Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 14, 2011 9:25 AM

Jun 2011
The slowness isn't what bothers me, it is the extreme unlikeliness that that would happen in the "awkward" scene, or whatever. coming out of the shower naked, walking up that close, him falling, opening the underpants drawer, falling on top of her, and grabbing her? hell no. if they had one or a couple of those happen, would have been fine, but all of them? yeah right. It just annoyed me. yeah, its anime, yeah its fiction, but i thought it went just a bit too far. Also, at this point i still don't really like any of the characters. I mean, they are well developed and all, i just hate all of them. It is definitely a really good show, just so far not what I like. Just disappointed. Sorry, I don't mean to offend, I just had to vent a little bit.
Aug 14, 2011 9:37 AM

Jun 2009
I'll say it right now, the characters were clearly never intended to be likable. So, if you don't like them now you probably never will. Of course, Asuka hasn't shown up yet though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 14, 2011 9:55 AM

Dec 2010
How can you not like them? Look at all of these awesome cliche harem situations. Clearly this is a fun, non-serious anime.
Aug 14, 2011 12:08 PM

Jun 2011
insan3soldiern said:
I'll say it right now, the characters were clearly never intended to be likable. So, if you don't like them now you probably never will. Of course, Asuka hasn't shown up yet though.

Why is it so popular if none of the characters are likable? If this starts getting into spoiler land I can just be patient and keep watching. lol
Nov 5, 2011 2:15 AM

Jul 2009
It was a fine ep until "WILD SHINJI APPEARS!"

And he got bitchslapped AWWWWYEAAAA!!!
Nov 21, 2011 5:54 PM

Mar 2010
it's funny seeing all these reactions in 2011, where during the past 2 or 3 years, those awkward moments are the only thing we see in a generic anime. And for some strange reason, we all seem to enjoy it. Oh, how I miss the past so, it's so sad. Oh, so sad. Looking forward to the next!
Mar 6, 2012 8:53 AM

Jan 2012
Rewatching this...it never ceases to amaze me how Evangelion can move so slowly and yet be so enjoyable...Rei is such a puzzling character and it's nice for her to get major screen time...the slowness and awkward silences/situations are what make Eva...
Mar 22, 2012 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
Great ep. Having your senses connected to the eva's must be fkd
Aug 28, 2012 7:25 PM
Aug 2012
Talk about choking on words, poor dude couldn't explain why he went to her place haha. But the end dam...that looked like it hurt....
Dec 9, 2012 6:10 AM

May 2012
Well that's some awkward situation to start off with :p "he sure liked it though" but nice episode but damn another cliffhanger when it just started to get good! Up to the next episode waiting with an epic battle!
Dec 13, 2012 3:00 PM

Mar 2011
werrston said:
And it's kind of sad how his father cares more for her than for his own son...

I felt really bad for Shinji, seeing how Rei and his father interacted. That would be really tough.
Jan 20, 2013 4:19 PM

Feb 2012
Nice episode even though we didn't really much get anything from Rei Ayanami's past and all that good info.

Thoughts from Episode 05.

So this episode was really good because we got so see another Eva unit 00. Which is piloted this mysterious girl Rei Ayanami. I would like to know something about her past these Markus notes seems really know a plothole in this anime. Also why all data got erased who did it, when and why.

Also this episode showed that Gendo cares Rei more than Shinji which is actually really sad for Shinji. Also it seems like Gendo would sacrifice himself for Rei. And their relationship is like father and girl. But to burn own hands for unknown girl for no reason is still unsolved. he seem to have obsession for this girl.

Rei Ayanami seems same kind of people like Shinji don't have any friends in school but I am sure her story is something so amazing that it will blow me away. She seems very clumsy when she fell down on Shinji. I bet these two will have some kind of connection in later episodes. Also when Rei slapped Shinji she had emotions for him. But why she is all the time like she isn't moving mentally sickness??

More revealing stuff like Rei Ayanami is 14-years old too " First Chosen Child" to pilot Eva's she was basically doing what Shinji wasn't doing in later time. Was it just bug or did Rei Ayanami didn't focus more to control Eva-00 or maybe it was something to do with that "Fifth Angel" which we didn't saw but looks like it's more intelligent than other previous angels. like that suprise attack how Shinji will survive from that.

Hmm I wondered already why Rei's Voice actor sounds familiar it's Haibara from DC. Or voice actor name is Megumi Hayashibara.
MixxuJan 20, 2013 4:27 PM
Feb 17, 2013 4:00 AM

Oct 2012
GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
-_-
Rei irritated me today. VERY MUCH SO.
Feb 24, 2013 9:36 AM

Jan 2013
Everyone says this is amazing, hmmmmmmm
Apr 4, 2013 11:51 AM

Jun 2009
wherearethestars said:
insan3soldiern said:

Why is it so popular if none of the characters are likable? If this starts getting into spoiler land I can just be patient and keep watching. lol

Sorry for the late ass response, but for me it's that the characters are very interesting to me. Evangelion is a bit different in that it presents these incredibly flawed characters and gradually peels them back like an onion as we learn more about them. I obviously can't speak much more about this right now, but that's how I feel about the show.

A Rei-centric episode, and good stuff all around. As I said when I first watched this, I really dig the slow pace and how silence is conveyed. More than ever, I notice how well directed this series is....probably some of the best work I've seen in anime.

Rei is different from the other characters, in that the majority of her characterization is based on body language. A good example is how she acts around Gendo's glasses and breaths a sigh of relief(?) after her test is canceled. Don't get me wrong, though, Shinji and Misato say a lot without actually saying it, but Rei more so.
Ston3_FreeN7Apr 4, 2013 11:54 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 15, 2013 11:22 PM

Mar 2012
marazshinig said:
Trevelyan said:
The awkward moment was even awkward to watch, that's how awkward that moment really was. Nice breast grab on Shinji's part.

That really looked like an hentai scene.

Maybe at the time but these days i've seen some ecchi scenes that are even worse than that one xD
Apr 20, 2013 6:33 AM

Sep 2011
A curry and a beer for a penguin? And yes, that awkward moment was really awkward.

Ampsta said:
Rest in piece Shinji. You were a great man.

LOL.

Apr 28, 2013 6:34 PM
Feb 2012
LostHanyou said:
Shinji should have slapped that bitch back :/

The scene with Rei slapping Shinji is brilliant if you think at what it's true meaning.

It's not casual that it was put specifically in THIS episode. Rei is completely indifferent when Shinji grabs her breast, even if accidentally. Yet, that's the scene where one would expect a slap from her.

Instead she suddenly shows that type of emotion when Shinji declares his lack of faith in his father.

So in one scene there's a huge amount of character development without even a little bit of exposition. It's simply brilliant for how powerful it is.

You see the way Rei works inside. She cares nothing for her body, or sexuality, or embarrassment. It's all indifferent to her, and the only emotion she shows is annoyance. But then it would be wrong to consider her simply autistic and emotionless. So they show you that emotion is a different context. The lack of faith in Gendo is for her a personal offense about what she cares about. So she feels disgusted by Shinji and slaps him.
Apr 29, 2013 6:39 AM
Jul 2018

Commander Ikari is so close to Rei while he is too cold to his own son.
And that super awkward moment between Shinji and Rei.
May 19, 2013 1:35 AM

Jul 2012
Showed a little more promise this episode. I think I expected more of an invasion/supernatural element to this show like Blue Gender, and I really need to drop that train of thought for now. Still solid.
CDenverMay 19, 2013 1:57 AM
Jun 9, 2013 11:37 AM
Oct 2011
AM I the only one who found Rei to be the Turn-OFF she was intended to be?
Jun 10, 2013 11:52 AM

Dec 2012
You can't blame Rei for slapping Shinji though, Shinji's dad never treated Shinji as a son but treated Rei as if she were his daughter.
Jul 3, 2013 4:48 PM

Nov 2011
That awkward scene was spectacular. In anime it seems that every stumble or trip has to end up with a guy on top of a girl in some suggestive position. NGE went a step farther with Rei having yet to put clothes on and her bras and pants showering all over the place. That was so over-the-top that it was hilariously stupid instead of annoyingly unnecessary. It was on the same level as a parody, but I know it was totally serious because it showed so much about her character.

On a similar topic, why must the pilots be 14? I understand there's a reason, but that's by the writer's choice. 14 is not the target age group, is it? The story and setting seems like it can be more mature and thought-provoking than a simple mid-teen's show. Having 14-year-old pilots is sort of strange. :s (At least the 14-year-olds act their age as opposed to Amuro Ray who acted like he was at most 12. :P)

Err-- Speaking of Amuro Ray! A slap! Haha, the Gundam comparisons shall continue~ Shinji's father sacrifed to save her, so I understand how she can be so protective of him. It was actually kind of touching. She was deeply affected by that, even if she doesn't seem capable of that kind of respect or even love on the outside.

She's not completely indifferent to everything as the awkward scene would suggest. I don't know if it completely justifies the awkward scene, but at least it gives it meaning.

I am so tired of girls who go out of their way to accuse boys of sexual perversion and physically abuse them. It's just cruel to abuse many boys' gentility to not hit back. Girls who do this are almost more prevalent in anime than IRL for the purpose of adding some cheap humor. =_= Rei is a refreshing female character in this.

Given all this, I'm still not comfortable with it. An awkward scene with meaning is still an awkward scene.
CathedralJul 3, 2013 4:55 PM
Sep 14, 2013 3:46 AM

Apr 2013
Shinji has the right to hate his father. And wtf was that slap for ? :S
Oct 2, 2013 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
Smooth moves, Shinji.
This episode was better than the last one, and I agree with the post above, that slap came out of nowhere lol.
Oct 30, 2013 10:03 PM

Oct 2013
That slap to Shinji XD And the part where Rei was naked and that O_O
Dec 16, 2013 12:55 PM

Dec 2012
ah, the ol' trip-and-grope.
Dec 20, 2013 8:50 PM

Aug 2007
I feel bad for Shinji...
He's piloting a robot he wants little to do with and is reminded daily that his dad doesn't treat him as a proper son. On top of that, it must seem confusing that he treats Rei so well instead of his dad being overall cold and uncaring.

Dec 21, 2013 10:04 PM

Jan 2013
Way to keep eye contact Shinji! Though he was totally feeling her boob.

I wonder why the Ava (sp?) is acting so weird. I hope Shinji is okay :(

I feel like Rei has this type of negative feed back loop going. She only respects Shinji's dad because he saved her but if he hadn't put her in this situation to begin with then she wouldn't like him so much.
Jan 3, 2014 4:39 AM

Jul 2013
Rei, Shinji and some service...
A hole on chest...Now, Eva 1 turned into a hollow
Feb 16, 2014 12:09 AM

Oct 2013
man he got shot down pretty quick
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 3:32 AM

Aug 2013
I would have slapped Rei back lol. Can't blame Shinji for not trusting his father. I wouldn't be surprised if he hates him even more now after seeing how close his dad is to Rei, while treating his own son like crap.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 6, 2014 8:19 PM

Dec 2013
davidfresh said:
ah, the ol' trip-and-grope.

exactly. Seen it a million times used for humor, but this time it was just painfully strait up awkward. I don't see it as a parody, more a deconstruction of this whole trope. It does reveal something about both of them. The way Shinji looked at his hand I bet he's never felt a woman's breast before. Meanwhile Rei doesn't have the same views on modesty as the average girl.

The Shinji's dad Rei relationship is a little... creepy. Why is he so cold towards Shinji?
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 20, 2014 12:20 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Rei slapping Shinji, gasp.

What I thought of Rei slapping him:

Shinji: Why did you slap me, Rei?
Rei: That was for fondling my breast at my apartment.

I kind of feel bad for Shinji because his father is nicer and caring towards Rei, and cold towards Shinji.

May 2, 2014 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
What an awkward episode. When Shinji grasped Rei's breast, I could of sworn it was turning into a fucking hentai or something lol. That slap though, haha! Must've hurt like hell. Episode was alright, just a little slow. Hopefully next one is better!
May 6, 2014 12:53 PM

Nov 2012
Ah, the classic Japanese boob grab. God that was awkward.
I dislike cuteness, moe, lolis, romance, romantic comedies, slice of life, ecchi, harem, waifus and fan-service.
May 20, 2014 10:05 AM
Jan 2012
Awkward episode indeed. I didn't like that scene of Rei slapping Shinji in the face. I get it, you like his father, but Shinji does have his reasons to not trust him, since he treats his son like crap (while at the same time, he treats Rei quite nicely). Also, the breast grabbing scene was so stupid and unnecessary.
May 31, 2014 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
That was certainly different. No comedy related to the boob grab? Sheesh, Evangelion keeps surprising me.
Jun 1, 2014 8:12 AM

Aug 2013
Im not really sure how i feel about Rei's personality. She seems pretty much dead inside with no emotion what so ever.

The situation with her and Shinji was pretty funny though.

I feel like Shinji should of blocked the slap, seeing how she didn't really have a right to slap him when he talks ill of his own father. I figure he must know him better then she does. I'm sure its just because shes grateful for him saving her.
My Candies:
Jun 17, 2014 11:00 PM

Aug 2013
Iolo said:

I feel like Shinji should of blocked the slap, seeing how she didn't really have a right to slap him when he talks ill of his own father. I figure he must know him better then she does. I'm sure its just because shes grateful for him saving her.

That could be debated seeing as Shinji hasn't seen his father for some years at this point. Who knows what has transpired with Rei beyond what we were shown in the show. Could be argued either way.

I personally really like the Rei x Shinji dynamic. They are both non-normative characters so its nice to see them try and dialogue....or at least Shinji trying to converse.

If Rei's memory was wiped then why is she having some sort of mental breakdown when she enters the EVA? Originally, Shinji too seemed to have a breakdown when he tried to pilot the EVA. Perhaps there is something about piloting a (potentially living) giant robot? Its probably much deeper than that.
Jun 18, 2014 9:36 AM

Jan 2014
Eva is getting to be hard to watch...

That scene with Shinji x Rei was so awkward, lol. But it maintained same tough atmosphere, really something unique.

Good episode.
Jul 6, 2014 2:43 PM

Jun 2014
derelictparadise said:
Iolo said:

That could be debated seeing as Shinji hasn't seen his father for some years at this point. Who knows what has transpired with Rei beyond what we were shown in the show. Could be argued either way.

I personally really like the Rei x Shinji dynamic. They are both non-normative characters so its nice to see them try and dialogue....or at least Shinji trying to converse.

If Rei's memory was wiped then why is she having some sort of mental breakdown when she enters the EVA? Originally, Shinji too seemed to have a breakdown when he tried to pilot the EVA. Perhaps there is something about piloting a (potentially living) giant robot? Its probably much deeper than that.

I think rei knows his dad better than him, but it don't think she has the right to slap him. Even if he cares more about her than his own son, witch it seems like, he's still SHINJIS dad, not hers.

Oddly, even though people call shinji a horrible character and whiny, I don't hate him at all. I actually feel sort of bad for him, but I think it's frustrating having him be the protagonist because of his lack of nerve.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 9, 2014 10:56 AM

Sep 2013
Shinji isn't nearly as bad as Takumi from Chaos;Head, at this moment. His lack of NERV is at least reasonable.

I feel as if Ikari is purposely trying to make Shinji go insane just because it's actually working, but probably not.
Aug 3, 2014 4:31 PM

Oct 2009
Ah, Ramiel, you're the best.
Aug 27, 2014 9:00 PM

Jun 2014
Shinji have a reason to hate his father, Rei is a bitch for that slap.
Sep 3, 2014 4:58 PM

Mar 2013
Finally got a chance to start watching this anime. Not gonna lie, I'm really enjoying it. And this is coming from a person who hardly watches any mecha anime.

I find it really strange that Gendo is treating Shinji differently compared to Rei Ayanami. Rei's completely ruthless. I don't care whether she's emotionless, I think she's pretty cool. I don't think that will be the last slap Shinji will be receiving. On a sidenote, I wonder why Gendo abandoned Shinji when he was younger.
Oct 19, 2014 4:36 AM
Aug 2014
Excell said:
Finally got a chance to start watching this anime. Not gonna lie, I'm really enjoying it. And this is coming from a person who hardly watches any mecha anime.

I find it really strange that Gendo is treating Shinji differently compared to Rei Ayanami. Rei's completely ruthless. I don't care whether she's emotionless, I think she's pretty cool. I don't think that will be the last slap Shinji will be receiving. On a sidenote, I wonder why Gendo abandoned Shinji when he was younger.

I think it was because of gendo's work
That might be why he abandoned him
Click it click it right now and something amazing will happen even i shit myself every time i click it
CLICK ME !!!
Nov 1, 2014 1:55 AM
Apr 2013
That was intensely stupid, worthy of some of the worst harem/ecchi shows out there
Nov 4, 2014 12:19 PM

Nov 2013
I feel like the ending sequence is going to go against whatever the episode ends on lol. Feels almost out of place.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
11 hours ago

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

70 by darrenduckyyy »»
Apr 21, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

264 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 21, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

194 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 19, 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.