Forum Settings
Forums

Director Yamamoto Yutaka Is Pessimistic about the Future of Anime

New
Mar 25, 2009 6:16 AM

Feb 2008
Yamamoto Yutaka (the director of "Kannagi") gave an interview of Kaiyu magazine. Yamamoto said anime producers are running out of the novels and manga for anime adaptations taking "Toradora!" and "To Aru Majutsu no Index" for examples.
Director Yamamoto said:

The anime of "Toradora" and "To Aru Majutsu no Index" were the final measure for the people in the light novel industry. There is no popular title left behind the two. But neither of them made a great success. Even Kannagi had been more popular than Toradora! for some while. I know it's impolite to say this but the original light novels are not attractive anymore judging the fact that those titles couldn't meet the expectations. We must regret that we had recklessly animated novels and manga one after another and relied on the popularity of the original works.

Source: Scan of Kaiyu
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 25, 2009 6:28 AM

Jul 2008
They can adapt all volumes of Guin Saga into anime.
Mar 25, 2009 6:28 AM

Oct 2007
Toradora is WAY better than Kannagi :P Index had alittle weird pacing for me at the start but I enjoyed it none the less :3
Mar 25, 2009 6:32 AM
Nov 2008
meh, they can always just re-adapt light novels and have them ACTUALLY FOLLOW THE NOVEL (i'm looking at you JC Staff)
Mar 25, 2009 6:33 AM

Dec 2007
don't care about what he said :P after all there is still a lot of "old school" anime ^_^
Mar 25, 2009 6:34 AM

Sep 2007
lol Toradora! and To Aru Majutsu no Index not being success, woot?
I know, it's not the best way to see what's popular, but let's just check MALUpdater stats:
#1 Bleach
#2 Toradora!
#3 Soul Eater
#4 One Piece
#5 To Aru Majutsu no Index
#6 Clannad ~After story~
#7 Code Geass R2
#8 Naruto Shippuuden
#9 Gintama
#10 Kannagi

And tbh there are a lot of fantastic manga, which have yet to get an anime adaptation... but of course they are always free to come up with some original ideas too.
Mar 25, 2009 6:35 AM

Oct 2008
oh no! its a global anime crisis!!!

Mar 25, 2009 6:36 AM

Mar 2008
I'm still waiting for the 3rd season of FMP...
Mar 25, 2009 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
DragonMZ said:
meh, they can always just re-adapt light novels and have them ACTUALLY FOLLOW THE NOVEL (i'm looking at you JC Staff)

Which anime was JC Staff apart of?

Ew, Kannagi was boring until the last 2 episodes... and I mean, whoo, comedy is fun and all... but the only real things happening started in the last episodes. wtf?
Mar 25, 2009 6:40 AM

Sep 2008
Basically, he's saying "My Kannagi pwnz your crappy Toradoras and Indexes". XD

Mar 25, 2009 6:42 AM

Nov 2008
LoL theres alot of crap out there, thats all i worked out.

co_flame said:

About the only thing in this thread i even care for.....Haruhi was good, but it can take a backseat to FMP! anyday just make another friggin season already instead of giving us an anime about fkin high schoolers/romance/comedy all that crap. If i wanted comedy i'd go watch the Chapelle Show.
BorjoyzeeMar 25, 2009 6:46 AM
Mar 25, 2009 6:44 AM

Sep 2007
SNSD said:
DragonMZ said:

Which anime was JC Staff apart of?

Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima, R.O.D., Toradora! just to mention a few.

seishi-sama said:

lol yeah, which is kinda funny to hear from someone who got fired from KyoAni...
Mar 25, 2009 6:45 AM

Apr 2008
seishi-sama said:

And he's right.
Something.
Mar 25, 2009 6:45 AM

Nov 2007
If they are, as he's saying running out of novels/manga to convert -> anime, why not write some original stuff?
I guess I'm also skeptical to the fact that they're "running out of" stuff to animate, as there is a ton of great series left to animate, though I guess it's not mainstream enough to take a chance on.

Also...
co_flame said:

this.

Mar 25, 2009 6:56 AM

Dec 2008
There's no need for "great success". There is success and that's important.
Mar 25, 2009 7:05 AM

Dec 2008
Toradora puwnz both of them. I don't mean Kannagi was bad, but Toradora is more superior.
20px!!!!
Mar 25, 2009 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
WcDuck said:
seishi-sama said:

And he's right.

Haha, Kannagi definitely does not top Toradora! and Index. But that's just my opinion, so whatever.

SunyiNyufi said:

Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima, R.O.D., Toradora! just to mention a few.

lol yeah, which is kinda funny to hear from someone who got fired from KyoAni...

R.O.D? Oh, ew... Shakugan no Shana? Disgusting.

And why did he get fired from KyoAni? xD
Mar 25, 2009 7:14 AM

Sep 2008
SNSD said:

Because the first 4 episodes of Lucky Star he directed were crap and he almost screwed up the whole (good) show? XD
Mar 25, 2009 7:16 AM

Apr 2008
Hey maybe it's time to make ORIGINAL anime...

:/
Mar 25, 2009 7:17 AM

Sep 2007
SNSD said:
R.O.D? Oh, ew... Shakugan no Shana? Disgusting.

Shana first season was good... not sure about the others, cos I never had the desire to watch them.

He got fired cos he couldn't reach the KyoAni standards. Remember the first eps of Lucky Star, and how everyone said they suck? He was the director in charge at that time.
Mar 25, 2009 7:23 AM

Mar 2008
This is freaking hillarious!

"Oh noes, we don't have any more material to adapt and we can't come up with entertaininfg concepts ourselves! What do we do now?"
Mar 25, 2009 7:41 AM

Mar 2008
Dozer said:

"Oh noes, we don't have any more material to adapt and we can't come up with entertaininfg concepts ourselves! What do we do now?"

Exactly!

This guy is retarded. I'd be surprised if anyone take what he said seriously.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2009 7:49 AM

Apr 2008
SunyiNyufi said:
Remember the first eps of Lucky Star, and how everyone said they suck?

Lol the whole series sucked. Those 4 episodes were no different than the rest.
Something.
Mar 25, 2009 8:00 AM

Feb 2008
Director Yamamoto said:

On the other hand, "True Tears" and "Ga-Rei -Zero-" are based off the original works. Both caught the attention of the fans but the results of the business were contrary to each other. I highly regarded "true tears", so I was disappointed at its failure in the sales. As for "Ga-Rei -Zero-", the fans were getting more and more excited especially in the latter half of the series. It's meaningless to make a distinction between an original anime and manga/novel-based anime. A successful title succeeds, and a failed title fails. That's it.
Mar 25, 2009 8:06 AM

Apr 2008
Ye gods, now they might actually have to come up with their own original show that ISN'T Moe Harem Fest #314159! I am appalled, I say, appalled!

Now where's my Battle Royale OVA.
Mar 25, 2009 8:21 AM

Aug 2007
The problem with adapting light novels to anime is that they usually don't stick to the novel or make them both unique. Toradora is fine, but they put much in one episode (24) and Toaru... Well, Toaru could be way better. Shana starts of nice, but then... the second season...

Saiunkoku seems popular enough to me, guess because it sticks to the light novels. Other fine examples are Spice and Wolf and Shigofumi...

Pretty stupid: "Oh no, we went through all the popular light novels! Oh dear! What are we going to do now?" Well, make some true original anime.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Mar 25, 2009 8:51 AM

Oct 2007
They could always make more Kino no Tabi episodes.

They should.

My kingdom for a bottle of plum juice!
Mar 25, 2009 9:03 AM

Nov 2007
Maybe now they'll cut the crap and start working on epic stuff that actually ends up inspiring manga writers.

That's how Gainax manages to hit jackpots with every one of their series.

I wish to be moved. I cannot feel in life.
Mar 25, 2009 9:05 AM

Jun 2007
Plate said:

Gotta agree with this instead of taking a novel or a good manga make a original anime.

Mar 25, 2009 9:29 AM

Oct 2007
Someone remind hime to give us a decent "Please Save My Earth" anime please o/
Mar 25, 2009 9:34 AM

Aug 2008
You can say that they are really running out of material. They rely so much on adaptation nowadays. Probably, it would save them time and money if they can simply adapt a popular light novel rather than writing their own story.

I would like to point out that they have a lot of talented staff like the voice actors. It's too bad that their talents will be wasted because of this.

Hopefully, they can be able to pick up something soon.

Mar 25, 2009 10:06 AM

Oct 2008
Actually, there are quite a number of good manga titles left, its just that Yutaka-san has been affected by the ailing economy. Yutaka-san might be depressed..
Mar 25, 2009 10:11 AM

Jun 2007
WTF! Toradora is awesome D: i disagree with that guy. (even though I do like Kannagi)
Now To Aru Majutsu no Index DID suck... that much is true.
Sides what does he know! He got fired from KyoAni -_-; he has no say in this

Mar 25, 2009 10:27 AM
Jun 2007
Dozer said:

Sounds about right. A possible solution: start adopting not-so-light novels.
And don't stop reading just because it's not an originally japanese work. Western culture has loads of stuff suitable for animedaptation.
Mar 25, 2009 10:27 AM

Oct 2007
Maybe they should think about making adaptations out of material found outside of Japan, if they got the rights to do so. There are lots of fantastic western films that could easily be the base of or inspire a new and gripping anime. Or they could write something original, as mentioned several times... heck, if they need help then I'm willing to lend a hand xD~
Mar 25, 2009 10:50 AM

Apr 2008
I LOVE Toradora!, To Aru Majutsu no Index, and Kannagi! ^o^
Mar 25, 2009 11:56 AM

Apr 2008
co_flame said:

Amen to that.
Mar 25, 2009 12:16 PM

Apr 2008
Dozer said:

Totally O.o

Omg, is it that hard to make original animes instead of only adapting? And if you really want to adapt, how about going for something really awesome that's not that famous? There's so much options, why the hell should someone care that all the famous stuff is adapted? And still, there's so much options in making remakes...
Mar 25, 2009 12:38 PM

Sep 2008
So in the Winter of 2009/2010 we're out of anime :'D
Mar 25, 2009 1:11 PM

Oct 2007
Xenzio said:
So in the Winter of 2009/2010 we're out of anime :'D

Hooray~ not. :P
Mar 25, 2009 1:49 PM
Jun 2007
the slayersfag in me is praying that some noble soul will evaluate the remaining 7 novels of the Slayers novels. they certainly deserve to be revisited and adapted in the near future (though that's up to how Evolution-R's success).
Mar 25, 2009 2:01 PM

Mar 2007
I would like to see some completion of the middle arc from 12 Kingdoms.

I would also say that there is plenty of material out there to animate, how about maybe trying to animate some more shoujo or josei manga instead of wacky gimmick harem comedy #3563462 or wacky-tsundere-loli-comedy #22
Mar 25, 2009 2:24 PM

Apr 2007
Plate said:

But that would mean we'd be deprived of the vast army of critics who helpfully let us know to no end how the manga/novel adaptation was better/worse. In advance. Also, that would build about a sense of true suspense, since nobody outside the production company would really know what would happen next, which is clearly unacceptable.

Seriously though -- would something like Geass R2 have been as fun to watch and speculate on if everybody would have known in advance how it ended? I think that unpredictability from being an original work was a large part of its appeal.

He and Miyazaki should start protesting outside of conventions wearing "THE END IS NIGH" sandwich boards.
Mar 25, 2009 2:28 PM
Feb 2009
Well, i dont know if there are still mangas left that can have success when animated. But i do agree that the animes need more originality, and probably that starts with some originality in the mangas.

i agree with the thought of looking for more stuff to be animated in the europe and etc. probably there are a lot of writers with talent looking for an oportunity but dont have it.

and not only mangas, but for other things, and this is just imho, for examp.: real books.
Mar 25, 2009 2:53 PM

Aug 2008
ha? kannagi is better? no way, i wasn't addict to kannagi but i'm addict to toradora, that's mean toradora is wayy better!

well, i don't find that kannagi is a really good anime, it was ecchi....
Mar 25, 2009 3:01 PM

Aug 2007
OMG!!!! THE INHUMANITY!!!

To think... the anime industry will actually have to start making original stories againxD

Mar 25, 2009 3:07 PM

May 2007
time to make stuff more look like FFAC and such. :v
Mar 25, 2009 3:14 PM

Jul 2007
Plate said:

Seriously.

However, despite my feelings on that, I still think this guy is off his rocker. There's plenty of good stuff either left unfinished or not even touched. At least, stuff on par with what they've already adapted. (Though a lot of the light novel adaptations seem to be ruined.)

Though I can't say if it's popular or not... but seriously, do they have to rely on fans of light novels and graphic novels for their anime?

I suppose, in that sense, he does have a point.
asandariMar 25, 2009 3:17 PM
Mar 25, 2009 4:03 PM

Dec 2007
Then... DO NOT ADAPT LIGHT NOVELS!

It's not that hard.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 25, 2009 4:04 PM

Feb 2008
MagicalEmi said:
I would like to see some completion of the middle arc from 12 Kingdoms.

I was thinking the same thing. I would also like to see Kare Kano and Berserk continued as well since those two had rather abrupt endings.

I'm also in the same boat as rkrempel and Hikari-tan about taking a look at some western stuff. Every time I finish another book from the Dresden Files, I can't help but think that it would look awesome animated.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
9 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.