Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 23, 2009 5:45 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, so the final two episodes are essentially an "all-star" story as most of the key supporting characters come back into play.

Poor Sasada - she's going to have to figure out some way to dress and act like a boy in order to get Natsume's attention... LOL

And then she'll still have to fend off Taki!
Mar 23, 2009 5:49 PM

Jan 2008
I get to star a topic? how rare. tonikaku,

Good epi, although the main yokai was a bit player with no background, instead we get young Kai as the main element. The reveal at the end was a twist, as we were lead to believe the Kai was another who shared Natsu-kun's gift.

To all that hoped for a female counterpart, looks like you got your wish. Not only is Taki in full acceptance of Natsume and Nyako sensei, but jelously protecting Natsume from Sasada.

--edit--
Ah, I see I took to much time typing and was beaten to the kick-off post.

dbaranyi - With Edits said:
Poor Sasada - she's going to have to figure out some way to dress and act like a boy in order to get Natsume's attention... LOL - And then she'll still have to fend off Taki!

That does seem to be the truth in the matter.
datsunvicMar 23, 2009 5:58 PM
Mar 23, 2009 7:23 PM

Aug 2008
They really worked with atmosphere well in this episode. It was obvious since the silouhette in the beginning that Natori had something to do with this, so he was a good red herring. But a double red-herring? Awesome job.

It's weird that Kai is a youkai since the other little kids could see him, and Nyanko couldn't tell from his smell. This seems to be the first time he was fooled.

Also...Tanuma was quite silent when Taki was talking to Natsume at the benches....

That's all I'll say about that.
Mar 23, 2009 8:19 PM

Jan 2009
Ya, I thought so too, that Tanuma really didn't say very much at all.

I also have a hard time grasping the whole Kai thing, it's weird that everyone can see him and that he even fooled Nyanko. But it does make sense with his parents never being around. I also assume that the seal on the coffin would not have worked on a human, so it sort of makes sense.
Mar 23, 2009 8:32 PM

Mar 2008
Beautiful episode as usual with a twist in the end which was quite surprising.
It was full of funny scenes as well..Natsume getting depressed after being told by kids that he's like a bean sprout, man-woman, etc...XD
Mar 23, 2009 10:20 PM

Jun 2008
Wow didn't expect Kai to be a youkai 0_0 and i was just about to start wondering why his eye pupils aren't slit like the other people's who can see youkai. And Madara didn't sense that he isn't human? And the other kids can see him?? *CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT EPISODE*

on a side note -- Kai is adorable ><~
Mar 23, 2009 10:24 PM

Mar 2009
I have to agree with everyone on this list that this was a fantastic episode with the great atmosphere we all love in Natsume and with some mind boggling twists. The bit about Kai did throw me for a loop like everyone else; but I did wonder about why all the kids were extremely protective of him from the "pervert" Natsume. It's like they jumped in throwing things and calling names with a bit more fervor than your normal japanese kid in anime. Maybe a bit of mind influencing by Kai in his favor? Must be a pretty dang powerful Youkai to fool Nyanko and be humanly visible too.

I'm quivering with anticipation for episode 13 though a little sad too since I know there won't be a season 3 till the mangaka catches up a bit. But all the same, one last dip into the world of Natsume is worth it. Can't wait!!
Sarah Lynne
Yaoi enthusiast
Attendee of Sakura Con
Sakura Con's "Chibi-Saitoh"

Mar 23, 2009 10:45 PM

Feb 2009
Natsume is no longer alone, maybe Tanuma and Taki do not have his gift but at least the understand him. What's so disturbing about hugging Nyanko-sensei?! I think I'd just like Taki if I saw him :P Poor Natsume kids can be so cruel! LOL .
Mar 24, 2009 4:14 AM

Sep 2008
Scenes of Natsume, Taki and Kai spending time together make them look like one happy family... too bad at the ending though.
I certainly wasn't expecting the boy to be a youkai. Everyone around is fooled, even Nyanko-sensei. He must be one really powerful youkai.

The preview of the next episode looks great! I wonder what Natsume will choose...?
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Mar 24, 2009 4:40 AM

Oct 2007
Such a great episode!
Jeez that youkai was creepy XD but such a twist in the end didn't expect Kai to be a youkai with at first confirming he wasn't one but looking forward to the last episode!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2009 6:21 AM

May 2008
Takai said:
*CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT EPISODE*

on a side note -- Kai is adorable ><~

aslhjdshfh SECONDED~
Mar 24, 2009 6:33 AM

Mar 2009
This was another interesting episode. Natsume is face with an interesting but difficult choice/question. I've no doubt that he'll answer in a way that is very typical of him. But I think, what happens is that he'll come away from his experience learning something new. Kai is indeed an interesting character...a youkai that can be seen by other humans. He must be pretty powerful for Natori to be given the task of sealing him. But I wonder why though. I come away feeling that there's more to Kai than the innocent looks he gives. But the way things are going, Natsume would not let Natori harm him in anyway. Can't wait to find out what happens next. Btw, Taki and Nyanko are just too cute.
Hikari08Mar 24, 2009 6:58 AM
Mar 24, 2009 6:54 AM
Feb 2008
hmm interesting one I didn't expect Kai to be a youkai ,Natsume was funny when those kids called him "moyashi" or girly
anyway the next one is the last I hope it will be interesting ^^
Mar 24, 2009 10:29 AM

Apr 2008
I'm really suprised that this is a two parter. I had been figuring that they'd end with Touko and Shigeru learning about Natsume's powers but I'm guessing that isn't going to be the case.

Kai being a youkai was rather unexpected since Nyanko said seemed human. Nyanko made a mistake! I'd have never even considered that possibility.

Oh, and we get to see Taki again! You almost feel sorry for Nyanko, that or evny.
Mar 24, 2009 10:31 AM

Feb 2009
Is it weird I thought he was a youkai all along at the back of my mind and wasn't really surprised when told at the end? I think it was his eyes and hair perhaps or that he reminded me somewhat of the fox kid from a while back.
He must be really powerful indeed because Nyanko said a while back there are youkai that can take up human form and even be seen but those are the most powerful ones.

I really look forward to the last episode. ^__^
Mar 24, 2009 12:06 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not surprised that he's a youkai either. But I loved this episode. especially when the kids were calling him names xD

And Tanuma is jealous of Taki :o

I can't believe it's almost done already ;_;
Mar 24, 2009 2:41 PM

Oct 2007
Good episode~ Kai is cute and he and Natsume are totally attached to each other. It'd be sad to see him go ;~;

LOL @ stalker!Natori XD Of course Natsume would get involved~ And yay for Nyanko-sensei saving his ass all over again! I hope there will be more of Tanuma and Taki next episode (I'm sad Tanuma wasn't able to play a more prominent role in the series). Urgh, knowing the next episode's (most likely) the last one, I'll probably cry :'D

[And I'm glad Natsume won't be meeting the tragic end that's been overshadowed (at least in the anime ;~;)]

Mar 24, 2009 4:35 PM

Feb 2008
Takai said:
Madara didn't sense that he isn't human? And the other kids can see him??

maybe his body is like Madara's, a vessel rather than his true form.

honestly I thought the yokai was after him because he broke a promise with it and that it would put Natsume in the wrong when he rescued the kid. Now I'm thinking that Kai probably feeds on humans in some subtle way and Natsume was in the wrong for releasing him.
Mar 24, 2009 6:43 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Cliffhanger to the last episode.

Difficult decision is going to come for Natsume.....Good episode, aiming for a perfect 10 for this series depending on the next episode.

Third season? It seems I just can't get enough of this series and its awesome characters.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 25, 2009 6:02 AM

Jul 2008
So far i didn't regret rating ZNY with a 10, and after this episode I don't think this is going to change easily. ^^

After Madara came to save Natsume, he only thanked him for saving him... I wished he also had given some thanks to Taki who called Madara after all. Natsume needs to recognize/appreciate her a bit more. >_<
Well he at least indirectly thanked her, by saying it was all thanks to sensei.

What I liked best was probably when Natsume was angry for a short moment when Kai repeated the insults (in front of Taki and Tanuma) in order to apologize for them. You don't see that very often ^^
Mar 25, 2009 6:58 AM
Aug 2008
Silberkralle said:

What I liked best was probably when Natsume was angry for a short moment when Kai repeated the insults (in front of Taki and Tanuma) in order to apologize for them. You don't see that very often ^^

Natsume got a lot of development in this episode. He introspected and said that it wasn't the spirits' fault that he was always in trouble. He finally expressed some righteous indignation by going silent and hinting anger, which was a lot of expressiveness relatively speaking.

At the time, while I was watching it, I mostly was thinking, "Yes this is clearly the first part of a two-part arc," but I wasn't saying, "Aha, character development." Now that I look back, the functional writing techniques are harder to ignore. So long as I can continue to suspend disbelief while watching, I guess that's good enough.

Mar 25, 2009 5:44 PM

Jun 2007
Amazing episode!!! totally loved it

Noes one more episode i dont want it to end but i do want to see what is NAtsume going to do.

Second cutest thing ever: Nyanko sensei and his think for touching his nose <3
Mar 25, 2009 8:13 PM

Nov 2007
Poor Sasada. No one wants to explain anything to her. xD Taki is so adorable..x3 Yes I am glad there is a female counterpart now, and she's quite helpful despite having no sight or sensing skills.

Stop saying stuff like someone is jealous or what...D: You guys are ruining my pure image of a series that has no love drama between the main characters and just friendly relationships. I just want Natsume to be friends with them forever and find some nice lady (......................or guy if you really insist =_=;) when he is older and have a long happy life.

I really hope for a 3rd season~ I really want them to end where Natsume finally decides to tell Touko-san and Shigeru-san.
Mar 26, 2009 6:32 PM
Nov 2007
the twist at the end was very unexpected. kai must be one strong youkai to fool everyone.

the scene where natsume was thinking and walking with kai and taki and the youkai pops out and was about to chop off natsumes head scared me lol
Mar 27, 2009 10:13 PM

Jun 2008
I thought the boy would be a Youkai as Natsume was opening the coffin (and Nyanko-sensei going "don't do it!"). But then Nyanko-sensei said that he's not Youkai, so I thought "okay, he's just a boy then".

Maybe Kai's like Nyanko-sensei, in that his current body is a vessel that normal humans can see (like how normal people can see kitty Nyanko), and he has a true form, like Madara's true form..

preview shows Kai flying XDD

I'm sad that the season is almost over... and just as it was getting to the continuing story too...
Mar 30, 2009 10:43 AM

May 2007
Why does Natsume have to choose, Kai isn't seemingly hurting anything, why can't Kai just live. Plus how the heck can everyone see Kai?
My anime list
Mar 30, 2009 4:09 PM

Jan 2008
I like it, but I'm still curious to why the spirit that Nyanko got rid of was sitting and saying that is the kid doesn't follow through with the agreement, he'd eat him. Was that explained or was it just forgotten

edit: 600th post!
losttyMar 30, 2009 4:13 PM
Mar 30, 2009 7:56 PM

Dec 2008
This was a good episode as always, but I was quite surprised with Natsume this time...getting really angry and yelling at the kid..a different side of him, and its funny how he is indefferent to lots of things but those kids annoyed him XD
Mar 31, 2009 1:49 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Oh? During the second half of this episode, it became awesome.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 31, 2009 3:46 PM
Dec 2007
Natsume + Taki + Kai feel like a happy family ;)

Fantastic episode once again with great direction, atmosphere, animation, characters, well... pretty much everything, that builds up the plot for a great finale. Oh and I hope Taki will have a bigger role in the third season, it would be nice not to have only Natsume and Nyanko-sensei as main characters.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 31, 2009 7:28 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:

It's weird that Kai is a youkai since the other little kids could see him, and Nyanko couldn't tell from his smell. This seems to be the first time he was fooled.

Also...Tanuma was quite silent when Taki was talking to Natsume at the benches....

That's all I'll say about that.

I have a feeling he doesn't even know he himself is a Youkai either. The next episode shows his eyes change to a more chaotic scribble color so maybe he finally realizes what he his and his personality changes.
Mar 31, 2009 10:07 PM

Nov 2007
taki is the best. i wish they made this series longer than 13 episodes. third season will be needed since this was just focused on character development and not the book of friends.

Apr 1, 2009 6:17 PM

Apr 2007
ii kara, ii kara~~

also, female chars <3
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Apr 1, 2009 10:34 PM

Jul 2006
I love Taki and want her to bear my children.

That is all.... and great episode.

Apr 2, 2009 12:48 AM

Jul 2007
Just an excellent episode :]
I guess Kai must be a pretty powerful youkai since everyone can see him.

can't wait to see how things turn out in the next episode.
TrieApr 2, 2009 12:52 AM
Apr 3, 2009 11:04 AM

Aug 2007
Yay for Taki! Well, Kai is cute and I didn't expect him to be a youkai either, but it could be expected somehow... More likely for a change. Just what will happen to him... Oh, and that weird ayakashi with the axe reminded me of the first episode of Higurashi~. It's funny that all the youkai and ayakashi run weird.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Apr 4, 2009 3:55 AM

May 2008
Natsume so Gay.. -1 for me

9/10 :(
Apr 5, 2009 10:07 PM
Dec 2007
Taki <3. She is the best supporting character in the entire show. Taki x Natsume please.

The atmosphere in this episode was very different. I liked how every major supporting character was in this episode. The youkai with a axe was less powerful than I originally had thought but Kai being a youkai made up for the lack of battle. The weird thing is, people who can't see youkai can see Kai, perhaps Kai has a human form (something similar to Nyanko's cat form), I vaguely recall that there was a youkai who turned into a human for a short period of time. Maybe Kai is a strong youkai.

Lol at Natsume being picked on by Kai's friends. Poor Natsume.
Apr 9, 2009 6:15 PM

Jan 2008
Oh nonono, Natsume x Tanuma.

Ok, well. I LOVE Taki too <33333333333333.
But, but. Absolutely excellent episode, as an usual. This show is a masterpiece!
Apr 16, 2009 7:05 AM

Jun 2008
Finally Tanuma has speaking lines!! I think his character should've develop more. Go for Madara!!

Yes, an interesting twist at the end.

Love the part when Tanuma and Sasada were commenting that Taki has bad taste whenever she couldn't contol her urges to jug Nyanko-sensei. Lol!!
Apr 16, 2009 11:15 AM

Feb 2008
Jacut said:
Natsume + Taki + Kai feel like a happy family ;)
My thoughts exactly.

i lol'd at the girly boy insult, it's only funny cause its true.
May 7, 2009 5:44 PM

Nov 2006
lol forever @ girly boy and "she has bad taste"

the scene with natsume carrying kai on his back down the street with the youkai dragging his axe behind them felt quite higurashi.

OT3 IN ONE SHOT!!!!!
http://i39.tinypic.com/2qibbee.png

the talk about jealousy in this thread is confusing me. i didn't sense any jealousy vibes from taki or tanuma. taki was making sasada go away because taki realized sasada makes natsume feel uncomfortable, and tanuma just sat there because he didn't have anything to add to the conversation.

and the confusing of "untrusting" and "scared" for "gay" saddens me. just because he's not hitting on taki or sasada doesn't mean he's only into guys. he's not hitting on tanuma or natori either!
windyMay 7, 2009 5:54 PM
Jun 2, 2009 8:37 PM

Apr 2008
Kai is a youkai o_o .... kinda sad for natsume

Jun 20, 2009 12:16 AM

Jul 2008
Frak. I knew it. He was too adorable and had no parents. NOOOOOOOOOO! T___T

Just one more episode?!!?!? How am I supposed to survive?!?!?

BEGINNER
Jul 13, 2009 12:50 AM

Nov 2007
Wow, unexpected to think the kid was a Youkai, or maybe Natori is up to something. But this change in pace for the series is going pretty well I mus say ^^
Aug 15, 2009 2:22 PM

Mar 2009
Brilliant episode awesome twist at the end can't wait to see what will happen next. Only one more episode left god its sooo depressing.

Jan 16, 2010 9:47 PM

Nov 2009
Nyanko sensei is the best! XD, im wondering if this kai kid is much stronger than he appears seeing how nyanko couldnt sense he was a youkai the whole time o.o
Jan 20, 2010 2:43 PM

Nov 2008
That was unexpected. Did Nyanko say that he was a kid?

And Sensei looked cute when he was asking for his reward. LOL

And here I thought that Natori would betray Natsume, but I guess that is still a possibility. And only one episode left.

And I'm still getting that yaoi atmosphere.
Feb 2, 2010 11:52 AM

Sep 2009
So the kid is a youkai, what a surprise!
May 17, 2010 1:55 PM

Sep 2009
One of the best episode of anime I've seen in a while. Every character was so cute in this one, and the music created the right atmosphere throughout the episode.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 16, 2009

101 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

noteDhero - Mar 9, 2009

125 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 30, 2009

179 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 12, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aznixiboy - Mar 20, 2009

56 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 8, 2:33 AM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 9, 2009

98 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 7, 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.