How would you rate this series?
Apr 3, 2009 12:14 PM

Sep 2007
Spotlight Anime: Mai-HiME

MAL Series Information Page: Mai-HiME

MAL Score - 7.91 (by 9993 users)
Ranked - #353
Popularity - #90

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE "YOU DECIDE" POLL:

Mai-HiME was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
17 Yes - 31.5%
37 No - 68.5%

65 Don't Know - 54.6% of the total number polled
santetjanApr 13, 2009 11:51 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 3, 2009 10:19 PM

Jul 2007
Pretty handsome show. 8/10
Apr 3, 2009 10:58 PM

Sep 2007
Agh. hate hate hate hate hate hate hate.

Terrible characters, ugly character designs, absurd but oddly cliche plot, and one of the worst endings in anime.

The only thing it has going for it is the music. This will be the strongest "no" I've given so far.
Apr 4, 2009 9:08 AM

Jul 2007
Picnic. It gets a no.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 4, 2009 9:09 PM

Nov 2007
1-19 with the exception of episode 8 were all terrible 20+ was pretty good except the very ending, all in all though definitely not enough to get a yes into this club.

No from me~
Apr 5, 2009 2:59 AM
May 2008
Mai-Hime was a very enjoying series provided by Sunrise and brings its fair share of lighthearted humor and enjoyable plot concepts.

Story - 8: For the most part, the story is simple to follow and will not get all that much confusing to the viewer. During the first half of the series, Mai-Hime mainly brings its introduction of its cast members as it provides the usual format of defeating the main enemy that is causing trouble scenario. However, once the second half begins the series suddenly heads for a dark turn and the viewer will be receiving so many intense moments as the plot progresses. From start to conclusion, viewers will receive a good assortment of enjoyable action scenes, lighthearted humor, and sometimes heartwretching moments. Despite the controversy on how the conclusion ended, Mai-Hime's story certainly brings out plenty of areas for the audience to enjoy.

Animation - 8: For an anime that is aired in 2004, the animation in Mai-Hime is probably the least strongest in its department which is a minor disappointment from Sunrise. The character designs are provided with good coloring, even though the designs tend to be inconsistent in certain scenes. The backgrounds are also acceptable enough with some pretty good visuals.

Characters - 8: For Mai-Hime to have a large cast of characters, I was actually pretty surprised that they perform fairly well for the most part of this series. With the certain amount of time they receive in scenes, they mostly manage to bring some interesting and enjoyable moments into the plot. Even though most of them are not fleshed-out that much, the characters are mainly acceptable towards what they brought to the audience.

Sound - 9: The sound portion was probably the best part of Mai-Hime especially when it comes to listening to the enjoyable opening and ending themes. The bgm's are provided with some interesting mystical themes that certainly carry out the scenes fairly well. The cast of seiyu's also mainly did a pretty good job fulfilling the roles of their characters.

Enjoyment - 8: Mai-Hime was mainly a very enjoyable ride that brings along a very interesting story concept and an fairly good cast of characters to the audience. Even though Mai-Hime does have its flaws, any viewer that is interested in certain genres will enjoy what this series provides.

Overall - 8: Although Mai-Hime does get an 8, my vote is an unfortunate no due to the fact the series provided a poorly-executed conclusion that I thought crash some of the buildup on what the plot provided. ^^
Dark-EvolutionApr 5, 2009 3:14 AM
Apr 6, 2009 9:51 AM

Sep 2007
This show could have easily scored a 9 from me, if not for the excessive fanservice and...

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with Anime-Destiny (as usual). However, I will vote yes. It's still a fairly memorable show.
Apr 7, 2009 1:23 AM

Jul 2008
Magic girl mecha? With the girls in question being scantily clad 14 year old schoolgirls?

Wasn't that a joke in "No More Heroes" or something?
Apr 7, 2009 10:21 AM

Mar 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
Wasn't that a joke in "No More Heroes" or something?

Yay, a fellow Wii user! Hi there!

Heh, I remeber the full page ad this had in Newtype: "A bunch of girls kicking ass. Simple as that."

It's always interesting when an anime gets advertised like that. And what was not to like? You had thirteen superpowered girls, each with distinct personalities fighting monsters, mixed with loads of drama, hinted with a bit of slife of life and sprinkled with some ecchi.
What could possibly go wrong?

A lot, as it seems. Let's just get the girls out of the way first: twelve of the thirteen are lame. Well, maybe lame is a strong word. It's just that they are all stereotypes. You have the serene dyke, the reverse trap, the cold lonely girl, the man- eating slut, the cat- like girl with the brains of a peanut that Sunrise forgot to make funny, etc.
it's the minor problem that these girls are stereotypes, the major one is that among the aformentioned characters, only three gets any sort of characterization. And even though it's much appreciated, it's just too little too late.

So, with twelve of the thirteen main girls sucking, what have you got left?
Well, you have Mai. And don't complain, Mai is a lot to have. Seriously, the mere fact that Mai is in this show saves it. Let me give it to you straight: with her pureness, her love, her anger, her sadness and her beauty, Mai is one of the most accomplished realistic portrayals of the female in the entire medium of anime (alongside Kirigoe Mima of Perfect Blue and Eva Heinemann of Monster). Mai is just a joy to watch, and her very presence livens up the show so much, that even at it's dullest, the mere notion that Mai will be on screen again keeps you going.

Another thing about Mai: I don't know who is in charge of facial expressions at Sunrise, but they set the bar so high it those terms, the only character that could meet that quality was Light Yagami, years later. But hey, don't believe me, believe this gif.

Even if the rest is horrible, Mai can not be beaten. Neither her face.

"Wait, Mai- HiME is bad?" Oh yes, very bad. Mostly because of the story, wich is just plain dull in the beggining. Hardly anything interesting ever happens in the first half, and it's a real chore to watch. But then, during the middle of the season, the story picks up, and WHOA!!! what a ride! Have the military attack to school of the girls, and Mai- HiME becomes enthralling. Have the girls fight eachother to the death in order to decide which becomes the bride of the mistical force defending japan, and Mai- HiME becomes one of the best watches of the decade!

There's just one problem you see. Mai- HiME was made by Sunrise. And just as Gonzo are known to produce utter shit from the get- go, Sunrise is known to be able to turn the best premises into steaming piles of bull feces. How do you squander half a season worth of drama and (in some cases) character development with the by now well establised characters, even after upping the stakes and killing almost all of them off? By resurrecting them, of course! Mai- HiME provides it's viewers with the most rage- inducingly dissapointing ending ever made in anime, and sadly, this leaves it's mark on the whole experience. Whatever joy came out of this show suddenly gets washed away in the most contrieved, annoying happy ending in anime history, and because of this, I don't think anybody should spend their time watching it.

All in all:
6/10(six billion for Mai, minus (six billion - 6) for the rest)
Does not deserve to be included, and otome is better anyway (even though it doesn't deserve 7 points, but MAL's rating system sucks ass, and some differentiation has to be made.)
Apr 7, 2009 6:30 PM

Nov 2007
from your spoiler tag that was the best part of mai hime by far dozer
Apr 8, 2009 7:05 PM

Sep 2007
Mai-HiME started off consisting of really silly and cheesy episodes with our cast of characters for most of the show, and I consider that a good thing. Besides some of the episodes being very entertaining (depending on your tolerance for silliness, such as episode 4 which busted a hole in Natsuki's stereotype, and there still are duds here and there), information is laid down for much later importance in the series, and we get to know our characters better as they go along. Then when the plot really gets going and things start happening to our characters, we see both how things were planned out as well as how much we've come to know the characters. Since, though we see them do silly things like karaoke or cooking events, we still learn more about the characters and how they interact with each other. So when things start going down and the characters get sucker punched out of nowhere, I pretty much felt the same myself.

There have been very few shows that made me feel for characters and made me want to know what happens next as much as Mai-HiME has in the turning point, and especially to Mai, who has already been talked about by Dozer. And I haven't seen a show that has cleverly made me interested in the characters without knowing it as this show. It's not the best show by far, with plotholes galore, some quirks that can rub the wrong way, and so on, but it's definitely getting a yes vote from my book.

That Yuki Kajiura produced one of her more unique and best soundtracks for Mai-HiME is an extra note in my book. :P

Drastic My Anime Blog - My anime blog. :3
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.