Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 4, 2009 6:53 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Why'd they censor Goku's penis? Anyway, great ep. I loved the ED (not as much as the new OP OP tho). Can't wait for the next ep to see Raditz.

Could they not have found a more suitable VA for Bardock? I mean they don't have to keep the same ones. He sounds like a 6 year old boy.
DanishApr 4, 2009 6:56 PM
Apr 4, 2009 6:57 PM

Sep 2007
in after Masako Nozawa voice bitching...
Apr 4, 2009 8:28 PM

Jun 2008
Corrupted_Id said:
Why'd they censor Goku's penis?

I don't know, I love seeing the genitalia of shounen characters that I grew up with, this just ruins the show for me.

Also: where did you find this?
I'm back.
Apr 4, 2009 10:59 PM

Jul 2008
That was beyond conventional definition of awesome. I'm really liking both of the new themes. Found it raw on TT.

HAY GUISE I WONDER WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 4, 2009 11:26 PM

Nov 2007
The Vegeta vs Goku parts in the opening animation were beyond awesome. I actually thought the new themes sucked massively though. Especially the ED. On the positive side, the actual musical score in the episode sounded pretty good.

Well, I definitely expected something more from the video quality...maybe it wasn't a good raw.

Bakayaro said:
HAY GUISE I WONDER WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT.

I don't know, but the preview said something about the enemy being Goku's brother? WTF?! Crazy...

It sure was weird having Freiza appear in the show before practically anyone else. And the flash forward to him facing off with Goku was ever weirder. Oh well. This should be cool for what it is.
Apr 4, 2009 11:42 PM

Jul 2006
FireReaverX said:

It sure was weird having Freiza appear in the show before practically anyone else. And the flash forward to him facing off with Goku was ever weirder. Oh well. This should be cool for what it is.

This part caught me by surprise. I really liked it though!
The new themes are fricken awesome. If only the whole thing was reanimated to look just like the OP... that would have been insane....

The scene where Piccolo sensed Raditz reminded me of this

Apr 5, 2009 12:28 PM

Oct 2008
English sub anyone?
Apr 5, 2009 12:39 PM

Oct 2007
Viperslayer said:
English sub anyone?

DBZ Renaissance has the translation, just doing the other shit according to their site. Shouldn't be much longer I guess.

Apr 5, 2009 1:15 PM

Oct 2008
Monkey_D_Luffy said:
Viperslayer said:
English sub anyone?

DBZ Renaissance has the translation, just doing the other shit according to their site. Shouldn't be much longer I guess.

Alrighty then
Apr 5, 2009 1:46 PM

May 2008
How funny that this aired the same day the new FMA series aired. XD

Apr 5, 2009 1:58 PM
May 2008
whats the DBZ Renaissance site? I cant seem to find one without a Error 404
Apr 5, 2009 2:11 PM

Oct 2008
ChibiMilly said:
How funny that this aired the same day the new FMA series aired. XD

It was probably intended.
Apr 5, 2009 2:12 PM

May 2008
XmattmutilatedX said:

http://dbzr.co.cc/
Apr 5, 2009 2:13 PM

Oct 2007
XmattmutilatedX said:

http://dbzr.1free.ws/

I don't get an error.

Edit: wow...beat by a minute >.<

Apr 5, 2009 2:41 PM

Jul 2008
I have to get used to these Japanese voices...

Besides that, I enjoyed the episode. It's like the good ol' Dragon Ball Z that I remembered. :)
Apr 5, 2009 3:20 PM
May 2008
has everyone been watching the japanese without subs then?
Apr 5, 2009 3:29 PM

Oct 2008
XmattmutilatedX said:

Some people actually know Japanese.
Apr 5, 2009 4:50 PM

Jan 2008
Viperslayer said:
XmattmutilatedX said:

I don't know it, but I've already watched this in Japanese once before so I know pretty much what everyone's going to say.

Anyone else notice all the cuts they took out to make this a regular episode instead of just adding filler all the time? Like Bulma about to respond to Goku's power sense of Raditz.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Apr 5, 2009 5:17 PM

Aug 2008
i guess i got my hopes up for nothing although a very good episode judging from the poster and op i thought wow they actually updated the artwork but no it was just same old dbz just cleaned up and in higher resoultion.

would have been EPIC is it was redrawn like the art is in the OP
(check out vegita vs goku in op that look awesome)
Apr 5, 2009 5:51 PM

Oct 2006
Seriously they could have redrawn the art... Would have been nice if it looked like Blue Dragon at least :/

Apr 5, 2009 6:16 PM

Jan 2009
I thought this ep was ok. I think they could have done better with the remaster though....... They basically just lightened it up. And I have to used to the Japanse voices, espically Goku's voice because I originally watched it in English (1st anime I watched)

And the subs are out by Suppiido-Fansubs, but they don't have a website or an IRC channel that I could find, so it might be hard to find them until a site posts the stream (I watched it RAW)

Meh_93Apr 5, 2009 6:20 PM
Apr 5, 2009 6:17 PM

May 2007
Nero_200 said:
iwould have been EPIC is it was redrawn like the art is in the OP
(check out vegita vs goku in op that look awesome)

My thoughts exactly. I guess they might be saving their budget for the fights.....I hope.

I don't know if my memory is failing me, but I DO NOT remember the Japanese VAs being so......corny. Goku sounded like a little girl.
Apr 5, 2009 6:20 PM

Jan 2009
I don't know if my memory is failing me, but I DO NOT remember the Japanese VAs being so......corny. Goku sounded like a little girl.

I totally agree, This might be one of the only cases I actually like the English VA better.

EDIT: wow epic fail using the quote button but the person above me said the 1st paragraph
Meh_93Apr 5, 2009 6:53 PM
Apr 5, 2009 6:46 PM

Apr 2007
One setence.

Great fucking disappointment.

Now, I love Dragon Ball. So much nostalgia and all, but this was not what I expected. As much as I love the old series, throwing a beautifully animated OP and ED in, then expect us to be happy with the footage from over 15 year ago is retarded. I had hoped for something more like a new show, but this is more or less just a edit of the old series with a fancy new OP and ED.

Good job, Toei. Keep milking the cow.
Apr 5, 2009 8:12 PM

Oct 2008
:|

Opening and ending looks great....

This is gay...
Apr 5, 2009 9:17 PM

Feb 2008
Was the part at the very start from with Freeza from the Bardock special?

I was disapointed when I saw that it was just a cut up of the original footage. It is more similar to the first DBZ US dub that was relised with the footage that they kept.
Apr 5, 2009 9:37 PM

Jan 2009
ah... i couldnt wait. even though i've watched DBZ multiple times, i had to get the raw of this. It wouldnt be the first time I've watched DBZ raw (shoot... sometimes, back in the day, thats all you could get DBZ, or any anime for that matter strait from japan! Fansubs were a luxury! All you little rapscallions today are so spoiled! Ahem. Ok, i'll stop being a crotchety old man now)

but yeah... seeing the op and ed in pretty animation... makes me sad that they didnt re-do the whole show like that. Oh well i guess. Maybe in another decade they might. Now... wheres the rest of our Rurouni Kenshin, dammit!

Apr 5, 2009 9:42 PM

Jan 2009
xTHoWx said:

I totally agree, This might be one of the only cases I actually like the English VA better.

EDIT: wow epic fail using the quote button but the person above me said the 1st paragraph

Sigh... Maybe to you guys... but for me, that is Goku's one and only voice. There can be no other. When you watch a character for over 15 years with the same voice, its hard to change.

I was disapointed when I saw that it was just a cut up of the original footage. It is more similar to the first DBZ US dub that was relised with the footage that they kept.

all they did was take the re-mastered versions that Funimation put out here, cut them down to size (thank god! no more "The planet is going to blow up in 5 minutes" then 4 episodes later: "We only have 3 more minutes till the planet blows up!")
this was really all I was expecting. Again, it would be nice if they re-animated EVERYTHING, but we cant always have our cake, eat it, win lottery, get laid too.

Apr 5, 2009 9:58 PM

Sep 2007
Nostalgia.. Fuck it.

Both me and my brother were expecting the kind of animation the OP/ED had. But, all we saw was just, lol, animation from when it first aired.

I'll keep watching this, anyways. Keeping my hopes I'll get a few surprises once the fights begin.
Apr 5, 2009 10:44 PM

Sep 2008
So theres some censoring (on goku), although not like we "need" it..
Wish they could have redrawn the art..
Goku's and gohan's voices will take a long time to get use to... what are they 8 year olds who are going through a voice spirt...
We also get some turtle love xD... heres a pic..

well it does feel nice to feel young agaoin (bc of watching this only when i was a child)
Apr 5, 2009 11:18 PM

Nov 2008
...Wow... Not much effort, huh?

Now THAT'S how you squeeze a series of every single penny without spending any money!

I was happier not knowing that was out...
Apr 6, 2009 12:00 AM

Aug 2008
I wish they could have re-animated the whole series...but other than that it was good.
Apr 6, 2009 12:11 AM

Jan 2009
I expected more from the graphic quality, did not like the op, the end was a little better, though, prefer the old. But to kill the miss worth it xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2009 12:58 AM

Jul 2008
this really brings back memories, know what i mean?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 6, 2009 1:12 AM

May 2008
Viperslayer said:
XmattmutilatedX said:

i usually know a couple of words and sort of understood some of it not all i usually watch the Raw then the Sub Version of the
episode.

I started watching this series in Spanish. It has been a while....
Apr 6, 2009 1:35 AM

Apr 2007
RyoHazuki224 said:
xTHoWx said:

Sigh... Maybe to you guys... but for me, that is Goku's one and only voice. There can be no other. When you watch a character for over 15 years with the same voice, its hard to change.

all they did was take the re-mastered versions that Funimation put out here, cut them down to size (thank god! no more "The planet is going to blow up in 5 minutes" then 4 episodes later: "We only have 3 more minutes till the planet blows up!")
this was really all I was expecting. Again, it would be nice if they re-animated EVERYTHING, but we cant always have our cake, eat it, win lottery, get laid too.

Goku's Japanese VA is a love-hate thing. I personally don't mind it for Goku and his sons, but for a tragic character like Bardock I don't feel it fit.
Apr 6, 2009 2:28 AM
Jul 2008
epic fail..i have a better quality DVD release of DBZ on my hard drive..dont need this crap.
Apr 6, 2009 2:46 AM
Dec 2008
I doubt it will go past Freiza, you can't do All of DBZ in 100 episodes. Plus they didn't show anybody after Freiza in the new OP.

However if it does catch on like the old series did, im sure they will extend it past the Freiza arc, and past the original intended 100 episodes.

We will have to see how the pacing goes with the first 5-10 episodes.
Apr 6, 2009 3:25 AM

Aug 2008
AndreAtomic said:
epic fail..i have a better quality DVD release of DBZ on my hard drive..dont need this crap.

+1
if you were going to redo this, redo the animation. Christ! I'll still be watching anyway though. Don't need the subs. I've seen this enough times already to know what everyone says backwards. Besides, who watches this show for dialogue?
Apr 6, 2009 4:31 AM

Feb 2008
Love how they made a totally new OP (which is pretty cool btw), but just recycled the old animation (and it doesn't even look that good, imo).
Apr 6, 2009 5:37 AM

Feb 2008
I hope that the fight scenes will be re-animated.
Apr 6, 2009 5:44 AM

Sep 2008
Anyone who is dissapointed at the animation is silly, they said it would just be a cut down version in HD at the time they announced the re-airing.

And they could fit it all in 100 episodes, easily. Keep in mind that without filler, Frieza saga could be fit into under 30 episodes.
chill out
Apr 6, 2009 6:36 AM

Jun 2007
Man it kept everything, even square Bulma from episode 1.....

Man like most people here, I'm disappointed. They teased us with redrawn HD stuff (just look at the opening part of Golden 9) And we get... this. Might not even bother with it.

I guess its technically in HD, but this is not what a good 90% of the people here were expecting.
Apr 6, 2009 6:45 AM

Jan 2008
Apr 6, 2009 6:48 AM

Oct 2008
Feball3001 said:
I hope that the fight scenes will be re-animated.

They will be most likely.
Apr 6, 2009 7:04 AM

Jul 2008
Really disappointing. I didn't expect much from this remake to begin with, but it's even worse then I had imagined. I really hated most of the voices, especially Goku, Gohan, Bulma and Bardock's. But then again, that's probably because I'm used to the dubbed voices I watched years and years ago.

This episode gets a 2/5 from me. Oh, and on a sidenote, this seems to be worst airing series this season to me. From what I've seen yet, at least.
Apr 6, 2009 7:22 AM

Dec 2008
10 years ago i watched this 3 times, but now it's completely boring. And it's first time i like dub for anime more than japanese 0:
Apr 6, 2009 7:32 AM

Jan 2009
wow, just from a few posts from some of you kids, i'm getting really dissapointed in you damn Cartoon-Network kids. sure, i realize that most of you were only first exposed to DBZ in english, but come on! I was first exposed to Akira in english almost 20 years ago, but I still prefer it in Japanese!

sigh. sorry if i sound like I'm whining, but still... it just dissapoints me.

Apr 6, 2009 7:44 AM

Jan 2009
the VAs sound like hell (in the beginning that one guy sounds like a two year old if they could speak fluently) and the art was exactly the same as 15 years ago.
so far, this show sux ( i was expecting much more from the OP -_-)
Apr 6, 2009 8:20 AM

Apr 2008
I was expecting it would look like "Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!" (2008) ...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 5 Discussion

Ishmael - May 3, 2009

44 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 4 Discussion

Ishmael - Apr 26, 2009

27 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Apr 19, 2009

54 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:20 AM

» Is it worth watching along with DBZ?

RobertBobert - Jul 28, 2023

32 by Alexioos95 »»
Jan 30, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 97 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kisami - Mar 27, 2011

81 by gutsy99 »»
Nov 27, 2023 11:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.