Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2009 7:43 PM
Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After watching the majority of this show as a kid, I finally decided to go back and finish it up. I gotta say, for a show about a children's card game, that ending sure was intense...
Sep 8, 2009 3:08 AM

Jul 2009
And soo gay,it really screwed up the anime.
May 2, 2012 6:57 AM

Mar 2012
I really enjoyed this anime overall so I dont agree with the person above me.
Oct 4, 2012 10:25 AM

Apr 2007
I felt a lot of chills during the duel lol. What a great way to end this series.

Well, after so many years, I finally finished it all. Feels good :)
Mar 7, 2013 7:10 PM
Jul 2009
Liked the episode a lot. It was a good way to end the series.

Jul 9, 2013 4:26 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah, it was a very intense duel, especially for the kids..
Although there is some contradiction with rules and effects that I know.. ( and so many coincidental of course as always ).. but it's still okay..
8,5/10 ( I am confused if to give it 8 or 9 )
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 16, 2014 10:05 AM

Oct 2012
So this is the end... Like Tristan said, it feels strange. I guess it's a good ending, a happy end. The duel was amazing and intense and it feels right to see Atem go.
Overall I really enjoyed this series. I thought it would be boring to see it as a grown up, but that wasn't the case. Even the filler-arcs were very good. Some of the duels from the filler were better than some of the main story imo. I have to say the "Dawn of the duel" arc was my least favorite. It was interesting to get so much information about Atem's past, but this arc was very dragged. Still not bad.

I guess I'll give this a 8/10 because of the good ending. At first I wanted to give it a 7, but nah :D

I'll miss this series and I hope the other seasons don't suck. I heard they aren't as good, but who knows...
Jul 17, 2014 1:43 PM

Sep 2011
The ending was great. That was certainly the best duel of the series, was so intense and emotional

I really enjoyed watch this anime again, and I will definitely miss it. Now it's time to watch the GX, I hope it's as good as this one.
Jul 26, 2014 5:28 PM
Aug 2008
Like many of you here, I had watched it as a child and now just finished it. I am so sad its over! I loved it and am glad I have it as part of my collection. I totally cried when Atem had to leave though... boo. Yu Gi Oh! will always have a special place in my heart.

Ps- Every time anyone said "deck" so forcefully (in the English version), it sounded like "dick". So needless to say, I laughed every time.
Jan 8, 2015 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
Was a good ending to a good duel they had.
I loved the show way more as a child, and was more intrigued by the card system.
From the start I couldnt stand Yugi's VA (Japanese), but he improved himself over the course of the show.

7/10

Finished the show in 12 days.
If not for the fact that 4Kids dubbed it (changing plotlines, changing cards, tending more to the younger audience) I would've watched it English dubbed.
PrOxAntoOct 24, 2015 2:57 PM
Sep 13, 2015 6:25 AM

Jun 2012
They probably should have done dawn of the duel and the duel ceremony straight after battle city. That was the peak of this show.
Sep 15, 2015 10:48 PM

Mar 2015
Sol_Ou said:
They probably should have done dawn of the duel and the duel ceremony straight after battle city. That was the peak of this show.

^This. Battle City was the most amazing arc ever. But then they had to add a filler arc >_>
Oct 11, 2015 6:09 PM
Oct 2015
This was the perfect ending to the yugioh show and I cry everytime I watch it
Nov 13, 2015 2:15 PM

Apr 2009
I've just rewatched parts of the show (in german which was adapted from the US version), and also watched it in japanese. The 4kids version is def totally screwing up the show. The original is darker and def not for kids.
That being said, it was nostalgic and enjoyable ride. The ending was indeed sad, but it is a fitting conclusion to the show.

There was some speculation of whether Yugi is a reincarnation of the Pharaoh, which wouldn't be possible bc Yami is obviously the soul that was sealed away and you can't reincarnate without a soul. Someone explained it in a YT video: In ancient egypt, however, it is believed that the soul is not one but consist of five parts. So Yugi could be a reincarnation of ONE part of the Pharaoh's soul, while Yami is another part that was sealed away when Atem died.

The weakest arc (aside from the one in the virtual world with Noah) is the Doma arc, I thought that back then and still don't like it very much upon rewatching it.
Feb 21, 2016 5:53 PM

Sep 2007
I just wish Atem hadn't left. I wanted him to stay with Yugi and the others.
May 8, 2016 8:59 AM

Oct 2013
It was a ending I was not prepared for. It all ended so quick. But god damn, it was heartbreaking.

It was a long journey and sometimes some duels have been quiet boring. But overall, especially the very last fight and the last arc in total, it was moren than such a children-series for myself.

I'm sad the Anime is over now, but I am looking forward to the new movie.

Atem, you havnt only changed the lifes of your friends - Yuugi, Joey, Anzuand, Honda and Seto - but also mine for having some overwhelming feelings during the last few episodes.

8/10
My only regret is having regrets!
Jul 2, 2016 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
10/10 the ending made me cry T_T

The only thing that I want to know is, the pharon still remember them even tho he went to his world?

RedSwordHeart said:
I just wish Atem hadn't left. I wanted him to stay with Yugi and the others.

This ^
Aug 1, 2016 4:09 PM

Sep 2007
In the manga, Yami no Yugi reassured Yugi and friends that he wouldn't forget them when he left.
Sep 26, 2016 9:28 AM

May 2016
This was intense It I have felt it right in my heart (◞‸◟)
I watched most of the episode since 2003 but never had a chance too watch the last episode and thanks God I didn't see a spoiler after 13 years finally I finished it this was the saddest ep of Yugioh
Jan 16, 2019 7:49 PM

Jul 2013
I'm a little late to the party here, but I'm sure there's someone like me out there who is watching or re-watching the series (right?) and I've got to say that was an emotional rollercoaster and I have to speak about it.

At first I just started it because I felt nostalgic about YuGiOh. As a kid I never watched past the first arc so a lot of this was new to me. Honestly speaking I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did being 22. That last arc was amazing. It had its pacing issues, but I still loved it. The Atem vs. Yugi duel was intense and the ending had me in tears. I'm going to read the manga really soon, just because I want to see the differences (but mainly because I need more Atem).

Finally, although the card effects were majorly altered and made me scratch my head, I still loved the show overall. Initially I thought I'd give it a 7 at best, but I was proven wrong. 8/10.
Jul 7, 2019 7:13 AM

Sep 2017
Finished this anime a bit late,but it was great.

JasminelNov 6, 2020 12:36 PM
The remake of Berserk is a mistake.
Jul 11, 2019 9:46 PM
Jul 2019
Finally got around to rewatching this. I watched the dub like many ways back when and now I had to do it in Japanese, which definitely is an incredible step up from the dub.

Binged this all in the span of 2 weeks, skipping the filler arcs. The final moments of Battle City against Malik were originally my favorite but I think now I have to say everything in Season 5 tops it. YamiBakura's twisted development across the series pays off too well, and the entire change of pace of the season adds to it. I also always felt a lack of closure for the series in the dub, as it just cuts to commercials right after Atem leaves, so it was really nice that the JP ver had an entire credit and aftercredit sequence that gave closure to everyone's lives, something I've needed for 14 years since seeing the end of the dub.

Having skipped the filler, it's actually really amazing just how short the original Yu-Gi-Oh is, clocking in at just about 130 episodes. The story is slow yet also incredibly fast. Actions take a while to complete since duels span many episodes but at the same time they happen one after another. We know nothing of Atem until we fight Pegasus which doesn't conclude until episode 40, then we immediately jump to him realizing he has memories to recover and so cue Battle City for 60 episodes, which once YamiMalik is defeated there is only 23 more canon episodes then the final duel begins. This leaves a very sad feeling on Atem's parting because it truly felt like we actually only just got to know him and our time with him was so short and yet he has to leave us forever. In such a way I sort of respect the filler because it adds the time we see Atem but on the other hand the added bittersweetness of the ending is truly what the author intended.

Seeing this series as intended has been truly amazing, with the raw character devlopements and action, and has pushed me to get back into studying Japanese. Originally I wasn't too fond of the JP OST but I actually think I may prefer it over the dubs OST now.

But that being said, this whole series still stands up incredibly well and you can definitely tell that while they wanted to sell the card game with it, there was still an immense amount of soul put into it and it's story that imo Zexal and up lack.
Oct 14, 2019 2:15 PM

Nov 2016
Liked the way how Yugi won this duel. He finally overcame Atem or rather said, his other self. It's a happy ending, but the farewell fucking hit in the feels for real. I guess this is also the case due to some strong nostaltic feelings. Yu-gi-oh! was one of my very first anime after all.

All the arcs were really entertaining, in particular the dawn of the duel arc. While still not quite my favorite, it was way better than I remembered it to be and Yami Bakura or Zorc got to show what he was made off. The finale duel w

The little credits epilogue was nice too, but seeing Mai and Vivien together dueling against the Paradox brothers was so random xD

All in all, very good watch. Next is rewatching GX.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2020 9:32 PM

Dec 2011
The biggest monsters are the ones in our hearts and Yugi conquered them, finally reclaiming his crown; found his courage. The ghost of everything he wanted to be is no longer in his shadow. He knows how to be happy again and to face things alone, but he's never really alone because no one is. I’m not crying, you are.

Not even my nostalgia goggles could have prepared me for this. Like others, this is my re-watch, though I didn’t stick with just sub or dub. Watching them together was actually so much fun. There’s some things I prefer in dub (comedy, dialogue, banter between Kaiba & Joey), but for the most part, like when it comes to emotions (especially this final season), sub has more impact.

My heart is so so full. Really didn’t expect to find such clever writing through an adult perspective. It’s obvious a lot of heart went into it. I’m a sucker for storytelling with a focus on identity, and it’s amazing how that theme was never lost using card games. I heard from someone that they call this Takahashi’s 18th Dynasty fanfiction, so with that in mind, I only wish I knew more about Egyptian mythology to further appreciate all the nooks and crannies inside his big galaxy brain. "Living image of the Aten" aka King Tut aka our Atem? Beautiful. Some of the character explorations are also in the details, so it's a goldmine for anyone that likes to think about meta.

Everything about this final duel was poetry. Sealing Monster Reborn as a reflection of Atem belonging to the afterlife hit me hard. There’s never a focus on drama, but if there was, the beautiful tragedy we witnessed in 224 episodes would have left me more in shambles. If I were to change anything, Ryou having more screen time and addressing how he feels about his dark counterpart is the main thing I crave. It's not like Dark!Bakura or Zorc needed a redemption arc either, especially since he's the biggest bad, but since everyone else had forgiveness/sympathy thrown their way, I feel like there was probably more to be said about how he felt wronged by the pharaoh.

I’ve missed feeling intensely about characters, and YGO has some of the best. Just look at those loveable villains. Excited to be moving onto the manga and GX for the first time.
May 26, 2020 4:36 AM
Feb 2020
7.5 ratting?
This was really amazing and deserve 8+
Nov 5, 2020 3:50 PM

Dec 2014
That was a good duel for an amazing show. 7/10 Love this series.
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
Nov 8, 2020 4:12 AM

Feb 2018
Man I knew I'd cry I wished they could have stayed together without the fact Atem would have been locked 5000 years. This duel was so intense I liked this arc a lot it was a good way to finish this serie.
Dec 4, 2020 10:08 AM

Nov 2017
And that is that! Good duel!

So this would be my 11th re-watch. And like I've said before, no matter how many times I watch the anime, or read the manga, or play the card game, I am truly touched by the characters' friendship.

The part where Atem was going to the afterlife, and Honda, Jonouchi and Anzu called to him really got to me. They're all like with tears in their eyes, "We'll never forget you! You'll always be with us!" Damn, that's the type of friendship and impact on people anyone would want.

It's nice to see most of the other characters like Mai, Rebecca, Shizuka, Haga, Ryuzaki, etc. in the credits. "When you're living your life, someone else is living theirs" as my brother would say.

It's always nice watching this anime, idk when I'll re-watch it again, but I'll look forward to it when I get around to it!
Jan 6, 2021 2:53 AM

Nov 2009
Awesome stuff. Had some very rough moments with most of the filler arcs in particular and the insertion of a villain like Zorc very late on but Duelist Kingdom, Battle City Finals, Virtual World and the Final duel between Yugi and Atem really stood out for me as great to excellent.

8/10
Jan 31, 2021 9:00 PM

Nov 2020
Best Anime series I watch

11/10
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Mar 1, 2021 7:50 PM
Mar 2017
Very good choreographed last duel. Only yugi vs kaiba battle city tops this by a little. Overall pretty good series, a bit too repetitive at times but it was all worth it for the ending. i 'liked it' 7/10.
Mar 9, 2021 3:23 PM

Aug 2019
As nostalgic as this episode makes me, I always hated how it ended so anti-climactically with everyone just starting up at the sky in the end.

To make matters worse, the dub totally screwed viewers over by cutting out the special ending credits and the post-credit scene that gave some characters a bit more closure.
Apr 6, 2021 5:42 PM
Aug 2013
What a great ending, although it could have had more of an epilogue. Watched all 224 episodes this time and seen the ending for the first time since seeing the anime as a kid some 15 years ago... I did go with the 4Kids dub for additional nostalgia, but I am quite bothered by some ridiculous censorship they did, so next time definitely watching in Japanese. I still love the VA and the music by 4Kids however
May 9, 2021 7:11 AM

Apr 2020
Fantastic duel.

Ofc it was Resurrection of the Dead, the most prioritized spell in the series. It's incredible that it was what Yugi predicted

---

It started inconsistent and honestly boring, but as the show progresses it gets more interesting and exciting especially Battle City arc

Loved this show. I don't even know myself why exactly. Was it because of the story? the card game? the characters? the hype? or... everything?(classic line lol)

Seriously, if I hadn't already known how to play the card game or watched its 3 spin-offs, I would have definitely dropped this show in the first place

Anyway, although this show was amazing, and lovable, its flaws and inconsistencies also worth consideration and I gotta be unbiased with my score—so I give it a 7/10
May 18, 2021 12:07 AM
Feb 2021
I loved it.
It was a great ending and the duel was breath taking.
Jan 8, 2022 3:02 AM

Jan 2020
Well with this Mutou Yugi is now the Duel King....he'll carry the burden of catering Seto with his duel sessions...
Jan 8, 2022 3:04 AM

Jan 2020
I liked the ending....wouldn't want some ending like "Atem will always be inside Yugi"....
Apr 26, 2022 11:29 PM

Nov 2010
That was a nice duel and it made me sad to see Atem move on to the afterlife.

I wanted to give this series a higher rating, but most of the last arc was a drag to watch. 7/10
Oct 6, 2022 8:28 AM
May 2016
Я Досмотрел, УРА!!!
Dec 31, 2022 4:11 PM
Dec 2022
..................................................................................................................
Apr 16, 2023 3:28 PM

Nov 2015
Rewatched again , still crying as always 
and RIP Kazuki Takahashi
May 29, 2023 6:59 PM
Feb 2023
it feels so good to have finally finished duel monsters. lots of tears shed! this final duel was freaking amazing. it was very bittersweet to see atem leaving. this series has taken over my life (in a good way), and i can't wait to move on with the rest of the franchise and eventually learn the card game myself! thank you takahashi!!!!
Jun 22, 2023 2:10 PM
May 2020
childhood and susch
Aug 30, 2023 11:39 AM
Jun 2023
amazing, perfect. yugi muto is so cute.
Sep 4, 2023 7:03 AM
Sep 2023
Ended the franchise greatly.
Sep 5, 2023 6:20 PM
Jan 2018
Takahashi changed the world with his manga and anime adaption. And shockingly, watch the last 4 episodes as a 35 year old was a great experience. Peak anime even. I don't think I have it in me to watch the show again, even sans fillers, but if you ever heard about this show and watched any part of Battle City at some point in your life, you owe it to yourself to watch how Yugi's story ends.

Also, Takahashi died in the most noble way ever, drowning while attempting to save a drowning persons life. In the end, he was more of a hero than any character he ever created.

More topics from this board

» Favorite "Duel Monsters" saga? And why?

Matthappy - Mar 26

16 by Matthappy »»
Apr 6, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 32 Discussion

Frezlaj - Jan 31, 2014

13 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 29 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

7 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 27 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

10 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 24 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 20, 2010

19 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.