MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Suggest a Manga to be Featured / Past Featured Series
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» "Hidden Gems of Manga" »» Suggest a Manga to be Featured / Past Featured Series

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
03-23-09, 6:14 PM

It's as the thread title states: suggest a manga series or two that you think should be one of HGM's Featured Series (Bi-Weekly) one of these days.

If you're going to suggest a series to be featured, please state why do you think it deserves to be featured in the club for 2 weeks.

PREVIOUS FEATURED MANGA
- Moon Child (shoujo, fantasy, supernatural, drama, romance)
- Telepathic Wanderers (shounen, supernatural, drama, mature)
- HGM's Best Romance Series winner: Mars (shoujo, romance, drama, psychological)
- Hunter x Hunter (shounen, action, adventure, fantasy)
- Fushigi Yuugi (shoujo, fantasy, adventure, historical, romance, drama)
- REAL (seinen, sports, drama, slice of life)
- Evyione (shoujo manhwa, fantasy, romance, historical, drama)
- Doubt (shounen, psychological, horror, mystery, mature, drama)
- Usagi Drop (josei, slice of life)
- Ghost Sweeper Mikami (shounen, supernatural, comedy, ecchi)
- Silver Diamond (shounen-ai)
- Shin Angyo Onshi (seinen)
- Dengeki Daisy (shoujo)
- Aflame Inferno (shounen)
- Basara (shoujo)
- Liar Game (seinen)

- Saraiya Goyou (seinen)
- Doukyuusei (BL, romance)
- Memories of Emanon (seinen)
- Karakuri Odette (shoujo)
- Gunjo (seinen, yuri)
- Four Shoujo Stories (shoujo)
- Orokamono wa Aka wo Kirau (BL)
- Genkaku Picasso (shounen)
- Olimpos (shoujo)
- Mail (shounen)
- Banana Bread Pudding (Shoujo)
- Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President (Seinen)
- The Heart of Thomas (Shoujo, Shounen Ai)
-Tokyo Zombie (Seinen, Alternative)
-Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M (shounen)
-Pansy (shoujo)
-Peepo Choo (Seinen, Alternative)
-A Drunken Dream and Other Stories (Shoujo, Josei, One-shots)
-Shingeki no Kyojin (shounen, horror)
-Devilman (shounen, horror)
-Bakegyamon (shounen, youth)
-Natsuyuki Rendezvous (Josei, Romance)
-Gimmick! (Seinen)
-What's Michael? (Seinen)
-Futatsu no Spica (Seinen)
Modified by Brand, 08-10-12, 1:34 PM

03-25-09, 8:47 AM
Manga Moderator
Kinou Nani Tabeta?

As a self-declared hater of slice of life, this manga is my exception. Maybe that's just Yoshinaga Fumi working her stuff. The synoposis says it all: "A story of a gay couple trying to live a peaceful normal life as well as sharing hearty meals together."

The main couple is gay, but there's no BL stereotyping going on. They have to deal with their sometimes overly "supportive," yet misunderstanding parents and oblivious coworkers. For older readers, it's easy to relate to the main character and how he gets lost in his cooking hobby to wash away all the worries and stresses of daily life. To him, there's nothing more important or joyful than creating a well-balanced meal for a good price and sharing it. This manga never fails to make me hungry. It has good descriptions and drawings of the meals. This is not a side gimmick, but a main focus. Leave it to Yoshinaga Fumi to make a seinen manga about two gay guys that love to share good meals together. :)

Silver Diamond

It's no secret that I love this one (my current favorite publishing work out of hundreds :O) and always want to find more readers of it. A veteran mangaka, Shiho Suguira seems to have planned out the story, world, and pacing very well. The art is absolutely beautiful and the characters highly enjoyable. Not sure what else to say besides it's just well-crafted and the pinnacle of the BL(ish) fantasy genre.

04-22-09, 7:19 PM

Hope to see Basara, Please Save My Earth, Kazan and alot more epic series to be featured soon!

I would also like to second Shinkeikaku's recommendation, Silver Diamond cause the series sounds interesting and it would be nice to have it as first shounen-ai featured series. The art is great btw..

04-22-09, 10:44 PM
Manga Moderator
Oh, PSME is great. :D I marathoned that manga in just a few days. I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out, but it was worth it.

I'm going to do something about that Silver Diamond summary in MAL Rewrite. It's an eyesore and certainly isn't helping it gain popularity. >.>

04-24-09, 2:02 PM

Yay, glad that you're helping with MAL rewrite shinkeikaku. Some of the summaries on MAL are seriously atrocious.

Anyways, I recommend:
- Kaze Hikaru (historical romance % drama, gender-blender, about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to join the Shinsengumi)
- Socrates in Love (SAD SAD romance but SO GOOD)
- FY: Genbu Kaiden (which, imo, is much better than the original)

KokoroChan: Nobody will beat our SuperAwesomeAsianNinjaSkillzzz (S.A.A.N.S.)!!!!!! l P h o t o s h o p G a l l e r y l

04-25-09, 7:44 AM
Manga Moderator
Just one more rec for the sake of a very different genre—Kyuuso wa Chiizu no Yume wo Miru.

Yup, yaoi. Good yaoi. This work manages to dodge many pitfalls that plague the genre. The men are actually men; characters aren’t magically gay for everyone; people don’t automatically fall for someone after being pressured into a relationship; etc.

These general statements are kinda spoilery for such a short work.

This was written by Mizushiro Setona (After School Nightmare) and was serialized in Judy, meaning it was made with older women in mind. I only wish the sequel oneshot was also available in English. It’s even better and adds to their story very well. :O

:looks at her other recs in the thread: lol, I swear I read stuff with straight people in it! But I think any of these 3 recs would offer some variety from what has already been featured.

04-25-09, 10:09 AM

@shinkeikaku: I'll definitely feature one of your suggested series in May. In fact, as admin, you can have the honors of picking one of the featured series in May = )

chichiriNoDa said:
Hope to see Basara, Please Save My Earth, Kazan and alot more epic series to be featured soon!

I would also like to second Shinkeikaku's recommendation, Silver Diamond cause the series sounds interesting and it would be nice to have it as first shounen-ai featured series. The art is great btw..

Not to sound mean chichiri, but I don't think I'm going to feature Basara or PSME anytime soon (unless either of them win the Best Unknown Series tournament). We've already featured 3 shoujo fantasy series.

I won't mind featuring Kazan though since it's a seinen series and the only seinen we've featured was REAL. My only problems with it is that it's no longer available in English (and probably won't ever again) and there are no scans for it. It'll be hard to "recommend" it to the club when the majority of members are not going to go out of their way to buy the remaining copies off eBay or something - they'll essentially have NO WAY of reading it = (

Susurrous said:
Yay, glad that you're helping with MAL rewrite shinkeikaku. Some of the summaries on MAL are seriously atrocious.

Anyways, I recommend:
- Kaze Hikaru (historical romance % drama, gender-blender, about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to join the Shinsengumi)
- Socrates in Love (SAD SAD romance but SO GOOD)
- FY: Genbu Kaiden (which, imo, is much better than the original)

Good suggestions! Too bad Viz is sooo behind on their releases of Kaze Hikaru. This series is already 25 volumes and still ongoing in Japan!

Socrates in Love is good as well for a oneshot!

And I agree with you about FYGK. Since we just featured FY not too long ago, I'll probably save this for much later, but it will eventually be featured!

Thanks you guys!

04-25-09, 1:51 PM
Manga Moderator
@sakura_rose: Sweet :D While Kyuuso is one of the few that could fight against Silver Diamond for my affections, I can't betray my true manga love. ;) Looks like yaoi will have to wait for its big debut.. lol.

04-30-09, 1:24 AM

Is it too late to nominate Ghost Sweeper Mikami?

04-30-09, 4:22 AM

Solanin by Asano Inio, 2 Volumes - 28 Chapter (Slice of Life, Drama, Seinen)

Asano Inio's best work imo. A short story about a group of youngsters who just came out of university, a couple, and a band. Throught all the struggles, they try to find a meaning and a direction for their life in a very big city. This manga takes a very detailed shot of the life of those people in one of the most important period in their life: the one when they definitely choose what they want (or will) to be. This short story does not fall in usual clichés, and results to be emotional, funny and sad, but also mature and reflective.

04-30-09, 10:49 AM

What about Anoko to Issho ? A realistic shojo, sometimes even considered a josei, I've only read three volumes, but it's a great serie if we're looking for a shoujo. Now that I think about it, it's really more like a josei, even though the characters are high-schoolers. Definitely a recommendation if you need a featured serie. I don't know if scans are available =/
(@shinkeikaku : I definitely think MAL rewrite is a great idea ! Anyway, could you have a look at the summary for Kanojo Iro No Kanojo and tell me if something is wrong with it, since when I wrote it I wasn't sure of the way to phrase it, I get confused between french and english when I write summaries/review and everything I write sounds weirdly worded when read out loud)

04-30-09, 8:27 PM
Manga Moderator
Nice to see more recs. :)

@Elthyra
It's great when people submit summaries. I'm glad you're doing it. :) I used to do it a lot more, but I got very tired of some dedicated stalkers stealing everything I posted and removing credits. -.-

The summary makes sense, but I would call her dream to be a "female mixed martial artist" instead. Her outfit, glove style, lack of female participation, and the fact that she uses her fists and legs hints at her type of fighting, even though the kanji is not very descriptive (it's just basically "female martial artist").

Oh, there's an interview with Megumi Fujii and she's definitely a mixed martial artist. lol, that was a lot more simple. So much for thinking it out ^_^;;
Modified by shinkeikaku, 04-30-09, 8:35 PM

05-27-09, 6:45 PM

I choose Lovenista. It's a very odd manga, but it's also very sweet. It has a bit weird parts, especially the first page, but I would reccomened it to anyone. I hope to see it... maybe.

05-27-09, 6:58 PM

I recommend that Yumekui Kenbun: Nightmare Inspector . It's very much like XXXholic, however, it focuses on making a confusing scene out of a person's nightmare, and having the reader piece the puzzle together with logic. It also has some of the BEST artwork I've ever seen.

05-27-09, 7:06 PM
Manga Moderator
littlemitsuki said:
I choose Lovenista. It's a very odd manga, but it's also very sweet. It has a bit weird parts, especially the first page, but I would reccomened it to anyone. I hope to see it... maybe.

I haven't read Lovenista, but I'm very aware of Kayono and her plagiarism. I certainly don't call the shots around here, but I don't think supporting a mangaka that blatantly plagiarized from another (and legally got away with it using her social connections) is the message we want to get across with the featured series. :/

Do you have another suggestion? :3 She's just the only major mangaka I can think of that really disrespected her own industry. ^_^;; Some people are unaware of the incident as well since she got to continue publishing with no repercussions, unlike the other party.

(For those unfamiliar with material the caused the (failed) lawsuit that barred the legitimate mangaka Takashima Kazusa from publishing for years, refer to this page. It's in Japanese, but I think it's rather self explanatory.)

Edit: That page has some NSFW boobs btw. ^_^;;
Modified by shinkeikaku, 05-27-09, 7:09 PM

05-28-09, 4:15 PM

@Galatea: Solanin is a great choice! I hope to feature this some day as well.

@Elthyra: Anoko to Issho seems good, though I wonder, is this series dropped? It seems like it hasn't been scanlated in awhile and I can't seem to find any signs that show that it's still ongoing = /

littlemitsuki said:

I'm going to have to go with shin on this one. The purpose of this club is to hype up and promote some great series out there that might have otherwise gone unread. Unfortunately, since the mangaka of Lovenista has committed such a serious crime in the manga industry with plagiarism, I don't believe that we should "support" her in this club.

Though I'm rather more interested to support those works that she plagiarized from 'cuz I'm sure they're a lot better than what she came up with xD

conankudo4 said:
I recommend that Yumekui Kenbun: Nightmare Inspector . It's very much like XXXholic, however, it focuses on making a confusing scene out of a person's nightmare, and having the reader piece the puzzle together with logic. It also has some of the BEST artwork I've ever seen.

I've read the first 2 or 3 volumes of Yumekui Kenbun. While I don't think that I'd like it enough to continue collecting it (since I like xxxHolic better), but I do think that it's definitely worth checking out, especially since it's one of those series that Viz has released under the radar = )

@shin: Thanks for the info! Even I myself, didn't even know that Kayano was a copycat :P

05-28-09, 4:46 PM

Shin Angyo Onshi is definitely a manga to be featured. I don't even know why its not in the list of manga associated with this club. This is a very very deep and at times dark manga, with a impeccable story line. Also the artwork in this manga, even though I hardly care about things like this, is undoubtedly the most exquisite I have ever seen. Even with such a heart wrenching story of lost love, and failed hopes, the characters of this manga truly shine making you wish you could just jump in their world and give them the comfort they deserve.

I'm not really sure, if this is a popular manga or not, but I still think this deserves the spotlight just as much as Basara does. Also, some sites say this is a manhwa, some say its a manga. It reads from right to left, and the only thing that makes me think its a manhwa are the names. (which some still have -san endings so i'm confused). All in all a good manga/manhwa.

05-29-09, 8:32 AM

Umm... okay I didn't know that... I just read whatever is good =\

05-29-09, 11:08 AM

There's a manga that just came to my mind, and I'm suprised to see that it wasn't reced before. And it's Kare Kano.

I remember reading this manga and being effected by it. It's a slice of life, drama, romance which made me think about my own life while reading it. I remember that I was able to sync with the girl protagonist and reflect her thoughts to my own life. I really enjoyed reading it even if it was 21 Volumes.

06-01-09, 9:49 PM

@kittenz73: I've read Shin Angyo Onshi and it's probably my favorite seinen manhwa. Technically it's a manhwa since it's made by Koreans but since it's serialized in a Japanese magazine, it's read like a manga. I still consider it a manhwa though. I don't always have time to keep the lists up to date, but yeah, I think that Shin Angyo Onshi is definitely one that deserves to be in the club relations = )

@Fin: I haven't read Kare Kano but it seems to be a classic. I always see people talking about it. I think it deserves to be added to the club relations as well, just based on its reputation alone xD

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices