Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 9, 2015 1:21 AM

Dec 2013
"I see. It was simple. I should just cry."
SAME. KOU.

I knew this show would make me cry at some point, because a lot of anime does (especially sports ones for some reason), but I didn't expect it to make me cry during the first episode. Wow. That was really emotional.
Jun 9, 2015 7:33 AM

Aug 2013
brandough said:
"I see. It was simple. I should just cry."
SAME. KOU.

I knew this show would make me cry at some point, because a lot of anime does (especially sports ones for some reason), but I didn't expect it to make me cry during the first episode. Wow. That was really emotional.

ditto, holy shit was that one hell of a first episode.
Jul 24, 2015 2:45 PM

Jan 2015
Coming from Touch, this feels right at home. Very impactful first episode. Some shots appeared to be in a somewhat higher framerate, which is interesting.
Jul 28, 2015 9:19 PM

Jul 2013
I was expecting to her move out or something but jesus christ....SHEESHH FUCKING DEAD.
Aug 2, 2015 5:43 PM

Jun 2009
holy shit what a fucking terrible first episode. absolutely horrific pacing.

Jacut said:
Alright, I was expecting this series to be at least very good since the manga is created by one of my fav mangakas, Adachi-sama, the master of narration and character development, but it seems I overestimated Synergy SP. I don't understand how a studio can screw up a work like this, especially an Adachi one, since the storyboard is basically already done in the manga, you just have to animate it and put some colors, not hard to do eh?

This episode summed up very, very, very briefly a WHOLE volume of the manga (yes, 10 chapters, 200 pages, 1200 drawings!) like if Synergy SP wanted to rush it and just didn't care about the childhood of Wakaba and Koh. I understand that their budget must be very slim because of the economical crisis and the bad state of animation in Japan, so they probably want to speed everything up and finish in 13 episodes for 13 volumes of the manga. Alright, for any other title, I would have found that utterly silly, but it's even worse here, we're talking about an Adachi adaptation ! Fuck, just to get to the point of Wakaba's death, they should have done at least 3 episodes (I would have done 4 personally), but with the infernal rythm they put in this "introduction" episode, the horrible direction and structure of the scenario they displayed here, we miss two thirds of the developments, all the introduction of the characters, all the emotional impact of Wakaba's death and most of the themes that Adachi put in the beginning of his manga as well as the overall concept and introduction of the title.

In the first volume of the manga, Adachi introduces very carefully the 4 sisters, Koh, their parents and also to some extent Koh's baseball teammates (and future teammates), the city, the places where they live and much more, since Adachi does SLICE OF LIFE/romance/baseball mangas (I'm speaking about Touch/H2/Cross Game). Here, we just miss the slice of life part, the cement of the Adachi style, the very characteristic that makes his works so different from every other sports mangas, nothing less ! This simple fact KILLS this series, cleanly and quickly. We're not watching an action series here, we're watching a freaking Adachi adaptation !

On top of that, we understand nothing since it's just too fast to be interesting, the design is just terrible and looks nothing like that of the original work, the animation is extremely limited and suffers from the comparison to Ookiku Furikabutte for example (THE masterpiece of sports animes in the last 20 years). No, nothing is right in this first episode, it was an instant drop for me, and I kindly suggest every reader in this thread to do the same and read the manga instead, this series just doesn't do it justice in the least. It’s a slaughter of the original work and an insult to Adachi, and I officially declare that there’s no Cross Game adaptation released as of now. Oh, but watch Touch and H2 (even if the manga is better too, it's not as bas as the Cross Game anime) these are great animes.

i haven't read the manga but i could tell this episode was insanely rushed. thanks for summing up most of my thoughts. 10 chapters in one episode!?! what a fucking joke! the best thing i could take away from this episode is that this show has amazing art. i hope it keeps up.
loghneckbeardAug 2, 2015 5:57 PM
Aug 7, 2015 12:20 PM

Feb 2013
Well fuck, it wasnt a good idea to start this show while being on my period. I feel empty inside

Sep 9, 2015 1:55 PM

Mar 2014
Woah... That was a really unexpected ending

I can already feel I am going to like this
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 6, 2015 2:44 AM
Oct 2015
Only an episode in and Cross Game already got me fucked up :'(
Nov 27, 2015 12:43 PM

Jan 2012

I got goose bumps ;w;
RiuzedNov 27, 2015 12:49 PM
Dec 20, 2015 11:59 PM

Sep 2013
I've never seen protagonists this short...

1. Holy shit they have the same birthday as me, that is a scary coincidence.

2. He doesn't seem like that much of a friend the way he interacts with her.

lol KIA
Jan 25, 2016 6:05 AM

Apr 2013
Great first episode, the ending song by Ayaka was phenomenal and fitting, always loved her songs so this was a plus! Didn't know she did an ED for an anime. The ending reveal was sad and rip~ quite poignant and touching.
Jan 25, 2016 5:39 PM

Nov 2011
I get the feeling Kou will regret not being more friendly to Wakaba in the future. Sure, he thought she was the cutest girl in his grade, but he never really showed much affection, and even borderline treated her as a nuisance sometimes.

I was thinking through the whole episode how cute they were; of course it was too good to be.

Like gedata, this sort of start doesn't usually work well for me, but that was really good for a tragic start.
Feb 6, 2016 7:32 AM

Nov 2012
Wakaba's death sure was unexpected.

Surprised how sad her death was considering it's only the first episode.

Reading Jacut's post above about this episode covering the entire first volume makes me glad I decided against reading the manga first.
Apr 8, 2016 1:25 PM

May 2009
damn feels...
and it's 1st ep!
Apr 10, 2016 10:16 AM
Jan 2015
never read any mitsuru aidachi manga in my life, I know its popular but thanks to ace of diamond for bringing me here.

The ending.... was unexpected, almost made me cry.
What an anime!
Apr 18, 2016 10:16 PM
Mar 2016
I was In shock i felt like a lvl 1 Hoopa Confined that got sucker punched.... I was laughing and tearing up cuz of my expectations from the anime
May 10, 2016 4:20 PM

Oct 2014
Ah, playing the ol' character death card to score them cheap drama points to make your anime more "serious". And in the 1st episode, no less.
Sorry, not appreciated: 1/5, dropped.
Oh, I'm sure the show is probably a good one (eventually) but you know what? I've got a couple of hundred other shows in my PTW that suddenly deserve my attention more now.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

May 22, 2016 8:54 PM
Jun 2013
This is one of the saddest first episodes I have ever seen.
Strong introduction. I'm looking forward to the rest.
Jun 13, 2016 5:54 AM
Mar 2013
Hmm, I didn't really feel much from this episode. A large part was not really knowing the characters - obviously they were pretty flat, since it's only been a single episode - and not knowing their ages. They were just kids, so the romantic direction felt weird. Maybe even a little forced.

I was pretty surprised when the girl died, though it made sense when I thought about it - it would have been a pretty dull romance, otherwise. Got to get that sweet, sweet drama after all. The music playing near the end was practically shouting "cry! see how incredibly touching and emotional this show is, go on, cry!" The drama felt extremely clinical, similar to Major S1. I don't really understand why people seem to be having such a strong reaction to things like this.

Hopefully this show will grow on me as I continue to watch.
addictoholicJun 13, 2016 5:59 AM
Feb 23, 2017 8:08 PM

Dec 2016
Well, she died....

But... why?? :'(
Jul 20, 2017 12:54 AM

Dec 2014
Oh God! I did not expect that ending, Koh and Wakaba were so cute together. It's only the first episode and I'm already tearing up. T.T
Jul 22, 2017 10:15 AM

Mar 2013
Unbelievable. The first episode of an anime made me tear up. While sitting on a train for that matter. It just came out of nowhere and I wasn't ready at all. I was thinking throughout the episode that "well maybe this is just a chill and heartwarming anime where the guy and his childhood sweetheart DO get together".

Fucking hell man. As far as first episodes go, this is top notch.
Jan 10, 2018 11:30 AM

Aug 2016
I wish i could say i was touched by the ending, but it felt rather dry.

It's not that the ending itself was bad, it just needed more buildup to be effective.
May 5, 2018 2:10 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
That ending... I have read the sypnosis ages ago so I had an idea that someone would die, but still, shit got real when the tears finally came.

Honestly even if he was only at 5th grade, he should have treasured her more.
May 12, 2018 11:55 PM

Jan 2017
I've never cried watching the 1st episode of any anime. That is, until I watched 'Cross Game'.
Plus, the ending is really beautiful <3
Aug 9, 2018 5:26 AM

Feb 2013
Damn, my kokoro broke from the first episode.
RIP Wakaba-chan, will Kou ever fall in love again?
Nov 6, 2018 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
Loved the "not feeling real" sensation that her death had, damn that was a hard hit for everyone.
Dec 18, 2018 6:02 AM
Aug 2018
Similar to "Touch", the way Wakaba got killed off was just ridiculous.

She is in a swimming club, so she should know how to swim and to should be able to somewhat evaluate dangers. She is on a supervised camp with the swimming club, so you would furthermore expect there to be adults to keep a watch on the kids.

And yet she dies in a swimming accident. Wow, how lame. But I guess that is just Adachis style, huh.
Jun 1, 2019 5:30 PM

Oct 2015
I was expecting someone to die but not this early honestly. Now I'm curious if Adachi loves killing his characters on his teenage sports drama that much
Aug 14, 2019 6:11 PM
Feb 2019
watching this episode, i didnt know what i was getting myself into. i had a feeling towards the middle something bad was going to happen, but brushed it off because i figured its just a romance sports anime. god, i cried a lot and its only the first episode!
Jan 20, 2020 3:37 AM

Jun 2019
That ending came out of nowhere
May 19, 2020 10:04 AM

Dec 2007
Though I hadn't get enough attached to Wakabe what made me cried was Kou reaction, always made me cry.
The decision to put it in the 1st ep is actually a good one, make it rare and special first episode.
Aug 12, 2020 3:13 AM

Jul 2015
Didn't expect anything to happen in the first episode besides introducing the characters but wow that was an incredibely sad end for a first episode, the background music made my hearstrings tug a little harder there.. man Ko and Wakaba would have made a great couple...

Aug 20, 2020 12:37 PM

Nov 2018
Ay yo wtf...That ending was so damn unexpected
Nov 2, 2020 6:28 AM

Mar 2017
Couldn't really feel Wakabe's death, even if I didn't read the manga this episode felt so rushed.
I'll probably read the manga once I'll finish the series.
Dec 16, 2020 4:00 AM
Jun 2020
I didn't expect me to cry even though I know what's gonna happen.. That was really sad, the kiss were so cute too
Mar 26, 2021 10:14 AM

Jul 2020
Alright now that’s kinda fucked up for a first episode man, I wasn’t expecting that at all
Apr 8, 2021 9:31 PM
Jul 2020
Never expected anything from this anime, especially it's sports romance.

It hits like truck to me.
Come out of nowhere.
The music makes it more harder to hold tears in.
Dammit
It's too sad

I might be not feel it this way if someone spoils it so I'm thankful for that.
It's been so long that I watch good anime with tearjerker episode, moreover the first.

Thank you adachi sensei
Jun 22, 2021 2:15 AM
Jan 2021
Well episode 1 really was the base of everything. This episode was very important because it showed the characters backgrounds and some like in a plot diagram the exposition. In this episode we got see why aoba and kou act the way they do or what caused it.
Nov 30, 2021 11:08 AM

Jan 2018
Coming here from Mix which I finished just a few days ago. I wanted to take a break from Adachi Mitsuru anime but fuck it. Life is too short. I probably shouldn't watch the works of the same author back to back though especially when most of them have very similar elements.

First heard of Cross Game when I was watching Touch. Touch forums spoiled that there was gonna be a death in the very first episode but I don't recall who (and at that time it didn't matter to me anyway). Despite expecting it in the first episode the death scene got me pretty good. I did realize who it was while it was leading up to it though.

Getting used to the names of the characters probably won't be an effort since this series is 50 episodes long with an already engaging plot. It is a bit weird to see a school baseball that isn't Meisei though. I'm sure they're make their own identity very soon though. Watching Mix right after Touch might've been a mistake since I think Mix was supposed to be a "mix" of multiple Adachi works such as Touch and Cross Game.
Apr 16, 2022 1:34 AM

Aug 2017
What the heck, that sure was sad for a first episode.

I think I like it though.
May 24, 2022 2:37 PM

Dec 2018
holy shit
well i am a baseball fan
i was always the home run hitter...but i had an injury and got disabled. i can't play anymore.
i can still hit 400 ft+ on a self pitch, but my time is done.
what a sad ending. i was not expecting that. never really thought too much about sports anime. but i like this one so far.
also i can't and never could pitch. the reason is because i throw sidearm and coaches were worried i'd get tennis elbow. so i got put in outfield because i was faster than other guys and a good catch. it was hard learning to throw over the shoulder. i didn't have near the speed i did i guess but my coaches were wrong when a sidearm pitcher like randy johnson from the arizona diamondbacks came along. i guess i shoulda taken the scholarship and not joined the army. too late now.
StateofOhayoMay 24, 2022 2:43 PM
Jun 29, 2022 7:28 PM

Feb 2022
oh my god
im about to cry.. that was true love right there, and now... its all gone.
whyd she have to die! things were so perfect :((
10/10 episode.
Sep 26, 2022 3:40 PM
Apr 2019
it took a dark turn lol i am hooked
Jul 3, 2023 3:30 PM

May 2020
I knew something was off the moment Wakaba posted the list of gifts for the upcoming birthdays.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Help: Cross Game filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Dec 28, 2023

6 by zckfox »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:51 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlowITA - Apr 12, 2009

66 by -mmdll- »»
Oct 9, 2023 7:43 AM

» Cross Game Soundtrack

falph - Apr 5, 2010

8 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:04 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 27, 2010

279 by animejas »»
Apr 27, 2023 1:45 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

65 by EsieEyen »»
Nov 6, 2022 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.