Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 30, 2009 6:29 AM

Feb 2008
Animage Original magazine volume 3 had an interview with Mizushima Seiji and Kuroda Yosuke. They told their reflections on the directions of "Mobile Suit Gundam 00".
Mizushima: I guess the story was oriented to the adult audiences too much.
Kuroda: So we want the producer of the next Gundam series to bring Gundam back to the hands of children. I'm confident that we got Gundam back to the male fans by Gundam 00, but unsure about the kid fans.

Source: Scan of Animage Original

According to other news sources, Bandai recognized that the female fans were the main target of Gundam 00 and the reports of the Gundam 00 events indicated that 70% of the fans were women.
This tendency was originated from Mobile Suit Gundam Seed series, which grabbed teenage girls.

Sources:
Gpara
Famitsu
Yomiuri
Bandai

Other interesting remarks:
Kuroda: It's the most difficult for us the producers of the real robot anime to decide how much we pursue the "reality". ... If we do it to the end, we have to deny the necessity of the robots in human form. ... But some Gundam fans care about such realism.
Mizushima: That's why we presented "GN Drive" to account for the reason.

Kuroda: I followed the way of the series organization of the first Gundam and intentionally restricted the background information of the Meisters. ... But I realized that the interest of the audiences had shifted from the drama to the characters.
Mizushima: I regretted that we should have implied the detailed backgrounds of the characters from the beginning of the series.
freedo-May 22, 2009 11:57 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 30, 2009 6:32 AM

Oct 2007
dtshyk said:
Kuroda: So we want the producer of the next Gundam series to bring Gundam back to the hands of children. I'm confident that we got Gundam back to the male fans by Gundam 00, but unsure about the kid fans.

New G Gundam....? xD
Apr 30, 2009 6:38 AM

Oct 2007
I liked the Gundam 00 better, the kids can go watch something else!
I wanted some thought in my anime, not just battles.

Sounds like next gundam will be more for the kids.
will that be just fighting with a common story like most other robot animes...
Apr 30, 2009 6:45 AM

Feb 2008
Friendlysoul said:

At least, the publisher calls Gundam Unicorn a "Gundam for adults".

Source: Cove note of Gundam Unicorn
Apr 30, 2009 6:47 AM

Nov 2007
if anything, i think g00 pushed AWAY male fans. except the guys who like traps.
Apr 30, 2009 7:01 AM

Jul 2007
chryseis said:
if anything, i think g00 pushed AWAY male fans

Wrong.

At least characters were MALE this time, instead of SEEDFAIL where you could question anyone's sex any moment...(gay miniskirts *shiver*)

Friendlysoul said:

Pink Unicorns(pun intended) as gundams flying through the rainbow to go after the villain who never dies :P
Apr 30, 2009 7:11 AM

Oct 2007
Saks said:
dtshyk said:

New G Gundam....? xD
THIS, PLEASE!

It's been 13 years, Sunrise. I think it's time you delivered what you promised.
Apr 30, 2009 7:24 AM

May 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
Saks said:
dtshyk said:

New G Gundam....? xD
THIS, PLEASE!

Agreed.

Also,

Really? I didn't realize adult audiences wanted a story filled with pseudo-real world politics and a throwaway cast of characters whose only draw is their supposed "sex appeal" that quickly devolves from having at least a semi-decent amount of moral ambiguity to yet another good vs. evil show with some piss poor excuses for antagonists and tackles almost none of the issues about war it brings up in a fashion even bordering satisfactory.

Seriously, I expected a lot better from the guy who directed Dai Guard...
Apr 30, 2009 7:55 AM

Jul 2007
dtshyk said:

Is Mizushima really saying Gundam 00 is an adult-oriented series?XD
And I thought they wanted to cater to young, at most middle schoolers with it...I also find it VERY convincing that they would hire a shounen-ai, fujoshi friendly mangaka to draw original designs for the characters , in the hope to to win male fans back. Then again, it's Sunrise ^^'.

Apr 30, 2009 8:02 AM

Nov 2007
I'm a woman, and I think G00 is the best of the franchise by a good margin. >.>
Apr 30, 2009 8:12 AM

Mar 2008
I thought all the characters in G00 were all too mysterious and lone wolf, which is probably why it appealed to woman so much. My personal favorite gundam series is 8th MS Team. I love the gritty realism and how the Gundams arent invincible.

Also I agree that there should have been more background on the characters in the first season. Because I found myself not caring what happened to them, until the second season.
Apr 30, 2009 8:18 AM

Jul 2008
seimei said:
dtshyk said:

Is Mizushima really saying Gundam 00 is an adult-oriented series?XD
And I thought they wanted to cater to young, at most middle schoolers with it...I also find it VERY convincing that they would hire a shounen-ai, fujoshi friendly mangaka to draw original designs for the characters , in the hope to to win male fans back. Then again, it's Sunrise ^^'.

Agreed. ^^
Apr 30, 2009 9:07 AM

Jul 2008
So why won't they produce two new Gundam series simultaneously? One would be about crazy fighting action and pure fun, the second would be more adult viewer-oriented. 12 episodes each, maybe that's the solution?
Apr 30, 2009 9:38 AM

Feb 2008
i think the most important thing is to remember that when all is said and done, the producer will chase the money. certainly they won't do anything stupid like alienate any target audience, but if it is more profitable. for them to cater to females they will do so. same for adults kids and males alike. it is obvious that he G series are entertaining to such a degree that you could never really have a balanced spread of viewers. this would explain the contrast between SEED and 00. To the producers they are at liberty to cater to whatever audience they choose each round, but whatever they bring out is never so bad that any one group would completely be turned off altogether.
Apr 30, 2009 10:35 AM

Feb 2009
Absolutely_Steve said:

Really? I didn't realize adult audiences wanted a story filled with pseudo-real world politics and a throwaway cast of characters whose only draw is their supposed "sex appeal" that quickly devolves from having at least a semi-decent amount of moral ambiguity to yet another good vs. evil show with some piss poor excuses for antagonists and tackles almost none of the issues about war it brings up in a fashion even bordering satisfactory.

All very true, though I still think the show was targetted at a slightly older audience. The writting just ended up being, well, not very good.

yarvenclog said:
My personal favorite gundam series is 8th MS Team. I love the gritty realism and how the Gundams arent invincible.

08th MS Team isn't gritty. It still surprises me that people try and claim this.
Apr 30, 2009 10:50 AM

Jun 2007
the main characters were way too pretty for it to be directed mostly towards a male audience XD

Apr 30, 2009 11:48 AM

May 2008
Cadarn said:
Absolutely_Steve said:

All very true, though I still think the show was targetted at a slightly older audience. The writting just ended up being, well, not very good.
Agreed, especially when it comes to the second season. So much material was set up in the first season that was just... lost in the second. Would almost swear that the second season was done by a completely different crew.

Cadarn said:
yarvenclog said:
My personal favorite gundam series is 8th MS Team. I love the gritty realism and how the Gundams arent invincible.

08th MS Team isn't gritty. It still surprises me that people try and claim this.
I too would rank 08th as my fave of just Gundam material, though I wouldn't quite use gritty to describe it. Well, maybe, if it was to describe the dented and dirty looks of most of the mobile suits that don't look like they're fresh from a car wash. Just makes things feel more realistic in that the pilots don't have the time to detail their mobile suits paint jobs and give them two coats of wax in between missions.

But if you're gonna make a series that draws in more kids, then a good idea is likely to cut down on the romance and politics. But then this would likely destroy one of the cornerstones of a Gundam story if not done just right (and even so might anyway).

Apr 30, 2009 11:55 AM

Oct 2007
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see the rest of the comments Mizushima and Kuroda had to say.
Apr 30, 2009 12:17 PM

Feb 2009

Lol, sorry but since some aspects of the show are so naive, I think I'll have to pull out the Epic Fail card. I'd say this show is more targeted towards teenagers. I doubt anyone mature enough would seek something deep in a mecha show like Gundam... (Especially this one) Then again the show might just be the japanese view of post-9/11 so what seems naive to me, might not be for them.

Not surprised this show appeals to female fans. After all in Japan they love emos and bishounens. :p (Joke)
AlexstratzApr 30, 2009 12:25 PM
Apr 30, 2009 12:26 PM

Mar 2008
Alexstratz said:

Lol, sorry but since some aspects of the show are so naive, I think I'll have to pull out the Epic Fail card. I'd say this show is more targeted towards teenagers. I doubt anyone mature enough would seek something deep in a mecha show like Gundam... (Especially this one) Then again the show might just be the japanese view of post-9/11 so what seems naive to me, might not be for them.

I second that.

"Mizushima: I guess the story was oriented to the adult audiences too much." = epic fail right there. Then again, a failure producer for a failure series :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2009 1:49 PM

May 2008
kaminakun said:
Alexstratz said:

I second that.

"Mizushima: I guess the story was oriented to the adult audiences too much." = epic fail right there. Then again, a failure producer for a failure series :)

I third that. GN Particles are intended for the adult audiences lol.
Apr 30, 2009 2:09 PM
Dec 2008
i think gundam 00 pulled in male fans
everyone i know who watches gudnam 00 is a guy...
and this was my first gundam
i really enjoyed 00
so i think gundam 00 actually pulled in male fans
Apr 30, 2009 2:24 PM

Sep 2008
meh for me 00 is the best AU Gundam
not know well for UC...
SEED ?
lol don't make me laugh.
we already know CE is 'resetted' UC btw.

for the topic itself
yeah i think 00 is more suited to male fans.
yes many "bishounen" in this series, but i think the directing is more suited to male audience.
not many gal's out there interested with engine fetish maniac XD

personally i think 00 kinda similar with W
Apr 30, 2009 2:28 PM
Sep 2007
yarvenclog said:
I thought all the characters in G00 were all too mysterious and lone wolf, which is probably why it appealed to woman so much. My personal favorite gundam series is 8th MS Team. I love the gritty realism and how the Gundams arent invincible.

Also I agree that there should have been more background on the characters in the first season. Because I found myself not caring what happened to them, until the second season.

agree 08th ms team was the best
can't say much about gundam 00 as i didn't watch most of it
Apr 30, 2009 3:00 PM

Jun 2007
hmm, I always though from seed onwards it was aimed at female audience more than male due to the appearance of the characters.
Well, I'm still waiting for a Gundam series with mid-30yrs old veteran pilot as the main character, and Crossbone...
Apr 30, 2009 3:36 PM

Feb 2008
Gundam 00 for males? Some of the promotional art tells otherwise LMAO.
Apr 30, 2009 3:42 PM

Jan 2009
G GUNDAM 2 now!
Apr 30, 2009 4:54 PM

Jan 2008
Friendlysoul said:

Fuck yeah.
Hello!
Apr 30, 2009 5:17 PM

Oct 2007
Friendlysoul said:

kaena said:
i think gundam 00 pulled in male fans
everyone i know who watches gudnam 00 is a guy...
and this was my first gundam
i really enjoyed 00
so i think gundam 00 actually pulled in male fans
Apr 30, 2009 5:26 PM

Oct 2008
I just hope that Gundam Unicorn will be made for adult audiences and not the "next Gundam anime for kids".

Since when was Gundam for kids...? Aside from the SD series which are all games. Perhaps, they should produce a SD Gundam anime to win back their children fans. However, not sure about other Gundam fans, I won't be watching it unless its like Hetalia.
Apr 30, 2009 6:26 PM

Feb 2007
Kira01 said:
I just hope that Gundam Unicorn will be made for adult audiences and not the "next Gundam anime for kids".

Since when was Gundam for kids...? Aside from the SD series which are all games. Perhaps, they should produce a SD Gundam anime to win back their children fans. However, not sure about other Gundam fans, I won't be watching it unless its like Hetalia.

Gundam has always been for kids since they realised how many toys they could sell from all the model kits they sold. Probably soon after Zeta they realized the kiddy-toy selling power, since then thats all Gundam has been, one big commercial to sell toys.

Especially the new Gundam series, even more so in 00s2, the Masuoro and Susanoo had such a tiny and insignificant role in the series, it was just there to make poses and look cool and eventually sell toys.

Apr 30, 2009 6:36 PM

Oct 2007
Kraker2k said:
Kira01 said:

Gundam has always been for kids since they realised how many toys they could sell from all the model kits they sold. Probably soon after Zeta they realized the kiddy-toy selling power, since then thats all Gundam has been, one big commercial to sell toys.

Especially the new Gundam series, even more so in 00s2, the Masuoro and Susanoo had such a tiny and insignificant role in the series, it was just there to make poses and look cool and eventually sell toys.
Even the insides of the S2 mechs look like Gunpla.
Apr 30, 2009 7:12 PM
Apr 2009
Kira01 said:

SD Gundam burned my eyes. Even if I was a child when it came out, I'd still hate it with a passion.

Apr 30, 2009 7:18 PM

Dec 2007
I thought 00 was great. Loved the more mature aspect to it. Should keep at it.
Apr 30, 2009 9:29 PM

May 2007
I am a male, I can see it is targeted for men, however if they didn't want females they wouldn't have made all the guys look like girls.

Also the show is very cheap in protecting the Gundams from anything not in a Gundam.
My anime list
Apr 30, 2009 11:48 PM

Dec 2007
Soulstrider said:
kaminakun said:
Alexstratz said:

I second that.

No, I understand where he was going with the GN Drive thing. You need some sort of plausible explanation for why the robots can do all this crazy crap. Actually, Mizushima made a very good point when he said, "Yeah, Gundam is Real Robot but if you make it too realistic you realize that robots in a humanoid shape doesn't really make sense." And, it doesn't. :P

Anyway, I was a pretty big fan of this series and I'm a male, so I guess it worked. Then again, the last episode of Season 2 I saw was 9. Apparently in that amount of time its gone through the typical anime fan cycle (where it goes from "most awesome thing evar!" to "epic" fail) so I don't know what happened in the interrim.

I don't like the idea of the next series being aimed at kids though...that's worrying, just a bit.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
May 1, 2009 12:53 AM

Oct 2007
SageShinigami said:
I don't like the idea of the next series being aimed at kids though...that's worrying, just a bit.
No, it means less teen angst. I can, quote honestly, say that anime made for children are a lot better than anime for teens, nowadays.
May 1, 2009 2:23 AM

May 2008
chryseis said:

Don't forget ____ like fai, love transvestite male androids who are absolutely worthless to the story.

Also gundam 00 was shit.
TechnicsMKIIMay 1, 2009 2:29 AM
May 1, 2009 4:30 AM

Jul 2007
DeltaPlus said:
chryseis said:

Don't forget ____ like fai, love transvestite male androids who are absolutely worthless to the story.

Also gundam 00 was shit.

Troll sighting :3

Ah the KrylonBlue and his pink Unicorns, always lighting up a thread :P

Soulstrider said:

A Clean, unlimited energy source with anti-gravitational and psychic abilities is far more "adult" concept than "Its LOLNUCLEAR thus its powaful and unlimited" of LOLSEED, not to mention that it answers the "why that huge humanoid bulk of metal can own so much" question better. :)
AhenshihaelMay 1, 2009 4:45 AM
May 1, 2009 7:09 AM

Oct 2007
Fai said:
Soulstrider said:

A Clean, unlimited energy source with anti-gravitational and psychic abilities is far more "adult" concept than "Its LOLNUCLEAR thus its powaful and unlimited" of LOLSEED, not to mention that it answers the "why that huge humanoid bulk of metal can own so much" question better. :)
Gundam was never a real robot show. They shouldn't try to make it one, either. But yeah, I guess the GN Drive thing is a better excuse than Zeta Gundam's LOL SOULS OF DEAD PEOPLE AS ENERGY.
May 1, 2009 7:40 AM

May 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
Saks said:
dtshyk said:

New G Gundam....? xD
THIS, PLEASE!

can explain pls? what show did that come from?
May 1, 2009 9:34 AM

Jul 2007
canephalanx said:
can explain pls? what show did that come from?

Click and see the radiating MANLY awesomeness ;]
May 1, 2009 12:40 PM

Apr 2008
ROFL New G Gundam would be cool.

Well, I think the char designs was too much bait.
May 1, 2009 5:38 PM

Aug 2008
00 is ****ing awesome to me, probably the 1st or 2nd best. Don't know why people diss it, but eh critics what can ya do about em? I wish they would have and adult storyline, but also incredibly amazing fight scenes, well that's what I would want anyways.

Although I can also see how 00 could have drawed in the female audience.

May 2, 2009 1:05 AM

Jul 2008
you'd think that a series about giant robots trying to destroy each other and fighting would be targeted towards a male audience, but i guess not was the case with 00, weird
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 2, 2009 12:33 PM

Feb 2009
Fai said:

Actually it seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing that would come out of the imagination of some sci-fi nerd kid of our time, fed with too much "protect the Earth" ads.
May 2, 2009 2:00 PM

Oct 2007
I'm surprised that Gundam 00 attracted mostly female audience.
They're probably their to hear Setsuna's voice and Meisters :]

Or that Marina made the men go watch other animations >_>

Gundam for Kids/teens, sounds pretty much like so. Seems like Macross went into that direction too?

*Goes back to watch Macross Frontier and Macross Zero....*
(Oh Wait... SEED? Whats that? Kira Yamato? Whos that again?)
May 27, 2009 7:57 AM
Sep 2008
Japan, viewers was adult men.
M1, adult men 20-34 years old.
M2, adult men 35-49 years old.
F2, adult women 35-49 years old.

00 was a total fail with the kids

*4.4% 機動戦士ガンダムOO                  10/12(日)17:00~

世帯 KID TEN *M1 *M2 *M3 *F1 *F2 *F3
----------------------------------------------------
*4.4 *1.0 *1.9 *6.7 *3.0 *1.2 *1.5 *2.5 *1.1  機動戦士ガンダムOO (08/10/12 関東)

KID:男女4~12歳 、TEN:男女13~19歳
*M1:男性20~34歳 、*M2:男性35~49歳 、*M3:男性50歳以上
*F1:女性20~34歳 、*F2:女性35~49歳 、*F3:女性50歳以上
Jun 1, 2009 2:07 PM

Dec 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:
Gundam was never a real robot show. They shouldn't try to make it one, either. But yeah, I guess the GN Drive thing is a better excuse than Zeta Gundam's LOL SOULS OF DEAD PEOPLE AS ENERGY.

LOL. Honest question. Is this revisionist history at work? Gundam created the Real Robot genre. Technically the UC series made by Tomino should be the guideline for anyone doing Real Robot, which is actually a genre that has more to do with how the robot itself is used and the tropes used to tell the story than it does with just exactly how realistic the mecha is.

There actually haven't been all that many Super Robot series to be released this decade. Godannar, Aquarion, possibly Gravion...

At best, there's a scale for Real Robot where 1 is the most realistic and 10's not really realistic at all and Gundam's somewhere around an 8. (10 would be Geass.)
SageShinigamiJun 2, 2009 9:49 PM
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Nov 7, 2009 5:58 PM

Sep 2008
Alexstratz said:
Fai said:

Actually it seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing that would come out of the imagination of some sci-fi nerd kid of our time, fed with too much "protect the Earth" ads.

ye i'm 19 still in the group marked as a teen and get the whole idea very well and i want to see more much more animes like this one but ... there are too many animes with childish stuff etc.. which are made more like to waste ur free time .. this is serious anime here and there are very few animes like these~ which i can call masterpieces that made me really really excited .. so i just cant imagine how could they get the idea to turn such a great story into some ordinary anime..
and i'm sure that statistics are wrong :D the main characters are all cool males so there are alot of fangirls i know it in japan it may have been like that % during the air time but afterwards and in global the pic is different :)
such animes deserve to be rewatched once or even more times so i'm going to do it soon~~~~

iTom said:
Friendlysoul said:

Fuck yeah.

<<agrees with that ^^
Lintenz_Nov 7, 2009 6:02 PM
~_~ !
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
11 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.