Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2014 1:54 PM

Apr 2012
Top 20 Shounen Jump All Time (2013): http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/26/the-best-of-the-best-of-manga-shonen-jumps-20-best-sellers-of-all-time/

Top 50 Best-selling Manga (2010): http://mangable.com/forums/general-manga/639-top-50-best-selling-manga-of-all-time.html

Top 10 Shounen Jump (graph; Oct 2012): http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-23/top-10-shonen-jump-manga-by-all-time-volume-sales

One Piece stays strong at #1. Expectedly, other popular series like Naruto, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, Slam Dunk, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure also sell amazingly well. There are several titles that I have never even heard of though...

Share your thoughts on this, and share relevant news/links too.

Also I can't seem to find an English report about All time accumulated anime sales rank. Hmmm.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 28, 2014 1:59 PM

Nov 2010
It's better to use this for the top selling manga of all time. It looks like it's more recently updated than all of those. And that last link is only their sales in Japan.
Jan 28, 2014 2:00 PM

Aug 2011
One Piece sucks.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Jan 28, 2014 2:07 PM

Nov 2010
-Zeaos said:
One Piece sucks.
Kinda hard to believe you when you've watched over 500 episodes and have it rated a 7(which is good).
Jan 29, 2014 4:43 AM

Jan 2014
-Zeaos said:
One Piece sucks.

not the best, but not the worst either :p
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Jan 29, 2014 5:37 AM

Feb 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
It's better to use this for the top selling manga of all time. It looks like it's more recently updated than all of those. And that last link is only their sales in Japan.

Didn't know Golgo 13 sold THAT well. Same goes for Slam Dunk. Good for them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 29, 2014 5:41 AM

Feb 2013
Nothing wrong there, One Piece deserves the first place.
Jan 29, 2014 5:46 AM
Mar 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
IntroverTurtle said:

yep not so shocking for Giolgo if you conser the aount of anime its had as adveritsement ofr that manga
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 29, 2014 6:39 AM

Mar 2008
NoSurrender1690 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
IntroverTurtle said:

yep not so shocking for Giolgo if you conser the aount of anime its had as adveritsement ofr that manga

Does anyone even care about its anime in Japan? They're pretty much unheard of 'round these parts.
Jan 29, 2014 6:47 AM

Feb 2010
NoSurrender1690 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
IntroverTurtle said:

There are a lot of anime that get more seasons/movies/episodes and don't sell nearly as much.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 29, 2014 6:59 AM

Mar 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

There are a lot of anime that get more seasons/movies/episodes and don't sell nearly as much.

I suppose the flip-side is, how many non-gag seinen manga get a new adaptation every 10 years, 3 times consecutively? Hell, these days, isn't it only series with large target audiences that get 50 eps adaptations? I guess that says something.
Jan 29, 2014 7:47 AM

Jul 2012
HunterXHunter at 22nd.Now, if only it were to come out of its hiatus...
MangaList | AnimeList
"I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's just a chore, like any other." -Joshua Graham
Jan 29, 2014 8:41 AM

Nov 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Yeah, I'm surprised about Golgo too. It looks like they just changed it, I thought it was behind Kochikame.

And also something else that's surprising. There's a lot of sports anime near the top.
Jan 29, 2014 5:43 PM
Mar 2011
Ckan said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I suppose the flip-side is, how many non-gag seinen manga get a new adaptation every 10 years, 3 times consecutively? Hell, these days, isn't it only series with large target audiences that get 50 eps adaptations? I guess that says something.

Even the siima Kosaku anime git the shaft as is that could have got 100 episdes easy full lentgh ones too [ it one of my Faves and has been since befofre i should have been readinf sainen]
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Yeah, I'm surprised about Golgo too. It looks like they just changed it, I thought it was behind Kochikame.

And also something else that's surprising. There's a lot of sports anime near the top.

Why in the 70's and 80's sports manga were big deal and in the late 90's thay had a tiny resurge
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 29, 2014 8:41 PM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
IntroverTurtle said:

shit. you are right.

痛就是爱
Jan 30, 2014 5:14 PM

Jan 2013
one thing i would like to know,who is the richest Oda-sensei or Toryama-sensei.
Jan 30, 2014 5:15 PM

Nov 2010
riqueterremoto said:
Oda definitely. His manga's made the most money, I think One Piece might be in more ads, and the movies break records.
Jan 31, 2014 1:20 AM

Jan 2014
One piece at first place
That makes a lot of sense both the manga and Oda sensei deserve it, cos yhu don't get to be the best without good reason, and also bein called DBZ true successor
I also read that Oda works 20 hour days working on One Piece *he only sleeps 3 hours* now that's dedication I'm jus sain'
Don't you wanna hang out and waste your life with us?
-Spike Spiegel-
Jan 31, 2014 1:32 AM

Oct 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
-Zeaos said:
One Piece sucks.
Kinda hard to believe you when you've watched over 500 episodes and have it rated a 7(which is good).

There's the possibility that he didn't really watched all of it.
Jan 31, 2014 6:01 AM

Aug 2013
One Piece number one, no surprise there.
Jan 31, 2014 6:40 AM

May 2013
Mashima worked so hard but his manga's sales was still nowhere near Togashi's. I felt bad for him.
Jan 31, 2014 8:15 AM

Apr 2012
FlameWingman21 said:
Mashima worked so hard but his manga's sales was still nowhere near Togashi's. I felt bad for him.
I do think that Rave Master (Not Fairy Tail as it is right now) deserves more recognition. However, most mangaka works very hard and don't get recognition, so...

痛就是爱
Jan 31, 2014 4:05 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:
Oda definitely. His manga's made the most money, I think One Piece might be in more ads, and the movies break records.

But Dragon Ball franchise is huge,the games sell worldwide,the anime was released in almost all countries.I know that in Japan One Piece is first place for sure,but 4kids fucked the impact of One Piece in the rest of the world.

One piece last movie was the one that most sold in Japan.But the last movie of DBZ sold more worldwide.
Jan 31, 2014 4:16 PM

Nov 2010
riqueterremoto said:
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:

But Dragon Ball franchise is huge,the games sell worldwide,the anime was released in almost all countries.I know that in Japan One Piece is first place for sure,but 4kids fucked the impact of One Piece in the rest of the world.

One piece last movie was the one that most sold in Japan.But the last movie of DBZ sold more worldwide.
Yes DBZ has the games, I did forget that. But from what I've heard One Piece's games are pretty popular in Japan. And even then, idk how much money overseas tv ratings bring them, probably not a lot. It fucked the impact up for America, but it's still popular elsewhere and even now the Funimation dub is doing fine in America. I think manga sales and dvd sales would go to the mangaka the most. And One Piece has sold over 120 million more volumes than DBZ. Also as One Piece is the most popular in Japan at this moment, there are a lot of ads with the One Piece characters, even One Piece stores(which DBZ probably has) and One Piece monuments or attractions(which I haven't heard of about DBZ yet).

Where did you hear about that? And sold as in in disc sales or in the movie theater?
Feb 1, 2014 12:41 AM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:

Yes DBZ has the games, I did forget that. But from what I've heard One Piece's games are pretty popular in Japan. And even then, idk how much money overseas tv ratings bring them, probably not a lot. It fucked the impact up for America, but it's still popular elsewhere and even now the Funimation dub is doing fine in America. I think manga sales and dvd sales would go to the mangaka the most. And One Piece has sold over 120 million more volumes than DBZ. Also as One Piece is the most popular in Japan at this moment, there are a lot of ads with the One Piece characters, even One Piece stores(which DBZ probably has) and One Piece monuments or attractions(which I haven't heard of about DBZ yet).

Where did you hear about that? And sold as in in disc sales or in the movie theater?

Uh my bad i just tought DBZ movie sold more because was released in so many countries(but the number of countries was lower than i tought).The Japanese sales of One Piece alone really surpassed DBZ worldwide.Sorry

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/intl/?
page=&id=_fDRAGONBALLZ02&sort=country&order=ASC&p=.htm

As for One Piece Sale:US$ 77,822,122
Feb 1, 2014 12:52 AM

Dec 2012
I dunno. One Piece having the best manga sales in Japan always seemed like a bad joke to me, ever since I found out about it. I wonder if it's sales would have changed if it wasn't serialized after DB. Luck, luck.

As for anime, here. I saw the same ranking in a Japanese website so this ranking seems legit, I don't know if it's updated or not. So NGE had the best sales after The golden egg (?), followed by Bakemonogatari.
tsudecimoFeb 1, 2014 12:56 AM
Feb 1, 2014 1:06 AM

Aug 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:

You're comparing Japan to Worldwide? and OP games are not that good.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Feb 1, 2014 1:11 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo,how about a little less hate? You didn't even readed One Piece.I don't like Naruto but i don't act like a hater of Naruto in every fucking Tread that it's mentioned.
Feb 1, 2014 1:27 AM

May 2013
tsudecimo said:
I dunno. One Piece having the best manga sales in Japan always seemed like a bad joke to me, ever since I found out about it. I wonder if it's sales would have changed if it wasn't serialized after DB. Luck, luck.
What do you mean by luck? Both One Piece and Naruto were serialized after Dragon Ball ended. Both were influenced by Dragon Ball. Both were in the same magazine. Both had the same genre. Both aimed at the same demographic. Both were longer than Dragon Ball. But one had 100 millions sales more than Dragon Ball's and the other had 100 millions sales less than Dragon Ball's. Mind explaining why One Piece was lucky and Naruto was unlucky?
Feb 1, 2014 1:35 AM

Mar 2008
^not that I agree with his argument, but I think he meant One Piece was lucky not to have been serialised at the same time as Dragon Ball.
Feb 1, 2014 5:07 AM

Jan 2013
Ckan said:
^not that I agree with his argument, but I think he meant One Piece was lucky not to have been serialised at the same time as Dragon Ball.

The fact that it wasn't serialised at the same time isn't lucky.The time Dragon Ball was being serialised was the Gold Age of Mangas.The Mangas that time sold more,the manga merchant droped at 45% after Gold Age ended,weekly Shounen Jump droped by almost half.In Fact if One Piece and others mangas were published that time they would have sold even more(probably).
Feb 1, 2014 7:24 AM

Dec 2012
riqueterremoto said:
tsudecimo,how about a little less hate? You didn't even readed One Piece.I don't like Naruto but i don't act like a hater of Naruto in every fucking Tread that it's mentioned.

I watched the anime? .-.

FlameWingman21 said:
What do you mean by luck? Both One Piece and Naruto were serialized after Dragon Ball ended. Both were influenced by Dragon Ball. Both were in the same magazine. Both had the same genre. Both aimed at the same demographic. Both were longer than Dragon Ball. But one had 100 millions sales more than Dragon Ball's and the other had 100 millions sales less than Dragon Ball's. Mind explaining why One Piece was lucky and Naruto was unlucky?

When DB ended it left a huge gap in Shounen Jump since it was their biggest hit. So obviously fans would want something to fill that gap and capture them with it's charm like DB did. one piece was able to fill that gap.

My point is that the fact that one piece was serialized after DB is very significant and relevant to it's huge success. I think Naruto would have had one piece's success if it was serialized before it and after DB (not to forget having an anime after 2 years instead of 4 would have immensely helped). But those are just ''what if'' scenarios and theories, nothing worth going into a heated argument for and they can't really be backed up with substantial evidence.

I don't think you can call Naruto unlucky. Kishimoto was going to give up if Naruto didn't become a hit, it was his last try to get a seralized manga, so Naruto's success also has it's fair share of luck.
Feb 1, 2014 7:28 AM

Jan 2013
the never ending battle of one piece and naruto fans lol .

one piece is in the right place , but i like naruto better .
Feb 1, 2014 7:32 AM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:

Good joke . Do you even know that DB (not DBZ) sold worldwide , let alone DBZ . Its games sold worldwide too . and you still think oda ? Nah ... One piece is only popular in japan .
Feb 1, 2014 7:50 AM

Jun 2011
One Piece wouldn't even exist without DBZ, what's with these talk about what if One Piece was serializing beside DBZ? -.-

-Klad- said:
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:

Good joke . Do you even know that DB (not DBZ) sold worldwide , let alone DBZ . Its games sold worldwide too . and you still think oda ? Nah ... One piece is only popular in japan .

Well you seem confident. I am not denying it, but it would be much better if you post a link along too with your statement.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 1, 2014 8:48 AM

Nov 2010
riqueterremoto said:
Uh my bad i just tought DBZ movie sold more because was released in so many countries(but the number of countries was lower than i tought).The Japanese sales of One Piece alone really surpassed DBZ worldwide.Sorry

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/intl/?
page=&id=_fDRAGONBALLZ02&sort=country&order=ASC&p=.htm

As for One Piece Sale:US$ 77,822,122
Well I never said the anime didn't sell more I just said that's probably unlikely and we don't really have the stats. I don't think most fans of DBZ bought it as it's a long series and most of them are kids, they just watched it on tv. And then I don't know how much money Japan and then the mangakas make off of the tv ratings.

It's surpassed it in manga sales.

I can't see anything about One Piece there. You said the last Dragonball movie sold more worldwide than the One Piece movie, I can't see that on that site.

-Zeaos said:
You're comparing Japan to Worldwide? and OP games are not that good.
I don't even know exactly what you're talking about. But yes Japan does buy more anime and manga related goods than the rest of the world combined. It is their product made for themselves. Good =/= sell well

-Klad- said:
IntroverTurtle said:
riqueterremoto said:

That DB sold more worldwide with it's manga? Because One Piece has sold like 50 million more copies just in Japan than DB has sold worldwide. If you're talking about anime or games, we don't have stats on that. But from what I hear One Piece's games are very popular in Japan so I wouldn't count it fully out even though they're probably less popular elsewhere. And how many ads are Dragonball characters in? And One Piece's anime has been airing longer and staying in the upper half of the ratings.
Feb 1, 2014 8:56 AM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
That DB sold more worldwide with it's manga? Because One Piece has sold like 50 million more copies just in Japan than DB has sold worldwide. If you're talking about anime or games, we don't have stats on that. But from what I hear One Piece's games are very popular in Japan so I wouldn't count it fully out even though they're probably less popular elsewhere. And how many ads are Dragonball characters in? And One Piece's anime has been airing longer and staying in the upper half of the ratings.

No I mean that even DB was a success , let alone DBZ . Yeah , One Piece is only popular and probably the most popular manga on Japan only , but DBZ sold more worldwide . Worldwide sales > japan sales . By the way , DBZ is classic man , I don't know anyone who hasn't watched DBZ .
Feb 1, 2014 9:02 AM

Nov 2010
-Klad- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

No I mean that even DB was a success , let alone DBZ . Yeah , One Piece is only popular and probably the most popular manga on Japan only , but DBZ sold more worldwide . Worldwide sales > japan sales . By the way , DBZ is classic man , I don't know anyone who hasn't watched DBZ .
And One Piece has more episodes than DB and DBZ combined, and their manga is the same thing like Naruto.

"One Piece is only popular and probably the most popular manga on Japan only , but DBZ sold more worldwide . Worldwide sales > japan sales "

What has sold more worldwide? Manga, anime, or games? Do you have any proof? (Keep in mind I've already told you One Piece's manga has sold more worldwide and this thread is about manga)

BTW saying DBZ is classic and everyone you know(which is about 0.00000000000001% of the world's population) has heard of it is not proof.
Feb 1, 2014 9:19 AM

Jan 2014
-Klad- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

You sure are naive. Japanese sales dwarves international sales, that's an obvious fact.

Btw I haven't found reliable source about richest mangaka income, there's one here but I doubt the source. Then I got that Toriyama's net worth and Oda's annual income per 2010. Just do some simpe math here and we can estimate who is the richest.

I might be an OP fan but I speak the truth and stats :/
Feb 1, 2014 9:21 AM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
-Klad- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

And One Piece has more episodes than DB and DBZ combined, and their manga is the same thing like Naruto.

"One Piece is only popular and probably the most popular manga on Japan only , but DBZ sold more worldwide . Worldwide sales > japan sales "

What has sold more worldwide? Manga, anime, or games? Do you have any proof? (Keep in mind I've already told you One Piece's manga has sold more worldwide and this thread is about manga)

BTW saying DBZ is classic and everyone you know(which is about 0.00000000000001% of the world's population) has heard of it is not proof.

And what do episodes show ?

Nope , One Piece is not that great in worldwide , only in Japan .

Ok then , go and ask the whole internet if they know the name "Goku" .
Feb 1, 2014 9:30 AM

Jun 2011
-Klad- said:

Doesn't change the fact that One Piece sold more in Japan and outside Japan combined compare to DBZ, also in Japan and outside of Japan.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 1, 2014 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
-Klad- said:

I'm going to take it as your trolling since you didn't answer any of my questions and will ignore you from now on in this thread(at least). Just asking me to ask people if they know who Goku is, typical blind DB supporter.
Feb 1, 2014 9:40 AM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
-Klad- said:

I'm going to take it as your trolling since you didn't answer any of my questions and will ignore you from now on in this thread(at least). Just asking me to ask people if they know who Goku is, typical blind DB supporter.

lol alright then .

DB supporter ? lol DB is not even in my favs .
Feb 1, 2014 9:41 AM
Mar 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
-Klad- said:

lol indeed hes does not know Goku is older than DB you could as litriture people who goku is ie people who dont care that DB is and thy will nkow they will know the name so saying people people will know goku is a stupid agument [ in the most popluls nation in the world [ as who Wukong/Goku is than they will know not form anime ]

Feb 1, 2014 9:44 AM

Nov 2010
NoSurrender1690 said:
lol indeed hes does not know Goku is older than DB you could as litriture people who goku is ie people who dont care that DB is and thy will nkow they will know the name so saying people people will know goku is a stupid agument [ in the most popluls nation in the world [ as who Wukong/Goku is than they will know not form anime ]
Well I think that is mostly irrelevant as he's talking about the character in DB. Obviously he would ask about the character in the manga not just Goku in general. Since this is a thread about manga and we'd been talking about DB, I don't think he needed to specify.

But he is someone who thinks that in order to be a supporter of an anime you have to have it in your favorites.
Feb 1, 2014 9:48 AM
Mar 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
Well I think that is mostly irrelevant as he's talking about the character in DB. Obviously he would ask about the character in the manga not just Goku in general. Since this is a thread about manga and we'd been talking about DB, I don't think he needed to specify.

But he is someone who thinks that in order to be a supporter of an anime you have to have it in your favorites.

he just said say the nsme goku [ wukong thast how the hanji is still read] so it is relevent

Feb 1, 2014 10:54 AM

Dec 2012
He just means that one piece is less and popular and successful than DB outside of Japan. Which is a fact.

This argument is just built on misunderstandings..
Feb 1, 2014 10:58 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
He just means that one piece is less and popular and successful than DB outside of Japan. Which is a fact.

This guy is the only one who understands it . congrat .
Feb 1, 2014 11:00 AM
Mar 2011
tsudecimo said:

one piece sales in Japan alone have osld more than DB outisde of Japan so yes

Feb 1, 2014 11:05 AM

Dec 2012
NoSurrender1690 said:

one piece sales in Japan alone have osld more than DB outisde of Japan so yes

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
7 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.