Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 8, 2009 3:58 PM

Jan 2009
In the animation though doesn't Jade kill Dist with his uber spell?

The ending was good animation wise (with the happy world scenes) but I perfer the emotional impact of the original (both music and dialog) i.e. I don't want to be at Luke's grave outburst.

So annoyed no hug scene though.

Game is PS2 (USA/Japan) release only.

Also the game fight between Luke and Asche is a lot more epic with meaning of birth track.

This in comparison was like meh no mystic artes or fast paced music.

As for final Luke, its both of them merged as one being (the long hair, different shade)

Love story in the anime not as noticeable tbh, certain scenes are missing like when Tear is cradling Luke and when she is has a panic stricken look in her face when Luke and Natalie are surrounded.

Also ingame, Asche can cast explosion as well but in the animation it seems to delegate everyone to one "class"
AlliedGApr 8, 2009 4:07 PM
Apr 8, 2009 4:51 PM

Jul 2008
pretty good final battle
overall not bad of an anime and actually quite enjoyed it
Apr 8, 2009 6:15 PM

May 2008
SilentFate said:

Just a note about the God Generals..Dist is like the only one that isn't dead. Not that they showed it in the anime, but he's actually in jail in Grand Chokmah. Jade had him arrested :x

actually hes only put in jail after they kill neblim in the game side quest, before that hes probably wandering around somewhere..
though correct me if im wrong..

Yeah that was what I meant. I didn't wanna mention the side quest 'cause some people might think I'm pushing it :/ It being a 'side quest' and all, but it still counts.

Whoever said Asch was alive at the end...no. Sure, his hand may have twitched, but I assure you he was as dead as a doornail. In the game, his skin was as pale as a ghost when he died. The anime just didn't make it as pale. But he was dead.
StarPebblitApr 8, 2009 6:26 PM

Apr 8, 2009 7:19 PM

May 2007
KayChan4U said:
Oh, and of COURSE Tear and Luke aren't gonna kiss. You know, Luke doesn't actually look at Tear in 'that way'. He never did and probably never will. He only sees her as a really really good friend who happens to be a chick. You can argue, but it's the truth :/

And at the end, it's not really only Luke. Luke and Asch's body fused after Luke caught his body in the force field thing. Though Asch is technically already dead, the mass majority of that person is Luke.

1.) Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I do think Luke had feelings for Tear. Before they land on Hod, in episode 24 I think, Luke and Tear are sitting under the night sky on the flying ship and it seemed like he wanted to tell Tear something at first but decided against it. But it looked like he just "settled" for a thank you. I think he wanted to tell her that he loved her, but thought against it because he knew he was going to disappear in the end (or so that's my theory anyway). It seemed that way both in the game and the anime.

2.) The way I see it is that Asch is dead, no doubt about that. But Luke's body was going to disappear anyway because of the disappearance of his body fonons. So I had always thought that Luke's soul was transferred into Asch's body. *Shrugs* A far'fetched theory, but one that I think works and kind of explains the ending of where we see Asch's body but Luke's mind. This would explain why the sword on his back is adjusted in a way that a left-handed user would be able to draw it.

Anyway, I loved the game, but this anime adaptation disappointed me. Very poor script and a lot of the fights were extremely anticlimactic as compared to the game. Gave it a 5/10.
VK11Apr 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Apr 8, 2009 7:42 PM

Jul 2008
SilentFate said:
Considering this is the game ending there probably wont be another season.. although Luke/Asch did not speak in the game ending which was interesting.

What? He did... >>

I liked the anime. Granted it didn't have everything the game provided, but I wasn't expecting that in the first place anyway.

8/10 for lacking a bit in the combat portions and other small things.
Apr 8, 2009 9:54 PM

Jun 2007
crazy_eights said:
I have to say tho the ending scene of luke returning was very well done and by far my favorite out of the whole entire show.

7/10 for me too

But wait didnt Asch come back to life too??
AlliedG said:

As for final Luke, its both of them merged as one being (the long hair, different shade)

...?
Apr 8, 2009 10:36 PM

Aug 2008
Meh, this was a mediocre show with horrible pacing and a terrible lead character and some suspect "character development." This felt more like a rip off of better rpgs (FFX) than it did a good stand alone idea. Especially with the end (ruins from Besaid...Tear/Yuna's monologue).

I don't know. I was ready to give it credit for handling Luke and Asch's death with ambiguity, but they wen't and spoiled it in the end (though they did leave Asch "dead").

Too trite, too saccharine.
4/10

Apr 8, 2009 10:44 PM
Mar 2008
hanabiii said:
crazy_eights said:
I have to say tho the ending scene of luke returning was very well done and by far my favorite out of the whole entire show.

7/10 for me too

But wait didnt Asch come back to life too??
AlliedG said:

...?

Most logical assumption is that Luke's soul transfered into Asch's body, which is why his hand moved (body brought back to life?).

Luke had light shaded hair tips (notably his bangs) while Asch's was dark shaded. Now that they're one, his hair is pure red.
Apr 8, 2009 10:54 PM

Sep 2008
The anime was okay at first kind of fresh but immidietly began to stink as the story telling became horrible

I hate how they kill off the only charachter i liked Asche, i was hoping the rest of the cast would have died instead...

Main characher was disgusting, van was stupid, at the end they look as if van was theri best friend right after they kill him

No explaination was given for why Luke was alive either meh 5/10
Apr 10, 2009 12:12 AM
Jun 2007
I really wanted Luke and Tear to hug in the end! Will there be a second season? I hope their romance develop then.
Apr 10, 2009 7:27 AM
Sep 2008
Haven't watched it yet, but I know the game. I was really worried they were going to screw up final luke. from what ive read in this thread, they do final luke justice, so now im excited to see how well they do it. i dont think they can get it as good, because it was epic in the game, but i can still seeing it done well.

and i thought the nebilim sidequest was the "latest" story event with Dist in it. I didn't think there was anything after that. maybe i'm just confused because i had to do that fight so many times. (cant skip cutscenes and the intro cutscene always had nebilim pwn dist. so i watched dist get pwned more times than he deserves.)
Apr 11, 2009 10:52 AM

Jan 2008
i'm glad they tried to cram all the magic they could into the fight, that was pretty cool. i'm also glad luke got his hair back, he looks much cooler that way. good ending to a good adventure.
Apr 11, 2009 4:42 PM

Aug 2008
Several persons fighting against an enemy only!
Was not heroic!
Apr 11, 2009 7:19 PM

Jan 2009
The animation and story quite similar to the game and i think that has a positive and negative effect. the positive effect is we could watch it without have to worry the story changes from the game and could predict what's come next. The negative is the ending. The game's ending leaves a very important last question, who is survived, Luke ? Or Asch ?

That's what i dissapoint in this series. I watch this because expecting there would be a conclusion about this, but sadly, that ain't happened....
Apr 11, 2009 7:54 PM

May 2007
Oh, so Asch and Luke kinda merged together? Hm. At any rate, the ending was very well done with Tear's signing and Luke coming back and all (He looked awesome, too bad there wasn't a kiss). The anime started just fine for me but later on the episodes started to drag on and be really confusing. So, 8/10.

Apr 12, 2009 8:22 PM

Jun 2007
Metal-Blaze said:
YuenSan said:
Metal-Blaze said:
amazing ending but was it just me or was ashz hand twitchin at the end when luke was holding him?
Nope u're right he was still alive. That was the only way the could combine both Lukes into one.

i take it you only find that out clearly if you played the game. just out of curriosity what consol is the game out on i'd like to play it XD

They actually spoil the whole series in the OP if you read the lyrics and understand what they mean. I mentioned this in one of the first episodes to see if anyone else noticed. It's pretty funny, I'm used to seeing visual spoilers in OPs but when they basically explain what's going to happen it just seems funny. Especially the part where they say "and we become one" at the end lol.
Apr 13, 2009 1:38 AM

Sep 2008
DeathfireD said:
Metal-Blaze said:
YuenSan said:
Metal-Blaze said:
amazing ending but was it just me or was ashz hand twitchin at the end when luke was holding him?
Nope u're right he was still alive. That was the only way the could combine both Lukes into one.

i take it you only find that out clearly if you played the game. just out of curriosity what consol is the game out on i'd like to play it XD

They actually spoil the whole series in the OP if you read the lyrics and understand what they mean. I mentioned this in one of the first episodes to see if anyone else noticed. It's pretty funny, I'm used to seeing visual spoilers in OPs but when they basically explain what's going to happen it just seems funny. Especially the part where they say "and we become one" at the end lol.

i think that's quite clever really cause if you had no idea what would happen eg, being me and haven't had played the game you wouldn't have realised. Guess the whole thing was based on the world following the score and having a written future. Seems like it was an symbolic idea saying the series would follow its own script :P I probably just sound like an idiot now.
Apr 13, 2009 7:00 AM

Jan 2008
sorry but i'm giving 6/10... cause i didn't enjoy the show very much, i only watch it 'cause guy, asch and sync was there. i onøy wanna know about their past :p

but the ending was beautiful <3
Apr 13, 2009 2:12 PM
Jul 2008
Great show? hard to say. The show obviously has many flaws. This anime certainlly can be dragged out to make the anime much more stronger. The ending was awesoem, but Is till dont know why Luke survived so I went like wtf. Anyways the show was boring at parts and too repitive in some cases. Overall i would give it a 7/10, though i feel i should give it lower for some reason. Not gonna explain y but i do got good resons for such a score.
Apr 13, 2009 4:54 PM

Sep 2008
I thought the Anme was very well done. It followed very close to the game.

I can see why people might say it was rushed, which it did seem like it alittle, but that should also be expected.
I kinda knew they would cut out a lot of the side-quests or other things that wasn't apart the main story, since the story is still understandable without them.

I would have to give the series 10 / 10
I think i gave it such a high score because i beat the game before i got too much into the episodes.
With the story already in memory, even a lot of the side-quests, i had already filled the gaps from the gameplay that things that were cut from the anime.
You don't have to play the game to get the anime, but it would help you get it more then if you hadn't played it.

I noticed something ironic at the end.
This all started with Tear meeting Luke after trying to kill her brother.
Then it ends, after Tear had fallen in love with Luke, AFTER she killed her brother.

They should have showed just a little more, like some scenes during the ending song, like more of an aftermath of how they all went their ways or did w/e.
Like other anime's sometime do. They show more clips that might give some viewers "more closure' that others might want.

I do think Tear and Luke make a good couple.
Luke changed soo much from the beginning, starting as a spoiled, brat, rich kid, to someone who fight to protect anyone he can, even if it means his life in the process.
Apr 14, 2009 2:39 AM

Nov 2007
Found the Van fight a bit disappointing =/ but yay for a happy ending although it kind of killed the mood when Luke re-appeared although his hair looks better than ever xD! This series was between a 7 and an 8 for me but I decided that it deserved an 8 =D
Apr 14, 2009 7:25 AM
Feb 2008
why did luke wait 2 years to come back??
tear said it was 2 years since that all happened, then the team came and she sand her hymn
and then luke just comes back all of a sudden??

where's the sense in that?
instead of making every1 worry y didn't they bring him back lyk a month at most after it happened?

or does it just take a long time to combine bodies??
Apr 16, 2009 11:49 AM

Jun 2008
mylife101 said:
why did luke wait 2 years to come back??
tear said it was 2 years since that all happened, then the team came and she sand her hymn
and then luke just comes back all of a sudden??

where's the sense in that?
instead of making every1 worry y didn't they bring him back lyk a month at most after it happened?

or does it just take a long time to combine bodies??

lol I was wondering about that too

Anyways I really enjoyed this anime, even though I was a bit late in finishing it xP
Apr 17, 2009 6:12 PM

Jul 2008
Disliked the ending :<
It was too predictable.
Apr 22, 2009 12:16 PM

Feb 2008
I really enjoyed the character development at the beginning. But after that it just went down for me ==> 7/10
Apr 24, 2009 6:03 PM

Feb 2009
DivineTrinity said:
They gave a slightly better ending. I'm more satisfy I can see the face of Luke in that scene.

yeah I liked this ending :)

I Liked the game way more though it was funnier and it was just better! but the ending scene in the anime was the best also I liked luke more in the game for some reason
EuphoricFieldApr 24, 2009 6:08 PM
Apr 28, 2009 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
I Realy enjoyed this series, but with a slight confusion in the end.

I believed that when Asch's hand twitched Luke would enter in his body, since Asch is already dead. It would also explain how his hair grew so much.

But In the last scene it seemed that everyone wasn't really suprised with Luke's appearance, were they that confident, even after two years that he would return?

Wasn't Mieu supposed to only follow Luke for 1 year?
May 2, 2009 9:50 PM

Nov 2008
2 things got to me about this episode. The first was that the place suddenly started shaking. It's falling down! We have to get out of here! But, we have to say goodbye to Luke first! And so, for some strange and unknown reason, during their goodbyes the place STOPS shaking and falling down. (And their goodbyes took quite a while!) It was almost as though the building knew that they were busy and didn't want to interrupt them. huh.

another thing that got to me was how over the two years no one aged or even changed their clothes. Not even little Annise! Is she doomed to forever be stuck in the body of a pre-teen forever?

7/10 for me. It was fun, but not great.
May 3, 2009 6:37 PM

Sep 2008
Finally got around to finishing this. I don't think many people would have kept watching if it was 52 episodes though; if you want the entire story, it's only ~60 hours for you.

Going based on how well it follows the game, its a 9/10. going by how much I liked it, 8 or 9... I'll leave it at 8.
May 7, 2009 2:46 AM

Jan 2009
It would be a good end with Luke dead. But it was not as bad as I imagined xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2009 5:14 AM

Jan 2008
Xephia said:
another thing that got to me was how over the two years no one aged or even changed their clothes. Not even little Annise! Is she doomed to forever be stuck in the body of a pre-teen forever?

7/10 for me. It was fun, but not great.
Lol I know, 2 years later and everyone is practically the same.
Series was good at the beginning, grabbed my attention anyway but then somewhere in the middle it fell apart D:
Jun 13, 2009 11:43 AM

Aug 2008
Asch. Well and Tear. But that was one of the reasons I watched it bcuz I liked them a lot.

7/10
Jun 23, 2009 5:24 AM

Jun 2008
Finally finished the series last night. I must say, it definately deserves at least an 8/10. A few postivie and negative comments.

Negatives:
1) The fight scene between Van and Luke's teams was, as many here have stated, was to short. The series should have at least gone 2 more episodes with this final battle last a minimum of one episode.
2) The ending needed to have Luke and Tear telling how much they missed each and even hugging. But if this was a Luke/Asch merging, this would be an interesting developement between Tear and Natalia.

Postive:
1) The ending had a nice bitter sweetness to it. It didn't end with a usual large parade that many shows of this caliber have. It was a quiet reuniting of friends. Almost wanted to cry (but I didn't).
2) Luke/Asch kept his promice of coming back. We knew that they wouldn't kill off the main hero, but given the way the story was going, it was possible..and I wouldn't have been mad if he was dead.
3) Tear is always looking good. That's just a personal item. ;)
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jul 26, 2009 9:14 PM

Mar 2008
They new Luke looked awesome. Let's call him Fusion Luke. It's taking the best parts from Asch and Luke and put them together and you get a character that's really badass. Too bad Fusion Luke only gets a few minutes of the show. :(

But why the heck did it take him 2 years to return? Where have he been all this time?
Strife91Jul 27, 2009 4:11 AM
Aug 5, 2009 4:07 PM

Jun 2007
totally agree, luke was totally badass at the end ^^
didnt expect it at all.
I also found it disturbing that after 2 years, the crew havent changed at all, specially annise.
they were wearing the same outfits, in exception of guy and natalia, which werent much different.. was it too much to draw them new sets of clothes -.-

overall I give this a 6, it was entertaining but they could of made it way much better, specially at the beginning.
tear is the main reason I watched th show (x luke, & guy too) she looked absolutely beautiful when she was singing at the end<3 and boy did luke looked badass, oh wait I already said that (:
xxjanismAug 5, 2009 4:28 PM
Aug 11, 2009 1:29 PM

Aug 2007
I don't want to be a downer, but this episode was kind of disappointing... The fight with Van was kinda boring, not very exciting. Probably the only good part was where Tear sang the Grand Fonic Hymn and Van started going nutso, which brought some lulz.

I'm not really liking the atmosphere in the scene where Luke came back. Everyone was so smiley and hopeful. It was much more solemn in the game. I think the anime captured that scene totally wrong. But at least it wasn't as ambiguous.

Unfortunately, the only scenes I did like where the ones similar to the game, such as Asch falling into Luke's arms and that satisfied smile from Jade at the end. Both of those were done well, but the rest just felt way too rushed.

But still, it was nice to see this animated. :)
Aug 15, 2009 10:03 PM

Mar 2008
i loved the anime !
the end, well we all know what tear said at the ending.. her feelings for luke "i love you" etc etc and.. i think that luke has feelings for tear as well and its up to everyone what u believe what'll happen from now on, i just know that luke+tear will come together :p

and maybe.. idk they "merged" i dont give a fuck..cuz i know that it's the same luke which traveled all the time with tear together and who loves her and his last words:
"i promised, didnt i?" its definitely luke ahh stop thinking too complex about all this, its just as i want it
Luke+Tear => BIG BIG LOVE !!!!! ^.^
thats how i wanted it to end and i got that - missing a hug/kissing scene a bit, but well, doesnt matter ^^

enjoyed the anime, now im just sad its over
Luke+Tear <3 :)

edit: ah btw 10/10.. i really loved the moments between luke+tear !
edit2: well, ofc it is luke, at the end, just look at how he is wielding his sword... :)
RomeoAug 21, 2009 8:34 PM
Aug 20, 2009 6:20 PM
May 2008
Any chance for a second season of this anime?
Aug 21, 2009 12:45 PM

Aug 2007
Sandeep18 said:
Any chance for a second season of this anime?

I kinda doubt it. The game and anime end the same. So there's not any material they could work with. Sidequests prob wouldn't warrant another season.
Sep 18, 2009 7:44 AM

Jun 2009
Tear said "you've created world is beautiful, but you're not here"

sond like C.C said it to Lelouch...Lol
Mar 21, 2010 2:22 PM

Jun 2009
I liked the way it ended.

But there is some contradiction because they keep saying that luke and ash are different persons, they have different feelings bla bla bla the entire anime, and in the end they merge like they were a single person.
Jun 20, 2010 12:20 AM

Jan 2010
I'm surprised at myself for crying. I knew he'd come back in the end, but still.

I was originally going to give it a 8/10, but the ending made me bump it up to a 9.
Sep 25, 2010 4:45 PM
Aug 2010
I liked the show. But it was confusing, short and the battles were terrible, but you know what? I'm gonna give it a 9/10, only because that's my fucking favorite game for PS2 forever! Of course, if I had not played the game, I'd probably given a 6/10 or a 7/10...
Oct 31, 2010 10:06 PM

Aug 2010
sorry couldn't find any other forums on the shows ending. i'm thinking of watching this show but i want to know does it have good action/romance in the end can you tell that luke and tear are together as a couple in the end
Nov 25, 2010 9:36 AM

Apr 2007
For a final battle, that wasn't so great. The Legretta/Sync battle was better than this. Though it was cool seeing more of their artes and you're still an awesome villain, Van.

Well I can't say I cared much for the story, but overall it was interesting. It's a shame that somethings weren't explained too properly, due to being rushed, and I was confused for most of the first half. This did make me want to play the game at least, which I will get to someday.
Jan 2, 2011 7:23 PM

Aug 2010
Though most of the fights weren't very interesting, I loved the non actionary parts in particular the Luke/Tear relationship.

9/10 from me.
Jan 4, 2011 4:24 PM

Sep 2010
The game was better, but I did like how they added some flashbacks in the series like Asch coming home to see Luke with his parents after the kidnapping in episode 9 (I think) that made me almost cry. Also the added scenes at the end of the series that were not in the game's ending. I was hoping they would have at least animated the spa sidequest for the lolz, but they didn't.

Overall 7/10 for the anime and 9/10 for the game.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 12, 2011 12:11 AM

Sep 2008
I went into the series thinking it would be a great ride since the game was so highly praised with Symphonia, but from early on, every single character was such a faggot, well maybe except the floating thing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2011 3:58 PM

Dec 2008
awesome-49 said:
i'm thinking of watching this show but i want to know does it have good action/romance in the end can you tell that luke and tear are together as a couple in the end

it has sufficient action IMO, and a happy ending. as regards romance, well, not really, unless you read from whatever subtext you prefer to concentrate on -- there is no kissing, no display of physical affection, no direct words from luke to anyone (the scene where he quotes original-luke's words back to natalia doesn't count since he only says it because she asks him, and the subtext i read there is that she's more into asch than him). there are hints of romance, but it's left open enough that people can interpret it whichever way they want to; sure, there is some canon support for luke being with tear hereafter, but if they imagine luke with guy, that works too. me, i prefer endings like that in many cases, this one included -- when the shown relationships with several people are strong, i like the creators to leave it open who ends up with whom. that way fewer of us get disappointed. :) except for the ones who need to see the kissing, but they should watch shoujo anime, ;).

i liked this anime better than i had expected; i only picked it up because i like suzuki chihiro's work. i haven't played the game, and usually game-based anime leaves way too much context out. but here they put just enough in for things to hang together -- i would have preferred the tedious infodumps about fonons and planet history to be presented in a more integrated way, but oh well. i even liked the fights better than i do in most shounen anime, because they were not repetitive and there was no stupid levelling up with bigger and more ridiculous looking weapons; the CG was pretty nice.

so yeah, not the best anime i've ever seen by a long shot, but not a waste of time either. and technically it was a cut above. but i still want to know where the heck luke/asch were for those two years. (asch's finger did twitch, so i presume they're both in the same body.)
Apr 18, 2011 2:27 PM

Feb 2008
Its a solid 9/10 for me. Great character development IMO and animation for the most part. But since I never played the game, i can see why some people would rate it lower since they know that certain parts may have been edited or cut out entirely from the script. Overall it it great series and deserving more praise than it gets
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» I'm on ep 6, and I REALLY want to drop this now...

Kirukato05 - Jun 19, 2022

7 by Sir-C »»
Feb 26, 9:34 AM

» Differences between the anime and the game?

FactualTakes12 - Apr 18, 2023

3 by FactualTakes12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Nov 16, 2008

78 by AtroceWins »»
Jan 24, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Nov 8, 2008

62 by tokidoki921 »»
Sep 28, 2021 12:07 PM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 25 Discussion

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 30, 2009

35 by Chikipichi »»
Aug 1, 2020 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.