Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is this show underrated?
Jan 31, 2014 2:11 PM

Nov 2013
I first picked this show up after watching an anime reviewer (gigguk) have one of the main characters as his number 7 of coolest anime characters. I watched the shows and loved it. Thought it was a great adaption to a great book and i expected it to be really watched and really liked. However, it doesn't seem like the case, the show isn't rated too high and the popularity is really low. (note that your opinions don't change my views of the show to all those people who say "why do you even care anyways"). So yeah, I'm just curious as to why not many people watch/like this show.
Jan 31, 2014 2:13 PM

Nov 2012
"The only thing all humans are equal in... is death."
Jan 31, 2014 4:01 PM

Nov 2013
the lacks of posts proves my point i guess
Feb 9, 2014 5:40 PM
Nov 2013
You are absolutely right.
What a great adaptation. Didnt completely follow the original story of The Count Of Monte Cristo, but the changes they've made were awesome.
Including that demon possession thing that made the character more evil and misterious.
This is one of my favorites, highly recommended.
Feb 9, 2014 5:43 PM

Mar 2008
It's highly rated by those who've seen it. I myself, haven't yet, but it's considered as a 'highly acclaimed' show by hardcore online 'english' fans.
Feb 11, 2014 6:34 AM

Dec 2012
I wouldn't call #158 underrated, but it definitely often goes under the radar. I initially avoided it because of a combination of the year + cover art (looked like it'd be something silly like Inferno Cop), but my concerns were quickly dissolved once I started watching it.

As for why people don't like it, I won't go as far as to say it's "2deep", but it's definitely not something you can watch with your brain switched off. Which based on the episode discussions I responded to, a fair amount of people did. I even saw some claim that the mech suits didn't fit into the story, which is like...it's a futuristic sci-fi outer space setting, what did you expect?
Feb 20, 2014 6:22 PM

Aug 2010
Yes

IMO it has one of the best stories. It was a really intriguing series and deserves to be a lot more known.
Mar 22, 2014 8:41 PM

Apr 2013
Mhm when I finished reading the abridged version of the novel and found out about the anime (almost immediately after finishing the book) I didn't bother watching the series until a few years later...

Fortunately for me... I forgot most of the plots lol
I was able to enjoy this series as much as the book :P

Dec 18, 2015 8:46 AM

Jun 2012
Its not underrated its just not popular.
Dec 18, 2015 10:55 AM

Nov 2013
Sol_Ou said:
Its not underrated its just not popular.

yeah after like two years I figured that out xD
Jan 5, 2016 6:22 AM

Dec 2013
Its highly rated, but not famous like alot of mainstream good ones, so yah, i think you are right.
Apr 10, 2016 1:17 PM

Nov 2014
I think it is rated properly, but the lack of people who watched it makes me upset.

Apr 11, 2016 8:06 PM

Jun 2007
By MAL's low standards, it is ridiculously underrated, although if numbers were used with more common sense the average wouldn't be so bad. The fact it has an 8.29 average with only 32,000 votes is the more annoying part; averages usually dropping with increased viewers.

But, yeah: so few people having seen the series or knowing it even exists is the bigger issue. There aren't any other series like it, really, so recommendations don't direct much traffic to its MAL page and Gonzo are hated/dead. Plus the series was a commercial failure. It was recently released in the UK on Blu-ray, despite not selling in JP and the US, and predictably no-one got it.
Apr 11, 2016 8:10 PM

Apr 2014
Criminally underrated, but I get why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.
Apr 21, 2016 3:49 PM

Sep 2013
Very much so, in my opinion.

This is one of my favorite anime series, and it gets better on each rewatch because I always notice something that I missed before. The story telling and dialogue really is on par with other critically acclaimed anime like Monster, but isn't given anywhere near as much credit.

I recommend it to as many people as possible, and sometimes watch it with them just so it gets more attention. It's definitely not for everyone. Many people claim that its few incredible moments are sandwiched between slow and at times tedious dialogue (and yet Monster is never criticized for this, despite being more guilty lol).

I was surprised to see the average has dropped to 8.29
Considering what shows are ranked above it, that's BS - but it's also MAL, so what do you expect?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 4:20 PM

Oct 2013
Very underrated indeed. Though alot of persons found it to be boring.
Apr 10, 2019 10:16 PM
Apr 2019
No. Very poor. The demonic possession spoiled the story and turned the count into a mere unidimensional psychopath.
All adaptations have changes, apesra with Alan badel and with jacques weber are more similar to the book.
Despite all the changes and I hate the 2002 version, the count there still had a human heart. Here it looked like a Dracula and not the count.

It was disastrous to replace Father Farias with the gankutsuou.
Apr 10, 2019 10:37 PM

Oct 2013
Davidtppelin said:
No. Very poor. The demonic possession spoiled the story and turned the count into a mere unidimensional psychopath.
All adaptations have changes, apesra with Alan badel and with jacques weber are more similar to the book.
Despite all the changes and I hate the 2002 version, the count there still had a human heart. Here it looked like a Dracula and not the count.

It was disastrous to replace Father Farias with the gankutsuou.

Maybe you would have enjoyed it more if you didn't read the source material.

keragamming said:
Very underrated indeed. Though alot of persons found it to be boring.

Hello me from the past. lol

May 5, 2019 1:26 PM

May 2014
I dropped this 5 years ago now I picked it up again currently binge watching hahaha.
May 5, 2019 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
It's only worth watching because of the Count. Everyone else are pathetic assholes.
Jun 1, 2019 3:26 PM

Sep 2013
youthful said:
It's only worth watching because of the Count. Everyone else are pathetic assholes.

Franz? Haydée? Maximilian? Noirtier?

I agree that the Count is better by a million miles, but what would you expect? It's the same way in the novel too
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2019 9:14 PM

Sep 2017
lol I come back here after watching Gigguk's video about this show, seems he liked this way before....
Jun 30, 2019 12:13 PM

May 2018
Well yes but actually no
Dec 21, 2019 8:26 AM

Oct 2013
No, it's overrated. The more people watch it, the more the score drops.
Jan 25, 2020 6:26 AM

Jan 2016
No its complete trash and I feel awful that I lost 8 hours of my life getting baited by good reviews. I thought it was because the story would be amazing but it was actually just because a bunch of retards with dunning kruger think fancy words = good dialogue and deep story.

Also albert is a huge fucking cuck who loves the count enough to almost kiss him even though the count never liked albert and was responsible for the death of the only person that actually liked albert.
DhaarokJan 25, 2020 6:30 AM
Jan 28, 2020 9:14 PM

Apr 2013
"The Count of Monte Cristo" is the most famous revenge work, like next to "Alice in Wonderland", it's one of the most adapted and influential books around. Even if you've never read the book or seen a movie or TV series about it, you at least know of it from cultural osmosis, so I wouldn't call it "underrated". Yeah, this anime might not be as widely-watched except by maybe the "arthouse folks" or however you'd call them, but it's a mature show that needs to be approached as such.

It had been years since I saw the 2002 movie, and I need to get around to reading the book, but Gankutsuou was quite a fascinating watch, even years after hearing raving reviews about it. I'm honestly pleased the art direction still holds up for the most part, like I know Gonzo gets shit on a lot for their CGI, but I think this is the best work they've done. They're luckily still around, but this is ambition you just don't see in anime anymore. I think that's what makes it stand out from the bunch.

The Count's definitely the best character of the series (it's literally named after him), but I thought the other characters were good and balanced each other out--some could've had a bit more screentime and things to do like Peppo, though. Albert needed to grow up, that's when he got to be bearable. But he's not your typical young protagonist, and I think that's why people seem to not like him so much. We're just too used to characters being cool bad-asses from the start, but Albert being too real makes a lot of viewers cringe and hate on him (thereby missing the entire point of the anime and its aesop it wanted to tell).
Feb 14, 2020 4:37 PM

Aug 2016
Yes, it's one of the best Gonzo series and Albert is one of the finest examples of a pleb filter character.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 4, 2021 11:23 AM
Jan 2021
8.16 is not under-rated, it's more like underwatched and much discussed upon.
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Nov 4, 2021 5:16 PM
Jul 2020
Masterful maked anime

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
8 hours ago

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.