Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 12, 2009 4:53 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Me liked a lot this episode for action. Learn more about Sharnid situation with Diin Dii in past. Match was crazy, first normal fight then Haia join because guardian show up.

Then all mess! Me very sad at end. Why Diin, why? Me might never know really. He could not talk in his last moments.

My favorite! I call it one shot ippon!

Part where I T_T and :(
Apr 12, 2009 3:26 PM

Sep 2007
Eh...
This episode opened up a lot more information about the plot, but I was kind of offset by the 3-second battles that ended pretty quickly. xD

Otherwise, the next episode preview makes me want to watch it badly, due to the chibi Nina and Felli:

Damnit! Don't die without my permission!
Apr 12, 2009 5:25 PM
Jul 2008
Great fighting scene, even though the fight lasted like 20 seconds.
Very sad ending
QuickfoxApr 12, 2009 11:46 PM
Apr 12, 2009 7:48 PM
Apr 2009
I cracked up when my expectation of an epic sword v. katana fight was ruined in 3 seconds... One hit KOs are cheap. >.>

I am guessing Din's kei-veins are broken and he is unable to fight. So that is why it is over for him and that is why his resolve broke. Especially with the confession/rejection "I loved you" lol... Two hits to his heart eh.

I wonder who the Queen was referring to by "no one can stop them" when she was talking to Leerin.

Apr 12, 2009 8:00 PM

Aug 2008
It's a shame that this show has to be so wishy washy on giving us any straight facts on anything. No one is ever in the know about everything, leaving me as a viewer very confused about almost every single plot point. I'm still just not getting what the big picture is supposed to be and we're half way through this.
Apr 12, 2009 8:03 PM

Jan 2009
eschiver said:
I cracked up when my expectation of an epic sword v. katana fight was ruined in 3 seconds... One hit KOs are cheap. >.>

I agree 100%...Was like that's it...???

The queen's an odd character, so no telling who she's referring to. It's hard to tell if she's actually on the side of Leerin as a friend, or just wants to use her power...
Apr 12, 2009 8:19 PM

Aug 2008
Pretty good episode, even considering the low amount of Felli goodness. Which is kind of a paradox.
But seriously, FonFon is ridiculously overpowered.

noteDhero said:
No one is ever in the know about everything, leaving me as a viewer very confused about almost every single plot point. I'm still just not getting what the big picture is supposed to be and we're half way through this.
It's sad because it's true.

Piroko said:
Otherwise, the next episode preview makes me want to watch it badly, due to the chibi Nina and Felli:
This! I can't wait, it will be tons of fun!

Furthermore, I am of the opinion that all should join the Felli Loss fanclub!
Apr 12, 2009 8:29 PM

Nov 2007
This ep was pretty good, learn more about the characters and what not.
Kind of disappointed on the fight scene with Layfon and the other dude, thought it was going to be an actual battle scene, and not one of those 1hit KO type.
But none the less good ep. Next ep gonna' be a cute one ~
Apr 12, 2009 8:35 PM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
It's a shame that this show has to be so wishy washy on giving us any straight facts on anything. No one is ever in the know about everything, leaving me as a viewer very confused about almost every single plot point. I'm still just not getting what the big picture is supposed to be and we're half way through this.

They going surprise all at end?

DarkDemonz said:
This ep was pretty good, learn more about the characters and what not.
Kind of disappointed on the fight scene with Layfon and the other dude, thought it was going to be an actual battle scene, and not one of those 1hit KO type.
But none the less good ep. Next ep gonna' be a cute one ~

Yes they rush that. :(
Apr 12, 2009 9:11 PM

Jun 2007
Was pretty good. I'm getting the impression that Nena may actually be similar to Din. When she "died" she accepted a living regios fairy's life in order to survive. Unlike a Haikizokou, a living fairy has no motive for revenge or hatred. Nena may also have some kind of special powers that we don't know about yet. I also think Leerin may actually have a Haikizokou in her. That one episode where the lion monster thing came out of her when she wanted to protect her dad looked similar to a Haikizokou's glow. I think the queen knows this and has been personally watching over her to prevent her from going crazy like Din.

Layfon may actually have been banned form the city because of something entirely different from cutting off that assholes arm or doing underground fighting. I really doubt it's because the queen thought of him as a weapon and was mad that he was a loose cannon. It just doesn't seem like a probable reason for banning him.
Apr 12, 2009 9:45 PM

Oct 2007
japanme32 said:
noteDhero said:

Even if it does, it is still a sad thing to see. Just like how I watch Shana for 2 seasons and I still don't know what it is all about.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 12, 2009 10:35 PM

May 2008
eschiver said:

Hahahahahaha.

I too. I was thinking it was going to be some epic battle between Layfon and the other dude, and then he just completely pwns him in one hit. I definitely lol'ed hard.
Apr 12, 2009 11:18 PM

Feb 2008

Perfect example of an animes plot being "thrown in the wind". but I think this show has been doing a good job passing us a few clues and flashbacks while basically adding in filler time. Don't forget we still have 10 to go, and at least 8 of them are gonna be plot based
Apr 12, 2009 11:51 PM

Jan 2008
I don't know why people are getting annoyed at the fact that Layfon is winning all his battles with ease........the guy is a former heavens-blade, a group known for their individuals having superior combat skills. IMO if you take the two other heaven-bladers we've seen from the previous episodes, I'm sure they'll win the same battles Layon has fought just as easy maybe even faster.

I believe the way they've been portraying Layfon's battles has not been to show just how strong he is, but also to show just how powerful a heaven-blader is in general.

Apr 13, 2009 12:03 AM

Jan 2009
Siva said:
japanme32 said:
noteDhero said:

Even if it does, it is still a sad thing to see. Just like how I watch Shana for 2 seasons and I still don't know what it is all about.

Me would be happy for season 2 of this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After seeing this again, Diin and Shena...:( Haia got what he deserved but still battles too short. Must have better ones. Good dialogs also in this one.
japanme32Apr 13, 2009 3:40 AM
Apr 13, 2009 5:41 AM

Dec 2007
decent episode, but I have to agree with what has been previously said, we still don't know what's going on. How will this end? What the hell is the engrish for? I hope they'll wrap up this inter-platoon stuff soon, It's obviously just a joke for the 17th platoon seeing as how they have layfon, and layfon is like the equivalent of Kira Yamato.
Apr 13, 2009 8:23 AM

Jun 2008
To much drama. >.>
Apr 13, 2009 8:52 AM

Jan 2009
too bad that no group is translating Koukaku no Regios: Missing Mail, wich is base for this anime.

this part was so so.
Apr 13, 2009 9:42 AM

Oct 2008
The fight wasn't what I expected, but, I'd rather have them finish it rather than leave hanging in the air for another episode.

Apr 13, 2009 10:18 AM

Feb 2008
An enjoyable episode, though I was hoping the fight would have lasted longer >_>
Apr 13, 2009 10:41 AM

May 2008
-Excellence- said:
I don't know why people are getting annoyed at the fact that Layfon is winning all his battles with ease........the guy is a former heavens-blade, a group known for their individuals having superior combat skills. IMO if you take the two other heaven-bladers we've seen from the previous episodes, I'm sure they'll win the same battles Layon has fought just as easy maybe even faster.

I don't think anyone is annoyed per se or hasn't already realized that. Most of the responses in this thread so far just seem to be expressing amusement. If you don't think it's amusing to see a character who contrasts so exquisitely with the typical anime fighting protagonist (who despite superior skills always has to engage in pointless long drawn out battles or be barely on the edge of winning, etc.), you need to take this series a bit less seriously. ;)
Apr 13, 2009 2:01 PM

May 2008
lol can't wait for next ep :) chibis ftw, the ep, atleast there was some fighting.
Apr 13, 2009 2:30 PM

Sep 2008
Unfortunately I agree with most of the people here.
I just can't see the bigger picture.
I just watched the episode, came to this site to update my watching list, and realized that this is 14th episode, and I still don't have a clue what's the point of this show or main story. I guess it's Layfon and, well, his past and his present.

I actually liked the "fight" between fonfon and that other guy.
It just once again proved that almost no fighter is a match for heavens-blade wielder, even for a former one.
Now I would like to see some story, but seeing how this show proved not to care about it's own development (Nina & Layfon...I just can't forget that...), I don't see how this can turn into something good...

Such a shame, I loved first 3-4 episodes.
Apr 13, 2009 2:53 PM
Apr 2009
The big picture is Layfon's adventures and his relationships in Zuellini and Grendan. What else do you expect? If you want an epic journey, I think you are looking at the wrong show here.

Also it seems that the ultimate conflict is between Grendan and Layfon and the filth monsters. That's the big picture. Simple isn't it?

That is why I hate big pictures. People need to learn to enjoy the details more.
Apr 13, 2009 4:00 PM

Aug 2008
Ok, if the big picture is Layfon's adventures...then he's only technically had one: to the lost city. If it's about his relationships, then barring his relationship with Felli, they're inconsistent (Nina), nonexistent (Sharnid), cliche (every secondary character), or not understandable due to lack of info (everyone from Grendan, except maybe the girl who gets fondled).

What I expect is clear storytelling from a show that is nothing more than your run of the mill "boy with powers and 'hot chicks' around him." But we don't really get that. We get little bits of information about turtle cities and fairies and haikizoku tossed in with bad English that, so far, has not proven to have anything to do with the show centered around a terribly mediocre high school slice of life set up.
Apr 13, 2009 4:16 PM

Jan 2009
more episodes go by more i'm afraid that this will be another great miss as many others animes where they begin changing story from manga.

in manga was told that all happened because of money and when he showed his real face all betrayed him so noone wanted him to stay because they wanted hero not something less. ("all happened because of one misstake")
to bad that there isn't any more translated chapters.
Apr 13, 2009 4:30 PM
Apr 2009
How is his relationship to Nina inconsistent? They hold a co-worker/ leader-soldier relationship. Just because their beliefs are different does not mean it will shatter that type of relation. Also, she already forgave him for his act in the lost regios ep (That was a misunderstanding between them so they made up).

Also, his relation to Sharnid is only as a teammate. They rarely talk except maybe about girls or Felli.

The Bad English parts are not part of the story. They are part of the Prequel to Regios (That is how the world as we know it ended and how humans became reliant on Regios).

What I do agree with is that there are lots of holes. The anime refuses to give the rich backgrounds the light novel includes.

However that is understandable if this anime is not planning on a second season. There are way too many characters to cover in depth in so little time.

What you are complaining about is not the big picture but the details. A plot can be easily summarized; however, the execution of it and the use of details are what makes it great. =P

Please use accurate terminology lest you confuse people like me.

I believe the light novel had too much information that cannot be shown on screen without forcing viewers to read or listen through a history lesson. That is not something the directors may want.

That is why, most novel to movie adaptations suck TBH. The major reason is, you cannot fit details into an anime if the novel is not made for screentime.

One of the most successful light novel to anime adaptations is full metal panic. (However, even that anime lacked many of the great details in the light novel but those details are minor which is a major contrast here. Regios's history is actually very rich and essential).

So that is why, I will probably look forward to Baka-Tsuki's translation of this light novel as a sort of supplement to the anime. It will make understanding certain actions much clearer.

Apr 13, 2009 4:35 PM

Sep 2008
eschiver said:
The big picture is Layfon's adventures and his relationships in Zuellini and Grendan. What else do you expect? If you want an epic journey, I think you are looking at the wrong show here.

Also it seems that the ultimate conflict is between Grendan and Layfon and the filth monsters. That's the big picture. Simple isn't it?

Nope

noteDhero said:
Ok, if the big picture is Layfon's adventures...then he's only technically had one: to the lost city. If it's about his relationships, then barring his relationship with Felli, they're inconsistent (Nina), nonexistent (Sharnid), cliche (every secondary character), or not understandable due to lack of info (everyone from Grendan, except maybe the girl who gets fondled).

What I expect is clear storytelling from a show that is nothing more than your run of the mill "boy with powers and 'hot chicks' around him." But we don't really get that. We get little bits of information about turtle cities and fairies and haikizoku tossed in with bad English that, so far, has not proven to have anything to do with the show centered around a terribly mediocre high school slice of life set up.

This is exactly my opinion. This show has no direction whatsoever. And that bothers me, yes. I did enjoy first 3-4, even up to 7-8 episodes. But than it all started going in circles and repeating same stuff with different characters.

This show had such a great potential to develop characters, AND to develop story, and it started just like that. Nina acting strong, but still just being a naive girl(she still is), Felli being awesome and consistent, and now...now I don't even know any more which character is like what. Nina hates Layfon, she likes Layfon, Nina disagrees with Layfon, Nina forgets, Nina wants Layfon out, Nina forgets, Felli being jealous on Layfon going with another girl, Felli not even getting screen time lately...I guess they need explanation why she will forget everything.

This show is just happen-forget. What's the point?
I do enjoy small stuff, I enjoyed Casshern sins even after 18 episodes of just meeting new people and progressing as slow as turtle, but the characters had consistency. If they developed, there was a reason why, if they had an argument, they remembered it. And that show was FAR away from perfect.

Meh, just another show on my list that turned from great to under average...

It's such a shame to have Felli in this kind of show.
nina4lifeApr 13, 2009 4:38 PM
Apr 13, 2009 5:14 PM

Dec 2007
nina4life said:
It's such a shame to have Felli in this kind of show.

Not to mention that it's such a shame to waste so much time and money on something that had the potential to be great, but instead the show drops the soap and guess what happens. ****ed in the ass.
Apr 13, 2009 5:19 PM

Aug 2008
eschiver said:
How is his relationship to Nina inconsistent? They hold a co-worker/ leader-soldier relationship. Just because their beliefs are different does not mean it will shatter that type of relation. Also, she already forgave him for his act in the lost regios ep (That was a misunderstanding between them so they made up).

They ended that arc with Nina basically saying "You don't understand how much I hate you." If I remember correctly, then the next episode was a filler where she is basically blushing in half jealousy that Layfon is touching Felli so "intimately." Then we get back to this arc where things are like they were before they were in the lost city. That to me is the definition of inconsistent. Does she hate Layfon? Does she see him only as a teammate and not a friend? Does she see him as a friend? Does she have romantic feelings toward him?

What you are complaining about is not the big picture but the details. A plot can be easily summarized; however, the execution of it and the use of details are what makes it great. =P

I'm sorry, but if you believe character relationships and competent direction are details then, besides a lame synopsis, what are detail elements and what are big picture elements. I think big picture elements are charcters, plot, and direction. Details are scene specific happenings, music, pacing within episodes, etc.

What I think is happening is that you are filling in holes because you are previously familiar with the work. For those who aren't this show is grasping at trying to be all things to all people while loosing sight of any of the good elements it contains.
noteDheroApr 13, 2009 5:28 PM
Apr 13, 2009 5:22 PM

May 2008
Agree'd with above ranting, show is falling greatly. I personally loved the strategical battles platoons between, and while it was pretty lacking I hoped for better. Instead we got predicable battles.

Well I hoped for character development. No, we just see Sharnid and whoever-that-blonde-with-crazy-hairstyle-was tossing totally subjective philosophies against each other.

Well at least we go Fe-
Oh wait, her petals tends to appear more often than herself.

For love of god, while I hate dropping shounens this one is getting on my nerves.
Apr 13, 2009 5:31 PM
Apr 2009
Nina hates Layfon, she likes Layfon, Nina disagrees with Layfon, Nina forgets, Nina wants Layfon out, Nina forgets, Felli being jealous on Layfon going with another girl,

Are you an idiot? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu5b69TYrDw&feature=related go to the 8 minute part. Felli tells Nina that Layfon is willing to do anything to survive and protect the person he cherishes. Nina finally understood that Layfon was not GREEDY, so she runs down the elevator. Also when she says she hates Layfon at the end, she means she hates how Layfon is always vague with his words. You can obviously see that if you connect the scene before to this. So, if put in context, Nina makes a lot of sense. I do not see any problems with her character. Nina is a naive honest, knight-type person so she would obviously hate Layfon's white lies.

So noteDhero and nina4life, you're pretty wrong there.

You guys are the ones who are forgetful
eschiverApr 13, 2009 5:42 PM
Apr 13, 2009 5:40 PM

Aug 2008
Look, I don't think that there is any reason for you to call me an idiot. That said, click on the part three from that video set and go to 1:23 mark. She clearly says "I hate you." I thought I was pretty clear in saying that at the end of the episode she says "I hate you." But I suppose you just wanted to try and end the argument thinking I wouldn't go and try to prove my point.

And what about the other points I raised?

Try to be more mature in the discussion forums. Name calling is uncalled for.
Apr 13, 2009 5:45 PM
Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
Look, I don't think that there is any reason for you to call me an idiot. That said, click on the part three from that video set and go to 1:23 mark. She clearly says "I hate you." I thought I was pretty clear in saying that at the end of the episode she says "I hate you." But I suppose you just wanted to try and end the argument thinking I wouldn't go and try to prove my point.

And what about the other points I raised?

Try to be more mature in the discussion forums. Name calling is uncalled for.

I already addressed the "I hate you" part in the previous post.

Also, there are no problems with the big picture as far as I am concerned. The characters' personalities are consistent and the story revolves around happenings in Zuelini so far and the development of Platoon 17.

The details such as the plot pacing and scene specific happenings are what is pretty bad in this anime.

I am not filling in holes technically. I am unfamiliar with the work actually. I have only read the first chapter of the light novel translated by baka-tsuki.

The rest of the background I gathered were mostly about Layfon's past in Grendan and the history of the Regios. But that's the extent of my knowledge.

Also, I don't mean to call you an idiot. Just that you are forgetful or are trying to put words out of context/meaning. No offense intended. >.>
eschiverApr 13, 2009 5:49 PM
Apr 13, 2009 5:58 PM

Sep 2008
noteDhero said:
Look, I don't think that there is any reason for you to call me an idiot..

Don't worry, it was my quote to which he answered by calling me an idiot, not you ;)

btw, about character consistency. I am still trying to find an answer why is fonfon still in 17th platoon. She clearly said she doesn't want him in the team anymore.

What happened to Layfon and that school girl anyway? She was so interested in him, they showed her for a few episodes, only to completely shut her down lately.
What happened to Felli? From one of the main characters to completely irrelevant (in a way, she still does things...kind of...).
What happened, what happened, what happened, what happened, what happened....I hate having so many what happened..
Apr 13, 2009 5:59 PM

Aug 2008
I'm not taking anything out of context. My argument was that Nina is inconsistent in her feelings toward Layfon, and I pointed to those places in particular to prove my point. I think calling Nina forgetful is accurate because from episode to episode, and sometimes scene to scene, her treatment of Layfon is vastly different.

Are their personalities consistent? Yes. Are their interactions growing in any way? No. If this show is about Platoon 17 developing, then we don't really see that. It's still Layfon doing the brunt of the work with Nina doing next to nothing and being angry while Felli and Sharnid are on the sidelines. The team has not grown as a whole, and this past arc was a good spot for it to happen, but instead, Sharnid went lone wolf, and Layfon still has next to no understanding of him.
Apr 13, 2009 6:04 PM
Apr 2009
nina4life said:
noteDhero said:
Look, I don't think that there is any reason for you to call me an idiot..

Don't worry, it was my quote to which he answered by calling me an idiot, not you ;)

btw, about character consistency. I am still trying to find an answer why is fonfon still in 17th platoon. She clearly said she doesn't want him in the team anymore.

What happened to Layfon and that school girl anyway? She was so interested in him, they showed her for a few episodes, only to completely shut her down lately.
What happened to Felli? From one of the main characters to completely irrelevant (in a way, she still does things...kind of...).
What happened, what happened, what happened, what happened, what happened....I hate having so many what happened..

Fonfon is still in the platoon because Nina realized she misunderstood him as I pointed out. She hates him because he caused her to misunderstand him.

I know that I often use "I hate you" figuratively. It's a figure of speech to show that you misunderstood a person because of his white lie so you hate him. It shouldn't be taken as meaning that you never want to talk to him again. There are many meanings to "I hate you." In this context, Nina is not using the vile meaning.

Isn't the school girl appearing next ep?

And the rest of your questions. There is something called limited time. I think the thrust of the anime so far is to show the growth of platoon 17. (Showing Felli cares for the city, Sharnid cares for the city, and Layfon cares for the city) You get the point. Once everyone in the platoon has a reason to fight, I am guessing the real plot starts to move.

So instead of a main character who becomes really strong. This story seems to be about a weak platoon that becomes really strong.

Also, I really don't mean you are an idiot when I asked that question. It's in a joking, rhetoric manner. No offense really.

*edit* to address the previous post: Humans have unstable emotions and apparently Nina has really bad control over her emotions. She is very self-righteous and hardheaded. This can be seen in the previous ep, where she just goes to tell Dinn how she feels without letting the police know that she is blowing their cover.

She just has a strong sense of self-justice + emotion. Is there something wrong with that?

Also, Sharnid wanted to clear up his relationship with Sheena (Not sure of the name, the blond lance girl lol). So he wanted no one to go with him. Also, he was seriously fighting for once, which is unlike him. I think that shows character development no? He went lone wolf because he wanted it to be a part of the team strategy. (He knows the blond girl best).
eschiverApr 13, 2009 6:10 PM
Apr 13, 2009 6:10 PM

Sep 2008
Not to mention we don't get to know why those mercenaries wanted that burning lion (I didn't bother remembering its name).
(correction, we do...sorry about this one :) )

Not to mention that thing "left", and it wasn't explained what it wanted with Layfon in one of previous episodes (probably same as with Diin, but does Layfon have same desires as Diin did?).

Is Nina developing? Yes, she is. She learned a few things about life in general, and about fighting in general.
Is her relationship with Layfon developing? Nope, I wouldn't say so. I don't know whether they're friends of leader/member, or potential romance(there were even hints of that).

About hate thing. She does hate him, why the smile on his face. Because he knows her better than she knows him. She is just very naive person, and having naive look on life. She tells him she hates him, and he knows she doesn't really hate him for what he is, but because of his life ...what's the word...moral standards?
And he knows it's funny, but she is like that, perfectionist, and there is no doubt she is consistent when it comes to life, but it's their relationship that's long way from consistent.

Oh whatever, I have nothing smarter to do anyway, I'll keep watching it till the end, hopefully something changes, but I seriously doubt it.
nina4lifeApr 13, 2009 6:16 PM
Apr 13, 2009 6:17 PM
Apr 2009
I think the burning lion thing will come into play in the future and be clearer.

The thing wanted to possess Layfon but Layfon was too strong to be possessed. Think of it has a vengeful spirit that failed to protect the city as explained in the latest ep.... (Layfon has the same desire but he is already so strong he doesn't need the vengeful spirit. But uhh, the thing will be explained further later on, I think it was intentionally left vague).

Nina knows Layfon better since the lost regios ep. She knows he is unwilling to delve into his past and will do anything to protect what he cherishes (e.g. the survival of the orphanage he was born into). And I think from the later eps. we can infer that she is coming to terms with Layfon's sneaky ways. (She is always watching him doing some mission without telling her).

(Oh and the romance seems to be down to Felli and Leerin =P ). (Mei-shen is way too shy and the only foundation she has for liking Layfon is knowing that he saved her; which is a pretty shallow reason compared to Leerin or Felli's. They at least understand Layfon's struggles. Felli knows what it feels like to be overpowered lol and Leerin knows how it feels like to grow up in an orphanage).
eschiverApr 13, 2009 6:24 PM
Apr 13, 2009 6:27 PM

Sep 2008
I don't remember Layfon telling her what he needed money for.
Sure, he did mention it was for orphanage, but for him for orphanage(whatever that means).

But all she knows about him is that he was in underground battles, he cut the guys hand to protect himself, and is willing to do anything to protect himself and those he cherishes.
HOWEVER, that goes completely against her moral standards, and that's why she said she hates him. Clearly difference in opinions.
I can even overlook the facts about hating and leaving pl17., but only if they had a talk about it.

As I stated in one of the previous episodes, those things are serious, you are likely to get in life threatening situations with team mate who is willing to do anything to live, how can you trust that person with your life?
Now, if they had a talk about it (5 minutes from one episode is nothing for something as important as this), and she agreed for him to stay on some terms (dunno now), it would have been ok.
Instead, they completely forgot everything.

You know, what would happen if they going to "another lost city"(just example)?
It's not that I don't like Nina, I just don't understand that someone can get over something as major as that. They are not kids who had a fight over something small so they can forget it later.
I know this is show, but in their context, it's life and death when it comes to battle against filth monsters. In that case, you can't forget something like that....unless you're an idiot not caring for your life...
Apr 13, 2009 6:37 PM
Apr 2009
To nina4life:

In the lost regios ep. Layfon lays out a strategy for the survival of the platoon, and Nina questions him "For the sake of survival?" I think that shows that Layfon cherishes the platoon.

Nina wants to do things the honorable way like a bushido. Layfon is willing to do dishonorable things and that is where they clash. However, this is a problem of does the ends justify the means.

And obviously it is a controversial issue. But I do not believe their goals are against one another. That is why they do not argue a lot. Both of them prioritize the safety of the city and the platoon. The only difference is the method used. Nina will go head to head while Layfon sneaks around.

I think this is shown symbolically in the tracking of Dinn. Layfon was sneaking on top of a building following Dinn while Nina just directly goes to Dinn and tells him to stop using Overload.

A big difference in methods. But the end result is to get Dinn to turn back. That is why I think this anime is very sneaky in symbolism eh? :p
Apr 13, 2009 6:38 PM

Aug 2008
I think that the simple fact is that: Nina is a pussy and knows she can't win without Layfon, therefore she'll forgive him under the guise of having "control" over him. She is nowhere near as virtuous as she makes herself up to be in my opinion, but hey, we'll probably never know.
Apr 13, 2009 6:46 PM

Sep 2008
If you take a look back to their first fight with filth monsters (episode 5 or 6, can't remember) where he told them not to go, they'll get killed, she didn't listen.

Now, what happened. Layfon didn't join because of her, he didn't join fight because of city or platoon.
He said to himself: "I must fight to survive". That's what happened. So no, I wouldn't say he wants to protect city any more than he wants to protect himself.
And yea, noteDhero, I don't think she is pussy, I just think she is naive.
She enters fights she can't win because she is too proud to understand that sometimes winning is impossible (Guess she never read "The art of war" :) ).
But yeah, she does think she has control over him, she was thinking about that during their fight against mature filth monster. Again, naive.
Apr 13, 2009 6:50 PM
Apr 2009
Layfon wants to protect the student life he has in Zuelini. When he thought of the normal days with Mei-shen etc. it motivated him to defeat the filth monster in that arc.

So I still keep my belief that he wants to protect the city. If he didn't he wouldn't obey the sneaky president's orders. =)
Apr 13, 2009 6:56 PM

Sep 2008
I still think he wants to protect himself more than other things.

Why is he fighting than? Because he already learned that 90% of those students are good for nothing. Meaning if fighting comes, they won't be able to protect city.
I do not doubt he wants to stay there and live normally, after all, where can he go anyway?
And I do not doubt he is a good person, after all, he stood up for Diin in this episode. He could have backed up, but he has a sense of loyalty and moral standings (he proved that long time ago).

I just think that he is willing to do sacrifices to survive, unlike others, especially Nina.
Apr 13, 2009 6:57 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, after I submitted that, I realized that wasn't the word I wanted to use. She is naive, and really too immature to be a platoon leader. I just don't really get how she got that far. Especially concerning how she failed in that intercity match.

@eschiver

I don't see it so much that way. Layfon was sneaking around, but those were his orders. He wasn't doing anything to keep himself alive. What Nina did was disregard orders because she thought she had a better plan. I do see what you were trying to say though, but in this case it doesn't really work. Also, because we still don't have 100% of the picture, I'm still not so sure that Layfon did anything wrong. Everytime that Layfon has done something to save himself, it's only when he really had no other choice.
noteDheroApr 13, 2009 7:00 PM
Apr 13, 2009 7:05 PM
Apr 2009
Oh right, I guess he was on orders. I think the president put Nina as a platoon leader because he knows she has a fairy inside her. Which will probably play a part later.

However, my point is that Nina tends to be blunt and direct. She is way too honest and naive :p

I think Nina is more of an idealist and Layfon is the realist. One is trying to sacrifice herself for an ideal while the other is trying to minimize damages and maximize survival for sake of himself and others.

However, Layfon does not want to use his powers if it possible. That is why he is so reluctant to use a katana etc.
eschiverApr 13, 2009 7:08 PM
Apr 13, 2009 7:24 PM

Sep 2008
I actually think he is changing.

The reason he refuses katana is (imho) that he wants to leave his past (not his friends from past (that girl)) in the past. He did some things, and now he wants to forget those things and move on.
Now, I don't think he is ashamed of what he did (ep 10, he calls guy he killed irrelevant), but he just wants to move on, doesn't want to be forever connected to his past. I might be wrong.
Guess we'll see...

It's 4.30am here, and I think I should stop commenting on fictional character.
Can't wait for the next episode etc etc etc etc etc.
Apr 13, 2009 7:34 PM

Aug 2008
I agree with both of you, Nina is definitely an idealist while Layfon is much more pragmatic having seen how the world works. But Nina's point brings me to the problem I'm having with Layfon: he clearly wants to leave the past in the past, yet being as pragmatic as he is, he just can't seem to see the situation for what it is. He is Zuellini's only hope, and he needs to get over his issues about the past in order to really be of any help to anyone. I know, I know, he didn't even want to be in military arts, but he doesn't really have a choice anymore. If he's going to survive, he needs to take all of these threats a little more seriously. Of course, it could be that he has yet to actually feel threatened by anyone and that's why he hasn't felt the need to use a katana, but he should be able to see that things are spiraling downward by now.
Apr 13, 2009 7:40 PM
Apr 2009
That is what makes it interesting. If Layfon was a perfect realist, I would be turned off. He still has issues to grapple with.

Can't wait for inter-city match. >.>
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Jun 20, 2009

164 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 22, 2023 12:38 AM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 30, 2009

63 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 10:58 PM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 23, 2009

52 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 10:30 PM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MrTerrorist - May 17, 2009

88 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 9:55 PM

Poll: » Chrome Shelled Regios Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Quickfox - May 3, 2009

56 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 21, 2023 8:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.