Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2009 9:21 AM

Nov 2007
I gotta tell ta I was really looking forward to this anime because I loved the manga and the basic idea for the main character, but the anime fell off big time. The ending? It was freakin terrible in every aspect. In fact im not really even gonna call that an ending. There was no resolution to either of the main characters and I dont even know if im gonin to watch a second season if they have one later on.
Oct 17, 2009 4:06 AM

Aug 2009
Now I see why people didn't like it much - it ends before the best stuff in the series even begins. A great deal of the character development kicks in later on as well so no wonder. Besides the anime version seriously lacks that unique visual style the manga is famous for - when you look at the animation it's no more than average or mediocre which pretty much can be said about the music and voice acting as well. Meh, the series deserves a better adaptation than this.

6/10 - just because it's Blade of the Immortal.
Dec 3, 2009 4:53 PM

Feb 2009
Lol it felt like it just started and ended lol... 5/10
Dec 22, 2009 2:13 PM

Jun 2008
watched the first half of the anime and then skipped to the last episode.

Spaidy_ said:
Lol it felt like it just started and ended lol... 5/10

this is exactly how i felt after finishing the last episode.
Apr 24, 2011 9:52 PM

Aug 2008
i liked show but it left me same as you wut it ended but just started? sigh shame, but they made it i will check manga.
Aug 5, 2011 7:01 PM

Jun 2007
Not sure what's with the hate?

In episode one, Manji's sister gets slashed, instead of cut into three pieces, for censorship reasons (...which made no sense when limbs are removed, later). And in episode three, Manji gets slashed instead of being cut in half (...).

There were also some BAD music choices in the first half of the series (there weren't many/any in the last half), too. Another issue worth noting is that the fight with Kuroi was ruined by lifeless filler designed to make it fit. But there aren't any other flaws of note, aside from it ending in a 'GO READ THE MANGA!' kind of way. In fact, it followed the manga so faithfully that, when reading it after the anime got me interested, I felt like I was re-reading it.

Before I'd read the manga, I thought the anime was in the 7-8/10 range. I lowered my rating to 7/10 because of the ending. However, after reading the manga, seeing how the anime NAILED most of the content, starting with Makie's introduction arc, made me raise my rating to 8/10. Ignoring Samura's sketchy, pencil shaded style, the characters looked as attractive as they do in the manga; the animators doing a wonderful job of copying. And, as an adaptation, it didn't miss a beat after some early scares.

The issues people have with the action lie with Samura: his action not being easy to follow and often stopping for chit-chat. It looks good when frozen and with the odd double-page finishing move spreads but doesn't last as long, or have the same feel, away from the pages it was created on. I wasn't fussed because BotI is more of a character-driven drama where the fights are exciting because of what's at stake, rather than it being thrilling purely because of the fights. (And Makie's fight was good, anyhow.)

It's deserving of a higher average than 7/10; the limit for 'good' titles, by MAL's standards. Even the music, which is often bashed, isn't bad--there are many good tracks included. It's just, some tracks don't fit and the selection was off.
May 6, 2012 8:04 PM

Apr 2010
MUST HAVE SECOND SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Do not consider yourself deprived because your dreams were not fulfilled; the truly deprived have never dreams."
-Marie von Ebner
May 8, 2012 12:11 AM

Dec 2010
This show deserves the 7/10 rating. For something with so much potential, ending a series half way through is pathetic. 1/5 for the final ep.
Jul 26, 2012 10:58 PM

Nov 2011
Dinner will be ready?

Well, not exactly the best ending but w/e. Not bad and enjoyed this series.
Sep 16, 2012 2:14 PM

Aug 2011
Damn! The real plot is yet to be shown.
Nov 3, 2012 7:12 AM
Sep 2012
Well I just started watching this anime this week and was really enjoying it. Somewhere I saw some review that said the characters were badly drawn the production was cheap and the whole thing was a pile of rubbish. I was wondering if I was wondering if I was watching the same manga as in the review.

I personally felt that the it was well drawn and enjoyed the look and feel over some other anime. I thought the plot was okay and some points of the movie made me laugh.

I was sunned when I watched episode 13..I could not believe I had just watched the last of the series. I was like wtf...loads of folk were all saying goodbye n stuff and was a little confused as I though well it really is not ending there......but it does :( and there is no second season.

For my liking it ended far to abruptly but i realize it was meant to go on and i know there is a manga too. So looks like i'll have to start reading the manga as I was just getting comfy watching the plot unfold.
Feb 11, 2014 1:07 PM

Sep 2013
I can't believe they freaking ended it right there. i really liked this show for its setting and dark themes though with interesting characters. Time to go buy and read the manga version.
Mar 23, 2014 11:02 AM

Oct 2013
Well it started to grow on me and it's a real shame that was the last episode. I started to really appreciate the characters, art and combat throughout the series. 7/10 despite its flaws.
Apr 2, 2015 6:50 AM

Dec 2013
Anyone who has read the manga should have known right away that there was no way the plot would be resolved within 13 episodes.
Personally, i prefer this 'go read the manga'-ending over what would have most likely been a very shitty 'anime original'-ending. At least this way it's pretty easy to switch over.

As a big fan of the manga i am mostly pleased with the anime. It has it's faults, the biggest one being that the meat of the series only starts after where the anime stops, but it's hardly the studio's fault that no one in the anime industry nowadays has any interest in financing or buying adaptions of long seinen series.
Mar 15, 2017 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
For a go read the manga ending, it was a pretty meh show all around apart from the start, which was actually interesting. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either and I'm certainly in no rush or care to read the manga. I'd give it 6.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 15, 2017 5:15 PM

Mar 2012
the episode was horrible.
come on, it was that thing of "okay, this is the last one, let's say goodbye and stop the story here." idk if they intended to make a second season or not, and it was obvious that the whole manga wouldn't fit in thirteen episodes but this ended not being a standalone piece.
we are left with no ending at all. really good characters were left out and good parts of the story too.
why did they introduce hyakurin so early in the anime if they were not gonna use her for anything? and anotsu. he was supposed to be the main enemy on this first part and we only see him once or twice through the entire anime.
i liked the animation, the art and even the music. after i got used to it, the anime had this dark mood that fitted well with the series, but the writing and directing... it was a miss, sadly.
Apr 7, 2018 12:05 PM

May 2013
I could go on and on about what's wrong with series, it was pretty boring.

Mar 17, 2019 5:18 PM

Oct 2015
I'm glad its done and I completed it, I won't ever watch it again. Such a stupid series.

It started off great but I started to resent it as it went along, from the time he murdered that boy's father but let go of Kagehisa's girl. It became worse when she started to be doubtful about the revenge. I didn't like Manji or the girl, in fact everyone in the series pissed me off.

3/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 23, 2020 7:20 PM
May 2019
This entire series was pretty bad. Mostly due to its pacing, but there were also moments that made it impossible for me to take the show seriously.
Apr 11, 2020 8:42 PM
Mar 2014
This is one of the best anime in the season.
It brought back the real art of anime, stuff you don't see in newer anime.
This is how anime should be like.
and the story is deep, it is a proper novel, not your regular manga type anime.

The pacing is fine, they go back and forth between the past and present, a lot of movies and animes does the same thing.
Oct 29, 2022 7:43 PM

Mar 2010
Well... Nothing happened the last episode lol.
Jan 9, 2023 1:22 AM
Jan 2022
Blade of the Immortal it has two parts original and remake in my opinion you should watch the remake because of animation and the story
Jan 9, 2023 1:22 AM
Jan 2022
Blade of the Immortal it has two parts original and remake in my opinion you should watch the remake because of animation and the story

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 12 Discussion

cyruz - Feb 11, 2009

12 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 11 Discussion

cyruz - Feb 2, 2009

17 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 10:36 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 10 Discussion

Jacut - Jan 28, 2009

14 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 10:11 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 4, 2008

19 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 7:27 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 8 Discussion

noteDhero - Dec 8, 2008

14 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.