Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 19, 2007 10:34 PM

Jul 2007
I don't know whether this is possible within the boundaries of the site's code, but would there be any way to enable an option to customize the titles of series entries, or at least to select one of the alternate titles that's already added into the site? There are several series on my list that I know by their translated/dubbed titles, and it's rather distracting to see some eight-word Japanese title instead of something like "Naruto Movie 1." (Heck, it took me a good ten minutes to figure out that the Mega Man series I was watching was listed under "Ryusei no Rockman.") Would implementing this be feasible?
Nov 19, 2007 11:37 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
What could 'maybe' be implemented, is something like:

If said anime has an English title filled in, and you've chosen in your profile/list settings to 'show English titles when available', use the English title as the default anime title.

What that work? This could be turned on for your list, and for browsing around the site (list would probably be implemented first though).
Nov 20, 2007 1:01 AM

Jul 2007
Yes, that would be very handy, if it's possible.
Nov 23, 2007 8:50 PM

Sep 2007
I completely agree with this.

Xinil it would be awesome if we could edit the titles of the shows on our list.

However I'd like to be able to completely edit the names of the anime on my list because i'd like it to be organized. If that is possible..
Nov 24, 2007 3:36 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
While being able to choose one of the available titles for the series to display sounds reasonable, choosing your very own title is most definitely not going to happen.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 25, 2007 11:06 AM
Nov 2007
Hayuchu said:
I think something like the drop down option (like the one being used for eps/scores when title is edited) where all the possible titles for the entry would be included (the currently main title + the alternative titles) can be really simple and useful.

I highly endorse this product and/or service.
Dec 8, 2008 12:25 PM

Jun 2008
While exploring MAL (once again) I noticed under the Naruto anime section, that all the side stories have aweful long and confusing names in a mix between Japanese and English titles. The worst example I could find there is "Naruto: Dai Katsugeki!! Yuki Hime Shinobu Houjou Dattebayo! Special: Konoha Annual Sports Festival".

The rest of the side stories are either of Japanese or English titles. My suggestion here is to convert all the entries into the same language so it doesn't cause this confusion among the titles - I'd propose the English titles for overall better understanding and then add their Japanese titles under "Alternative Titles" (just below the picture).
I have not checked if this regards other sections as well, it just caught my attention when I passed by.

Anyone in favor for this?

PS: Just a few off-topic anime relation issues about Naruto:
(nothing critical ^^ - I have no idea where else to "report" this)

Lol a lot of links -.-'
Thank you for your time.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Dec 8, 2008 12:42 PM

Aug 2007
In the way the entries are set up is the name, the alternate names, the english version, and the Kanji version (at least, thats how the manga's are set up)

When I approve Manga's, I tend to favor the language of choice (Japanese, korean, etc) because the english alt name is provided. You'll find though that most of the time the titles are in English anyway, so thats why it may be confusing sometimes.

Im all for making it all original language. Not every anime/manga is translated officially into English, so you have to use the original names anyway. Its more official that way.

Dec 8, 2008 1:32 PM

Aug 2008
Besides most of english translations doesn't make much sense and often sound just stupid. But I guess entry title is mostly one of the most popular.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 8, 2008 3:31 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Antanaru said:
Besides most of english translations doesn't make much sense and often sound just stupid. But I guess entry title is mostly one of the most popular.

^^
Dec 15, 2008 2:52 AM

Mar 2008
I am in total support of this idea :D. Make it happen plz Xinil.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Dec 15, 2008 7:24 AM

Oct 2007
Antanaru said:
Which would you prefer: A half assed translation or no translation at all?

And I'm in favor of this, with English titles being used as much as possible.
Dec 15, 2008 8:03 AM

Aug 2008
No translation at all. If you're going to screw something up than don't do anything.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 15, 2008 8:08 AM

Nov 2007
I'd rather titles stay (or default to) original, untranslated titles. Have regional translations as alternative titles, kinda like AniDB does. Or I guess maybe add an option for people to select default language (EN or JP, since I seriously doubt there are enough tertiary language titles in the db to warrant otherwise).

But I most definitely don't want to see English translations as the default display.
Dec 15, 2008 8:25 AM

Feb 2008
Asako said:
I'd rather titles stay (or default to) original, untranslated titles. Have regional translations as alternative titles, kinda like AniDB does. Or I guess maybe add an option for people to select default language (EN or JP...)
I like this idea, a lot.

I really don't understand the inconsistency of using the "more commonly known title" since that's really a matter of opinion and it's usually the Japanese title these days anyway. The only real problem is the older series but I say screw it, make the default title English or Japanese but make it consistent. Since the Japanese title always exists I say that's the preferred choice.

Then again, there's almost no turning back now since the system on MAL is so screwed up anyway. Also, IAUTX (It's all up to Xinil)
Dec 15, 2008 11:44 PM

Jun 2008
Asako said:
I'd rather titles stay (or default to) original, untranslated titles.

I can agree to this as well. The main issue I presented was that the titles are a confusing mix of English and Japanese and that they should stick to the same language. Japanese only is also cool.
List of entry names for all the Naruto-related animes:

• Naruto
  • Naruto: Dai Katsugeki!! Yuki Hime Shinobu Houjou Dattebayo!
  • Naruto - Battle at the Hidden Falls
  • Naruto - Find the Crimson Four-leaf Clover!
  • Naruto: Gekijouban Naruto Daigekitotsu! Maboroshi no Chiteiiseki Dattebayo!
  • Naruto OVA 3
  • Naruto: Gekijouban Naruto: Dai Koufun! Mikazuki Jima no Animaru Panikku Dattebayo!
  • Naruto: Dai Katsugeki!! Yuki Hime Shinobu Houjou Dattebayo! Special: Konoha Annual Sports Festival
  • Naruto Shippuuden: Gekijouban Naruto Shippuuden
  • Naruto: Shippuuden
  • Naruto: Shippuuden - Konoha Gakuen Special
  • Naruto Shippuuden: Gekijouban Naruto Shippuuden: Kizuna

Compare these titles and I think you'll see that it's not really 100% user friendly.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Dec 16, 2008 6:37 AM

Jun 2007
Well first off I agree that most anime names are gonna sound shitty when they're translated. Most people know that Naruto's sequel is Shippuuden however translated would be Naruto Hurricane Chronicles which most people don't know and would be confused seeing. However I also agree that some titles are far to long.

So I think the best bet is to make it optional or go by majority's opinion.

First idea:
1) You could add a vote system next to each name under the show/manga's banner which would allow fans to vote up on a name they like more. You should only be able to vote once. Then just display the most popular name first. This way show titles like Naruto Shippuuden would most likely stay the same since majority calls it by such in English and in Japanese.

Second:
2) Add an option so we can choose between the Japanese title, English title, or both.
This solves most problems but also brings up others. For example if you select English then you would most likely be seeing names you're not used to like Naruto Hurricane Chronicles popup which could become confusing.

So I'd go with a vote system or find a way of distinguishing popular titles that everyone knows the show by.
Dec 16, 2008 3:29 PM

Jun 2008
DeathfireD said:
Most people know that Naruto's sequel is Shippuuden however translated would be Naruto Hurricane Chronicles which most people don't know and would be confused seeing.

Yeah I know and I was thinking of it, but sadly I forgot to write it into my previous post ;) Its Japanese title is known world wide...

I'm in favor of changing all titles to Japanese and in someway also shorten the titles (at least those bugged ones).
Dec 16, 2008 3:50 PM

Oct 2006
I'm signing on for the "let people choose which language their lists display" option, as I think that'd be nice and I've occasionally wished I could swap out some of the English titles for their Romaji counterparts on my list.

But truthfully speaking it doesn't seem like any of it would be worth the work. Maybe a little cleanup on certain specific entries like the Naruto special mentioned, but going in and coding the option to choose or even just going back through all the database entries and defaulting them to one language or the other seems far too involved for such a minor, mostly aesthetic issue.
May 6, 2009 10:36 PM

Jul 2008
I was looking at the anime list settings in hope to find some way to make not the romanji names of an anime appear but the translated name for the anime appear however it does not exist.
For example: Eden of the East is seen as Higashi no Eden.
Personally, I would rather have all the titles shown as the translated title in my list. Although I understand that people would rather keep certain anime names in the romanji, I believe it would be a nice feature to allow them to choose which their personal lists would show.
May 6, 2009 11:32 PM

Oct 2007
I remember this was suggested before, but I forgot who. In any case, I support.
May 6, 2009 11:37 PM

May 2007
I don't know how the DB is structured but wouldn't it require lots of updating/editing from the database mods? For instance, English names and Japanese romaji names are used interchangeably for various anime as its primary title and alternative title. If that's the case, maybe requesting it to the database mod is the possible solution right now. But it could be lots of work trying to keep them all organized - again I don't know how the MAL DB is structured.
May 6, 2009 11:44 PM

Sep 2008
Sounds like a plan. I like consistency and having some shows on my list be the english title and others being the romaji titles is somewhat of a bother for me.
May 6, 2009 11:51 PM

Nov 2007
chibuki said:
I don't know how the DB is structured but wouldn't it require lots of updating/editing from the database mods? For instance, English names and Japanese romaji names are used interchangeably for various anime as its primary title and alternative title. If that's the case, maybe requesting it to the database mod is the possible solution right now. But it could be lots of work trying to keep them all organized - again I don't know how the MAL DB is structured.

That's the problem I think. It doesn't seem there's specific ENNAME and JPNAME or anything in the db. Some stuff just has English title with Japanese alternative titles, and vice versa. Alternative titles also contain other language titles from time to time. It's probably impossible without a restructure and a shitton of work from the db mods who already can't keep up with their workload.
May 9, 2009 7:48 AM

Aug 2006
I've been wanting something like this for as long as I can remember.
May 12, 2009 10:10 PM

Feb 2008
Asako said:
chibuki said:

That's the problem I think. It doesn't seem there's specific ENNAME and JPNAME or anything in the db. Some stuff just has English title with Japanese alternative titles, and vice versa. Alternative titles also contain other language titles from time to time. It's probably impossible without a restructure and a shitton of work from the db mods who already can't keep up with their workload.

^This unfortunately, but would support otherwise
May 15, 2009 9:39 PM
Apr 2008
Clearly some technical hurdles here, but I think this is an option that would make just about everyone happy.
May 15, 2009 9:45 PM

Nov 2007
Another issue is English names are inconsistent. Especially with renamings that occur from time to time; eg Karin -> Chibi Vampire. Also Spice and Wolf/Wolf and Spice ordering. Makes it a pain in some cases.

I would definitely support the addition of two specific English and Japanese name fields even if it takes a long time to go over the db and populate them properly. It'd be a big improvement to the site.
May 15, 2009 11:18 PM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Another issue is English names are inconsistent. Especially with renamings that occur from time to time; eg Karin -> Chibi Vampire. Also Spice and Wolf/Wolf and Spice ordering. Makes it a pain in some cases.

I would definitely support the addition of two specific English and Japanese name fields even if it takes a long time to go over the db and populate them properly. It'd be a big improvement to the site.
And not have it be just limited to English and Japanese.

Kineta said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
kasumisama said:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/8586/The_Breaker/pics

Alternative Titles
English: The Breaker
Japanese: 브레이커

It's actually in Korean. :|
I'm assuming your problem is that is says Japanese? Nothing we can do about that. People have already suggested to Xinil to change it, but Japanese is the field name at this point.
Jun 23, 2009 4:41 PM
Nov 2007
Bumping an old thread because this would be nice.

It isn't a huge setback but I have spent a few extra seconds looking for Eden of the East or A Certain Scientific Railgun (title used by the fansubbers/scanlators) when it is listed was on the list as Higashi no Eden or To Aru Kagaku whatever.

Being able to choose the synonym displayed would be nice. And it can just display the default for any pages other than your list that you're logged into.
Sep 19, 2009 1:50 AM

Jul 2007
I didn't even notice that someone had bumped this a few months ago, but I was thinking about it again earlier, and being able to select from the alternate titles for a series is still an option that I'd love to see. I obviously have no idea how the site's database is structured, but there are obviously alternate titles available for every series in the catalog, and said alternates have included the official English title (or unofficial translation, as the case may be) for every applicable case. If there would be a way to access them and let the user select which should be displayed on the list, it would be great. There are a few titles on my list (primarily the Inuyasha and One Piece movies) that I literally do not recognize at first glance and have to click on to identify, which seems to defeat the whole purpose of having a list in the first place.

In a broader sense, I'm not really sure why some of these titles are chosen as the default displays in the first place. This is an English-language website that I would assume is primarily intended for English-speakers, and I feel like it'd be more useful to use the titles that would be most recognizable to said English-speakers. As a personal example, I took some tongue-in-cheek pride in the fact that the only manga I had listed on my manga list was "My Balls"...but for some reason, the listing was just changed to the Japanese title "Oretama," which means nothing to me as a word and kind of kills the comedic effect I had going. Or like dogtato said, the title "Higashi no Eden" doesn't mean anything to me as a phrase, but "Eden of the East" immediately conveys a certain message. I know there are people out there who like the whole "street cred" angle of flinging about multiple Japanese titles, but I'd rather have the easy readability and recognition myself.
Sep 19, 2009 4:37 AM

Nov 2007
Top_Gun said:
I know there are people out there who like the whole "street cred" angle of flinging about multiple Japanese titles, but I'd rather have the easy readability and recognition myself.

I don't know about "street cred" but I recognise series by their Japanese titles, and that's how I refer to them because it's how I watch them. I have to do double takes on English release titles sometimes, because it's not actually a translation of the Japanese title (eg Karin -> Chibi Vampire) and I'm fairly sure MAL goes with US titles and naming when available (see debate over Horo vs. Holo).

I'd love to see the option to set defaults to English, or Japanese, but I don't think the db is structured for it. Xinil would need to actually make specific JPTITLE and ENTITLE (call them whatever you will) fields separate to other aliases. Which is a trivial change as far as the db goes, however the db mods would then have to go through everything to set titles, which is a lot of tedious work. Certainly worth it in the end (and I'd volunteer to do it because it is verily worth it) but given huge backlogs that already exist on the db queues, I don't think any existing db mods would want to do it.
Sep 19, 2009 4:57 AM

Feb 2008
Asako said:
Certainly worth it in the end (and I'd volunteer to do it because it is verily worth it) but given huge backlogs that already exist on the db queues, I don't think any existing db mods would want to do it.
Having a backlog shouldn't discourage improvement; I'm all up for it. It'd take a while but we'd get there.
Sep 19, 2009 6:08 AM

Nov 2007
kuroshiroi said:
It'd take a while but we'd get there.

That's what I figure. Just do it like 50-100 entries a day (by simply starting at 1: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1/ and going up). I'd be happy to chew away at a chunk a day. It'd get done in a few weeks. Especially if others were also doing it. Be very well worth it in the long run.
Sep 19, 2009 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
Asako said:
Top_Gun said:
I know there are people out there who like the whole "street cred" angle of flinging about multiple Japanese titles, but I'd rather have the easy readability and recognition myself.

I don't know about "street cred" but I recognise series by their Japanese titles, and that's how I refer to them because it's how I watch them. I have to do double takes on English release titles sometimes, because it's not actually a translation of the Japanese title (eg Karin -> Chibi Vampire) and I'm fairly sure MAL goes with US titles and naming when available (see debate over Horo vs. Holo).

I would be happy if this were the case, but it actually seems as though the opposite is true. As I mentioned above, one of the easiest examples are the four Inuyasha movies: though all four were licensed in the US and feature officially-translated titles, their MAL listings are in raw Japanese, e.g. "InuYasha: Tenka Hadou no Ken." As a result, just looking at my list, I literally can't tell which is which, even though I've seen all four. Heck, I'd even settle for "Inuyasha Movie 3," just so I could tell which one was being talked about. I do agree that shows that don't have a direct translation in English, like something along the lines of "Dennou Coil," should be left in the original Japanese, but for shows that have been released in English, or have an officially-sanctioned English title, or even have a completely-obvious translation (like "Michiko to Hatchin" to "Michiko and Hatchin"), I feel like most people would benefit from going with those titles by default. The obvious exception might be shows like "Karin," where the English title isn't really a translation of the original.

(And by "street cred," I was mainly referring to those certain individuals that seem to take personal pride in titling everything in Japanese despite the English title being far more widespread, even when said Japanese title is nothing more than a romanji version of actual English words. I didn't mean people like yourself who legitimately know some shows by the original titles they watched them under.)

Getting back to the original request, if it is something that would take an inordinate amount of database rewriting, or if it would be flat-out impossible under the current database structure, then I could just grin and bear the current setup. But if there is a chance that it could be done, even a long time down the line, I'd be a very grateful user. If it is something that could be done in people's free time, then definitely, take as much time as is needed.
Sep 19, 2009 3:10 PM

Feb 2008
Top_Gun said:
Asako said:
... I'm fairly sure MAL goes with US titles and naming when available (see debate over Horo vs. Holo).

I would be happy if this were the case, but it actually seems as though the opposite is true. As I mentioned above, one of the easiest examples are the four Inuyasha movies: though all four were licensed in the US and feature officially-translated titles, their MAL listings are in raw Japanese, e.g. "InuYasha: Tenka Hadou no Ken." As a result, just looking at my list, I literally can't tell which is which, even though I've seen all four. Heck, I'd even settle for "Inuyasha Movie 3," just so I could tell which one was being talked about.
The official policy is to use the title that's more widespread or known. Hence, we go by Spice and Wolf and not Ookami to Koushinryou and we have The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya even though the Japanese is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.
We can't know everything though, which I suspect is the reason those InuYasha movies have Japanese main titles.

Like I said, being able to choose which titles to use would be a major improvement and being the fag that I am, I'd choose Japanese over English.

Anyway, this has been suggested many times before:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=83861
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=56387
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=41806
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=18440

One of these days, Xinil is bound to implement it.
Sep 19, 2009 4:55 PM

Jul 2007
Heh, it looks like those threads were made some time after I originally made this one, though it's certainly been buried for a long time. It's good to know that other people are interested in this sort of addition, though.

Somewhat off-topic, something I noted in each of those threads (and in a few other suggestion threads) was the tendency for people--not Xinil himself, but a few mods and regular users--to respond to certain suggestions with something like, "That's a bad idea, since it'd take a lot of work to implement." I know that there are certain ideas that will never be implemented based on the massive amount of time and effort that they would require, but shouldn't a good idea be acknowledged as a good idea regardless of whether or not it'll actually happen? I think saying something like, "That would be a really cool thing to have, but unfortunately, it would take way too much work to implement, so we probably can't do it," would be better encouragement for people to keep posting new suggestions in the future.
Sep 19, 2009 9:45 PM

Nov 2007
kuroshiroi said:
One of these days, Xinil is bound to implement it.

Hopefully. I'm not sure how MAL is really configured in the back end, but it -should- be a trivial change to add a couple specific DB fields and a few functions to display them and reference them, then it's just a matter of legwork to actually fill them all in. I assume it's the legwork required that has prevented Xinil from bothering so far; so if you get some more DB mods together willing to actually do it (or volunteers like myself willing to be a temporary DB mod just to make this happen) maybe he'll be more likely to implement the probably trivial change.

He could even configure it that no JP or EN title displays if the fields are empty, so there's zero visible change until the updates are done by the mods, and also allows for titles that ARE in English to just be filled in once, and it will default to that since the JP field is empty, and vice versa for titles that have no real EN translation. Or just double up on them and waste more DB space, but I'm not a fan of such redundancy. But it would probably make things a tad easier. >.>
Sep 20, 2009 12:55 PM

Feb 2008
Well, the back end has an English field at the moment but not a romanization field. See here, http://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=anime_series&do=add
We could simply use the main field for the Japanese title and the existing English one for the English title. More ideally, we'd want a completely separate romanization field so we could still default to a more common one for the people that would prefer that. So we'd have 3 different options, Japanese, English or the most commonly known one.

Like you said, the only thing's that required would be for Xinil to code this. He should be able to code this in a jiffy.
Nov 26, 2009 12:04 AM
Dec 2007
ok let me first start off with

Tokimeki Mononoke Gakuen

i have no idea how to add an alternative title. lililicious uses

Heart-Pounding Excitement at Mononoke Girls' Academy

as the tital and thats all i know it by. when ever i have to update it i have to re search for it witch takes time, than when i realize that i dont know where it is in my manga list i have to re search it in the manga section, but nothing will pop up because Heart-Pounding Excitement at Mononoke Girls' Academy isn't in the alturnative titles

so i tried to add that so its easier to search n the future. but i have no idea how.
so first is to make that easier to do.

now in my manga list i would like to chose between any alternative title or even replace the title in my list altogether.

like if i want to replace Tokimeki Mononoke Gakuen as a title compleatly and call it "that one lesbian demon school manga" i can do that and it will effect no one else but me and clicking the manga would re direct me to the manga page
Nov 26, 2009 1:02 AM
Nov 2007
now in my manga list i would like to chose between any alternative title or even replace the title in my list altogether.

No.

so i tried to add that so its easier to search n the future. but i have no idea how.

Go here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=60876&show=1060

Anyway, I've edited it to include the synonym.
Nov 26, 2009 2:46 AM
Dec 2007
thank you, but could you tell me why being able to change the manga name in my lis is a flat out no?

i know i can ask to have things changed, but here is the way i see it.

a manga like karin, the vampire manga, was changed to chibi vampire in america. i dont remember which title that mal uses for it, as its been a while sesne i looked at it, but i would hate to see karin if in the manga list if i preferred chibi vampire, and i dont like to impose my "this title is better, on other people because i dont like what they use.

another example is the wallflower, or perfect girl evolution. the manga scanners for that one use perfect girl evolution, but mal uses a long original name for it. i dont want to impose my opinion that one name is better than others, but it would have be great if i can change the name myself for my list and my list only.

i know it wouldnt be easy to implement, but i believe it could be done.

anime doesnt realy have this problem as there is generally one name that the fans have for ever anime, but manga, some of the worse ones have 5 or so gropups can have different names for every group
Nov 26, 2009 3:11 AM
Nov 2007
In order to do that, we'd need a totally new system (or at least a major overhaul of the existing system) - something that would cater for user preferences. At the moment, there are no plans for such a system.

In regard to titles, we prefer Japanese titles over English translations (both official and not). We do add them in the synonyms to make it easier for users like yourself who prefer translated titles. Unfortunately, that's all we can do.

One thing you can do is make yourself another list - one that caters to your liking. You can post this in your profile or as a blog entry. For instance:
My manga list (in English):
The Wallflower
Chibi Karin
Nov 26, 2009 11:46 AM

May 2007
This is really similar to several suggestions that have been made in the past; essentially, people want to be able to have english titles display on their list so that they know what they are looking at. I'm going to merge all of these topics together, because they are all similar and essentially the same suggestion.

*edit*

Done; also, Xinil said this back in 2007:

Xinil said:
This has been suggested before I believe. It's planned for the future.
Nov 27, 2009 7:54 AM

Aug 2007
I'm just going to add a note here about how the db currently lists the titles.

When adding manga to the DB (not quite sure how Anime is listed...I am assuming the same) there are several entries. We have the Default title, we have the Alt Titles, the Japanese Title (which is the kanji), and the English title.

I'm assuming this 'adjustment' would take the English Title into account. Which would mean, ultimately, is that the Default title would always be the original language, and the English Title would be the equivalent.

I am also going to assume this change would mean all or none. Meaning either all the names on your list would show English, or all the titles would show original language. Though, that is just an assumption. Not sure which would be easier to code.

Nov 27, 2009 10:19 PM
Dec 2007
actually you wouldn't need to change anything on this sites side.

im talking specifically about firefox though.

just look at what some of the things you can do in firefox are capable of modding the way a site is viewed.

for a specific example look at 4chan, turn everything in the 4chan bar on and just see the big difference the way the site is viewed.

now, taking that into account, would it be impossible to make an extension that when viewing your manga page it changes titles to things you set in there?

an example

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge

the manga page would load, it would see that title and change it to

Perfect Girl Evolution

it wouldn't have to be in correct order, but with that extension, you could probably also implement a way to highlight changed names, or make the text a different color.

and if you make it so its easy to highlight a manga, it could be useful to more than just the people who want to change a name, it could highlight manga that they constantly update. making it easier to find in a long list.

dont get me wrong having an option on the server side for this, as in the page loads with everything in alphabetical order would be awesome, but a firefox extension that at the very least can change a name to something more easily recognizable would be great too.
Jan 13, 2010 5:13 PM

Dec 2008
Xinil said:

If said anime has an English title filled in, and you've chosen in your profile/list settings to 'show English titles when available', use the English title as the default anime title.

What that work? This could be turned on for your list, and for browsing around the site (list would probably be implemented first though).

This would be really great.

Hoping this isn't too off-topic, a related idea: I would love it if we could also choose which image is displayed for each entry, or perhaps have a voting system (a la the band photo system on last.fm) to allow users to vote on which images the approve or disapprove of, with the most popular one being the displayed pic. Being able to simply choose for oneself would be ideal, though.
Jan 13, 2010 5:52 PM
Dec 2007
antitype said:
Xinil said:

This would be really great.

Hoping this isn't too off-topic, a related idea: I would love it if we could also choose which image is displayed for each entry, or perhaps have a voting system (a la the band photo system on last.fm) to allow users to vote on which images the approve or disapprove of, with the most popular one being the displayed pic. Being able to simply choose for oneself would be ideal, though.

if you are talking about putting that into the anime or manga list, im assumeing that is WAY to bandwith intensive, it would be like goring from 50-100kb to over 10mb for every list load.

with firefox extensions it would be possible to have the images located localy on the hdd but you would need to build and maintain it yourself, which would be allot if not to much work.

and leting the comunity vote on what image to display? bad idea. maybe with characters, but not anime and manga images, because it needs to be what the show is about, or the manga is, without giving anything away. so for the most part, a manga cover, or what is basically a advertisement poster for a anime.
Jan 13, 2010 6:07 PM

Dec 2008
alidan said:
if you are talking about putting that into the anime or manga list, im assumeing that is WAY to bandwith intensive, it would be like goring from 50-100kb to over 10mb for every list load.

That is not at all what I was suggesting. I was only talking about choosing which image is displayed, if only for your favorites. Or selecting which one is displayed for each user, by the user, on favorites or when viewing the title's page.

Not asking for images to be displayed for every title on the anime or manga lists.
Jan 14, 2010 11:09 PM
Dec 2007
antitype said:
alidan said:

That is not at all what I was suggesting. I was only talking about choosing which image is displayed, if only for your favorites. Or selecting which one is displayed for each user, by the user, on favorites or when viewing the title's page.

Not asking for images to be displayed for every title on the anime or manga lists.

i was told that just changeing the text was to much work, what you are sugesting is even more.

but like the text, the image could be done through extentions

More topics from this board

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

3 by Euthymia_Gerv »»
5 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - 6 hours ago

0 by Euthymia_Gerv »»
6 hours ago

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Yesterday, 11:07 AM

» Custom labels.

Autonomia - Apr 8

4 by Autonomia »»
Yesterday, 8:25 AM

» Total number of episodes (all seasons)

TechniqueGod - Apr 9

3 by hacker09 »»
Apr 13, 3:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.