Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2009 11:32 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well by this point I've completely given up caring about the convoluted and painfully convenient plot, because its not like the writers do, but the show still pulls out memorable scenes when it needs to thanks to the consistently excellent direction and Kanno compositions. Nice kiss scene basically.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 28, 2009 4:42 PM

May 2009
Fate alteration is some serious business! Heh.
Oct 15, 2009 3:47 AM

May 2008
Fate Alteration machine...... wat.

This show is getting kind of stupid.
MagEarwhigOct 15, 2009 3:52 AM
Apr 4, 2010 12:55 AM

Apr 2008
Van's not the smoothest guy out there, but he try his best.'Fate Alteration machine' WTF? he wasn't kidding, one of the most ridiculous ideas I've heard.
May 3, 2010 12:35 AM
Feb 2009
w0ow wdf they like controlled Allan there
Apr 8, 2011 9:21 AM

Feb 2010
Well, I was intrigued to hear earlier from the emperor about his prediction machine, now it makes complete sense. This show is brilliant! It seems that not many people get those concepts on which it is based, a pity. Those who try to be ironic (without any base really) about it are the worst.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Apr 9, 2011 3:29 AM

Jan 2008
burbels said:
This show is brilliant! It seems that not many people get those concepts on which it is based, a pity. Those who try to be ironic (without any base really) about it are the worst.

Some people expect a narrative to usually make sense, entertain and not insult the intelligence of the viewer with deus ex machinas.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 9, 2011 4:55 AM

Feb 2010
Intelligence is an ability for understanding and also for making answers and questions. As long as the story follows some known or unknown but implied rules, it is true and coherent and can't insult an intelligence. What it can insult is the patterns of thought (don't like how characters thinkfeelact), stereotypes (it's just wrong!) of a person.
An insult to intelligence is a firm belief in that something cannot be just because. That something cannot be done is a matter of an aggreement. We do not know what kind of technology it was and on what principles it worked but there are enough hints on that Isaac was Newton's "dark side" - an alchemist and mage. Through which medium gravitational force is transfered? Does it apply to "material" objects or there are analogues in the realm of probability? Why so many theories, and where is the global paradigm? Many theories in science could be considered an insult to intelligence, as far as I know. And still we don't realy know what is elecricity for one.
I can see how ignorance can be insulted by this series. But then there are some transitions which shake the pillar of "space" and also "time" is being penetrated often, but I don't detect foul play storywise. Besides, "space" & "time" are not pilars anyway. They don't exist outside a scene.
burbelsApr 9, 2011 4:58 AM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Apr 17, 2011 8:08 PM

Feb 2011
That episode made me want to flip a table over.
Jun 27, 2012 1:16 AM

Apr 2012
I'm frankly pretty shocked at how good Escaflowne TV is turning out to be. This is well-paced and consistently entertaining science fantasy that doesn't hesitate to get goofy when it needs to or serious when it should. I can't recall a single filler scene standing out to me so far... everything seems to serve a higher purpose of storytelling. That's not to say it's a masterpiece or astoundlingly original (the world, character, and mecha design is all pretty stock and the constant battles between Van and Dilandau without any resulting significance propel their encounters into Team Rocket levels of overuse), but I'm glad I finally got to watch this and the ending can't come around quick enough! Very impressive show.
"Truth can always be found deep in the dungeon."
~ Balmung of the Azure Sky
Jul 9, 2012 7:44 PM
Jul 2012
I absolutely fell in love with this series. I saw it a bit when I was younger, but later when I grew up watched the whole thing on DVD. The thing that made it my favorite though was the fact that this anime has, action, romance, mystery, a compelling plot, a love story, and even steampunkish mechas. What more could you ask for. :)
Sep 13, 2012 7:47 PM
Oct 2011
an interesting historical fact for those who do not know it Issac Newton WAS into the occult. For obvious reasons this is not taught in school but it is an historical fact that can be verified by anyone who bothers to do a bit of research. The fact that I new that bit of trivia helped me enjoy the Dornkirk = Issac Newton reveal alot more then if i hadn't and really shows the care the writers give to this kind of thing
Jun 17, 2014 4:44 AM

Jun 2013
Van cares about the fate of the world and Hitomi cares about petty matters such as love.. god damnit Hitomi.

burbels said:
Intelligence is an ability for understanding and also for making answers and questions. As long as the story follows some known or unknown but implied rules, it is true and coherent and can't insult an intelligence. What it can insult is the patterns of thought (don't like how characters thinkfeelact), stereotypes (it's just wrong!) of a person.
An insult to intelligence is a firm belief in that something cannot be just because. That something cannot be done is a matter of an aggreement. We do not know what kind of technology it was and on what principles it worked but there are enough hints on that Isaac was Newton's "dark side" - an alchemist and mage. Through which medium gravitational force is transfered? Does it apply to "material" objects or there are analogues in the realm of probability? Why so many theories, and where is the global paradigm? Many theories in science could be considered an insult to intelligence, as far as I know. And still we don't realy know what is elecricity for one.
I can see how ignorance can be insulted by this series. But then there are some transitions which shake the pillar of "space" and also "time" is being penetrated often, but I don't detect foul play storywise. Besides, "space" & "time" are not pilars anyway. They don't exist outside a scene.

Haha wow, I know this is 3 years old but you owned that Beatnik kid so hard. This show is much deeper than it appears, many people are just so simple these days and cannot understand.
ex_necrossJun 17, 2014 4:57 AM
Dec 15, 2014 4:18 AM

Apr 2013
Ugh. I can't emphasize enough how much I hate Hitomi. Dumb ass bitch always ruining everything. Go back to Earth already.
Apr 26, 2015 7:49 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

Alter Fate / 5

Beautiful! I knew what was coming and was looking forward to it. :D
The rain, the music, fate alteration... this is why I LOVE this anime.
Jun 4, 2015 6:06 PM

Mar 2010
ex_necross said:
Van cares about the fate of the world and Hitomi cares about petty matters such as love.. god damnit Hitomi.

burbels said:

Haha wow, I know this is 3 years old but you owned that Beatnik kid so hard. This show is much deeper than it appears, many people are just so simple these days and cannot understand.

You don't have to be rude and say that to Beatnik. The Fate Alteration Machine ruined the story so far. Not only it looks ridiculous but it also creates "forced" or "unnecessary" drama, trying to make the story interesting. Maybe I shouldn't say this yet because I just finished this episode and haven't finish the rest.
Jun 5, 2015 3:31 PM

Jan 2010
They weaponized love.

I...I don't know about this.
Oct 1, 2015 2:46 PM

Jul 2010
Just...nope. This was not the direction I wanted this show to go...
Jan 29, 2016 11:52 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, that destiny alteration engine is creepy, being able to make Allen and Hitomi kiss...Van's gonna be jealous!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2016 3:36 AM

Nov 2011
LOOOOOOOL OH MY GOD
I GOTTA GIVE IT TO THE GUYS AT SUNRISE
THIS WAS COMEDY GOLD LMAO
Jun 8, 2016 9:02 AM

Mar 2016
So Van wants to save the world, Hitomi throws one of her petty temper tantrums and Van STILL goes out to look for Hitomi. Van you are the MAN!
Although it's getting extremely cliche with Van walking in at the exact second when Hitomi and Allen are having a moment. Its happened twice now. Van already proved to us that he is more concerned with saving the planet than falling in love with Hitomi, so I don't know what the creators are trying to evoke. Because it sure isn't jealousy.
Hitomi go back to earth already.
Jul 29, 2016 8:30 PM

May 2016
this whole ep was so weird... like at first it seems like Van's making a love confession when he's totally not and then thousands of Zaibach soldiers are used to meddle in a school's girls love life. I was like WUT??

but lol when I realized Folken basically screwed over Van's love life >.<

Also Issac spying on Hitomi was really funny. He was like, what's happening? I'm missing the best part!
"Everyone is equal in death." - Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"You know what, if you're talking about living or dying, I died once two years ago... But the day I met you... After I met you, I've come back to life!" - Enmadou Rokuro (Twin Star Exorcist)

"'What is gone, is gone!!! So ask yourself this!! What is there, that still remains to you?!!!' (Jinbei)
'I STILL HAVE MY FRIENDS!!!' (Monkey D Luffy)" -One Piece

"Everything... will be ok." - Kinomoto Sakura (Sakura Card Captor)
May 6, 2017 5:46 PM

Dec 2012
Van is a cutie. Also his "confession" kinda reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVA05MDfR7M
Dec 27, 2017 6:32 AM
Jun 2017
Hitomi: Ew! They're sour! What are these?
Van: they're piscuss.
-_-'
Feb 1, 2018 4:26 PM

Feb 2013
"Alter fate."

This is the other episode that I turn up the volume for.
^_^

The shoujo is strong with this one.

Van did confess... but he wimped out (Folken called it). Seeing Hitomi and Allen kissing = broke heart.
The entire point was to separate Van and Hitomi. Mission accomplished.

I don't get how this is difficult to understand. Dornkirk's "machine" is no surprise either, if one pays attention in previous episodes.
Apr 24, 2018 3:24 PM

Nov 2016
Hell,this development is way more interesting than the whole infodump in previous episodes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 15, 2019 5:14 PM

Nov 2012
That was way overdramatic for no reason.
I mean, Allen supposed to be a good guy, is not like she kissed a villain.
May 9, 2019 10:23 AM

Oct 2012
*whispers* "What the fuck"
More of the 90s drama. There isn't a kiss that people won't see. If you kiss, somebody is watching.
I didn't really like it. I would like the romance to go naturally, not a machine to change it as they like it, uh... And I like Allen, so... I don't know, I didn't like the development very much. Onto the next...
Oct 15, 2019 12:05 PM

Jul 2008
The show seems to be going full on shoujo at this point. The focus is pretty much all on the relationships of the heroes and love triangles.
Jun 16, 2020 8:32 PM
Feb 2020
Beatnik said:
burbels said:
This show is brilliant! It seems that not many people get those concepts on which it is based, a pity. Those who try to be ironic (without any base really) about it are the worst.

Some people expect a narrative to usually make sense, entertain and not insult the intelligence of the viewer with deus ex machinas.

... Said about a show that literally has machines made by gods.

Old comment, but found it hysterically ironic.
Nov 15, 2020 2:07 PM

Feb 2012
Dornkirk predicts that Hitomi will be guiding an army of Escaflownes (or "Dragons")? I actually want to see that..

But for now, they remotely controlled Allen and Hitomi's actions to prevent the powerful combination of Hitomi's divination ability and Van's/Escaflowne's fighting abilities (though Van being so oblivious seems to have done that himself).
Fortress_MaximusNov 15, 2020 2:16 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 20, 2021 9:09 AM

May 2020
Well, that was creepy as hell. You'd think Hitomi's powers would counteract the Fate Alteration Engine's powers (Which to be fair, it did look like it was going to do) but still, it is very creepy that the Fate Engine can do this, even though the whole Allen x Hitomi pairing has been in the cards since Ep 3.

Which brings me to my point, there really shouldn't be a conflict, since Van has expressed next to zero romanctic interest in Hitomi (Something the show literally made fun of 10 minutes before) and yet I'm guessing he's going to be all mopey in the next episode because drama.

Also, it was very hilarious when Folken knew Van wouldn't "cross the line".
Aug 23, 2021 12:04 PM
Jan 2017
Well that's one hell of a deus ex machines. It basically one emotions and all you seemingly need is a DNA sample and actors to act the scene. How long were able to use this? Think of all the things you can do with it. Get samples of all the politicians and rulers and then basically rule the world then. No war needed.

The only restriction I take away is you the actors have similar feeling for each other as the people you want to control. Even then you have a hole empire you control with a least thousands of people. easy enough to find the people you need.
Dec 11, 2021 9:12 AM

Nov 2013
Turns out that to take over the world you don't need to win an actual war, but a shipping war. I totally understand why Isaac let out that evil laugh at the end of the episode, it's a really euphoric feeling when your ship wins.
Jan 11, 2022 3:22 AM

May 2019
Folken: Naw, we don't need war man, we need love.

Hitomi doesn't realize she has FRIENDS who care about her, epic POWERS and a purpose in Gaea when she's walking through the rain? Such a teenage girl.
At this point the show is all 'Girl, you didn't pick your crush so we'll pick one for you."

LOL for some reason this was so epic due to the music, Folken+Cat girl and the machines making this happen. This made me giggle hysterically and yet I loved it.

Jul 31, 2023 11:35 PM

Jun 2021
WHAT!? NOOOOO ALLEN KISSED HITOMI, THIS IS BAD SONS OF A BITCH OF ZAIBACH'S PEOPLE, I DROPPED THIS SHIP LONG AGO, ALLEN IS TO ADULT FOR HITOMI THIS GUY EVEN HAD A CHILD IT'S ILLEGAL AND HIS INTENTIONS WERE NEVER 100% ROMANTIC WITH SHE AAAA
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Feb 19, 9:35 PM

Nov 2021
NOOOOO HITOMI, ALLEN RIZZED UP 2 OUT OF 3 SISTERS HAD A KID WITH ONE OF THEM!!!!
Van & Hitomi are a better MATCH NOOOOOO 😭 😭 😭
AND ISN'T ALLEN LIKE AN ACTUAL ADULT?!?

Feb 19, 9:36 PM

Nov 2021
Reply to Adriannitro
WHAT!? NOOOOO ALLEN KISSED HITOMI, THIS IS BAD SONS OF A BITCH OF ZAIBACH'S PEOPLE, I DROPPED THIS SHIP LONG AGO, ALLEN IS TO ADULT FOR HITOMI THIS GUY EVEN HAD A CHILD IT'S ILLEGAL AND HIS INTENTIONS WERE NEVER 100% ROMANTIC WITH SHE AAAA
@Adriannitro I AGREE 😭 I HOPE HITOMI ENDS UP WITH VAN

Feb 19, 10:00 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to Altadena
@Adriannitro I AGREE 😭 I HOPE HITOMI ENDS UP WITH VAN
@Altadena omg, someone who type like me, in that time when i had a reply in every episode...such a good days...
Well well, don't cry bro/sis, our heroine isn't dumb, she willl be in the right way, everything is fine, i swaer i swear haha.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

More topics from this board

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

maLakai - Jan 12, 2009

118 by Lockensocke »»
Apr 8, 12:23 AM

» Remember when people thought this was one of the greatest anime ever?

Schlockendale - Jan 13, 2022

17 by Lockensocke »»
Apr 7, 8:44 AM

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 25 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Mar 22, 2009

22 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 7, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 24 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Mar 22, 2009

36 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 7, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 23 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Mar 21, 2009

37 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 7, 8:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.