Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2009 10:55 AM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, now that ending sure surprised me... and was sad, too sad :/ (I feel I'm going to like this anime!)
Apr 5, 2009 6:13 PM

Mar 2009
I wonder how they are going to end the anime...considering the manga is still on going.

I really like the fact they kept the art style consistent with the manga. I really wish we have more shows that would do this.
Apr 5, 2009 7:36 PM

Dec 2007
Just watched it raw cause I don't really know just how long it will take to be subbed. I've read Touch and H2 anyway, so I know pretty well how Adachi sets up his characters.

Wow, that ending came out of nowhere. Looking forward to more!
Apr 5, 2009 7:40 PM

Mar 2008
Anyone know who is gonna sub this??
Apr 6, 2009 2:59 AM

Aug 2007
TheFallingStar said:
I wonder how they are going to end the anime...considering the manga is still on going.

Well, the manga went hiatus around volume 14, and Adachi just started to continue the manga again just recently. I believe he said the anime will follow up just right up until where he went on hiatus, which was like hell for us Adachi followers.

AnimeJunky said:

The people who scanlate the manga said that they are going to sub this.
Apr 6, 2009 6:48 AM

Sep 2008
TheFallingStar said:

I really like the fact they kept the art style consistent with the manga. I really wish we have more shows that would do this.

The Episode Count is still uknown, so it can go on and on and on, following the manga as it's supposed to do.

Just like the regular shounen shows like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.
Apr 6, 2009 11:16 AM

Jan 2009
Apr 6, 2009 3:33 PM

Nov 2008
AnimeJunky said:

Yes. I just finished translating it and Jade Fansubs will be releasing it shortly. It's being timed.

Apr 6, 2009 9:06 PM

Oct 2007
great news, can't wait! will be back to comment once i get it
Apr 6, 2009 10:54 PM

Jul 2008
Well, I'll hold on for that then. It occurs to me this Shiki-subs one will never complete.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 7, 2009 5:22 AM

May 2008
I'm not pleased..they've skipped over a whole boat load of important stuff...the death would have hit a WHOLE lot harder if they had just followed the manga's story line...once again..another anime series that just won't be as good as the manga because they couldn't just make use the source material at hand.
Apr 7, 2009 6:50 AM

Jan 2008
The Shiki-subs I watched was awful.
This first episode was awesome, so I wonder how good the manga might be.

Xenzio said:

The Episode Count is still uknown, so it can go on and on and on, following the manga as it's supposed to do.
Just like the regular shounen shows like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

Or it might as well just stop at some turning point like Hajime no Ippo did, and continue sometime in the future.
Apr 7, 2009 7:07 AM

Dec 2008
Wow after One Outs, Oofuri and Major finally baseball series with batter as main character.
yFANTgirl said:
Whoa, now that ending sure surprised me... and was sad, too sad :/ (I feel I'm going to like this anime!)

For me this was expected and oblivious from the start.
Apr 7, 2009 7:43 AM

May 2008
Well that wasn't quite what I was expecting. Not that it was bad, but I'm a bit worried about how well this series is going to work, especially if they're not following the manga like SilentOne said. Guess I'll keep watching for now, but if it doesn't work out I'll probably just go read the manga instead.
Apr 7, 2009 1:28 PM

Jan 2008
the episode was awesome
so sad T__T

and i really like the art style<3

I'm going to read the manga soon xD
Apr 7, 2009 2:28 PM
Dec 2007
Alright, I was expecting this series to be at least very good since the manga is created by one of my fav mangakas, Adachi-sama, the master of narration and character development, but it seems I overestimated Synergy SP. I don't understand how a studio can screw up a work like this, especially an Adachi one, since the storyboard is basically already done in the manga, you just have to animate it and put some colors, not hard to do eh?

This episode summed up very, very, very briefly a WHOLE volume of the manga (yes, 10 chapters, 200 pages, 1200 drawings!) like if Synergy SP wanted to rush it and just didn't care about the childhood of Wakaba and Koh. I understand that their budget must be very slim because of the economical crisis and the bad state of animation in Japan, so they probably want to speed everything up and finish in 13 episodes for 13 volumes of the manga. Alright, for any other title, I would have found that utterly silly, but it's even worse here, we're talking about an Adachi adaptation ! Fuck, just to get to the point of Wakaba's death, they should have done at least 3 episodes (I would have done 4 personally), but with the infernal rythm they put in this "introduction" episode, the horrible direction and structure of the scenario they displayed here, we miss two thirds of the developments, all the introduction of the characters, all the emotional impact of Wakaba's death and most of the themes that Adachi put in the beginning of his manga as well as the overall concept and introduction of the title.

In the first volume of the manga, Adachi introduces very carefully the 4 sisters, Koh, their parents and also to some extent Koh's baseball teammates (and future teammates), the city, the places where they live and much more, since Adachi does SLICE OF LIFE/romance/baseball mangas (I'm speaking about Touch/H2/Cross Game). Here, we just miss the slice of life part, the cement of the Adachi style, the very characteristic that makes his works so different from every other sports mangas, nothing less ! This simple fact KILLS this series, cleanly and quickly. We're not watching an action series here, we're watching a freaking Adachi adaptation !

On top of that, we understand nothing since it's just too fast to be interesting, the design is just terrible and looks nothing like that of the original work, the animation is extremely limited and suffers from the comparison to Ookiku Furikabutte for example (THE masterpiece of sports animes in the last 20 years). No, nothing is right in this first episode, it was an instant drop for me, and I kindly suggest every reader in this thread to do the same and read the manga instead, this series just doesn't do it justice in the least. It’s a slaughter of the original work and an insult to Adachi, and I officially declare that there’s no Cross Game adaptation released as of now. Oh, but watch Touch and H2 (even if the manga is better too, it's not as bas as the Cross Game anime) these are great animes.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 7, 2009 2:35 PM

Sep 2008
This is like a bad copy of Major :( Hope that this anime proves that I'm wrong.
Apr 7, 2009 3:20 PM

Apr 2009
wow that was so sad...
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Apr 7, 2009 3:27 PM

Dec 2007
Lolz at all the manga readers getting their panties in a bunch.

The first episode was exquisite. That ending theme really accentuated how Kou was feeling.
Apr 7, 2009 4:11 PM

Feb 2008
Yata-sama said:
Wow after One Outs, Oofuri and Major finally baseball series with batter as main character.
yFANTgirl said:

For me this was expected and oblivious from the start.

Uhh, the main character is going to be a pitcher, he just happens to be a good batter as well.
Apr 7, 2009 4:58 PM

Sep 2007
Never read the manga... but this episode was amazing and sad.

Gonna read the manga after the anime finished airing.
Apr 7, 2009 5:37 PM

Aug 2007
i hate it. not the episode or the series but the japanese masochistic nature that prevails whenever two characters ever get close in an anime. That's your clue that shit is about to hit the fan. They were too cute together, they actually *openly* liked each other, there weren't any games, they look too made for each other, you actually wanted to see them get together. Uh oh, wait this is not american tv, it's japanese so somebody is about to die.

just once id like to see a nice couple without all the cowards, hitting, and tragedy. seriously, japanese are masochists. it's like they don't believe it's possible for romance or love to exist in the world.

this episode was really touching and i liked the characters. they weren't annoying and that's always a good thing. it looked like it would be one of the more enjoyable series of the new season... of course, i know this series wasn't about this first episode but damn, i can't help but be rattled by it. though, i'd rather have it brief and sad than an anime devoid of any romance at all. the next episodes better be better and not as sad.

Apr 7, 2009 5:59 PM

Apr 2009
That was... sad :/ I wasn't expecting it to end that way, but because of the way it ended.. I'm actually kind of curious about the rest of the series.

It seems like there's going to be a time leap regarding the next episode? To those manga readers, do you know how many years?
Apr 7, 2009 6:09 PM

Jan 2008
What a surprise (for me who hasn't read the manga). I had no idea what to expect. When it started, I thought, "Wow - Old school charecter design - What is this, Touch! revisited?".

Now I see that it actually WILL be on that level in story content.

Moves to "Watching"
Apr 7, 2009 7:06 PM

May 2008
Jacut said:
Alright, I was expecting this series to be at least very good since the manga is created by one of my fav mangakas, Adachi-sama, the master of narration and character development, but it seems I overestimated Synergy SP. I don't understand how a studio can screw up a work like this, especially an Adachi one, since the storyboard is basically already done in the manga, you just have to animate it and put some colors, not hard to do eh?

This episode summed up very, very, very briefly a WHOLE volume of the manga (yes, 10 chapters, 200 pages, 1200 drawings!) like if Synergy SP wanted to rush it and just didn't care about the childhood of Wakaba and Koh. I understand that their budget must be very slim because of the economical crisis and the bad state of animation in Japan, so they probably want to speed everything up and finish in 13 episodes for 13 volumes of the manga. Alright, for any other title, I would have found that utterly silly, but it's even worse here, we're talking about an Adachi adaptation ! Fuck, just to get to the point of Wakaba's death, they should have done at least 3 episodes (I would have done 4 personally), but with the infernal rythm they put in this "introduction" episode, the horrible direction and structure of the scenario they displayed here, we miss two thirds of the developments, all the introduction of the characters, all the emotional impact of Wakaba's death and most of the themes that Adachi put in the beginning of his manga as well as the overall concept and introduction of the title.

In the first volume of the manga, Adachi introduces very carefully the 4 sisters, Koh, their parents and also to some extent Koh's baseball teammates (and future teammates), the city, the places where they live and much more, since Adachi does SLICE OF LIFE/romance/baseball mangas (I'm speaking about Touch/H2/Cross Game). Here, we just miss the slice of life part, the cement of the Adachi style, the very characteristic that makes his works so different from every other sports mangas, nothing less ! This simple fact KILLS this series, cleanly and quickly. We're not watching an action series here, we're watching a freaking Adachi adaptation !

On top of that, we understand nothing since it's just too fast to be interesting, the design is just terrible and looks nothing like that of the original work, the animation is extremely limited and suffers from the comparison to Ookiku Furikabutte for example (THE masterpiece of sports animes in the last 20 years). No, nothing is right in this first episode, it was an instant drop for me, and I kindly suggest every reader in this thread to do the same and read the manga instead, this series just doesn't do it justice in the least. It’s a slaughter of the original work and an insult to Adachi, and I officially declare that there’s no Cross Game adaptation released as of now. Oh, but watch Touch and H2 (even if the manga is better too, it's not as bas as the Cross Game anime) these are great animes.

Apr 7, 2009 11:16 PM

Mar 2008
I can't help it, I cried. It was so light-hearted then "boom" sadness.
Apr 7, 2009 11:20 PM

Oct 2007
datsunvic said:
What a surprise (for me who hasn't read the manga). I had no idea what to expect. When it started, I thought, "Wow - Old school charecter design - What is this, Touch! revisited?".

Now I see that it actually WILL be on that level in story content.

Moves to "Watching"

same here
Apr 7, 2009 11:31 PM

Jul 2008
I'll continue watching this, but I'mma go read the manga now if it's that much better. That hit me like a hurricane despite reading various comment on how wrong shit went without specifying anything. Damn :(

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 8, 2009 2:20 AM

Mar 2008
I have no idea what to think about this show.
Apr 8, 2009 2:27 AM

Sep 2007
tigerz said:
i hate it. not the episode or the series but the japanese masochistic nature that prevails whenever two characters ever get close in an anime. That's your clue that shit is about to hit the fan. They were too cute together, they actually *openly* liked each other, there weren't any games, they look too made for each other, you actually wanted to see them get together. Uh oh, wait this is not american tv, it's japanese so somebody is about to die.

It's not specific to Japanese media actually... If you watch any not-comedy TV show, you will find a countless number where two main characters like eachother, yet aren't together, and when they finally get together, one of them dies/goes in coma or what ever. And imho they only did the dying part in the first ep, to have impact on those, who haven't read a manga... which did work, cos I didn't planned to watch this anime at first...
Apr 8, 2009 2:56 AM

Sep 2008
after reading the manga, the anime just doesn't have the same impact anymore.....still sad ending though
Apr 8, 2009 4:41 AM

Jun 2008
while watching the this episode I keep getting this feeling that in the end aoba and ko will be the one that will end up together,.,.but I really did not expect that to happen to wakaba,,,.that's really really sad,.,.

I even said that since ko like wakaba maybe I am just mistaken,,.gosh I cry when ko said that "I see so I just have to cry",.,.,

great anime.,.,.
Apr 8, 2009 5:49 AM

Apr 2007
Yes, they should have fleshed this out to 4 episodes, it would have dealt a much greater blow if they did. Bad decision there. Then again, it also depends on the length of the series.

But seriously, they ruined it. I was also spoiled about her death anyways thou so whatever haha.

I'll still stick around to watch it as I can see that the story will be great, I just hope they go about it the right way from the next episode on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2009 5:58 AM

May 2008
Jacut said:

Y'know, at first I thought you were being too harsh, but after reading the first two volumes of the manga I really have to agree. Marginalizing Wakaba's death and basically the entire first volume completely kills this series. Hell, it completely missed one of the most crucial parts of the volume in it's attempt to rush everything, that being the game where Koh's team and Aoba's team play each other. That part completely sets the series on it's path in becoming one based around baseball as opposed to a clip show slice of life where Wakaba's death just feels like a bad plot device. Way to fail Synergy SP...
Apr 8, 2009 7:56 AM
Jan 2008
Wow, after reading all the rage comments above about how much worse the anime was than the manga (having never read the manga before) I thought it was odd that Wakaba's death was almost like an afterthought in the episode. I still wanna sort of continue watching this show. But now, it makes me want to seek out the manga just to satisfy my curiosity.
Apr 8, 2009 8:26 AM

May 2008
My goodness, a death already? At first I was like, and this is a kids show?
And then I saw the previews for the next episode.

They grow up quick in this thing.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 8, 2009 9:46 AM

Oct 2008
I don't know, I didn't really mind that Wakaba's death was only one episode. It would have been kind of weird to separate this into more than one. Plus, this first episode really grabs you as a viewer. If I hadn't seen the entire story of Wakaba's death, I might have not been as interested to come back next week.

The only thing I thought they were seriously lacking in this episode was Aoba. She is a much more prominent figure in Season's of Wakaba than the Anime let on, and she's so important coming up in Season's of Aoba, obviously. However, if you look at the next episode preview, you can see the part where Aoba and Koh play against each other as kids. My guess is they will do a series of flashbacks in the upcoming episodes, which might work out well.

But I really wished they'd animated the part where Wakaba told Aoba that even if Koh became the best pitcher in Japan, she couldn't have him. That's such a defining moment. Hopefully it will be in a flashback. :)

P.S. I'm slightly obsessed with the ending song. It's just so beautiful, if anyone knows where to find it??
Apr 8, 2009 12:49 PM

Nov 2008
innerchihiro said:
My guess is they will do a series of flashbacks in the upcoming episodes, which might work out well.

I think so too. The average viewer would probably think cross game is a kid's comedy and be likely to just watch one ep and drop it. By having Wakaba die early on, the story establishes much more quickly. Also the unused scenes could pop up as flashbacks that are fresh and add to the story (as opposed to recycling the same scenes in flashbacks).

The only people who would be unsatisfied are those who read the manga beforehand. For first-time viewers I honestly think this is a really good first episode
Apr 8, 2009 1:07 PM
Jul 2008
predictable,predictable,predictable,predictable,predictable

i saw the *cof cof* from a mile a way...

and that fatso too
Apr 8, 2009 1:18 PM
Apr 2008
I haven't read the mangas and I have to say I was very surprised. I didn't read anything about it, I just gave it a chance since its about baseball. And I have to say, its actualy good, I really didn't see that comming.
Apr 9, 2009 6:34 AM

Nov 2007
Sockwise said:
innerchihiro said:
My guess is they will do a series of flashbacks in the upcoming episodes, which might work out well.

I think so too. The average viewer would probably think cross game is a kid's comedy and be likely to just watch one ep and drop it. By having Wakaba die early on, the story establishes much more quickly. Also the unused scenes could pop up as flashbacks that are fresh and add to the story (as opposed to recycling the same scenes in flashbacks).

The only people who would be unsatisfied are those who read the manga beforehand. For first-time viewers I honestly think this is a really good first episode

Yes, agreed! I probably would have been really bored if they spent 4 episodes establishing the back story. Hopefully, since it seems important, they'll get to it later but the main thing they were trying to do with this episode is to rope in new viewers like all first episodes.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Apr 9, 2009 2:18 PM

Feb 2008
1 Question.. Why is it sorted in the comedy tag?? I think (for the first ep) it should more be drama. Unexpected is that i lost a couple of tears. Love this anime
Apr 9, 2009 10:58 PM

Dec 2008
this is one of my favorite anime among all the newly released series.
Im looking forward to the next ep =D
yohohohoho, i've just wasted your time dude.
Apr 9, 2009 11:08 PM

May 2008
Wow, that sucked. So sad, I cried :(
Apr 10, 2009 5:55 AM

Mar 2008
I'm speecless. I can let the tear on my cheek do the talking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2009 9:49 PM
Mar 2008
...SO SAD T_T
Totally a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE WAY TO START AN ANIME T_T

...I'm gonna love this anime, aren't I?
Apr 10, 2009 10:20 PM

Sep 2007
Damn, for real? Totally caught off guard.

Best Spring anime by far out of the ones I've seen. Loving the simplistic art style, and the fact that the writers don't seem to beat you over the head with unnecessary exposition.

Oh man. I just hope that wasn't a fluke.

Edit:
Hmm... reading the comments on the truncation of the manga - I can see where you're coming from, but this episode was seriously done well. If the writers had the ability to do something like this, I wonder why they didn't just make something original, instead of screwing up the manga's style.
naikouApr 10, 2009 10:25 PM
Apr 11, 2009 3:13 AM

Jul 2007
Great start but the art is kinda weird.
Apr 11, 2009 1:25 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, this was a pretty bad episode. The pace was slow, but rushed. Spending the whole time introducing the relationship between these two characters only to kill the girl in the end made me think that it was just a total waste. Why have her in the show at all? Furthermore, they didn't do that good of a job making me feel like Koh liked her. It felt more like they were friends only because their families were close and he found her to be a nuisance.

The art didn't really help matters either since everyone had the same dumb/stoic look on their faces. Koh gets kissed-->dumb face. Koh finds out Wakaba's dead-->dumb face. Koh goes to the funeral-->dumb face. Koh cries-->dumb face with a tear.

Meh, I'll give it a few more episodes until I try my hardest to excercise my new "Drop it" policy.
Apr 11, 2009 5:50 PM

Oct 2008
rron1993 said:
Great start but the art is kinda weird.

Yeah, you're kind of right. It looks really good as a Manga, but as a Anime, the art style is kind of lacking.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Help: Cross Game filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Dec 28, 2023

6 by zckfox »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:51 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlowITA - Apr 12, 2009

66 by -mmdll- »»
Oct 9, 2023 7:43 AM

» Cross Game Soundtrack

falph - Apr 5, 2010

8 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:04 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 27, 2010

279 by animejas »»
Apr 27, 2023 1:45 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

65 by EsieEyen »»
Nov 6, 2022 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.