Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2009 11:20 AM
Jan 2009
just got through watching hows moving castle for the sixth time and its still great.
Mar 25, 2009 12:47 PM

Jan 2009
I like howls moving castle too :D I watched it 2 times.
1 time in english dub, but I don' t think it's very good.
Mar 25, 2009 1:18 PM

Feb 2009
I've been wanting to watch it! I downloaded it a few days ago
Mar 25, 2009 1:38 PM

Jul 2008
EuphoricField said:

Absolutely worth the watch, like most Studio Ghibli products(or so I hear). I've actually been meaning to watch it again and a few others more recently. Anyone have opinions on what I should do next? So far I've only down Howl's and Spirited :s

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Mar 25, 2009 1:46 PM

Feb 2009
Bakayaro said:
EuphoricField said:

Absolutely worth the watch, like most Studio Ghibli products(or so I hear). I've actually been meaning to watch it again and a few others more recently. Anyone have opinions on what I should do next? So far I've only down Howl's and Spirited :s

I'd say Grave of the fireflies or My neighbor Totoro.
Mar 25, 2009 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
Bakayaro said:
EuphoricField said:

I would say Porco Rosso or my Neighbor Totoro

And yes Howls Moving Castle is amazingly done. It's different from the book its based on in some aspects, but really well done. I enjoy the English cast more than the Japanese, it was just so well done. I hope his next one Ponyo on A Cliff (i think it's called that) is just as wonderful as the rest.
Mar 25, 2009 2:32 PM
Jan 2009
I need to rewatch it. I watched it a few years ago in a cinema, which is very unusual for me, and it was dubbed with German voices. The voice actors weren't >that< bad at all, but one of the main characters - the girl, I forgot her name - had a rather odd voice, making it somewhat a pain listening to her.

Bakayaro said:
EuphoricField said:

Princess Mononoke - the first Ghibli anime I did watch, and it's still my favorite. I also really like "My Neighbors the Yamadas", but it has a rather unusual animation style/design and isn't "epic" in any straight terms just like some of the other well known Ghibli movies.
Mar 25, 2009 2:40 PM

Jun 2008
I use to watch it everytime it aired on Cartoon Network. I had it recorded, and watched it frequently. That and Spirited Away, before I knew exactly what anime was I would rent all of their films and fall asleep to them.

<3~
Mar 25, 2009 2:41 PM

Oct 2007
Definitely my favorite from Studio Ghibli<3
Mar 26, 2009 3:42 AM

Jan 2009
I like my neigbor totoro very much. it's so cute ^^
I like almost all the studio ghibli movies. I haven't seen all of them yet...
Mar 26, 2009 5:24 AM

Jan 2009
I love Howl's Moving Castle, saw it the 1st time in a theatre dubbed. I've always loved Howl's dub, I thought Billy Crystal did a marvelous job voicing Calcifer. Made me love the movie all the more I suppose.

Other good Miyazaki films to check out are Kiki's Delivery Service & Nausicaa Valley of the Wind. Those 2 are my favorites outside of Howl.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...
Jul 13, 2009 3:37 AM

Mar 2009
i really liked this movie its gota ton of original characters which are all very awesome.
mostly calcifer, marco and sophie. they just fit together so well and the english voice actors fill the roles perfectly.
i would like to watch it again but its way too long, i watch a few scenes every once and a wile, for example when sophie is testing out the door. she has the funniest look on her face when she teleports to the diffrent towns
Jul 21, 2009 11:36 PM

Jan 2009
Love it
Its the best movie ever
Sep 3, 2009 7:39 PM

Mar 2009
I think Miyazaki is much better of sticking to original storylines rather than adapting other works. I've watched it twice: one before reading the book, and once after. It definitely was better after reading the book, but I still think the book is better. I don't even really have any major complaints about the movie - it just isn't that amazing, especially compared to works like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Castle in the Sky.

I don't really like that Miyazaki changed the story to make it about Howl being a pacifist. Granted, there are far worse philosophical stances to take, I just don't like it when people making an adaptation piggyback off another's work for their own message.
Sep 13, 2009 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
I remembered one of my friends asked me if I wanted to accompany him to the theaters to watch this show back in 2004. I declined back then. Now, after months of delaying and procrastinating, I finally watched this show.

I have got to say that this is one of the most overrated shows on this site. I found the beginning part nice; love the backgrounds and animation, but as the story progressed further and further, especially in the 2nd half of the show, I was wondering what the heck I was watching. Lots of disparate and random plot elements seemed thrown in together in one melting pot.

This has to be one of the most incoherent story lines I've ever seen. Later on in the show, the plot seemed to jump from one scene to the next just like that. And in the end, the show just throws together a neat ending, just for the sake of wrapping everything up. And then showing how things end up "happily ever after".

In my opinion, at least Spirited Away stuck to the original basic storyline instead of trying to cram so many different plot elements into one jumbled mess. The story in Spirited Away was more smooth flowing too.

God... I've definitely got to be more careful of the shows I choose to put on my plan to watch list. Despite all the strong visuals, graphics and lovely backgrounds, this show was not worth all the hype and high ratings on this site.
Oct 7, 2009 5:34 AM

Sep 2009
My favourite Ghibli film. :)
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 22, 2009 2:05 AM
Jun 2009
Hate to break it to you guys but the movie is just average at best
Oct 28, 2009 9:57 PM

Jul 2008
I had heard this movie was going to be a bit crazy; so I watched it expecting a weird, fantastic story. To be honest, it met my expectations, but didn't exceed them. The plot is what did it to me. I didn't find the story satisfactory. However, the characters and the art I loved. This movie has some great tender moments and funny scenes. ("What a pretty fire!") Tonight I'm probably going to imagine what the story would have been like with a better plot. I'm going to try and read the book sometime, too.
May 12, 2016 7:05 AM

Jun 2015
TOTALLY!!! it's my 5th times to re-watch. The character, the art, the more I re-watch the more I understand (well, the book helps too).
Really likes the ending, the prince's true love is another's true love #trueloveception
and he won't give up lololol.

Ah, Joe Hisaishi is truly a genius, the music in this film is perfectly fit with the scene.
Mar 8, 2018 11:38 AM
Nov 2016
I came to a finding today that hatters (people that make hats) usually end up going mad due to the use of mercury in hat making. This is where we get the saying 'as mad as a hatter'.
Sophie, the main character character was a hat maker, so maybe instead of her experiencing being cursed and a world full of magic, she was actually slowly going insane due to being constantly exposed to mercury.
As we know in the film girl in the area said that she was always working in the shop and never went out much before the story starts.
Delia106Mar 10, 2018 3:55 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Howl no Ugoku Shiro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Cele - Dec 3, 2009

164 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 22, 11:00 PM

» Can someone explain why Sophie felt the need to destroy Howl's Castle?

Golden_Cheese - May 29, 2023

10 by voltaxx123 »»
Jan 22, 11:21 AM

» How was Sophie able to venture into Howl's past? Why did that black door appear?

Golden_Cheese - May 30, 2023

5 by namazuFish »»
Jun 3, 2023 1:29 AM

» Im so confused

_txhsin__ - Apr 3, 2023

5 by Dazaihah »»
Apr 5, 2023 6:03 AM

» Is it because of the animation?

Bogenvilia - Jan 12, 2022

31 by Asudox »»
Oct 7, 2022 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.