Forum Settings
Forums

Why in a lot of animes female seiyuu voice male characters?

New
Apr 22, 2009 3:25 PM

Apr 2009
Sometimes they voice childish charcters or kids, that would be OK.
But for other male characters, a male seiyuu would be better ne?
Apr 22, 2009 3:35 PM

May 2008
Do you actually notice that male characters have female voices? I don't recall it ever being an issue for me, so I just don't care.

Apr 22, 2009 3:39 PM

Sep 2008
It's all preference and availability per say on behalf of the staff that's working on a certain anime. Sure, a lot of people think "Because the character's a guy, it should be voiced by a guy" then again there are also lots of female seiyuus good enough to play the parts required. This is way out of context, sort of, but isn't it also a fact that there's more women out there than men. How about that? =/
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 22, 2009 3:54 PM

Dec 2007
Because sometimes the tone required is easily achieved by a female and there are more females in the business.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 22, 2009 3:55 PM

Jan 2009
Because in Japan, the men are the women and the women are the men.
Apr 22, 2009 4:11 PM

Feb 2005
Rail_Man said:
See also: Futanari.
And some prettyboy characters might need a feminine voice.
Apr 22, 2009 4:15 PM
Mar 2009
Most male characters in anime are pretty feminine.
So, a female seiyuu would fit better I guess?
Apr 22, 2009 4:18 PM

Aug 2008
Blossomse said:

I don't necessarily agree with that. I mean, Edward Elric. Compare Vic to Romi. I know, two different countries, but when I first saw FMA in Japanese, I thought his voice sounded waaayyy too feminine.
Apr 22, 2009 4:28 PM

Aug 2008
tophat56 said:
Blossomse said:

I don't necessarily agree with that. I mean, Edward Elric. Compare Vic to Romi. I know, two different countries, but when I first saw FMA in Japanese, I thought his voice sounded waaayyy too feminine.

Same with Luffy from One Piece.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Apr 22, 2009 4:42 PM

Jul 2007
tophat56 said:
Blossomse said:

Both voices fit the character's essence well enough. I enjoyed Vic greatly as Ed when I watched the first series on Adult Swim, but I'm also really enjoying Paku-san in Brotherhood.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 22, 2009 4:48 PM
Oct 2008
Yeah sometimes a female seiyuu is needed to get a certain tone qualitiy though honestly for some characters they could get a male seiyuu to do it.

This isn't just a practice done in anime or in Japan. Many cartoons have young male characters and children that are voice by female voice actors unless they can actually get a child. The only risk with that is if it's a long running series, than their voice might change.

A good example of this would be Alphonse Elrics's english voice actor who no longer sounds the same as he did when it was first released in the US.
Apr 22, 2009 5:41 PM

Jun 2008
It's for the consistency adult women voices have already finished developing, getting young males to voice their young male counterparts is risky, because there voices will change and they won't be able to pull off the same voice.
Apr 22, 2009 5:52 PM

Apr 2008
Halo_s_Maze said:
It's for the consistency adult women voices have already finished developing, getting young males to voice their young male counterparts is risky, because there voices will change and they won't be able to pull off the same voice.
I think this is on of the biggest factors. Young males sometimes have more girly voices and women can pull that off. While a young man can also pull it off, his voice can change at any time and it's a huge risk. It's not like they're going to castrate guys to keep their voices the same. (I think they did that in choirs or something, sometime ago in Europe. I'm too lazy to go look it up right now.)
Apr 23, 2009 6:15 AM

Jul 2007
In the USA, a the majority of actors are female (it's probably only about 60-40, but a majority nonetheless). I don't know if it's the same in Japan, but if it is that could be a factor.

oh, these little earthquakes
Apr 23, 2009 7:29 AM

May 2008
Because for a country that sure likes to talk about womanly and manly a whole heck of a lot, they have surprisingly grey gender distinctions in many ways.

Moe and "kawaii" culture have had a large impact on Japan as well. Especially within anime and manga.
(it's TOTALLY okey to say moe in the middle of an English sentence in the west, but saying kawaii is taboo, even though cute may not be a perfect translation, that TOTALLY makes sense, lulz).

And as if full grown women don't sound like little boys to begin with.
Little boys sound like adult women. So it's not like it matters. To be honest, when I first listened to Gauge Means Nothing I thought it's female vocalist was a young boy. And that it was done to depict the desperateness, troubles, and sadness of Japanese young living in Japan. But I was wrong, it was in fact a woman. Who interestingly enough in relation to my misconception, has stated her career movement has to to write children's books. And their myspace lists children's songs as an influence.

What can I say, most things that we consider childlike, are also something that can be considered androgynous as well.:O

And as if Japan doesn't already have an age old fascination with crossdressing to begin with. Just look at Kabuki. Men play men, and men play women. In anime and manga dubs, women play men, and women play women. It's no big deal for Japan it seems. For a country so sexist and often as homophobic as Japan, they've got their surprising open areas. In ways that often different from other countries. You could say they're more open minded than some countries in some ways, in more closed minded than others in other ways.

One thing it appears Japan is not afraid about, is women portraying men and men portraying women.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 23, 2009 7:31 AM

Apr 2009
because it's sexy in a weird way.
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
Apr 23, 2009 7:32 AM

May 2008
tentacle_raep said:
because it's sexy in a weird way.

That too.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 23, 2009 10:57 AM

Nov 2007
tophat56 said:
Blossomse said:

And when I heard Vic as Ed, I thought he didn't sound young enough. I suppose you're used to the voice you hear first.

Some male characters are girly so their voices suit them. Also, some female seiyuu can pull of very masculine voices. Sometimes it's really weird.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Apr 23, 2009 1:56 PM

Oct 2008
Amaya-no-Hime said:
Some male characters are girly so their voices suit them. Also, some female seiyuu can pull of very masculine voices. Sometimes it's really weird.

Kenshin and Goku? They aren't exactly a pair of punks. I know you said some, but those two are the representatives for the "Why Females Shouldn't Do Male Voices" club.

I don't exactly know what a pre-puberty Japanese boy sounds like, but I doubt he sounds like a high-pitched girl. I mean, male seiyuu are professionals and if one can't get the little boy voice done then hire a male who can.

Though, there are a few females that can actually sound like a genuine male, but many can't and shouldn't.
Kid_at_HartApr 23, 2009 2:01 PM
Apr 23, 2009 3:11 PM

Mar 2009
MackDaddyHart said:

Kenshin and Goku? They aren't exactly a pair of punks. I know you said some, but those two are the representatives for the "Why Females Shouldn't Do Male Voices" club.

In my opinion, Mayo Suzukaze did a great job as the seiyuu for Kenshin (in the OVAs, at least, the series voice wasn't that great).

Anyways, like other people have said; some male characters in an anime need a more feminine voice, although the reasons aren't always so clear as to why that should be. I guess with them having a different tone/higher pitch in their voice also makes that character unique?
Sep 5, 2009 2:27 PM

Apr 2008
I believe a director said, when exploying THE Nozawa Masako, that they can't get child actors and a female's voice is CLOSEST to a boy's voice. I thought it was self-explanatory, no brainer. All female actors around the world do young males, sometimes older like Ogata Megumi's Sanada Yukimuraa and of course there's Kenshin.

but this discussion has developed in an interesting way and you all have nice opinions.
Sep 5, 2009 7:42 PM

Jan 2009
Naruto english voice actor is a girl and the old pokemon dub is a girl as well I didnt take notice until I seen a couple of interviews.
Sep 5, 2009 8:21 PM

Mar 2009
Baman said:
Rail_Man said:
See also: Futanari.
And some prettyboy characters might need a feminine voice.

Lol owned.
Sep 5, 2009 8:52 PM

Mar 2008
coz the female voice actor have a decent voice & can be used to speak the "pretty boy" sound ^.^
Sep 6, 2009 6:40 AM

Mar 2009
Usually for really small boys, they would use female seiyuu, but it depends. Sometimes a female's voice happens to work better or fit the character better.
Sep 6, 2009 6:56 AM
Sep 2007
Romi Paku.
Sep 6, 2009 7:48 AM

May 2009
I reckon it's because there are many more female seiyuu than male, and also, in most anime, the characters are in their teens, and a 20+ year old male can't really voice a 15/16 year old boy, whereas females of the same age will likely have a similar tone of voice.
Sep 6, 2009 9:30 AM

Sep 2008
Well first of all, Males who have gone through puberty can't sound like little boys anymore.

Second of all, Using a teenager would be hard because he lacks formal training, As he hasn't been through college yet, you don't just wake up one day and decide to be a voice actor, there is alot of training you have to go through and just general
experience.

3rd, The quality would be bad, if they used a teenage boy his voice would probably crack.

4th, Child Labor laws, a teenager can't work as long as an adult, so it would slow down the entire production.

5th, Questionable content, If it's a mature title you can't have some one working on it is if they are under 18, unless you want child services crawling up your ass.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Sep 6, 2009 9:36 AM

Feb 2009
Mjaut said:
Romi Paku.

Shes Awesome *_*

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

54 by DesolatePsyche »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

128 by DesolatePsyche »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Yesterday

36 by perseii »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 8 hours ago

9 by traed »»
54 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 3 hours ago

10 by iThink »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.