like: "we're losing because they have better equipment, but it feels like we're fighting idiots. What does this mean?" when he's exactly right.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.