Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 2009 5:31 AM

May 2008
This might just be the strongest, most overwhelming introduction episode I have ever seen. Very, very nice.
Apr 13, 2009 5:56 AM

Mar 2009
I've rewatched it again and for some reason I have a feeling that this wouldn't be a memorable anime.

There's a lot of Christian connotations in the intro and I feel that this stuff is going to be pushed on the story to make it feel "interesting". I dunno. I hope I'm wrong since the OP kicks my ass every time I watch it.

Apr 13, 2009 7:42 AM

Jul 2008
kinda strange but interesting plot. it has a lot of potential. cant wait to see more of it.
KisekiApr 13, 2009 7:45 AM

Apr 13, 2009 1:28 PM

Jun 2007
Couple of good points. I actually understood the English, and the OP was amazing. A bit vague in some places, but definitely showing promise.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 13, 2009 2:57 PM

May 2008
Oh he's cute, I like this guy.:D

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 13, 2009 3:06 PM

Sep 2008
Not that good as I expected. Some things were just weird and the girl kinda pissed me off. The guy is interesting though, so I'll continue watching this for now.
Apr 13, 2009 3:35 PM

Jun 2008
Interesting start. Well, it's Production I.G. after all. Awesome studio is awesome.

I'm thankful for the lack of engrish in this show, soundtrack seems promising and the characters look fine to me. Story has potential i think.

Bracing for epic :). 4/5.
CanopusApr 13, 2009 3:39 PM
Apr 13, 2009 4:08 PM

Feb 2008
hehe, i guess saying johnny is easier than johnson.

besides the political crap, this might turn out to be a fairly good anime. i wasn't even planing on watching it but i downloaded it on impulse.
Apr 13, 2009 4:26 PM

Mar 2008
AddleBoy said:
Deadpool135 said:
classicalzawa said:
was anyone else kinda off-put by the English in this episode? I mean, it did actually sound like English (except for the one purposeful Engrish line), but it kinda sounded script read.

Yeah I noticed that also, it didn't sound natural at all, it sounded very scripted.

Yeah, but could you imagine what the Japanese audience thought of it. They were probably more impressed than anyone here. <_<

I think it's obvious that when that cop said "Johnny" that she meant his penis, cuz she took a second to actually compare it with the photo she had. XD

The real problem is that a cop can't just make you drop your pants just because they asked, though I guess that's not a problem for exhibitionist-Akira. XD

I think it's funny the way he just takes things. He realizes that he's standing in front of the White House naked, and holding a gun, but doesn't make a big deal out of it. The only thing I can say about that curiously generous business man is that he must have really liked Akira's penis. XD

I think someone here said the cop actually meant she wanted to see his I.D. (Which saying that to a foreigner is equally strange) which makes more sense. No cop would say ask someone to see their privates w/o authority watching closely (think how easy it would be to sue a cop for that)

My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Apr 13, 2009 10:04 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
holy shit that was really really good!!!! wow!!! i'm excited to watch the rest of this series :D
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Apr 13, 2009 10:11 PM

Jan 2007
ooo fun first episode. loved the character design, especially since its by Chika Umino. I see great potential with this one. Very much looking forward to the rest.
Apr 13, 2009 11:59 PM

Feb 2009
This show seems to be interesting. The animation , accuracy of background design and the plot all seemed really good. For some reason the main male character "Akira" reminds me of "Morita" from Honey & Clover.

Apr 14, 2009 5:59 AM

Jan 2009
Fantasic !!

This could be one of the best anime this season !!

Does anyone realize that Akira really looked alike with Morita from Honey & Clover ?
Apr 14, 2009 6:25 AM

May 2007
Woah, that was an overwhelming episode. I had set my expections low, but this was great. Having English rather than Engrish is a plus. I love how the guy reacts to being in front of the White House, naked and with a gun.
Apr 14, 2009 6:30 AM
May 2008
chika umino makes the character original bill.
she is Honey & Clover original manga creator
Apr 14, 2009 7:08 AM

Jan 2008
all the English lines are actually voiced by English speaking guys [judging from the cast names on ANN].so no wonder there is no Engrish.

btw,the best 1st episode of this season!

Apr 14, 2009 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
The Bourne trilogy, anyone?

A guy who doesn't know who he is, and an innocent girl who gets dragged in his problems, and he even has a passport with the name 'Jason'!
Apr 14, 2009 8:43 AM

Jan 2009
Very interesting setting. Animes set in near-future are always nice to watch. The animation is great, Honey and Clover came to mind. Promising show, up for more.
Apr 14, 2009 9:06 AM

Sep 2007
Holy shit, that was awesome. Favorite spring season show already. I can't wait for the next episode~
Apr 14, 2009 9:13 AM

Dec 2007
Very unique show. I love Kenji Kawai's score, the details for DC were so mind-bogglingly accurate, the animation was fluid, the characters seem like a lot of fun, etc. Definitely gonna stick around for this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2009 10:42 AM

Feb 2008
Is it just me or is Production I.G. making a habit of depicting grown women as 6 year olds? They did it in Star Ocean 2 for the PSP where they completely raped Rena's character. Saki also looks 10 years below her age.
Apr 14, 2009 4:32 PM

Jan 2008
Absolutely epic. Amazing music of Kenji Kawai. Amazing animation. Amazing characters. Awesome characters design. Everything is awesome.

10/10
Apr 14, 2009 5:37 PM

Sep 2008
I'm amazed at how much research they actually did on DC. For example, the cab driver at the start is listening to WPGC (95.5 FM) and is wearing a Nationals cap. The scenes appear to be rotoscoped from photographs, but they all fit (he runs across E St then down what looks like 7th St NW... the airport they go to is Dulles Airport in western Fairfax County, VA, and the inside of that is completely accurate as well). The only problem I have there is that his apartment building is where the Sculpture Garden is in real life. Great OP and ED, too... wasn't expecting Oasis' new single to be in it either. Great first ep.
Apr 14, 2009 8:05 PM
May 2008
H-h-h-h-HOLY HECK! T-those dudes were speaking... REAL ENGLISH
I HAD NEVER HEARD SUCH PRONUNTIATION IN ANIME OMFG
... This is seriously epic for me. Geez, just for that I'm starting to love it.
It somehow proves this show has… quality.
(,...Ha! Actually English’s NOT my mother language. Anyways!)

Gah, the weirdness everywhere, I'm LOVING IT. It still shocks me the way that NAKED guy came out of nowhere, his reaction to such awkward situations… hahaha, oh my. I had seen weird things in anime... but never of this kind! It’s really amazing for me to see how this show manages to mix up such bizarre character and everything still looks absolutely realistic.

Now, the best of all of this was... the awkward fanservice aimed at GIRLS. Even if I’m not really into such stuff (to be honest it was a little disturbing at first xD) I ABSOLUTELY appreciate there’s FINALLY a change. Enough of fanservice intended for men, the never ending series of it are… getting annoying.

La la la anyways. I’m really forward to Eden of the East. Anime really needs more of this… something realistic, that still manages to break clichés. Hope it doesn’t disappoint the high hopes I have for it! ♥
Apr 14, 2009 8:57 PM

Jun 2008
Kenji Kamiyama must really love Taxi Driver....

This is one of the best drawn works I've seen, no shit. This is so amazingly light and it works some how. Was smiling like the whole time.

And the pacing is all there too. Must have learned something from Seirei No Moribito.

Also holy shit @ awesome Engrish speakers. They actually hired people who know how to speak it or what?

ah fuck it: REAL FUCKING ENGLISH!?!?! CENSORED ASIAN DICKS, ACTUAL COMEDY, LIKABLE FEMALE CHARACTERS!?!? Oh God this guy is a genius. After doing like gits sac and Serei he does this...wow. References were sweet too - he's open about it.

I really hope this delivers. I'll feel like such a dick if this doesn't. But...I think it will...the pace and mood are epic.
hznuApr 14, 2009 9:02 PM
Apr 14, 2009 9:27 PM

Jun 2008
Pretty awesome. Loved the first episodes, but I'm not going to get too hyped up...after what happened with Rideback...=[
The ED was AMAZING animation, but I wasn't really impressed at all by the OP.
I guess its becasue I dabble alot in AE and kinetic typography seems second nature to me..
Can't wait till next week

(And I know they mention Bourne, but I can't help but relate this to the movies/books; terrorist/government agent gets his mind wiped and has to find out who he is, and gets a girl involved randomly)

Apr 14, 2009 9:37 PM

Jan 2009
I liked the humoristic references they put in for bourne and the same posture akira made infront of the mirror in the episode which is the same in taxi driver. I liked how they actually instilled real english speaking voice actors and not just engrish which gets kinda annoying. Personally i think people are overhyping the first episode a little much. It wasn't grand but an okay first episode.
Apr 15, 2009 12:13 AM

Jul 2007
Best first episode I've seen in a long time. Love the OP and ED, the character designs, the overall animation, the hints at the story, and the voice acting. This series is probably my fave right now of what I'm watching from the new season. I'm a little worried about those kooky-looking cellphones though, and the "saviour" thing.

Yeah, it was impressive to hear real English. Looks like the studio hired some westerners! XD Doesn't that happen, like... never? I'm impressed.

If the entire series has the same attention to detail as episode one, this will automatically win "Best of 2009" in my book.
<---made of awesome!
Apr 15, 2009 4:08 AM

Oct 2008
Dam awesssome animations. Probably one of the best I have ever seen! Looking forward to more of this. There is already some chemistry between the two main characters ><, dam this show is gonna be good.

"Mr. Johnny got wiped out."

ManifestApr 15, 2009 4:13 AM

last.fm ╢ My CG AMV ╢ Otaku Test ╢
Apr 15, 2009 7:44 AM

Sep 2008
It was Ok <3
Apr 15, 2009 12:04 PM
Dec 2007
TACKSHI DURIBA
Apr 15, 2009 7:41 PM

Jun 2007
wow when I first heard the English I got scared. I thought I suddenly had the ability to understand Japanese haha. I definitely love the way this anime is going. The animation and the use of English and other real world references makes this interesting and enjoyable.

From what I can gather the guy may be in an agency but at the same time he might not be. They reference a lot of religious quotes and people in the group seem to end things with "god bless" or other similar things. Makes it seem more like a religious organization then a secret US government agency.
Apr 16, 2009 7:22 AM

Jul 2008
Awesome first episode, I will be looking forward to the next.
Apr 17, 2009 2:52 PM

Jul 2008
Wow.

Fantasic OP and ED. Two very likable main characters. Animation was breath taking. English not Engrish.

....<3
Apr 17, 2009 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
Who woulda thought shrinkage would actually be a good thing sometimes.

Really nice episode, liked it alot and the OP was really good too.
Apr 17, 2009 4:17 PM

Dec 2008
s0mething said:
Who woulda thought shrinkage would actually be a good thing sometimes.
LOL XD!!
Apr 17, 2009 9:53 PM

Oct 2007
lol, all the random english, animators make wonder how well they drew dc. never been there. also so jealous of the ketais now. ahhh i want one
Apr 18, 2009 3:59 PM
Jul 2007
now thats a weird way to start an anime 0_o very werid but origonal,

now this has some great animation, and I like the art of this series too, not so big on the story yet but I will get it once the plot starts to get going more.
Apr 18, 2009 10:49 PM

May 2008
I love this anime and this is only the first ep. The opening is amazing with oasis and the animation. The ending is pretty nice too with the paper cut outs and that jap band. The story itself is really intriguing and the animation is well done.
Apr 19, 2009 12:06 PM
Jun 2008
Kind of confusing at times, but overall I liked it.
Apr 20, 2009 7:12 AM

Jun 2008
Now THAT'S how to start off an anime series. The animation was beautiful, the voices were nice(yay for English being used where needed instead of choppy Engrish sounding voices), and the story has already captured my attention. You can really tell there was effect and love put into this. Looking forward to more. :)
Apr 20, 2009 9:58 AM
Feb 2008
I've rewatched episode one.
Did anyone notice that when we first see Akira close-up, he holds the gun out in front of him, his eyes seem like he's concentrating, like he knows what he's doing. Then the phone rings and he holds it up to his ear. There's this metallic buzzing noise, and all of the sudden his eyes lose purpose, he lowers the gun...do you think that was the moment of brainwashing?

...Who had he been aiming at? Why had he chosen to take off his clothes? Was he afraid his clothes would hold clues to his identity?
alcachino33Apr 20, 2009 10:02 AM
Apr 20, 2009 11:29 AM

Aug 2008
Great first episode!
- Signature Removed -
The signature seriously lacked "It's a Sony" qualities.
Apr 20, 2009 8:37 PM

Apr 2008
alcachino33 said:
Did anyone notice that when we first see Akira close-up, he holds the gun out in front of him, his eyes seem like he's concentrating, like he knows what he's doing. Then the phone rings and he holds it up to his ear. There's this metallic buzzing noise, and all of the sudden his eyes lose purpose, he lowers the gun...do you think that was the moment of brainwashing?

...Who had he been aiming at? Why had he chosen to take off his clothes? Was he afraid his clothes would hold clues to his identity?

That's a really good point because that actually may be the case. That's pretty good observation if that's what really happens
Apr 21, 2009 10:53 AM
Sep 2008
just saw the 1st ep, seems very unique, but was annoying how all the english could understand japanese, etc
Apr 21, 2009 11:31 AM

Apr 2008
That's something that your being a bit too nit picky about. Be thankful that the English was good and fluent and not engrish
Apr 21, 2009 12:45 PM

May 2008
AntiDentite said:
alcachino33 said:

Another rather easy to miss detail is the identity of the man in the car.

What am i meant to be looking for in that pic? I don't see anything that would give away anyones identity, or anything to do with the Number 1.. =[

Anyhow, the show just started, so no need to jump on the bandwagon yet. Remember, it's only going to be 12 eps, so i doubt it's going to be anything THAT good/deep(the storyline that is). Animation/Direction/Production values are of course good, but it's the story that's going to make or break this one(actually, it makes or breaks all series).
Apr 21, 2009 5:38 PM

May 2008
Did anyone use Mistwalker & Tadashi for this ep? If so, are they any good? I know Tadashi has done some good work, but I used Frostii for the first ep and they were great, but I feel like they'll be really slow.
Apr 22, 2009 1:06 AM

Apr 2008
From what I've seen GG is picking it up and they're a really good subber so I'd go with them, if not then Tadashi
Apr 22, 2009 8:14 AM

Sep 2008
Pretty good so far. I'm intrigued.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Bakayaro - Apr 23, 2009

201 by Skorobagatio »»
Oct 6, 2022 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.