Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2009 10:58 AM

Jan 2008
For the entire episode I was saying "WTF!?" and "Why!?~"...but with awkward chuckles throughout that were funny, yet extremely strange and weird at the same time aside from your normal typical comedy anime. I can't tell if it's good or if it's going to suck hard later on, but the OP and ED really blew me away with amazing graphic design and animation. Reminds me of when they first released The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, and a big question mark was above my head the entire time for the first episode, so I'm going to stick with it a bit longer to see if it picks up.
Apr 10, 2009 10:59 AM

Sep 2008
I Liked it! gonna be keeping an eye on this anime.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 10, 2009 11:09 AM

Sep 2008
Kayro said:
Probably the best starting episode out of all the Spring Season shows. Simply loved it! And I can't wait for more ^_^

You took the words right out of my mouth ^^ loved it!

Apr 10, 2009 11:13 AM

Feb 2009
Miina_Miyafuji said:
aero said:
Oh shi-, love every fucking aspect of this show. The (peculiar) story, animation, OP, ED, character design, character personalities, VAs, everything.

Just amazing!

Best Show this season by far.
Apr 10, 2009 11:37 AM

Dec 2008
I've watched a couple of the first episodes for some spring animes, and I gotta say that (besides fma of course), this episode blew me away. I knew this was going to be something special just from the trailer~

The animation is pure eye candy, love the opening, love the ending, love the humour...the characters...everything was really awesome! There is no doubt in my mind that I will continue to watch this series (for other series on the other hand >_>...)

I was also impressed with the english! They actually got fluent speakers to do the va-ing :D

Now I have to figure out what subbing group is going to follow this anime. To anyone related to gg, is there any way fror you guys to continue this? I've had enough of downloading crummy subs only to find that out after I wasted my bandwidth :P
Apr 10, 2009 11:47 AM

Aug 2007
Great episode. I died when they whited out his weiner everytime he was naked . lol. The scene where the female cop told him to show his Johnny....and he pulled down his pants...I died laughing. lol. This is probably one of the best first episode I watched for this season. ^^
Apr 10, 2009 11:50 AM

Feb 2009
Without a doubt, I'd say that this is the best anime this season

robbydesu said:
I've watched a couple of the first episodes for some spring animes, and I gotta say that (besides fma of course), this episode blew me away. I knew this was going to be something special just from the trailer~

The animation is pure eye candy, love the opening, love the ending, love the humour...the characters...everything was really awesome! There is no doubt in my mind that I will continue to watch this series (for other series on the other hand >_>...)

I was also impressed with the english! They actually got fluent speakers to do the va-ing :D

Now I have to figure out what subbing group is going to follow this anime. To anyone related to gg, is there any way fror you guys to continue this? I've had enough of downloading crummy subs only to find that out after I wasted my bandwidth :P

That's because they used real Americans to voice the Americans in the anime:
HanajiApr 10, 2009 11:55 AM
Apr 10, 2009 11:56 AM
Jun 2007
Least amount of engrish I have ever seen in an anime.

A very good start. Let's see if it can keep up with the pace.
Apr 10, 2009 12:05 PM
Jan 2008
Cillu said:

lol werd up.

Such an interesting anime, its definitely gonna be pretty good
Apr 10, 2009 12:16 PM

May 2008
first episode was funny, but I'm not really hooked yet. It's Bourne Identity meets Honey & Clover.... interesting character interaction, but almost none of it made sense. This may be awesome, but I'll wait and see.

Kayro said:
Probably the best starting episode out of all the Spring Season shows. Simply loved it! And I can't wait for more ^_^

Dunno, I thought the first episode of Sengoku Basara was more fun. This was pretty great, though. :)

I am a banana.
Apr 10, 2009 12:23 PM

Apr 2009
This is one of the only new shows of the season I've been highly anticipating since the trailer, and suffice it to say the first episode did not disappoint. Interesting/likable characters, awesome OP/ED, solid and intriguing plot, wonderful animation, a touch of humor ("I need to see your Johnny" ;D)... All I can hope now is that it continues to trump even the high expectations I already have for it.

Definitely on the list of best animes of the season at this point. I eagerly await the upcoming episodes!
Apr 10, 2009 12:27 PM

Oct 2008
I absolutely love the concept, the premise, the characters, the humor, and everything else. I think Higashi no Eden is my favorite for the spring season. The first episode didn't disappoint, and I hope the others are the same.
Apr 10, 2009 12:39 PM

Feb 2009
saka said:
first episode was funny, but I'm not really hooked yet. It's Bourne Identity meets Honey & Clover.... interesting character interaction, but almost none of it made sense. This may be awesome, but I'll wait and see.

Kayro said:

Dunno, I thought the first episode of Sengoku Basara was more fun. This was pretty great, though. :)

Wat

Cillu said:

That's because no engrish was used, Heck, Both Akira and Saki address the Americans either in English or in Japanese, Not in Engrish, Also, As I've said, They're using real Americans to voice the Americans in the anime, Apparently, Production I.G. is putting their all in Eden of the East, Heck, If you add Sengoku Basara, All the best anime for today's season belongs to them.
HanajiApr 10, 2009 12:45 PM
Apr 10, 2009 12:40 PM

Nov 2007
Got to say, really impressed with the first episode.
Abit strange, though really really enjoyed it.
Look forward to the next, I want to watch more nowww ~
Apr 10, 2009 12:42 PM
Sep 2008
Thought that it was an awesome episode like the characters and where the plot is going although i dont know what they were talking about in the beginning
Apr 10, 2009 12:49 PM

Apr 2008
Absolutely loved it. And the OP & ED are the best this season that I've seen.
SteveKeysApr 10, 2009 1:10 PM
Apr 10, 2009 12:53 PM

Feb 2009
I absolutely love this! Akira's so funny lol Definately watching this! And if the next episodes are as good as this one it's going straight to my fave's ^_^

Btw I saw the releases of both gg and Desire... and got absolutely confused. I can't believe how it's possible for two different translations of the same thing to have nothing in common at some points :/ Hope the next eps will clear up the mess in my head (although I think gg's release is better) *roll*
Apr 10, 2009 12:58 PM

May 2008
Really good first episode.
And I love the OP.
Apr 10, 2009 1:05 PM

Oct 2008
this is awesome cant wait for the second episode, it has comedy, conspiracy and it is made by the director of stand alone complex very promising
Apr 10, 2009 1:08 PM

Dec 2007
That was pretty cool, sticking with it.

#NBHNC
Apr 10, 2009 1:14 PM

May 2008
What the hell he said to that guy to get the pants O.O
And lol at the fact that eveyone understands Japanese

I don't understood very well why the female cop let them get away,was that some kind of bribe lol?

And Johnny is what I think it is?

Apr 10, 2009 1:19 PM

May 2008
Oh shit that was fantastic, definitely my favorite of the season so far. Before this season this show was the one I was most looking forward to and it did not disappoint at all.

I'm quite impressed with the english voices so far, as they are actually english and not engrish.
Apr 10, 2009 1:22 PM

Jan 2009
Oh... so the opening is by OASIS. That is why i liked it.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 10, 2009 1:25 PM
Dec 2007
Oasis + Kenji Kawai + Kenji Kamiyama + Chika Umino + Production IG = welcome to the slaughterhouse. Seriously, it feels like GITS:SAC and Hachimitsu to Clover made love and birthed Higashi no Eden as a legitimate child.

The animation and direction are (obviously) fantastic, the BGM is almost absent in this first episode, but when it comes out, we just have some seriously good Patlabor-level Kenji Kawai, and of course both OP and ED are just great. On top of it, everything is made to introduce weirdly but clearly the characters at the same time that the scenario develops in the background without us spectators knowing for the moment. I also loved the cinema references (we all know that Kamiyama is a great cinephile, he even made some remakes of Scorsese, Godard and Wenders movies in GITS:SAC) and the beginning of the characters' relationship.

There are still a lot of unexplained things but this introduction was so great that we are now forced to watch the rest of the show to get some answers, and that's the sign of a great anime. As for all the strange happenings in this episode, my guess is that Akira's Johnny has a magical power that bends (uhuh) the other characters' will and makes them do everything he wants.

Overall a romance/SF anime with a huge potential (well, one the best Japanese SF authors of the last years is working with one of the best Japanese romance authors, so no wonder!) as expected, that could become one of the very best animes of the last few years, or just remain what this first episode was: simply great. Time will tell.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 10, 2009 1:27 PM
Jan 2009
The highest expectations the first episode set for me are about what it will be capable of offering about its handling of the problems created by the contradiction between the traditional conception of identity and the nature of today's mass society. Or rather, how it manages to use that question as a demonstrating context in which the matter of identity's true essence can be processed. The scene in which Akira was calmly suffling through his numerous passports without any idea about his true identity while the girl was panicking about having lost his "proof of existence" was really great on that level.
I haven't really taken liking to the main characters yet but they seem like ones that I could grow accustomed to over time. Their interaction and behavior was kind of out of place at some points, but that's a minor flaw considering what was good in the episode. The most important thing for now is that they don't strike me as anything outright annoying. The soundtrack was great for the most part, and both animation and art were sufficiently good.
I was slightly put-off by the "the prince of my dreams"-fantasies, but hopefully that'll eventually develop into something more meaningful than a mandatory frosting to mark its shoujoness.
As a starting episode this was worth a 4/5 for me. Not the romantic comedy shoujo stuff I was expecting.
Apr 10, 2009 1:44 PM

Oct 2008
Soulstrider said:
I don't understood very well why the female cop let them get away,was that some kind of bribe lol?

The reason, as I understand from the "cold" comment, is that his "Johnny" was much bigger than it was in the picture. I hope that makes sense, lol.
Apr 10, 2009 1:50 PM

Apr 2008
Seems quite interesting so far. Yet i have no clue where this will go, and since it's only 11 episodes, i don't think they'll be able to pull off something great.

But the music was good, and there was actually some surprisingly good english, definitely worth it.
Apr 10, 2009 1:55 PM

Apr 2008
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. It was funny, actually had good English (nothing big but cool), the opening and ending were solid especially with Oasis doing the opening, the animation was great and looked really nice and the story seems like it could be interesting. Not much was given in that department but the mystery of it has be thinking about how good it could be
Apr 10, 2009 2:28 PM

Mar 2008
This was too good.

Plus fuck yeah, a Taxi Driver reference.
Apr 10, 2009 2:52 PM

Jan 2009
Awesome episode!

I'd like to clarify that the word "Johnny" doesn't mean "sausage". It was him misunderstanding the female cop and flashing his meat when she asked for his identification. Which led to him thinking the Johnny meant his sausage. Very amusing though.
Apr 10, 2009 2:56 PM

Jul 2008
At first I tough it would be a decent show but after seeing the first episode I find this show really great.
I can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 10, 2009 3:16 PM

Feb 2009
that was awesome I loved it!! I like that part when the police girl is like show me your Johnny! and he pulls down his pants XD
Apr 10, 2009 3:29 PM

Aug 2008
FANTASTIC EPISODE!!
Apr 10, 2009 3:31 PM

Jul 2008
this really makes me think of Jason Bourne, the whole waking up without a memory, yet having the skills and evidence of being some type of soldier and/or terrorist in this case; what wsa up with that guy giving him his pants? and that cop asking to check his johnson, i guess thats one way to find someone
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 10, 2009 4:00 PM

Jan 2009
M_A said:
This was too good.

Plus fuck yeah, a Taxi Driver reference.

I am on this 100% is all I say.
Apr 10, 2009 4:11 PM

Feb 2009
the voice actors speaking english sound realy good compared to other animes that are still jap dub
Apr 10, 2009 4:27 PM

Sep 2007
Wow that was a pretty damn good episode. I actually didn't think they'd pull it out with a bunch of english VA extras but it worked. I lol'd at Taxi Driver and Jason Bourne being mentioned. Man there needs to be better subs for this. Too bad gg is not going to continue it?
Apr 10, 2009 4:29 PM

Jul 2007
That was pretty awesome overall, even tho the English OP and dialogue and all the GC scenes were quite irritating. But the character design and personalities all made up for that. I'm in on the "one of the best 1st eps of this season" thing too, more plx.
Apr 10, 2009 4:40 PM
Oct 2007
Fantastic OP! Animation is definitely top-notch. Totally worth watching.
Apr 10, 2009 4:54 PM

Sep 2007
Awesome first episode!

With the best OP of the season, the ED is good but not that good like K-ON ED =)

A shame that is only 11 eps but i hope it will be a great series from beginning to end!

I regret not put Eden in the bench of FAL =_= It will be a good bomb! I assure that =)

Kouta~
Apr 10, 2009 4:55 PM

Jun 2008
Holy fuck, amazing.

I didn't expect it to be this good. I think it will be my absolute favorite this season.
Apr 10, 2009 6:28 PM
Mar 2009
Where can i get the subs for this ep in 480 p ???
Apr 10, 2009 6:37 PM

Dec 2008
Hanaji said:

That's because they used real Americans to voice the Americans in the anime:

Um...this will be a first for me to quote myself but, here I go:

robbydesu said:
They actually got fluent speakers to do the va-ing :D

XD I was quite aware of that...
Apr 10, 2009 6:37 PM

Dec 2006
Definitely on my Watch List!

The HC vibe with the hilarious Shinobu look-alike, awesome graphics and voicing (NO ENGRISH =D ), & interesting spy plot.. i wanna watch the 2nd ep!

I__u_p_p_e_d__m_y__s_t_a_n_d_a_r_d_s_,__s_o__U_P__y_o_u_r_s!
Apr 10, 2009 6:47 PM

Nov 2007
Looking goooood.

There were a few "hmmmm" moments, as pointed out by others, but the hook was powerful enough that I'm already too caught up in the story and characters to mind much.

[avatar from Tales of the Abyss]
Apr 10, 2009 7:08 PM

Aug 2008
Super cool. 11 episodes, so I hope everything is as polished as this episode, and doesn't pull a Rideback towards the end. Loved that they bothered to get English speaking actors, and I thought the terrorist stuff was funny.
Apr 10, 2009 7:16 PM

Jan 2009
Seem to be going back to OP words of 2 pics I put. Much reference to Messiah and world hero thing I conclude.
Apr 10, 2009 7:37 PM

Sep 2008
noteDhero said:
Super cool. 11 episodes, so I hope everything is as polished as this episode, and doesn't pull a Rideback towards the end. Loved that they bothered to get English speaking actors, and I thought the terrorist stuff was funny.

wow no offense or anything but i've never seen such a positive response from you before :P

but yea i was so interested in this series when i first heard about it and after this episode i think it's going to be brilliant. can't wait for the next episode :)
Apr 10, 2009 7:44 PM

Aug 2008
Lol, when it's good it's good. Should have seen me in the Skip Beat discussion...you woul have thought I was a different person.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Bakayaro - Apr 23, 2009

201 by Skorobagatio »»
Oct 6, 2022 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.