Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2009 1:18 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Manga Faithful so far.

Rose's design 100% faithful to manga.
Animation quality is still great.
Ed is as always awesome.
Loved the backgrounds of Church interior.
Rose got a bit bigger role than in manga

Chimera Looked a lot more baddass this time.
AS well as Ed/chimera fight, which was awesomely animated and Ed's expressions were just awesome.
'The door escape' was pure LOL , just as it was needed to be.
"Rooftop view" had an awesome design.

Too bad they did not use the

Although Hulk-Cornellio was a great addition to the fight. Sad to not see "statue falling" though.

NExt Ep = bawsome stuff Nina
AhenshihaelApr 19, 2009 1:21 AM
Apr 19, 2009 1:35 AM

Oct 2008
Episode number 3... OH RIGHT!! That was suppose to air in Japan on Sunday which I suppose it just finished airing now! Japan's timezone is 14 hours or so ahead of America right?

Anyway I haven't seen it yet, and I'm gonna wait till it premieres on the funimation website. I dont mind the way but when I found it weird that Rose's skin is lighter, when I saw the preview for episode 3. Not bad, just weird, I haven't read much of the manga yet, but I'm guessing that's suppose to be her skin color.

Anyway I know I got my eyes set on that episode! He he,... can't wait!
Apr 19, 2009 1:42 AM

Jul 2007
Hypeathon said:
I dont mind the way but when I found it weird that Rose's skin is lighter, when I saw the preview for episode 3.

Since Lior/Reole is in the middle of mountains in manga and FMA2(and not in the middle of desert like in FMA1), Rose has no reason to have a dark skin.
Apr 19, 2009 1:51 AM

Jul 2008
- They condensed it pretty nicely. It's a bit rushed, but I really don't mind. I was never too fond of Lior.

- But, what the hell was going on with all the splitscreen? That looked so lame. DDDDD:

- I like how Ed's evil side is more prominent.

- Brief Riza and the rest of the gang in preview yay! Looks like it's the Nina episode.

- Cornello went all hulk on Edward. What.

- Pretty decent episode so far. I'm looking forward to when they start dealing with stuff the previous anime didn't cover at all.

BEGINNER
Apr 19, 2009 1:54 AM

Jul 2007
adamantine said:
- They condensed it pretty nicely. It's a bit rushed, but I really don't mind. I was never too fond of Lior.

Well, going by the manga, they actually EXPANDED the Lior, instead of rushing it. ;]
Apr 19, 2009 1:58 AM

Jul 2008
Fai said:
adamantine said:

Well, going by the manga, they actually EXPANDED the Lior, instead of rushing it. ;]

They do cut out random bits (lie Rose going in Ed's armour, Edward not animating the statue) but I guess what I mean is that is goes by so quickly as you watch it.

BEGINNER
Apr 19, 2009 2:26 AM

Oct 2008
Fai said:
Hypeathon said:
I dont mind the way but when I found it weird that Rose's skin is lighter, when I saw the preview for episode 3.

Since Lior/Reole is in the middle of mountains in manga and FMA2(and not in the middle of desert like in FMA1), Rose has no reason to have a dark skin.

I don't get it. How is there suppose to be a difference between having different skin color whether Lior is at the desert or the mountain regions.?
Apr 19, 2009 2:42 AM

Jul 2007
Hypeathon said:

I don't get it. How is there suppose to be a difference between having different skin color whether Lior is at the desert or the mountain regions.?

Different atmospheric protection. Basically , the "dark skin" in genes appears only because your predecessors lived in the places with low sun protection.

Melanin comes in two types: pheomelanin (red) and eumelanin (very dark brown). Both amount and type are determined by four to six genes which operate under incomplete dominance. One copy of each of those genes is inherited from each parent. Each gene comes in several alleles, resulting in the great variety of different skin tones.

Basically sun intensity stimulates the generation of this pigment. The amounts of pigment generated become genetically-inherited after few generations of living in the same sun-intensity conditions.

Mountain zone has a more "wet conditions", with clouds, etc, good protection from sun. Lesser Sun-intensity, thus less need for "protection", thus lesser pigment generation.
Desert zones are "dry", less clouds, higher sun intensity affecting the pigmentation of skin.
Apr 19, 2009 3:25 AM
Jul 2018
Now it's starting at the first manga's arcs. It's really very close to the original and I like this series so far.
Apr 19, 2009 4:32 AM

Mar 2008
I found it bit too rushed as well..probably because of the way they cut one scene to another.
Also, wondering how the cut of statue falling would affect the series as I thought it had a brief but rather important moment later on in manga(not gonna discuss that in here though)....
Apr 19, 2009 6:59 AM

Jul 2008
First things first:

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

What would I do without that eyecatch?

I guess I'm going to echo the sentiments of the above and say I felt it was a little rushed, but even so I'm not sure I care. I'm absolutely elated the animation quality is so far appearing to continue being top notch. I've also gotta say that I'm loving the way the characters are so animated with the over-the-top comedic flare still. The series definitely needs it, and it certainly adds another layer of complexity to the show. In particular as Fai said, the door scene while they escaped with Rose was pure hilarity.

For the actual episode itself, as I said I'm not so sure I care that it was rushed. I am fairly sure that I'll be feeling it on the next episode with Nina and Shou, but there is a lot more ground to cover this season. So sadly, it appears some of the earlier relationships the brothers build won't necessarily get the screentime and development they deserve. Ah well.

All-in-all, I enjoyed it quite a fair bit. After still just semi-recently coming off Clannad, I still hear Sanae in Lust's voice. I'll say this much; it's still damned weird.
BakayaroApr 19, 2009 7:02 AM

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 19, 2009 7:38 AM

Jun 2008
Awesome. I really enjoyed it.
Apr 19, 2009 8:11 AM

Nov 2008
Ehhh... it rushed through a plotline that could've taken 2 episodes. But I guess they just wanted to get it over with.

Oh, and Shinsen had an error in their subs .They said Ed lost his left arm but he actually gave up his right arm.
Apr 19, 2009 8:12 AM

Dec 2007
Great episode, the mix of comedy and the darker themes was just perfect
Apr 19, 2009 8:17 AM

Jul 2007
FlashFumo said:
Ehhh... it rushed through a plotline that could've taken 2 episodes. But I guess they just wanted to get it over with.

Well, as I said, going just by the manga, Lior could be done in half an episode, actually. So no, it was not rushed, it was stretched out, even.
Apr 19, 2009 9:09 AM

Jan 2009
Subs are already out even on streaming sites. (anime season). I liked how they did Lior better this time than FMA1. Quicker, and the priest transformed himself into that beast, which looked sweet.

The only thing i dodn't like was Gluttney's new voice, that was better in FMA1
Apr 19, 2009 9:17 AM

Oct 2008
Fai said:
Hypeathon said:

Different atmospheric protection. Basically , the "dark skin" in genes appears only because your predecessors lived in the places with low sun protection.

Melanin comes in two types: pheomelanin (red) and eumelanin (very dark brown). Both amount and type are determined by four to six genes which operate under incomplete dominance. One copy of each of those genes is inherited from each parent. Each gene comes in several alleles, resulting in the great variety of different skin tones.

Basically sun intensity stimulates the generation of this pigment. The amounts of pigment generated become genetically-inherited after few generations of living in the same sun-intensity conditions.

Mountain zone has a more "wet conditions", with clouds, etc, good protection from sun. Lesser Sun-intensity, thus less need for "protection", thus lesser pigment generation.
Desert zones are "dry", less clouds, higher sun intensity affecting the pigmentation of skin.

Aaaahhh, okay! Thnx, that makes a lot of sense! Very informative too. So wait, the manga artist of Full metal Alchemist knew all of that when creating Rose and Lior?! O_O;
Apr 19, 2009 9:18 AM

May 2007
Glad they did the Lior stuff in one episode.

Let's keep moving along. :)
Apr 19, 2009 9:32 AM

May 2008
Great episode. I really enjoyed it and the comedy moments are awesome.
Looking forward to next episode now.
Apr 19, 2009 9:48 AM

Feb 2008
This episode was nice. They didn't have to expand it. The scene with Rose in Al and the statue transmuting thing would be better than the Hulk scene and Rose shooting Al. I mean, this was supposed to follow the manga, and if they skip scenes from the manga and add original anime scenes, it will turn out like the old FMA

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 19, 2009 9:53 AM

Apr 2008
FlashFumo said:
Oh, and Shinsen had an error in their subs .They said Ed lost his left arm but he actually gave up his right arm.

The anime messed up as well. :P

Apr 19, 2009 10:19 AM

Jan 2008
I was a bit sad because they didn't use the bird-man AKA Rose's lover...
Anyway I really liked this episode and overall it's really good.
Apr 19, 2009 10:20 AM

Jan 2009
Awesome ep. I think it's got a great balance of comedy and serious parts. like that bit at the end with lust and gluttony.

Apr 19, 2009 10:21 AM
Apr 2008
I kinda hope they would drag it out another episode i dont wanna see
Apr 19, 2009 10:31 AM

Feb 2009
Nice one it is good be done in one episode.That chimera was really kick ass.Gluttony s new voice is kinda different but I think it is because he is gonna talk a lot.But there is something in my mind.

FMA manga Chapter 82

Apr 19, 2009 10:41 AM
Jul 2008
Rosa with a gun and Hulk-Cornellio was ridiculess..the rest was awesome
Apr 19, 2009 10:45 AM

Aug 2008
If it were expanded, I don't think it was necessary. The Lior arc was always boring, and was the main reason why I didn't get into the show quicker when I was in high school. So, even though they cut it down, because of the weird pacing and the bad transitions between action and comedy, this was just an ok episode for me.

And that eyecatch is really annoying me:(
Apr 19, 2009 10:49 AM

Sep 2008
Ed's evil side was funny xD

Apr 19, 2009 11:04 AM

Jan 2008
chaostrik3r said:
I kinda hope they would drag it out another episode i dont wanna see

I will cry on that part... AGAIN!
XD
Apr 19, 2009 11:05 AM

Feb 2009
whoa, this was pretty good one.
I really enjoyed this, animator did a good job on both comedy and dramatic aspect.
Last scene with Rose totally gave me thrills(i <3 music during this).

Anyway, i'm looking forward the next one :)
Apr 19, 2009 11:06 AM

Apr 2008
I loved Ed talking about the wax wings that melted... That was pretty evil.
Though overall it was a good episode. I still felt like it missed something. Kinda stupid that they didn't use the walking statue...

I can't wait to see manga material I haven't seen in the first anime.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Apr 19, 2009 11:15 AM

Feb 2008
So far this series has been a real letdown. First we have the weird pacing and then we have that Soul Eater ish comedy, which barely works with me (at least on this show). Hope things actually improve, or else this is just going to be another Shippuuden, where I have to force myself to watch it.
Apr 19, 2009 11:19 AM

Feb 2009
That episode was pretty good :)! I hope the can pull of the Nina part as good as they did in the first season, or even better if possible!
Apr 19, 2009 11:35 AM

Apr 2008
This was enjoyable. The action scenes were good though I disliked how they transitioned into comedy the way they did. The discussion of alchemy and religion was interesting and Rose slowly coming to grips with the notion that the dead cannot be brought back was as touching as it was the first time through. That said, I'm glad the Lior part is finished and I'm looking forward to what was one of my favorite parts of the original series, sad though it may be.
Apr 19, 2009 11:37 AM

Sep 2008
started laughing at cornelio supersized.
"Now THAT didnt happen in the manga, lol"

the comedy was nice to me, but could use a bit of balance throughout the episode instead of one after another. facial expressions really fit with the manga (really like rose's expressions)
felt like everything was moving fast, but that couldnt be helped cause the lior plot was supposed to be the opening of the series. since it doesnt have that purpose anymore, the pacing could go faster.

like i said in previous threads, gotta wait a few episodes for the pacing to stabilize for everything to flow more better, so the beginning episodes (~5eps) will be iffy.

and also, that left hand error was really surprising.

mariatea said:

probably are. since its something that could be removed and wont effect the story. mostly served as introduction to hughes, and hes already introduced in the beginning.
atruong18Apr 19, 2009 11:41 AM
Apr 19, 2009 11:57 AM
Aug 2008
Aoikokoro said:
FlashFumo said:

I wanted to bring that up as well :)

btw, I've never really liked Rose... not in the orginal FMA anime not in this one either...
Apr 19, 2009 12:02 PM

Jan 2008
I enjoyed the episode and I'm glad that they didn't strech Leor into 2 episodes 'coz it's not my favourite part of the story xD
and Rose really looked odd with that pale skin... guess I'm too used to the original |:
the left hand error was kinda surprising tho >_>
We're all insane
Apr 19, 2009 12:05 PM

Apr 2007
Plenty of laughs to be had in this version of the series so far!

I think Shinsen's use of "fucking" was a bit inappropriate too...was his language that harsh in Japanese?
BlazinglukeApr 19, 2009 12:26 PM

Apr 19, 2009 12:14 PM

Dec 2007
Aoikokoro said:
FlashFumo said:

it was a reflection in Rosa's eyes. but subs really messed up, though audio was ok.

nice pace! if they manage to pack a whole a Tucker story into one episode, it will be awesome!
Apr 19, 2009 12:15 PM

Jul 2007
atruong18 said:
started laughing at cornelio supersized.
"Now THAT didnt happen in the manga, lol"

Actually it was....

as comedy omake/remake of "cornelio/lust/gluttony" scene(where Gluttony goes on to eat him, but Cornelio goes all hulk)included in latter manga volumes..

:)
Apr 19, 2009 1:06 PM

Aug 2007
Yey lets rewatch FMA 1 >.< nothing new so far so not that great.
Apr 19, 2009 1:10 PM

Dec 2008
Very nice episode, I never liked this arc when I watched the first anime...it seemed too long and a bit pointless, so the pace this time is perfect :D I love the random humour, everything was just so cute and funny. I don't think we will ever get sick of seeing Ed being teased about his height XD

Somehow, the atmosphere of the humourous moments is much more "cheerful and carefree" in comparison (I'm trying my best not to compare too much!) to the first anime. Makes sense though, since I've been getting a sense of consensus on how the first anime is more dramatic :P

I love the detail of Ed's automail...damn he looks so much cooler (and hotter) than I remembered, the scars added a nice touch, much more realistic. Other parts I liked include the much "cooler" looking chimera, the variety of music, Rose is much more likable (I really didn't like her before), and that moment at the end when Ed got emotional at what Rose said....the art was just stunning then, you can really see the pain in his eyes

I'm curious, to the people who are watching this with subs, which group are you following? I dropped GSS last week and picked up Shinsen instead. I was so bothered by the fact that everytime Al called Ed "nii-san", GSS blatantly translate it to "Ed"...I mean come on! Plus there were a few random mistakes that is avoidable. I chose Shinsen because they seem to be the most reliable, I've followed them for a while now for several series.....but a couple of posts above shows dissatisfaction? Any idea on all of the subbers? What are the opinions?

robbydesuApr 19, 2009 1:14 PM
Apr 19, 2009 1:23 PM

Nov 2008
adamantine said:
Fai said:
adamantine said:

They do cut out random bits (lie Rose going in Ed's armour, Edward not animating the statue) but I guess what I mean is that is goes by so quickly as you watch it.

I think they rushed it....this new Lior wasnt that much more manga like than in original fma anime(where was that falling statue and Rose inside Al's armor!...sad i would hoped, that this season would have followed manga...stupid me.

Episode was good, but it lacks that epicness that first fma had and still have, because this feels so RUSHED! Could they just take their time? Fma 1 was better...i hope later they stop rushing.

Ps. loved when Ed showed his metal arm :D.

Edit: OH are they skipping rain hijacking!!!! Stupid...i liked that so much in manga...if they rush next episode i drop this... i dont want to see favorite parts rushed(liked Nina)
OxuApr 19, 2009 1:33 PM
Apr 19, 2009 1:30 PM
Jul 2008
I'm really hating the drop into sketchy animation for comedic moments. In other series I wouldn't mind it that much, but there's such a gigantic difference in the production quality between the amazingly animated normal scenes and the badly animated comedy scenes that it's really jarring. That, and I think the animation quality is beginning to drop in general.

Still having some issues with the weird pacing, but since we're moving through the original series so fast, I'm hoping they'll clear up once they get to significantly different material. I really hope the next episode is well paced. Nina was one of the most powerful parts of the last series, and I'd hate for it to feel rushed.
Apr 19, 2009 1:31 PM

Jul 2008
dont know if this because of the rewatch but this episode wasnt that great.
if i remembered right it took in the first season 2 epis. and when i see nina i already know what would happen~~, it would be better if i didnt watch the 1st season.

Apr 19, 2009 1:34 PM

Dec 2008
I'm glad they did it in one episode, I hope the rest of the arcs are like that, apart from the arcs we haven't seen in Season 1.

Keep it up!

Ooh~ The next arc has always freaked me out lol.

~Abs
Apr 19, 2009 1:37 PM

Jul 2007
Aoikokoro said:
FlashFumo said:

That's Ed's reflection on Rose's eye. So its animated correctly.
Apr 19, 2009 2:06 PM

Aug 2007
It looks like it's his left arm to me... other than that, echoing what people said about the pacing being fast but i didn't mind too much, should get better soon
Apr 19, 2009 2:14 PM

Nov 2008
shadowraze said:
It looks like it's his left arm to me... other than that, echoing what people said about the pacing being fast but i didn't mind too much, should get better soon

I realy realy hope so. Dont like this "naah they already saw this, we can just skip it" attitude.
Apr 19, 2009 2:23 PM

Apr 2009
pretty nice episode =)
i liked the humour )) though its boring already with the same moment in every episode *_*
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.