Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Mar 27, 2009 9:16 PM

Sep 2007
Spotlight Character: Lina Inverse (Slayers)

MAL Character Information Page: Lina Inverse

MAL Favorites: 468

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with Character Name discuss what they think makes (him/her) an exceptional character. What attributes make (him/her) stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE 'YOU DECIDE' POLL:

Lina Inverse was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
17 Yes - 68.0%
8 No - 32.0%

83 Don't Know - 76.9% of the total number polled
santetjanApr 6, 2009 12:37 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 28, 2009 1:42 AM

Mar 2008
Let me just say, she is the best done tsundere EVAR. And that's saying something, seeing just how much behind any other character of that type is behind her. She doesn't tsun much, but when she does it's both hillarious and character- type asserting, she's not often dere, but when she is it only furthers chemistry between characters, she's has a what, 20/30 year streak of being written outstandingly as a tsundere, one that has a believable, entertaining personality no less, and to top it all off, her mere presenceis entertaining, unlike any other tsundere, who make me want to strangle them.

She is not often (I don't know if I should say rarely) a bitch, and even though I really hated her for those moments where she acts like one (as evidenced by my e-mail adress), now we have Haruhi Suzumiya, and I have no choice but to appreciate Lina's (as it turned out) outstanding characterization. You really believe that this girl is capable, and that she has wants and needs even when she's offscreen.
(This is something other people that write tsuderes have yet to figure out.)

Hell, Slayers is the best possible story for Lina, as it's the only one that could ever deliver a backstory for a tsundere that doesn't insult the viewer/make the viewer burst out laughing.

That she is an iconic character doesn't even need mentioning at this point.

8/10(I will never give a higher rating to a tsundere), and a definitive yes.
DozerMar 31, 2009 6:42 AM
Apr 3, 2009 7:17 AM

Feb 2008
She is rather arrogant, than Tsundere :/

Apr 3, 2009 9:55 AM

Sep 2007
Lina rocks. At least, from the first 8 episodes of Slayers, she does. I love the fact that she can take an insult without exploding into rage, but she isn't a saint of patience (aka as doormat) either. Also, her voice actor does an amazing job. I almost burst out laughing the first time I heard her voice - not out of revulsion, but because her voice was just so goddamn hilarious.

I'm hesitant about voting after only seeing a little bit of the first season of Slayers, but I'm going to vote yes. Lina almost singlehandedly makes Slayers.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.