Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2009 12:31 PM

Jan 2008
why watch slice of life anime. It just seems like a waste of time.
for example, while im watching Azumanga Daioh
im grinding my teeth while lookin at the screen, WONDERING
why the hell am i watchin this anime.....ITS TOO DULL AND BORING
im not saying slice of life anime sucks
im just sayin WHATS THE POINT

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 7, 2009 12:39 PM

Dec 2008
slice of life have great characters, but weak plot, so if you value story more than characters you this genre isn't for you.
Apr 7, 2009 12:41 PM

Oct 2008
I agree but I actually enjoyed AD. When I see some viewers complaining about certain anime quickers and ask for more realstic anime, I start wondering about whether they understand the point of watching anime or not. Anime is not supposed to be realistic, it's another form of entertainment and to many, a form of escapism. As cliche as that sounds but anime audience resort to watching anime because it's different and not because it has the same content as movies, books, shows and other media.
Apr 7, 2009 12:42 PM

Feb 2008
Watch Aria.

Then come and ask why we love slice of life.
Apr 7, 2009 12:46 PM

Jan 2008
im not complaining or anything or sayin it sucks
im just saying
i would like to see more entertainment
soo i tend ta watch action oriented anime
mosdefindApr 7, 2009 12:53 PM

Apr 7, 2009 12:51 PM

Oct 2008
That's called complaining.
Apr 7, 2009 12:53 PM

Jun 2008
The score you gave Azudai makes me a sad panda.

:(
(づ°‿°.)づ
Apr 7, 2009 12:55 PM

Sep 2008
Slice of life just ain't for you. Then again, it's not for me either.... Anywho, you probably should have just read it, since it would take up much less time (4 vol vs. 26 eps)
Apr 7, 2009 12:59 PM

Mar 2007
I'd say you're just not mature enough to appreciate it.
You've come a long way, baby.
Apr 7, 2009 1:10 PM

Jan 2008
Kimura said:

i rather watch anime like
DEATH NOTE
AND ONE OUTS

Apr 7, 2009 1:35 PM

Jan 2009
Why watch anything?

People draw different kinds of enjoyment from different kinds of stories.

I like shonen action because it's fun and over-the-top. I like science-fiction or fantasy series because of the creativity put into their design. And I like slice-of-life stories because they tend to focus more on mood and characters.

The kind of enjoyment I get from "Hunter x Hunter" differs from that which I get from "Texhnolyze" which differs from that which I get from "Zettai Shonen" or "Beck."

Variety is the spice of wolf... I mean, life.
Apr 7, 2009 1:49 PM

Jul 2007
mosdefind said:
Kimura said:

i rather watch anime like
DEATH NOTE
AND ONE OUTS

There we go. You prefer fast-paced anime where things happen. Slice-of-life is for relaxation purposes, stress release, a show where all we have to do is watch and take everything in slowly and at our own pace. That's why people like slice-of-life. It's anime you can just... watch.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 7, 2009 1:51 PM

Jul 2008
I think you answered your own problem, didn't you? If you're complaining about not liking slice-of-life and that it's boring, maybe the genre just isn't for you. You even said you'd rather watch anime like Death Note or One Outs, so go watch them. Different people find different things entertaining. It's obviously not your cup of tea. By the way it sounds, youwant something a little faster paced with more plot, and there's plenty of it out there.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 7, 2009 1:54 PM

Jan 2008
i will agree that there were many points in Azumanga Daioh that i was like WTF something happen already, but there are a lot of other SOL anime that have much more interesting characters or set ups that make them enjoyable to watch.

Yata-sama said:
slice of life have great characters, but weak plot, so if you value story more than characters you this genre isn't for you.

that is the best way to put it. watch it for the people in it, not the story (or lack of)
Apr 7, 2009 2:06 PM

Oct 2007
i watch for the character interactions. granted most of the time things are over simplified, but life isn't, its a nice way unwind the day. its like watching mindless action movies, can't have everything blowing up all the time
Apr 7, 2009 2:39 PM

Nov 2008
nyamo said:
its a nice way to unwind the day
More or less. Slice of life is a good way to just sit back and relax and watch some of your favorite characters live out their fictitious lives.
Apr 7, 2009 2:43 PM

Sep 2007
Slice-of-life is a weird... genre? Wait, is it even a genre? It's more like a style of storytelling. Azumanga Daioh is comedy. Aria is sci-fi/drama. Haibane Renmei is drama/fantasy.

I can't even think of something that is just slice-of-life. The fact that you didn't like Azumanga Daioh was probably because you didn't like the comedy, not because it was "slice-of-life".
Apr 7, 2009 2:44 PM

Apr 2007
mosdefind said:

YEAH MAN WHAT'S THE POINT IF IT DOESN'T HAVE GORE AND GOOD OLD T&A. You faggots can keep watching your pussy anime while I watch REAL anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2009 2:48 PM

Feb 2008
Neverender said:

YEAH MAN WHAT'S THE POINT IF IT DOESN'T HAVE GORE AND GOOD OLD T&A. You faggots can keep watching your pussy anime while I watch REAL anime.

I've got my headband and I've got my ramen. Now lets sit down to watch some REAL anime. BELIEVE IT.
Apr 7, 2009 2:48 PM

Oct 2008
Neverender said:
mosdefind said:

ALL HAIL LELOUCH
Apr 7, 2009 2:49 PM

Oct 2007
Neverender said:

now is there really a reason to flame us here? just like other threads, guys liking shoujo, girls liking shounen, to each there own
Apr 7, 2009 2:50 PM
Dec 2008
nyamo said:
Neverender said:

now is there really a reason to flame us here? just like other threads, guys liking shoujo, girls liking shounen, to each there own

The Emperor has spoken, your opinions are now null and void.

Move along.
Apr 7, 2009 2:52 PM

Jun 2008
I love slice of life, it's really not all that different from watching a sitcom really. Most anyway.I love the relaxing feel it gives.
Apr 7, 2009 2:52 PM

Feb 2008
Ahh~ It's a shame sarcasm doesn't reach it's full potential via the internet.
Apr 7, 2009 3:09 PM

Nov 2008
why watch action anime. It just seems like a waste of time.
for example, while im watching Soul Eater
im not saying action anime sucks
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Apr 7, 2009 3:11 PM

Sep 2007
Rebella said:
When I see some viewers complaining about certain anime quickers and ask for more realstic anime, I start wondering about whether they understand the point of watching anime or not. Anime is not supposed to be realistic, it's another form of entertainment and to many, a form of escapism. As cliche as that sounds but anime audience resort to watching anime because it's different and not because it has the same content as movies, books, shows and other media.

By saying that, I don't think YOU understand the point of anime. Like others said, Different people like watching different things. Unlike in America, animation isn't just for the unrealistic and superpowers and whatnot.

In Japan, sometimes animation is done in lieu of live-action production. Part of the reason for this is that "real" or not, anime can go some places that live-action could NEVER go. Don't believe me? Watch the anime series of Great Teacher Onizuka or Gokusen and then watch their counterpart live-action series (Gokusen/GTO).

Honestly, even series like Whistle! or Genshiken, which are completely realistic, would come across dramatically different if they were done in live-action. However, these types of anime series are considered to be VERY entertaining by many (including me). If there was truly no demand for slice-of-life series, then Japan would have quit making them by the time Otaku no Video or Golden Boy were made, both of which were made around 15 yrs ago.

naikou said:
I can't even think of something that is just slice-of-life.

Genshiken is.
Major_GApr 7, 2009 3:18 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Apr 7, 2009 3:21 PM

Jul 2008
LolitaDecay said:
Neverender said:

I've got my headband and I've got my ramen. Now lets sit down to watch some REAL anime. BELIEVE IT.

LET MEH RELEASE MUH BONKAI!

Slice of life is kickass it's just that your watching Azushit.
Apr 7, 2009 3:57 PM

Jan 2008
naikou said:
Slice-of-life is a weird... genre? Wait, is it even a genre? It's more like a style of storytelling. Azumanga Daioh is comedy. Aria is sci-fi/drama. Haibane Renmei is drama/fantasy.

I can't even think of something that is just slice-of-life. The fact that you didn't like Azumanga Daioh was probably because you didn't like the comedy, not because it was "slice-of-life".

your probably right
but ive tried some slice of life anime's and i just cant get into completing them

Apr 7, 2009 3:58 PM

Mar 2009
mosdefind said:

That's a bit like criticizing chess by comparing it with halo... They're different genres used for different purposes. Not everyone wants to watch over-exaggerated battle sequences and such day-in-and-day-out. If that floats your boat then fine, but you're missing the point of the genre by pointing out that it lacks something that it's not supposed to have in the first place.
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 7, 2009 4:00 PM

Jan 2009
because it's enjoyable. do we need any other reason than that? if you enjoy it you watch it, if not you don't. it's pretty simple
Apr 7, 2009 4:04 PM

Jan 2008
rTz said:
mosdefind said:

That's a bit like criticizing chess by comparing it with halo... They're different genres used for different purposes. Not everyone wants to watch over-exaggerated battle sequences and such day-in-and-day-out. If that floats your boat then fine, but you're missing the point of the genre by pointing out that it lacks something that it's not supposed to have in the first place.

the genre isnt for me but i do watch some from time too time
it doesent lack anything
just not my cup of tea

but my real question is why do people fascinate over these anime's

Apr 7, 2009 4:09 PM

Mar 2009
In general, they favor character-development and inter-character relationships over the story lines and action sequences in other genres of anime.
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 7, 2009 4:11 PM

Sep 2007
Major_G said:

naikou said:

Genshiken is.
No way. Genshiken is a pure-blooded comedy if I've ever seen one.
Apr 7, 2009 4:12 PM

Jan 2008
rTz said:
In general, they favor character-development and inter-character relationships over the story lines and action sequences in other genres of anime.

im more of a plot kind of guy

Apr 7, 2009 4:24 PM

Mar 2008
"Slice of life" is great when your just really stressed out and have a fucked up life
Apr 7, 2009 4:30 PM

Nov 2008
traed said:
"Slice of life" is great when your just really stressed out and have a fucked up life
traed said:

QFT!

Aria is a good example. Whenever I watch, I always feel warm inside and relaxed. It also helps me have a positive outlook towards life itself.
Apr 7, 2009 4:34 PM

Jan 2008
traed said:

if my life whas fucked up
there's no way in hell i'll watch "Slice of Life"
it will just provoke me to kill myself even faster
im just joking
i cant look at a screen when im depressed and watch fictional characters goo through up and downs in there life.......... mainly up, when im depressed
it just worsens my depression of my fucked up life
i need something i can escape in and watch non stop with awesome plot
like DEATH NOTE

Apr 7, 2009 4:41 PM

Mar 2009
mosdefind said:
traed said:

if my life whas fucked up
there's no way in hell i'll watch "Slice of Life"
it will just provoke me to kill myself even faster
im just joking
i cant look at a screen when im depressed and watch fictional characters goo through up and downs in there life.......... mainly up, when im depressed
it just worsens my depression of my fucked up life
i need something i can escape in and watch non stop with awesome plot
like DEATH NOTE

Trading one form of escapism for another, eh?
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 7, 2009 5:12 PM

Mar 2008
It's all in the execution brah, every genre has greats.

Once you grow out of silly action series, there are times when you want to watch something that focuses a bit more on character interaction and dialogue. I am assuming you are also the type that doesn't like slower paced drama films either.

For some people action does not equal entertainment. The one genre that bores me the most is action actually, since i could care less for a bunch of idiots fighting each other for silly reasons.
Apr 7, 2009 5:16 PM

Jun 2008
It's probably better than majority of everyone else's life, that's why.
Apr 7, 2009 5:19 PM

Mar 2008
Kittenia said:
It's probably better than majority of everyone else's life, that's why.

Eh i don't know, i've rarely ever envied a slice of life character's life.
Apr 7, 2009 5:33 PM

Jan 2009
If you don't like something don't watch it, if you do then watch it. That's not THAT hard to figure out. I hate slice of life as well. I feel like its a soap opera disguised as anime XD. I find that it is something geared towards a female audience, the same way shounens are aimed at males. Generally speaking of course. Just not my thing but I can see why people watch it and like it though.

Apr 7, 2009 5:34 PM

Mar 2009
M_A said:

For some people action does not equal entertainment. The one genre that bores me the most is action actually, since i could care less for a bunch of idiots fighting each other for silly reasons.

This. I like action when it compliments the story, not vice versa. I have a hard time getting into series that are totally action-oriented--there needs to be at least some character development and inter character relationships.

Of course, I'm weird by some people's standards..
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 7, 2009 5:39 PM

Sep 2007
naikou said:

Wha...? Have you ever been to an anime club or a convention? Genshiken = Geek/otaku life.

...no - really.

M_A said:

I like both. Shounen is my second favorite genre. Slice-of-life is my first. While watching Kenshiro make a tank explode by punching & kicking it is exciting, it still doesn't hold a candle to the feeling of watching Sho Kazamatsuri score from an excellent play and knowing that with practice, I can do the same thing.
Major_GApr 7, 2009 5:48 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Apr 7, 2009 5:50 PM

Sep 2007
Major_G said:
naikou said:
Major_G said:

naikou said:

Genshiken is.

Wha...? Have you ever been to an anime club or a convention? Genshiken = Geek/otaku life.

...no - really.
You must hang around some awesome otakus. The ones at the anime clubs and conventions I've been to were more interested in pocky, ramune, and Caramel Dansen than discussing the relative strengths of their favorite animators or defending the notion of "good cosplay".

Besides, "slice-of-life" is just the way the story is told. Genshiken's genre is definitely comedy.
Apr 7, 2009 5:52 PM

Dec 2008
personally i dont like like the random pointless fighting never ending animes like naruto or bleach but i do like mecha animes as long as they dont focus everything on the mecha (like mobile suit gundamn wing to evangelion) evangelion wasnt all focused on the mecha but mbsgw did and that ruined that anime in my oppinion. but if ure in colledge or school and are stressed out or are stressed out at a job its nice too watch some slice of life and realize that theres worse crap out there that u could be dealing with but if u want to just be happy for a bit instead of watching just pure relaxation u could mix the slice of life with comedy for those days when u just wanna laugh. well thats what i do anyway it all depends on the day and the mood i guess
Fur Sure
Apr 7, 2009 6:39 PM
Dec 2008
why watch anime
Apr 7, 2009 7:03 PM

Oct 2008
why watch slice of life? because it's a nice break from GAR GAR IM CHARGING MA LAZERRR (not saying that's a bad thing) and it's also as M_A said - it focuses more on dialogue and character interaction, which is something a lot of people enjoy.
Apr 7, 2009 7:25 PM

Jan 2008
Because it's a nice change to the action packed anime's like gundam.

Banner made by suikka
Apr 7, 2009 11:36 PM

Feb 2009
Because they're beautiful. =)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 12 minutes ago

1 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

75 by Catalano »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

14 by Rairuchela »»
14 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

977 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 12 hours ago

20 by Rinenka »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.