MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Producers Intend Gundam 00 For Male Fans
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Producers Intend Gundam 00 For Male Fans

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
04-30-09, 6:29 AM

Animage Original magazine volume 3 had an interview with Mizushima Seiji and Kuroda Yosuke. They told their reflections on the directions of "Mobile Suit Gundam 00".
Mizushima: I guess the story was oriented to the adult audiences too much.
Kuroda: So we want the producer of the next Gundam series to bring Gundam back to the hands of children. I'm confident that we got Gundam back to the male fans by Gundam 00, but unsure about the kid fans.

Source: Scan of Animage Original

According to other news sources, Bandai recognized that the female fans were the main target of Gundam 00 and the reports of the Gundam 00 events indicated that 70% of the fans were women.
This tendency was originated from Mobile Suit Gundam Seed series, which grabbed teenage girls.

Sources:
Gpara
Famitsu
Yomiuri
Bandai

Other interesting remarks:
Kuroda: It's the most difficult for us the producers of the real robot anime to decide how much we pursue the "reality". ... If we do it to the end, we have to deny the necessity of the robots in human form. ... But some Gundam fans care about such realism.
Mizushima: That's why we presented "GN Drive" to account for the reason.

Kuroda: I followed the way of the series organization of the first Gundam and intentionally restricted the background information of the Meisters. ... But I realized that the interest of the audiences had shifted from the drama to the characters.
Mizushima: I regretted that we should have implied the detailed backgrounds of the characters from the beginning of the series.
Modified by freedoleen, 05-22-09, 11:57 AM

04-30-09, 6:32 AM

dtshyk said:
Kuroda: So we want the producer of the next Gundam series to bring Gundam back to the hands of children. I'm confident that we got Gundam back to the male fans by Gundam 00, but unsure about the kid fans.

New G Gundam....? xD

04-30-09, 6:38 AM

I liked the Gundam 00 better, the kids can go watch something else!
I wanted some thought in my anime, not just battles.

Sounds like next gundam will be more for the kids.
will that be just fighting with a common story like most other robot animes...

04-30-09, 6:45 AM

Friendlysoul said:

At least, the publisher calls Gundam Unicorn a "Gundam for adults".

Source: Cove note of Gundam Unicorn

04-30-09, 6:47 AM

if anything, i think g00 pushed AWAY male fans. except the guys who like traps.

04-30-09, 7:01 AM

chryseis said:
if anything, i think g00 pushed AWAY male fans

Wrong.

At least characters were MALE this time, instead of SEEDFAIL where you could question anyone's sex any moment...(gay miniskirts *shiver*)

Friendlysoul said:

Pink Unicorns(pun intended) as gundams flying through the rainbow to go after the villain who never dies :P

04-30-09, 7:11 AM

Saks said:
dtshyk said:

New G Gundam....? xD
THIS, PLEASE!

It's been 13 years, Sunrise. I think it's time you delivered what you promised.

04-30-09, 7:24 AM

llxwarbirdxll said:
Saks said:
dtshyk said:

New G Gundam....? xD
THIS, PLEASE!

It's been 13 years, Sunrise. I think it's time you delivered what you promised.

Agreed.

Also,

Really? I didn't realize adult audiences wanted a story filled with pseudo-real world politics and a throwaway cast of characters whose only draw is their supposed "sex appeal" that quickly devolves from having at least a semi-decent amount of moral ambiguity to yet another good vs. evil show with some piss poor excuses for antagonists and tackles almost none of the issues about war it brings up in a fashion even bordering satisfactory.

Seriously, I expected a lot better from the guy who directed Dai Guard...

04-30-09, 7:55 AM

dtshyk said:

Is Mizushima really saying Gundam 00 is an adult-oriented series?XD
And I thought they wanted to cater to young, at most middle schoolers with it...I also find it VERY convincing that they would hire a shounen-ai, fujoshi friendly mangaka to draw original designs for the characters , in the hope to to win male fans back. Then again, it's Sunrise ^^'.

04-30-09, 8:02 AM

I'm a woman, and I think G00 is the best of the franchise by a good margin. >.>

04-30-09, 8:12 AM

I thought all the characters in G00 were all too mysterious and lone wolf, which is probably why it appealed to woman so much. My personal favorite gundam series is 8th MS Team. I love the gritty realism and how the Gundams arent invincible.

Also I agree that there should have been more background on the characters in the first season. Because I found myself not caring what happened to them, until the second season.

04-30-09, 8:18 AM

seimei said:
dtshyk said:

Is Mizushima really saying Gundam 00 is an adult-oriented series?XD
And I thought they wanted to cater to young, at most middle schoolers with it...I also find it VERY convincing that they would hire a shounen-ai, fujoshi friendly mangaka to draw original designs for the characters , in the hope to to win male fans back. Then again, it's Sunrise ^^'.

Agreed. ^^

04-30-09, 9:07 AM

So why won't they produce two new Gundam series simultaneously? One would be about crazy fighting action and pure fun, the second would be more adult viewer-oriented. 12 episodes each, maybe that's the solution?

04-30-09, 9:38 AM

i think the most important thing is to remember that when all is said and done, the producer will chase the money. certainly they won't do anything stupid like alienate any target audience, but if it is more profitable. for them to cater to females they will do so. same for adults kids and males alike. it is obvious that he G series are entertaining to such a degree that you could never really have a balanced spread of viewers. this would explain the contrast between SEED and 00. To the producers they are at liberty to cater to whatever audience they choose each round, but whatever they bring out is never so bad that any one group would completely be turned off altogether.

04-30-09, 10:35 AM

Absolutely_Steve said:

Really? I didn't realize adult audiences wanted a story filled with pseudo-real world politics and a throwaway cast of characters whose only draw is their supposed "sex appeal" that quickly devolves from having at least a semi-decent amount of moral ambiguity to yet another good vs. evil show with some piss poor excuses for antagonists and tackles almost none of the issues about war it brings up in a fashion even bordering satisfactory.

All very true, though I still think the show was targetted at a slightly older audience. The writting just ended up being, well, not very good.

yarvenclog said:
My personal favorite gundam series is 8th MS Team. I love the gritty realism and how the Gundams arent invincible.

08th MS Team isn't gritty. It still surprises me that people try and claim this.

04-30-09, 10:50 AM

the main characters were way too pretty for it to be directed mostly towards a male audience XD

04-30-09, 11:48 AM

Cadarn said:
Absolutely_Steve said:

All very true, though I still think the show was targetted at a slightly older audience. The writting just ended up being, well, not very good.
Agreed, especially when it comes to the second season. So much material was set up in the first season that was just... lost in the second. Would almost swear that the second season was done by a completely different crew.

Cadarn said:
yarvenclog said:
My personal favorite gundam series is 8th MS Team. I love the gritty realism and how the Gundams arent invincible.

08th MS Team isn't gritty. It still surprises me that people try and claim this.
I too would rank 08th as my fave of just Gundam material, though I wouldn't quite use gritty to describe it. Well, maybe, if it was to describe the dented and dirty looks of most of the mobile suits that don't look like they're fresh from a car wash. Just makes things feel more realistic in that the pilots don't have the time to detail their mobile suits paint jobs and give them two coats of wax in between missions.

But if you're gonna make a series that draws in more kids, then a good idea is likely to cut down on the romance and politics. But then this would likely destroy one of the cornerstones of a Gundam story if not done just right (and even so might anyway).

04-30-09, 11:55 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see the rest of the comments Mizushima and Kuroda had to say.

04-30-09, 12:17 PM

Lol, sorry but since some aspects of the show are so naive, I think I'll have to pull out the Epic Fail card. I'd say this show is more targeted towards teenagers. I doubt anyone mature enough would seek something deep in a mecha show like Gundam... (Especially this one) Then again the show might just be the japanese view of post-9/11 so what seems naive to me, might not be for them.

Not surprised this show appeals to female fans. After all in Japan they love emos and bishounens. :p (Joke)
Modified by Alexstratz, 04-30-09, 12:25 PM

04-30-09, 12:26 PM

Alexstratz said:

Lol, sorry but since some aspects of the show are so naive, I think I'll have to pull out the Epic Fail card. I'd say this show is more targeted towards teenagers. I doubt anyone mature enough would seek something deep in a mecha show like Gundam... (Especially this one) Then again the show might just be the japanese view of post-9/11 so what seems naive to me, might not be for them.

I second that.

"Mizushima: I guess the story was oriented to the adult audiences too much." = epic fail right there. Then again, a failure producer for a failure series :)

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices