Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 5, 2009 8:46 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Great chapter, but the beginning was a little too predictable.
Still, I wonder who / what that teddy bear was / is.
Apr 6, 2009 2:17 AM

Dec 2007
Is it really the end??

My Claims:
Apr 6, 2009 3:15 AM

Dec 2008
I'm sure this manga is about the end. If Pluto is "dead", then there can't be much more to see.
Apr 6, 2009 5:40 AM

Nov 2008
Rotfl, it really looks like the end :O
Apr 6, 2009 7:18 AM

Feb 2009
Brau-1589 is wicked.

Apr 6, 2009 1:03 PM

Feb 2009
To commerate the end to another masterpiece by Naoki Urasawa.
Post 150

Apr 6, 2009 5:03 PM
Jan 2009
Some loose threads, but ultimately, I liked it. I liked the inclusion of Brau-1589.
Apr 7, 2009 1:59 PM

Nov 2007
So... it's over?

The ending was great... with Brau-1589 and that interesting cliffhanger, but... I wouldn't mind more chapters.

I still need to think about my score... but it will probably be a 9/10. Urasawa Naoki never stops to amaze me with his works.
Apr 7, 2009 2:05 PM

Jun 2007
Best last chapter's last page I've ever seen. Nice way to end the manga.
Apr 8, 2009 11:17 PM

Apr 2007
woa, cliffhanger much?

epic.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Apr 10, 2009 4:43 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah, a tad anticlimactic at the end there with the abrupt end, but you know what, it was nice and to the point. I liked it.

Great manga, the author is on a roll.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 19, 2009 2:50 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, another great manga from this author. Cliffhanger at the end was surprising to say the least. Overall, I enjoyed the series very much. 9/10

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 19, 2009 8:23 PM

Jul 2008
Great series! The teddy bear part's a bit confusing but still a nice ending.

Apr 22, 2009 9:58 PM

Jun 2007
Wow, a little bit of badass from robot Hannibal. Good end to a spectacular story. Gets the Urasawa 10. Now if only someone would scan more Billy Bat.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
May 1, 2009 7:28 PM

Nov 2008
The ending was alright. I am quite confused about the identity of Brau-1589. He's an AI that was confined for killing humans? How did he free himself to kill Pluto?
May 7, 2009 2:21 AM

Jul 2007
arimakenshin said:
The ending was alright. I am quite confused about the identity of Brau-1589. He's an AI that was confined for killing humans? How did he free himself to kill Pluto?

He did not kill Pluto.

Pluto sacrifficed himself to stop Bora-Abra.

He killed the "Teddybear" who was the AI manipulating Abra from the shadows.
May 7, 2009 6:25 AM

Nov 2008
Fai said:
arimakenshin said:

He did not kill Pluto.Pluto sacrifficed himself to stop Bora-Abra.He killed the "Teddybear" who was the AI manipulating Abra from the shadows.

I see. I don't remember who was behind the Teddybear. Can you clarify that? Thanks.
May 19, 2009 9:12 AM

Oct 2008
you only get 2 know that the teddy is called roosevelt, isnt it?
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Jun 16, 2009 7:07 PM

Jul 2007
Way too many loose ends, and Tharacia's computer was way too underdeveloped, along with Brau-1589. I was originally going to give it a 9/10, but it was demoted to an 8/10. It was still decent, though nowhere near 20th Century Boys status.

This whole manga I found to be a tad overrated. I personally think it gets too much hype since the author's made two other brilliant stories (Monster/20th Century Boys), but in reality I found I didn't really give a shit about any of the characters lol.
SinJun 16, 2009 7:16 PM
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jun 30, 2009 9:15 AM

May 2009
Nice manga. I really enjoyed it all the way through.
The story was really interesting, although a bit confusing at times because of the amount of characters.

The cliffhanger ending was awesome, with Brau-1589 throwing that lance at the teddybear A.I.
stAtic91Oct 11, 2009 6:51 AM
Aug 20, 2009 3:03 PM

Aug 2009
Some of the characters seemed, well, robotic at times, but I still enjoyed this series tremendously. It reminds me a little of the movie Blade Runner, which is a good thing.

The conclusion was awesome! I thought it would end with something sappy like Uran crying (which was included in the chapter anyway), so the author didn't disappoint.

Writing is my hobby. My current project is called The Mole: Anime Edition 2.0.
Oct 7, 2009 11:46 PM

Oct 2007
Once again Naoki Urasawa delivers a bad ending to a great manga.

There were just too many things left unfinished with this ending. Who is the teddybear? How did Brau get out and why did he go after the teddy bear?

It would have been a 9, but 8/10 for leaving things unfinished . :|

pretty much seconding:
Sin said:
Way too many loose ends, and Tharacia's computer was way too underdeveloped, along with Brau-1589. I was originally going to give it a 9/10, but it was demoted to an 8/10. It was still decent, though nowhere near 20th Century Boys status.

This whole manga I found to be a tad overrated. I personally think it gets too much hype since the author's made two other brilliant stories (Monster/20th Century Boys), but in reality I found I didn't really give a shit about any of the characters lol.
Dec 13, 2009 7:12 PM

Mar 2009
I have to agree as well, I wanted to know more about Dr. Roosevelt.

Another thing that drags down this manga for me is the complete American prejudice, I'm really sick of seeing the theme "America is ALWAYS the bad guy."
-_____-

I haven't quite decided if I want to be generous enough to give this manga an 8 or if I want to be cruel and give it a 7... I'm leaning more towards 7...
Dec 14, 2009 7:24 PM

Apr 2008
We can't expect a detail ending from Naoki Urasawa. 8/10 It was enteraning.
Dec 28, 2009 9:20 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Well, cliffhanger ending just like always :/

Still, by the way I rate manga, this deserves a 10..
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 13, 2010 5:28 PM
Jun 2007
Of the three Urasawa manga I've read, this one places at the very bottom. Like what was mentioned above, the ending was very anticlamatic--though that can be said for Monster and 20CB as well. Come to think of it, it also is very similar to those two since the plot of Pluto also lost some significant steam as it approached the ending. 7/10 seems generous enough.......
Feb 7, 2010 3:25 PM

Oct 2009
Urasawa's talent to show human's feeling is superb! Great characters as always!
The ending was quite awesome!
Mar 30, 2010 12:04 AM

Oct 2008
Sin said:

i pretty much agree
Apr 9, 2010 7:24 PM

Jun 2008
I fell good about the ending. I wish Geshict would've made it though. I miss him. It really was a great series.

RtheO
Apr 12, 2010 2:36 PM

Mar 2010
Surely Brau-1589 killed Roosevelt because Atom told him to do so? I mean, I can't think of what else Atom would have wanted him to do, when he visited. I'm amused at how Brau-1589 was able to get there so easily, though.

While I would have liked more closure regarding 'Thracia' and the general political aftermath as well, I don't think the ending was *that* open-ended or unsatisfying.
May 6, 2010 5:12 AM

Nov 2008
This ending was so inconclusive, what was the point of introducing Roosevelt if it's not to offer much informations about him? In most of the story he was just sitting there commenting all the events. He barely had any role in the story.
And now that it's the end, the author gives him a role without even develloping it. That was really too late to trying to revive the story by introducing a new sub plot around him.

Brau and Geischt past could've been more develloped as well, I was eager to know what really happened when he killed that human and how his child was killed. I expected some flash back.

This gets a 8 because that was a fun ride, but really I'm let down by this ending.
HooHiraiBunnyMay 6, 2010 7:06 AM
May 11, 2010 1:32 PM

Feb 2008
randomvoice said:

While I would have liked more closure regarding 'Thracia' and the general political aftermath as well, I don't think the ending was *that* open-ended or unsatisfying.

I agree. I liked the ending.... the last page left you wide-eyed with your mouth open. anytime a manga can do that to me I give it high marks. I would have liked more of Dr. Roosevelt though, but I also feel that adding too much of him to the plot, on top of everything else, would've taken away from the "pluto vs atom" plot which is essentially what this manga is about. then people would be complaining that too much was added >_<

and somone said in an eariler post that this manga was "anti-american". please. the political sub-plot was clearly a satire on the US/Irag war. despite how you may feel about the war, most people around the world dont agree with it. but Darius XIV wasnt portrayed like a good guy either.
May 12, 2010 11:54 AM
May 2010
Wonderful ending in my opinion.

Developing Geischt's background would sidetrack the story too much. It told the story of how Geischt developed his emotions and that's all that was needed.

And didn't anyone wonder who Brau was? Much more developed than the strongest robots? Why did he have such a part in the story? Maybe he was the mastermind behind the good guys and the teddy was the mastermind for the bad guys.
May 20, 2010 3:01 PM

Feb 2008
johnxvnxvnxvn said:

And didn't anyone wonder who Brau was? Much more developed than the strongest robots? Why did he have such a part in the story? Maybe he was the mastermind behind the good guys and the teddy was the mastermind for the bad guys.

I wonder this too. I think Atom influenced Brau, but I dont know why. I was thinking Brau respected Atom - but I could be looked too much into it. and I would like to know why Brau killed a human and who that was and why. oh well....
Aug 17, 2010 1:14 PM

Jul 2008
I wish Urasawa cut back to where Dr. Tenma was after Abullah has his meltdown and those cockroaches took his AI (in chapter 58). I assume they then transplanted it into Bora, but it just isn't made clear. Urasawa is rather inconclusive when it comes to details leading up to the climax. I found the same problem in 20th Century Boys as well, there is this one detail that continues to bug me but I won't get into that, haha. Even with a couple of loose ends, Pluto was still a very engaging read, so it gets a high score from me.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Aug 22, 2010 11:58 PM

Apr 2009
The ending was a little underwhelming compared to the rest of the story. I really liked all of the characters that died and didn't really care about the characters that didn't. Some of Atom's lines like MY HATRED IS GREATER THAN YOURS, reminded me of the stuff that gets made fun of in Naruto all the time. lol.

Dr. Roosevelt was clearly that huge machine behind the teddy bear... a robot that couldn't move (so really, a computer).

I have to say... the poorly veiled stabs at USA bugged me a lot. It would've been fine if the author had just come out and said it was about that; what was the point of half renaming the country if he was just going to draw a map of it later on, complete with the names of the states? I don't really enjoy real-life political commentary smugly 'hiding' itself in my entertainment.

I really liked the mystery and how Gesicht's backstory was revealed. I teared up so many times. The setting was fascinating. I can't really wish that the story were longer since the mystery was perfectly paced, but I do wish that the world could be explored more.

I doubt Atom told Brau to kill anyone. That's too backhanded for him. Atom apparently doesn't kill anyone and I doubt he would try to loophole his own morales by asking someone else to.
hikoghertAug 23, 2010 12:46 AM
Oct 1, 2010 1:47 PM

Apr 2009
katsup said:

indeed

its nowhere 20 CB status..

but still it was nice to read..

a little bit predictable but good enough..

though yeah 20 CB is his best creation

the reviews are so overrated... like seriously..
smokesOct 1, 2010 1:54 PM
Oct 27, 2010 7:09 PM

Jul 2009
Hmm, well ... I'm still a bit confused but the story was VERY interesting and engaging. Art and characters are as good as ever. Personally I thought the ending was pretty cool, but was still pretty open (kind of like Monster, actually). I still really enjoyed reading it and it was very engaging, so 9/10
Mar 2, 2011 10:24 PM

Jun 2008
Not as great as Monster....

But still fantastic nonetheless, this mangaka never fails to surprise me and he did it again.

The ending was a bit loose but still solid....an easy 10/10

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Mar 4, 2011 10:07 PM

Jun 2009
Great stuff, am I the only one to think that 20th Century Boys was weak compared to this and Monster?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 10, 2011 2:32 AM

Mar 2010
Like most people, I read Monster, then 20th CB, then Pluto. After the first 2 I was really looking for a shorter series with the same style of storyline and themes. Pluto fulfilled most of my hopes, however I have the same problem with most, as to the character of the teddy bear. To me, he/she/it was one of the more intriguing and interesting characters, and the fact that the bear's story is non-existant was a big let down. I also thought it was stupid to show Gesicht's child in the last chapter, without explaining what happened to him. What's the point of showing him at all?
Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon!
Mar 29, 2011 4:30 PM
May 2010
It was a pretty good manga up until the end it left to many questions unanswered 7/10 imo.
Aug 6, 2011 4:49 AM

Jan 2007
Compared to most I actually quite liked this last chapter, it was ofc not perfect, the journey was definitely better than the destination but overall, I consider this a great manga and I won't lower my score just because the last chapter had a few problems. Also, I would have liked Urasawa to develop the Brau-1589 character a bit more, but oh well.
Sep 11, 2011 1:37 PM

Mar 2010
Huh so thats how it ends..........

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 31, 2011 2:21 AM

Jun 2009
I don't quite see what everyone's problem with Roosevelt is. He was pulling the strings behind the scenes, manipulating people/other robots (Abra in particular) to destroy humanity and make earth a place for only robots to live in. He was a super computer that hated humans (or simply saw himself and robots as superior beings) and wanted to wipe them out. Simple as that. It's really a common theme in Sci-Fi. I think Urasawa didn't explore this character too much because there really wasn't much more to be said about him.

I agree about the Brau thing, though. no explanation why he did that (I can live with that, he was crazy) and especially how the hell he got there. Doesn't matter, awesome manga is awesome.
Nov 26, 2011 12:38 PM
May 2011
grandy_UiD said:
I don't quite see what everyone's problem with Roosevelt is. He was pulling the strings behind the scenes, manipulating people/other robots (Abra in particular) to destroy humanity and make earth a place for only robots to live in. He was a super computer that hated humans (or simply saw himself and robots as superior beings) and wanted to wipe them out. Simple as that. It's really a common theme in Sci-Fi. I think Urasawa didn't explore this character too much because there really wasn't much more to be said about him.

I agree about the Brau thing, though. no explanation why he did that (I can live with that, he was crazy) and especially how the hell he got there. Doesn't matter, awesome manga is awesome.

Totally agree. I was going to give it a 10/10 but Brau-1589 escaping from the Artificial Intelligence Correction Camp and crawling his way to Dr Roosvelt doesn't make any sense.
Regarding Gesicht's child: it is obvious that he was killed by Adolf's brother.
Dec 18, 2011 4:21 PM

Dec 2011
I cant understand why you guys complain so much. I can say the ending was good. I have to admit that its the best ending he ever made (i compare it with 20CB and Monster). You know who the teddy bear is, you know about gesicht child. So basicly you know every major thing about the manga. The only bad thing i can find is tha he dont deepen into Brau's back story (i would love to learn more about him and why he killed that human). And last the part that Brau escapes crawling is a bit strange.

I want to say what i believe about the reason that brau killed that human i believe that he killed him for similar reason that gesicht did. But i am not sure. Maybe Naoki already saw it to us and we just didnt get it. (sorry for my bad English)
Never ending nightmare!
Jan 4, 2012 6:23 PM

Feb 2009
will never look at astro boy the same way again
also this story seems kinda inspired by the iraq war lol
mayweather p4p king

Mar 6, 2012 8:36 AM

Apr 2009
Only things I dont like is that we dont know how Brau knew so much and how he got to Roosvelt at the end. Still a 9/10 manga for me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
May 22, 2012 4:18 AM

May 2011
it was good, but it wasn't /amazing/. i didn't get the same adrenaline as i did from monster & 20cb. towards the middle the manga was good and picked up a lot, but i feel like it really fell towards the end. 8/10
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 7 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 10, 2009

12 by cyandaqil »»
Apr 7, 6:12 PM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 46 Discussion

good-time - Feb 6, 2010

12 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 26, 2:01 AM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 24 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Feb 21, 2010

7 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 25, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 22 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Jan 8, 2010

11 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 25, 7:08 PM

Poll: » Pluto Chapter 6 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 12, 2009

25 by moeyrasheed »»
Jan 21, 12:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.