MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

How Many of You Actually Play Mahjong?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Saki »» How Many of You Actually Play Mahjong?

Pages (3) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 »
Poll: Do You Actually Play Mahjong?

04-08-09, 10:13 AM

I play Japanese mahjong quite a lot, both online on Tenhou and with friends. I managed a pretty awesome dealer 9-han (baiman) hand once, but I wouldn't say I'm particulary good. 8kyu rank on Tenhou. :p

Mahjong anime are so much more awesome if you actually play the game.

04-09-09, 5:22 AM

I managed to get a non-dealer (iirc, it was more than a year ago) yakuman once (with kokushi muso hand). I usually go for some high scoring hands, so I either win big or lose big. :)

I'm kinda reluctant to play on Tenhou though...even with multiple guides available in English, I'm still afraid to screw up. XD

04-09-09, 5:35 AM

Tried Hong kong version of Mahjong and I liked it, I might try the japanese version if I have the chance to.

04-09-09, 2:30 PM

I grew up playing this game with my family nearly weekly, so I play fairly frequently. Only issue is that the rules are slightly different than the style I play (Hong Kong Style), so it takes just a little while for me to adjust, but most of the aspects are about the same. (If there's a duplicate of this message, it's because the dormitory internet is a bleeding pile of dung).

04-09-09, 2:38 PM

I'll give it a try but I probably won't like it as much as go.

04-09-09, 10:55 PM

when u say mahjong as in the chinese way of playing with 4 people around a table right?

04-10-09, 6:09 AM

FallenHope said:
when u say mahjong as in the chinese way of playing with 4 people around a table right?
You're on the Saki discussion board, did you think we were talking about the matching sets pyramid game? :)

04-10-09, 9:54 AM

My best yet. :D

Tsumo, Baiman. 4000-8000 ten each.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2dubhy0.jpg

Damn, missing 2 points for the highscore list. >_<

04-10-09, 2:05 PM

I've been wanting to learn for a while but never did. Mostly because my parents don't know how... Although my dad knows how to play go. ):

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection

04-10-09, 4:18 PM

never played before
but after watching I would like to learn i'm going to use the links provided here to attempt to pick it up ^.^
~May you continue being the Messiah....

04-10-09, 4:32 PM

My Grandma is a tileshark hardcore hustler (among old ladies :P) and she is my mahjong sensei. I'm pretty good if I must say so myself. Japanese mahjong is essentially the same as Chinese, but the scoring is different. I'll pick it up before the show is over tho.

(Riichi is a pretty fun rule to play with, though I must admit ;))

04-10-09, 9:00 PM

I play a lot with friends and relatives. Taiwanese, Chinese, American and jap style.

04-11-09, 1:23 AM

chibuki said:
I used to play it on... I think it was NES if not Sega Genesis. Never knew what I'm doing; not interested.
same...only people like my Grandma and Grandpa knew how to play this without fail.

04-11-09, 4:32 PM

AkaKizuato said:
Yes I do play Mahjong. Taiwanese and Guangdong Mahjong, but not Japanese Mahjong. I can understand mostly on what they're doing in Saki but not the scoring scheme. I have to read the Japanese scorings. It's pretty much the same as Guangdong Mahjong though

same here:P

04-27-09, 10:17 AM

My parents taught me Chinese/Taiwanese Mahjong, but I forget it and I've never played it at all. But the Japanese version seems so cool >.<

04-27-09, 7:35 PM

I play fairly frequently with a couple of my friends. But I really suck at it rofl.

04-28-09, 1:08 PM

Yes, I play mahjong. But it's not the Japanese kind though, I play the cantonese version.
For all due respect sir, that's pretty screwed up right there.

04-29-09, 1:34 PM

I <3 mahjong and I could take you all on :P

04-29-09, 11:48 PM

i rarely have the chance to play, but i've played both 13 and 17 tiles. hardest part for me is scoring, which i just leave to others, easiest being tile counting and elimination in the end game

granted, i haven't started watching the anime yet, but i feel like for a lot of these types of anime (hikaru no go, shion no ou, etc.), not knowing the game doesn't undermine the character development and the sense of urgency at all. i never played shogi in my life but still enjoyed shion no ou a great deal.

04-30-09, 9:19 PM

besides the one that comes on windows vista? nope, no idea how to play. i barely even win the matching one.

04-30-09, 9:37 PM

Never played, never will. No interest in it at all. I'm watching this show cuz it's cute, not for the game (same as I watched Shion no Ou for the story and Hikaru no Go for the development).

04-30-09, 9:53 PM

kisami said:
besides the one that comes on windows vista? nope, no idea how to play. i barely even win the matching one.

Matching mahjong :: mahjong = solitaire :: texas hold'em

05-11-09, 10:43 PM

My friends and I know how to play, but not how to score... so we all pay a buck if the winner draws from the wall and two bucks if your discard gives mahjong.... Every once in a while, I pick up a book and try to figure out the scoring rules and give up.

05-13-09, 5:06 PM

I play it, I suck, but I play it none the less :P

05-13-09, 7:19 PM

HELL YEAH
Modified by juun, 05-13-09, 10:50 PM

05-14-09, 10:29 PM

Never in my entire life. I'd love too now that I've watched Saki. Though, I can't really understand much of what's going on.

05-17-09, 11:44 AM

I play net mahjong daily on Tenhou.net and Toupai-ou.com
I never played in real life yet, because I don't like HK rules, and there is no place(yet) to play riichi mahjong in this little country.

I recently was about to buy a set what I saw in a store, but you need 4 people to play and I don't know that many people.

05-17-09, 12:07 PM

Never played it, but I saw it once in real life and it looks interesting but very difficult. So I might try it one day, but on the moment rather not..

05-17-09, 11:17 PM

I always thought Mahjong was single-player... then this show came along and blew my mind away. Now Mahjong is a four-player battle with blushing maids and tacos.

I might try it, but it seems too confusing.

05-24-09, 12:08 PM

playing mahjong against the computer or online is very different than playing mahjong irl. it kicks it up a notch on a psychological level

05-27-09, 9:02 AM

HELL YEAH v2.0

05-27-09, 9:06 AM

i love mahjong, and i play net mahjong all the time
i actually have a set that i bust out whenever i get the opportunity

和風と暖かい天気

05-27-09, 10:10 AM

Shinkenshi said:
playing mahjong against the computer or online is very different than playing mahjong irl. it kicks it up a notch on a psychological level

And there's no computer that reminds you to give Pon,etc. and does the scoring for you.
Since I don't know a lot of the yaku (I only aim for Yaku-Pai xD), I could mess up a real game by declaring tsumo or whatever when the game is not finished.

05-27-09, 9:54 PM

HoaRy said:
Shinkenshi said:

And there's no computer that reminds you to give Pon,etc. and does the scoring for you.
Since I don't know a lot of the yaku (I only aim for Yaku-Pai xD), I could mess up a real game by declaring tsumo or whatever when the game is not finished.

That probably wasn't very clear. I mean real games kicks it up a notch in terms of psychological battle and counting tiles, not computer games.

06-01-09, 10:27 PM

How come the game sometimes says "no multiplier", making you unable to win? :(

06-01-09, 10:30 PM

Mahjong would be too complicated for me, but the pieces are pretty.
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...

06-02-09, 12:05 AM

gr33nhippo said:

Your hand is complete, but you don't have a yaku then.
Have a list (wikipedia) ready or learn them by hard ;)

06-02-09, 12:41 AM

gr33nhippo said:

http://eng.riichi.nl/rules.htm has a couple of good .pdf files with rules and a handy cheat sheet.

06-03-09, 3:21 PM

ahh the yaku eh? thanks ^^

06-03-09, 3:25 PM

Played it a lot with my family when I was younger. It's been a couple years since the last time.

06-11-09, 9:19 PM

Tried playing Go, but im bad at that, never played mahjong or this weird version of mahjong in saki either

06-23-09, 2:52 PM

Just starting to learn riichi mahjong.

If you're interested in trying to learn, here's the sources I took a look at:

http://mahjong-europe.org/filer/riichisheet.pdf - Riichi Mahjong Cheat Sheet; print it out, have it on hand when you're playing
http://www.tenhou.net - play online here
http://arcturus.su/tenhou/ - guide to tenhou and how to set it up
http://www.osamuko.com/ - mahjong strategy blog
http://www.reachmahjong.com/ - articles on strategy, rules, how to play; chapter 6 and 7 were particularly helpful

I've got an okay idea on what the hands are and some of their names (in english, japanese character, and japanese spelling), but scoring is still pretty hard for me. I use the cheat sheet atm to figure out scores but hopefully in the future, I'll be able to know off the top of my head.

It's fun. Give it a try.

06-23-09, 2:58 PM

I've had a mahjong game that has a Mulan theme that I bought couple of years back. Played it for many months, but stopped now...

08-17-09, 3:23 PM

katreus said:
Just starting to learn riichi mahjong.

If you're interested in trying to learn, here's the sources I took a look at:

http://mahjong-europe.org/filer/riichisheet.pdf - Riichi Mahjong Cheat Sheet; print it out, have it on hand when you're playing
http://www.tenhou.net - play online here
http://arcturus.su/tenhou/ - guide to tenhou and how to set it up
http://www.osamuko.com/ - mahjong strategy blog
http://www.reachmahjong.com/ - articles on strategy, rules, how to play; chapter 6 and 7 were particularly helpful

I've got an okay idea on what the hands are and some of their names (in english, japanese character, and japanese spelling), but scoring is still pretty hard for me. I use the cheat sheet atm to figure out scores but hopefully in the future, I'll be able to know off the top of my head.

It's fun. Give it a try.

Try http://www.mahjongtime.com/index.html?partnerId=865
I like how the Scoring is explained for Japanese Style and some other styles.

You can also play there some games against the bots to gain some experience. Then you can play against other players. I play with my friends from Europe there ;)

Enjoy!

08-20-09, 7:21 PM

ROFL

Random playing and I got 3 Chi's and 1 Kan ... I guess this isn't any good but it seems awesome xDD

[img=http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5134/wtfz.png]

www.belial.pt

11-06-09, 5:50 AM

I'm very tempted to pick it up having watched half the show, I'd love to know more about what the terms mean.. the translator's notes help a little, but not particularly.. so while I get the general idea of what's going on, it'd be better to know the ins and outs of it all... and I know my Dad really enjoys it, maybe when I get home from uni I could surprise him by challenging him to a game, though I'm almost certain I'd lose.. he's really good at these sorts of games.. still, might be fun.

11-06-09, 5:51 AM

*raises hand*

I will PON everything

11-08-09, 5:04 PM

I play mahjong but I kinda dislike it, I always get forced into playing it with my family as a filler (I don't get why people prefer playing 4 players instead of 3... especially if that 4th filler is gonna be me).

I guess I'm really similar with our main heroine here... though I don't have a way to keep my score at 0 xD

Oh, and I don't know know how to feel the cards either, but my dad does though xD

11-27-09, 10:58 PM

"I play Mahjong frequently" (about 3-4days a month)

I do ^^ and I love it.. It's a game were you'd never see the same thing twice.. EVER!! (if you'd actually do the math.. chances are really near 0%) anyways.. I don't understand everything about mahjong, like some really rules that are applied in only some particular areas and stuff but i play Japanese Riichi Mahjong and Hong Kong style Mahjong

I was so happy that there was a mahjong club in my city and after i joined them, I realised that most of the members know about Akagi and Saki XD

I got no proof what-so-ever but if I can say it.. I think have good mahjong skills ^^
Why I am so lazy to make a sig...

01-07-10, 7:27 PM

MahjongLover said:
Just starting to learn riichi mahjong. Try http://www.mahjongtime.com/index.html?partnerId=865
I like how the Scoring is explained for Japanese Style and some other styles.

You can also play there some games against the bots to gain some experience. Then you can play against other players. I play with my friends from Europe there ;)

Enjoy!

>Mahjongtime
>Pay to play
>20% rake
>Have to win ~45% of the games you play to break even.
>MahjongLover
>1 post
>Affiliate ID

Modified by Akagi, 03-18-10, 10:45 PM

Pages (3) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy