Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 21, 2014 3:08 PM

Sep 2012

Brau having all those capabilities out of nowhere is an asspull, Pluto being controlled by the horns doesn't make sense, and Roosevelt's plan predicts something absurd, which would be that someone in Persia would launch an attack to conveniently kill humanity but keep robots alive, like he wanted. How the fuck would he predict that would be the outcome?

All in all, 8/10.
Oct 25, 2014 5:13 AM

Nov 2011
Engaging storyline with very interesting characters. Ending felt a bit underwhelming though but I thought it kept the momentum and balance well all the way from the very beginning. 8/10. Anime adaptation when?

Edit: I hope MAPPA adapts this in the future as I've heard that they plan to adapt something that is "old".
Oct 26, 2014 10:57 AM

Oct 2012
insan3priest said:
Great stuff, am I the only one to think that 20th Century Boys was weak compared to this and Monster?

I know this post was written long ago, but eh.

I feel the same way. I actually prefer Pluto over Monster, and Monster over 20th Century Boys. The key reason why is length. I felt that since Pluto only had 8 volumes of story, it felt far more focused. 20th Century Boys had some problems in that front, because it was just too long. Urasawa has a tendency to be too ambitious with his works, so the final acts of all of his manga tend to experience some collapse from all the characters and plot points he adds in.
Jan 29, 2015 8:23 AM

Oct 2011
Very nice way to end it. Just about all of the main cast got ample time to develop and the cliffhanger with Brau-1589 was a fantastic way to end the manga. 9/10.
Feb 9, 2015 7:30 PM

Oct 2012
Uh, what's with the people calling it cliffhanger, it's a perfectly easy to understand ending, as for the bear - it could have even been just an hypotethical existance and the manga would still be great.

But if you realy want someone as much as come and point a finger for you, I guess I can give it a go - from the last dialog between brau and bear, we can pretty much guess that they are acquaintainces for one reason or another - this leads to a conclusion that is highly likely to be:
They are originally similiar model of robot - specifically the 'perfect AI'

Don't forget the name Roosweld(can't remember exact wording, but something similiar at the very least) which the bear bears(I couldn't skip making that pun!)..this could be just for convenience, but it could also mean that he is similiar to Atom and Abra, as in someone else's consciousness was implanted into him.
And the idea behind that person was probably something along the lines of eden project prosperity, while at the same time - hatred for the rest of humanity.

As for the manga itself - I loved the plot, but it was not the thing that I enjoyed the most - most entangling was the unique world it had, it's realy an out of line view on how humanity could develop. I saw a tonn of sci fi settings, but none of them were ones I could take seriously, but this one had realy suitable policies, as in I could accept such world easily. It may not be perfect or too complex, but it shines in it's own way.

Even though it's not something as grand as monster or 20th century boys - it certainly is worth looking at.
I avoided this manga for a few years, since the reviews despite being highly ranked were uninspiring, and not discribing the most important details, which would actually promore the manga further.

A 9/10 from me.
Feb 16, 2015 11:02 AM

Nov 2011
People can say what they like, for me this was better than 20th Century Boys, Urasawa's best piece of work.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 2, 2015 5:22 AM
Oct 2013
Zee530 said:
People can say what they like, for me this was better than 20th Century Boys, Urasawa's best piece of work.

The same line of thought I've rated all of his works as 10.
May 24, 2015 2:25 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I didn't expect that ending to be honest. It does make sense though that Brau 1589 did something after that one on one with Atom
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 15, 2015 5:04 PM

Sep 2014
A special Urasawa class 10 from me.

3rgoJun 23, 2015 8:05 PM
Jul 22, 2015 6:57 AM

Mar 2008
Didn't really get this 'so this is Atom's heart' thing....
Jan 4, 2016 6:17 PM

Apr 2013
This was quite an engaging story. It could have been much better if the ending wasn't so rushed.
May 26, 2016 3:40 AM
Apr 2016
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
Great stuff, am I the only one to think that 20th Century Boys was weak compared to this and Monster?

Joke of the decade.

20th CB is something out of this world.

Pluto was mediocre. I gave it a 7. It was ok but nothng spectacular. The fact that i wasnt into the characters at all made me understand that this is a problem.
Aug 17, 2016 10:31 PM
Jul 2018
Still confused...

Well I loved all the characters
Dec 3, 2016 8:09 PM

May 2014
I absolutely loved this manga. Although I agree that the teddy bear probably could have just been left out, it didn't bother me too much. Even without much time, you kinda get the gist of how the bear wanted to eliminate the other powerful robots so that it could be in charge after all non-robot life was wiped out. I REALLY need to get to 20th Century Boys now though! If what I've heard is true, I might enjoy it even more than Pluto and Monster :O
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Dec 14, 2016 5:10 AM
Jun 2015
I just finished reading Pluto and I do not think that it was every reviled who was that human who jumped between building and what their purpose was because it was that scene that caused me get into the manga I do not think that I have found an answer, could somebody help me.
Feb 12, 2017 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
A bit underwhelming ending for me with some loose ends but still a pretty engaging read, however I couldn't care much abt the characters except for maybe Atom and Gesicht. The atmosphere was great tho, 8/10.
removed-userFeb 12, 2017 1:28 PM
Feb 16, 2017 6:26 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
nice end chapter, closing the plot, and all the misteries!!!

The world is safe, but there are a lot of questions about the future, but this is no part of this manga, is only "if"....

This manga is for enjoy with a beautifuls draws...9/10.
Mar 4, 2017 7:57 PM

Apr 2016
Great conclusion to the series. All problem and mysteries have been answered. Pluto redeemed himself, very touching. And i love how the author saved 1 page to honor the 7 great robot that has fallen, each has their own trait and story yet they're all very intriguing and played major part for the story, my favorite out of them is perhaps North#2 although he died very soon in this manga.The final shot gave me chill down my spine, it was unexpected and very thought-provoking. 9/10 for this great work.
May 5, 2017 5:21 PM

Jan 2016
Ahh maybe I wasn't paying attention enough, I found some of the things with a personality split robot confusing and the ending wasn't TOOOOO bad.
Seriously well written though, even at early chapters e.g. 27 Atom mentions stuff like "He and Pluto are one and the same". Really did enjoy the characters, made me emotional at times.

8/10 for me :) really enjoyed it, I'll add it to my favorites (Though I haven't read enough manga)

Questions:
Why did Atom cry after looking through Gesicht's memories?
How did Sahad's one tulip remain standing?
Who or why did feel Gesicht hatred when he died?

"Even if the world ends, I won't let you go"

May 22, 2017 8:12 AM

Mar 2015
I absolutely loved this reimagination of Astro Boy. Growing up with watching the 2003 series, I always felt that Tenma was too antagonistic in that series. But in this series, we could see how he loved Tobio and Atom in a different way and had accepted it. It's an amazing series, totally loved the reimagination. And Atom was made pretty cute too in this series and more human-like than its original.

Aug 31, 2017 10:12 PM

Mar 2017
I agree with most things said here and lowered my 10/10 Rating to a 9/10 because it leaves too much open-ended or open to interpretation. But I have to admit it's hilarious how people get butthurt over America "always being the bad guys" in fiction.

My favorite character was probably Gesicht, which I guess makes sense because we learn the most about him. I think it almost got a bit too sappy and dramatic towards the end, but it didn't feel forced and ended up being legitimately moving.
Apr 2, 2018 7:19 PM

Aug 2016
I actually chuckled a bit when that teddy bear got impaled. you dont need to know more when it´s shown that thing got f*cked up. end of the story.

MichaelJacksonApr 11, 2018 4:47 PM
:v
Jun 7, 2019 7:40 PM
Mar 2016
It was a good read.

I didn't like the ending that much. It would have been better to keep it in smaller scale. I culdn't really feel the tension of the whole earth being destroyed out of nowhere. Could have been made simpler, or at least less dumb (did the anti-proton bomb atom wrote even have meaning? The prophecy of the witches in the park was real?)

It just felt like a bit of a letdown. All that buildup for Bora and it was a godamned farming robot. Like, what the hell? I expeted to see one badass robot not that... Poor kiddo was traumatized by a farming tool...

I also didnt like how atom stole the show from my man Gesicht. Look, I know Japan loves the little kid, but this was all about Gesicht. His death was well done, but seeing how it was about Atom in the end left a sour taste in my mouth...

And don't get me started on Brau. Just like Bora (an the teddy bear) he was totally ignored. He was IMHO the greatest unknown in the whole manga, but we get nothing on him.
Oct 14, 2019 4:45 AM
Sep 2019
Don’t know why soo many folks hated the ending. I, for one, loved everything about it.

It was obvious that Gesicht’s child (500 Zeus kid) was killed by Adolf’s brother due to which Gesicht was forced to kill the man who murdered his child.

I think Brau killing Roosevelt implies that the universal cycle of revenge/hatred/killing won’t end soo easily. Especially since it took place right after the panel where Atom was asking the professor if the world would ever cease to “hate”.

The Central Asian (Persian) war took inspiration from the Iraq War (which lol turned out soo great for everyone in the region didn’t it?)

Overall 10/10 manga for me. The emotional weight of the story along with the themes (about the hopelessness of war, whether robots SHOULD be capable of having emotions such as humans) made this a terrific adventure
Nov 23, 2019 8:15 AM
Mar 2019
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

No I actually agree with you. I honestly consider Pluto and Monster as tied for Urasawa's best work. 20th Century Boys is still a fantastic manga, but it doesn't have the same level of thematic depth and richness as Pluto and Monster.
Dec 14, 2019 12:14 AM

Aug 2017
Fantastic read. Great story. Anti-climatic ending.
Jan 1, 2020 4:41 PM

Aug 2017
I don't really gate the distaste towards the open ending. It's a common thing in Urasawa's work. The whole Dr Rossvelt thing reminded me of the "Future" story arc of "Phoenix" manga by Osamu Tezuka, it also had a powerful supercomputer telling humans what to do. So Urasawa probably made a reference.
Feb 16, 2020 2:04 PM
May 2019
The name Robita seems also a reference to Phoenix's "Future" and "Ressurection"
Apr 7, 2020 11:37 PM

Dec 2014
Brau-1589 became Bro-1589. I still miss Gesicht.
Jun 27, 2020 3:02 PM

Sep 2017
Some people really bitching about the open ending and world building loose threads when they haven't even read Astro Boy in the first place... Great Manga anyway , I think it compares to Monster & 20thCB , the plot wasn't as strong but he was limited due to the fact that isn't really a standalone manga so I'm taking this into account. The feels were definitely more present with 65 chapters than with the ~200 chapters of Monster & 20CB.
10/10 I'll definitely read Astro Boy in the future :)
yikes
Jul 9, 2020 8:44 AM

Feb 2019
Naoki my guy never let me down with his mangas another masterpiece by him, Brau-1589 was the MVP. The ending looked much more like of a cliffhanger.
Aug 12, 2020 12:01 PM

Jul 2015
Really good manga overall. It began to tail off towards the end, mostly after Gesicht dies. Still I enjoyed it overall, even if the ending felt somewhat rushed.
Oct 9, 2020 1:06 AM

Jun 2020
amazing read, naoki urasawa never dissapoints
Dec 21, 2020 11:26 AM

Nov 2013
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 8, 2021 9:40 AM

Dec 2013
In retrospective it probably is his best manga. It doesn't have as many flaws as Monster and doesn't actually shit the bed like 20thCB.
Feb 8, 2021 9:40 AM

Dec 2013
In retrospective it probably is his best manga. It doesn't have as many flaws as Monster and doesn't actually shit the bed like 20thCB.
Jul 6, 2021 1:33 PM

Jan 2009
so there is no solution to the cycle of hate since negative emotions like hate is needed for intelligence evolution too

i still do not know what is the unforgivable crime of the brother of Adolf though but still a nice manga about robots and hate
Aug 29, 2021 10:12 PM
Jul 2015
I enjoyed it, not bad at all. I'm going to be honest though the only character I liked was Gesicht so I didn't like any parts of the story that didn't involve him too much. Still an 8/10 from me. I think the ending was honestly kind of really bad.

I still enjoyed most of it and the general ride though. I think Monster is a lot better, but this series is nowhere near as terrible as 20thCB.

Nov 20, 2021 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
Perfection yet again, urasawa. You did it again!!! Mooore please i crave moore
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Nov 20, 2021 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
Perfection yet again, urasawa. You did it again!!! Mooore please i crave moore
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Mar 26, 2022 4:46 PM
Feb 2021
6:41pm 3/26/22
What a fantastic manga with a great message aswell, imo it rivals monster
10/10
Mar 30, 2022 7:46 PM
Oct 2020
The end with the teddy bear what?
Jun 7, 2022 8:15 AM

Nov 2021
enjoyed my stay... great manga
Jun 8, 2022 6:13 PM

Aug 2021
An alright ending I guess, a bit weak compared to the start and the main story but I appreciate what Naoki did. However, I love the way Naoki (and Tezuka as well) portrayed the dynamic between humans and robots, the more I read, the harder it becomes to distinguish between humans and robots but still, the line between them can't be broken. The character building, the emotional portraiting is also something worth mentioning, feel real and impressive.

"Pluto" is very different from Naoki's usual works but still a great read that I would recommended to everyone, a strong 9/10. Now it's time for 20th Century Boys :)
Jun 15, 2022 7:30 PM

May 2022
No wonder Gesicht's hatred is far greater than Pluto.

It ends in a weird way, but it's a perfect conclusion for this "arc" in Astro Boy.
The reason is because Pluto's MC is Gesicht and not Atom. And the revealing of the existence of Gesicht's child and the child was killed by Adolf's brother is so heartbroken, it answers most of the mysteries of the main plot.

I give a solid 10/10 for Pluto.
snowwolf163Jun 28, 2022 12:33 AM
Jun 30, 2022 10:45 AM
Feb 2021
I’m a bit conflicted about the ending. Nevertheless, good manga. Enjoyed fit all the way through
Aug 30, 2022 9:31 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This is the kind of ending I expected, Astro is really indeed the strongest robot.
Oct 24, 2022 10:32 AM

May 2021
Decent manga, I liked it more than Monster, the little sister was annoying asf though, I think there were some loose threads though but anyways I will give it a 6/10.
Jan 30, 2023 1:43 AM
Feb 2022
ngl it was refreshing getting to see a decent ending from this author, but at the same time this series felt a bit rushed towards the end. And that final scene at the end left me scratching my head abit, but i think it was still a better conclusion than whatever monster was.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 7 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 10, 2009

12 by cyandaqil »»
Apr 7, 6:12 PM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 46 Discussion

good-time - Feb 6, 2010

12 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 26, 2:01 AM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 24 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Feb 21, 2010

7 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 25, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 22 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Jan 8, 2010

11 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 25, 7:08 PM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 6 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 12, 2009

25 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 21, 12:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.