Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 26, 2009 10:18 AM

Sep 2008
It was a pretty cool anime, good start.. blah middle.. decent end. I'll give it a 8/10 ^^

Mar 26, 2009 11:56 AM

Jun 2008
Yeah, the ending i wanted :)

In the end the main plot had nothing to do with Hiroshi. It was all about the bond between these two memorable characters. And the promises were ketp till the end. Satisfying series to me, totally saved my season.

8/10, just because the soundtrack gets over9000/10 to me. Best thing ever.
Mar 26, 2009 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, horrible scores for a PRETTY COOL anime. The quallity of the animation IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. Brazil has been incarnated in the most accurate way that I've seen. Absolutely AMAZING the music, I love you KASSIN! Really I need these soundtracks, absolutely AWESOME the managment of the sound: PERFECT. I have to say, AMAZING character development, really amazing! And, of course, amazing enjoyment, I was wating for the ep of Michiko ALL THE WEEK, and IT WORTH A LOT.

No words, no words, really. Perfect. 10/10.
Mar 26, 2009 8:33 PM

Apr 2008
To be honest, this anime does have some slow parts where things drag on and the story is rather thin but what makes up for that is the fact it is episodic like a Bebop or Champloo where there is a loose storyline and it slowly builds up to the endgame of the story by quietly and subtly revealing knowledge about the characters. You could see the growth between Hatchin and Michiko and you can see how their meeting went from being kind of at odds of one another to growing into a family that did truly love one another. Some might be picky about the plot of this anime but to me, the way it is initially structured, it was a fitting telling of a tale like this.

Now even though story isn't as epic or great as it possibly could have been, maybe 3-4 more episodes to build more into it, the art work and animation of this show for the most part was absolutely stunning and phenomenal. So much detail and color and effort was put into it, it truly was a sight to behold. The problem here though however is it did get sloppy and quite weird looking near the last 3-4 episodes but overall had one of the best designs in years for an anime. You could sense that it had almost a Latin American Lupin feel to it with it's comedy, artwork and overall style and to me, being a Lupin fan, is a plus and adds to it.

The music was also fantastic and something you would expect from someone like Watanabe. It's really great sounding with great mixes of rock, jazz and salsa. Some might complain how they didn't mix up the opening and closing songs but they were very solid and pleasing. The use of timed music was great in it.

Overall, Michiko e Hatchin is a great series that if you can get past some of it's bad spots such as the somewhat sparse story and glitchy animation toward the end, it's very enjoyable. If you really don't like episodic anime where it jumps around and slowly tells a loosely held story, then this won't be for you but overall it's a enjoyable show.

Hopefully this show gets licensed, doubtful but wishful thinking

I'll give it an 8/10 (8.5/10)
Mar 28, 2009 7:20 AM

Jun 2008
Hatchin having a kid was really surprising.

Overall, it was good at times, bad at times, and decent at times.
Apr 2, 2009 7:09 AM

Oct 2007
Heh, I'm a sucker for short hair girls, I really thought she looked cute like that. A lot cuter then her younger short hair version anyway.From the beginning of the episode I was hoping we would get to see grown up Hana, and I wasn't disappointed.

I really enjoyed the ride this show gave me and am more then satisfied with the ending. I knew from the start of the episode Hiroshi was going to be a crappy dad tho.

10/10 for the whole show from me since I enjoyed this so much as a whole.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Apr 2, 2009 7:49 PM

Apr 2008
I have to say it took a bit for me to get into this series, but it was worth the time and I'm glad I stuck with it.

I think Hatchin's new look as Hana was great, short hair and all. They baby was kind of surprising but not completely unimaginable. Hey accidents happen at that age.
Apr 3, 2009 4:27 AM

Jan 2008
Her hair, what? Stupid Hiroshi running off again, there was completely no point in finding him in the first place D:
Glad Hatchin and Michiko reunited at the end.
Apr 15, 2009 11:12 PM
Dec 2007
southdkotaboy said:
They baby was kind of surprising but not completely unimaginable. Hey accidents happen at that age.
It may have been around the time when Hiroshi decided to up and abandon her...AGAIN. Then again, Hana really didn't give a damn, since she expected him to be an ass already.

Hiroshi... well the only one who truly understood Hiroshi was Hana. She realized the guy was a coward who ran away at the first sign of trouble, and who just went with the flow. Petty thief, syndicate bigshot, scientist, small-time actor. The guy can become anything with his silver tongue and "nice-guy" act. He even got Satoshi and Michiko pretty much at odds against one another thanks to it.

So yeah, thanks to all that the end of the road felt unsatysfying. To the end Michiko kept being a teenager in love, trapped by Hiroshi's good looks. Satoshi died protecting Hatchin, which was sort of bittersweet. He brought that end to himself, but he actually showed some sort of compassion to someone, which made his death a bit more dramatic.

So, kid aside (tomboy Hana with a kid...it's a bit hard to swallow to tell the truth), this anime was a bit of a rollercoaster. Awesome at times, a complete snoozefest at others, but when it found it's rythim it could draw you in. I'll give it a 7/10. Great animation and music, with some up and downs in pacing and a so-so ending.

Apr 16, 2009 11:43 AM

Jan 2009
What? Hana should't be pregnant. Shes the responsible one. I'm more disappointed about the fact that their isn't any doujin of Michiko.

"Black holes are where God divided by zero"-Steven Wright
Apr 16, 2009 3:49 PM

Apr 2008
malefactress said:
I'm gonna come out and say it, then. Best fucking anime I've watched in forever. Brilliant characters, gorgeous animation, fabulous music, pitch-perfect ending. I nearly cried.

Yes.
Apr 18, 2009 10:03 AM

Oct 2008
This is the best anime to come out since Gurren Lagann.

If the rating system was based on the 100 scale it'd get a perfect 100 rather than just a 10.
Apr 23, 2009 1:07 AM

Aug 2007
I was like what the hell.... after Michiko found the idiot Hiroshi, she sent them two off together??? What was so important that she had to do alone?

Whhaaaaaaa... I just didn't get it.

I can see they tried to end the anime well, but I didn't like it. Hana was hideous and so was her baby...

Satoshi died like no bodies bidness, dayum.

I gave it a 7 too. I enjoyed some episodes and hated others.
Apr 23, 2009 9:11 PM
Dec 2007
sakR9 said:
I was like what the hell.... after Michiko found the idiot Hiroshi, she sent them two off together??? What was so important that she had to do alone?

I can see they tried to end the anime well, but I didn't like it. Hana was hideous and so was her baby...

Michiko was a wanted criminal, so Hana had no future with her. She, having a much better opinion of Hiroshi than Hana, thought Hana's was better off being with her dad, than uncertainly living with her. I mean, if they did catch Michiko (which they did), Hana would have been sent to another foster home again. It was kind of a cop out ending... 22 episodes and Michiko, even thought actually caring for Hatchin, couldn't see past Hiroshi's mask.

May 5, 2009 9:38 AM

Oct 2008
QuothTheRaven said:
malefactress said:
I'm gonna come out and say it, then. Best fucking anime I've watched in forever. Brilliant characters, gorgeous animation, fabulous music, pitch-perfect ending. I nearly cried.

Yes.

Yay!

May 5, 2009 8:35 PM

Jun 2008
What I love about this, like Samurai Champloo and Bebop and other works by this director/producer whomever.

Life isn't always what you want, it sucks. The ending isn't the perfect ending, but it's not meant to be. I still teared up, I wish Hiroshi wouldn't have left...I wish Hatchin would have grown out her hair, and not become like her mother in a sense with the child, but that's life. And I enjoyed Michiko to Hatchin very much, the beginning was fabulous. The middle did slow down, but I still enjoyed it.

It had the great pairing of an older and younger relationship that I love. The music was amazing, as expected. I loved the characters, and the art was beautiful.

8.5/10 which rounds to a 9 for me <3
May 6, 2009 9:14 PM

Feb 2008
I gave this a 9/10, mainly for its uniqueness, but for enjoyment I'd probably give it a 7.5/10 or so.

I enjoyed watching this series, especially toward the end. I felt sad that Satoshi had to die. He was pretty cool. I didn't really know what to expect when they finally caught up to Hiroshi, but it looks like he was just an ass. Hatchin having a baby completely took me by surprise, it definitely isn't in her character. I liked the ending; it was simple and sweet, and almost made me cry.

Overall I believe this is a very good series, despite its slow parts, and I would suggest it to anyone who wants a change from the mainstream.
May 7, 2009 12:47 PM

Oct 2007
Satoshi's death is a typical case of 'Live by the sword, die by the sword'. If you spent that much time being a badass gangster, living on the edge of death you just know that he would die a violent death. Still very nice that they made him show just a teensy bit of compassion right at the end off his life.

As for Michiko, I can relate to her decision of letting Hiroshi take the child with him so Hana would be reasonably safe, so Michiko could go and finish her sentence and be free to live with Hana at last. It shows a side of responsibility that Michiko was lacking beforehand.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
May 7, 2009 4:32 PM

Jan 2008
Charliehsv said:
It was a pretty good finale, nothing mindblowing though.

I never really got into this series, and towards the end I really just watched it for the sake of finishing...gets a 6/10 from me.

same here @.@
May 11, 2009 9:39 AM

Jan 2009
I dislike the end... (((( They overcame the long way (to be free, as the trailer says)... And what for??????? Michiko was set into the prison again, miserable Hiroshi ran away, Hatchin bringing up the child alone with bad hairstyle... What for?? What for??? *still shocked*
TomPaul15 said:
It was a pretty cool anime, good start.. blah middle.. decent end. I'll give it a 8/10 ^^

Exactly! This is what I think. But I gave 7 ))
EinveraMay 11, 2009 9:43 AM

May 15, 2009 3:14 AM

Apr 2007
I was hoping for some mindblowing awesome ending, but instead there was this bittersweet ending. Overall, the series was a great joy to watch, but I still can't help but be a bit dissapointed. Surely there was a better route to go that this one? Ah well...

8/10, although if it ended better 9/10 (the score I had kept it at all the way till now).

Gonna miss Mitchiko and Hatchin...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2009 3:14 AM
Feb 2009
Series is great, the ending not so much. Hiroshi was just a lame-o. Hatchin that young baby mama = do not want! Though Michiko kept her cool.
May 19, 2009 5:09 PM

Oct 2007
It was good that Michiko went back to prison, so she could finish her sentence. It shows she care more about Hana than herself, a huge progress since the beginning.

Hana would not live a decent life running away with Michiko all the time. And getting Hiroshi to take care of Hana, even if he barely did, was a good thing. Hiroshi was an ass but I can't really hate him. And I wonder if she was going to follow him again. Hope not.

I was a bit surprised that Hana had a baby, but she was at least 18 years old and have a baby at that age is not so uncommon. I don't see her being immature or irresponsible just because she had a baby. She was taking care and working for the sake of her baby, so everything's fine. But I feel bad for the kid, will grown up with Michiko around.

David_CZ said:
Brazil has been incarnated in the most accurate way that I've seen.

I have to disagree here, the way they showed Brazil was the reason i didn't give this show a 10. I know they never said Brazil, but the map and that Portuguese is from Brazil so they could have studied a bit more and not only showed the bad and poor side of the country that the whole world already knows. It was poorly done.

Enjoyable show, I give it 8/10.

May 19, 2009 5:16 PM

Nov 2006
noteDhero said:
Oh and skin wise Hana is super fair and looks just like Hiroshi. I know it's stupid to talk realism, but those genes just wouldn't totally favor him.

It is strong evidence, but they don't look alike. The baby is much darker than Hana.
*late yeahhhh*
Firstborn daughters look like their fathers, in general.
May 21, 2009 10:58 AM
Dec 2007
Sawa said:
David_CZ said:
Brazil has been incarnated in the most accurate way that I've seen.

I have to disagree here, the way they showed Brazil was the reason i didn't give this show a 10. I know they never said Brazil, but the map and that Portuguese is from Brazil so they could have studied a bit more and not only showed the bad and poor side of the country that the whole world already knows. It was poorly done.
It may have been exploiting the third-world vibe for all it was worth, but it lended itself to a good story. I don't really think characters like Michiko would have fit in too well on a more "realistic Brazil".

May 30, 2009 9:21 AM

Nov 2008
The overall plot was basically a journey back to square 1. What a letdown... Despite being original in its content, its characters were boring because they kept preaching about how everyone should look at the world realistically while still trying to pursue their ideals such as wishing Hiroshi is a stable, fun guy and such. It's basically an anime about a group of messed up people with no sense of balance and only brought together by a promiscuous, impulsive woman with no direction and a young girl who takes after the parents and the environment she was in (such as being a teen mother).

6/10... Dropped. Not my cup of tea.
Jun 18, 2009 2:44 PM

Nov 2007
Sad to see it end.
I want a Satoshi e Hatchin spin-off.
Those two together were just great.
Jul 14, 2009 11:04 AM

May 2009
Didn't expect Hana to become a mother at all. Especially not with some guy that leaves her after three months.
Hiroshi seemed to be a dick, that just runs away from everything.

The ending was okay - I was happy to see Mitchiko and Hatchin reunited.
The anime was good. Although some episodes were just decent, it was never bad.

7/10
Aug 13, 2009 1:48 AM

May 2008
Hiroshi was a douchebag, I was expecting a punch in the face rather than a hug when Michiko finally caught up with him.

Hatchin's hair as an adult looked terrible and her having a baby was just felt so random.

Still I enjoyed majority of the show and just for having quality animation and sound I'd give it an 8/10
Aug 21, 2009 12:42 AM

Dec 2007
sakR9 said:

Uhm, she had to go to jail..

Anyway I knew since the first episode this anime would become one of my favorites, and I wasn't wrong. Even the filler eps interested me and I enjoyed every episode. I loved how there wasn't one of those big happy family endings, Hiroshi just wasn't the kind of guy she thought he was(Michiko that is, Hana had him pegged from the beginning).

Great art, great setting, great show.

Sawa said:

Enjoyable show, I give it 8/10.

Even if only the poor side was shown, how is it badly done? It's not like Manglobe made a statement before hand that they planned on showing some of the poor and not-so-poor sides of Brazil, they just made the show. I thought they did a brilliant job, once again remembering there were no promises in showing any other side of it.

saintcross said:
Hiroshi was a douchebag, I was expecting a punch in the face rather than a hug when Michiko finally caught up with him.

Hatchin's hair as an adult looked terrible and her having a baby was just felt so random.

Still I enjoyed majority of the show and just for having quality animation and sound I'd give it an 8/10

The whole punch in the face to get across your feelings is way overdone, I'm glad they didn't do it like every other anime seems to be doing nowadays.
ZugyAug 21, 2009 12:55 AM
Aug 21, 2009 4:06 PM

Jan 2008
The ending was pretty weird and way to sweet for me. Whole series had some nice parts and setting was really refreshing but last 2 epizodes were lame. I liked that they added Satoshi as character but then there was not place for that chicken Hitoshi to reveal his motives and so on.
Hatchin as adult was horrible, baby was bad joke. just weird.
Art+music+setting great but story slightly fell down on the way. From previous 9 I go for 8
Aug 21, 2009 7:40 PM

Jun 2009
I knew in the end Hiroshi would turn out to be a douchey dad. A few things aren't really explained or weren't touched upon enough:
-Back stories which lead to nowhere.
-Characters had motives to harm or kill other characters but there's never a true explanation of why. It felt more like a lame excuse to have useless villains.
-Lack of information regarding Hana's real mother.
-An explanation of how the police ended up letting Hana and Michiko meet Hiroshi at the train port.
-What was Hiroshi really running from? Besides the obvious of people trying to kill him, he knew Michiko was coming and he took off....such a loser....and Michiko seems to have a heart for douchey dudes as well. Ugh...

Great beginning, solid ending, but the stories found in-between them are a mixed bag for me.

7/10
fancyfoxAug 22, 2009 4:26 AM
Sep 13, 2009 3:38 AM

Nov 2008
Like someone already said, I was completely shocked to see that Hatchin had a baby and with a man that had left after only three months....Wth, that is soo not like Hatchin. I thought she was just babysitting it. And the first thing I noticed was Hatchin's hair, I couldn't get over that odd hair. It would had probly looked better if she had grown it out.

Geez, all that just to search for that lame ass Hiroshi who keeps runing away? Following him across mountains, plain, deserts, the seven seas and through tomato fields, just to deliever him HIS daughter.*exaggerating a bit*. And Michiko says "I finally find you" and he's like...so you let your hair grow out.0_o...lol. It seemed like he had a way of attracting people by blending in with their personalities, and then dissapearing.

But, I wasn't completely dissapointed with the ending. I was happy to see Michiko and Hatchin reunit and not just leave us hanging with the ending.
Yay, three cheers for that!XD

Overall I really liked the show and where everything took place. I'm going to miss the charaters and the show's uniqueness. Can't get enough of Michiko.^^

I personally wasn't going to give it anything below a rating of a 9 at first, but after seeing the last episode...I'll give it a high 8/10. ^^
KonataStarSep 13, 2009 3:59 AM
Sep 17, 2009 4:56 PM

Feb 2008
I thought it was a good ending. Hatchin, the only person who had never met Hiroshi was the one who nailed his personality. Selfish, a bit cowardly, a likeable chameleon.

What I found a bit difficult with the show was that it was so unpredictable. One episode was introspective, another romantic, then suddenly gruesome violence, back and forth. It wasn't like other shows where you know beforehand what kind of mood you're being lulled into. That actually made it somewhat difficult for me to get into. Still, the art, the music, the *style* of this show was remarkable. I can forgive it some minor flaws. 8/10
Sep 18, 2009 8:06 PM

Nov 2007
liked it.. :)

demo., geez! wat a man hiroshi is..
michiko rocks! and yea she deserves far more better guy than hiroshi! :)
and hatchin. , i was shocked tOo..

but the ending is kinda sweet .. :)
Jan 20, 2010 9:17 PM

Jul 2007
I enjoyed the anime. It was something different. Getting tired of ecchi shit.

10/10
Jan 31, 2010 5:04 PM

Jun 2009
well. hiroshi is a piece-of-shit-guy! i've sort of liked him.

i really love the ending n soundtracks a lot!
Mar 26, 2010 12:30 PM
Jul 2009
I didn't like it... I figured she wouldn't do the same thing her father did. So what? they'd make another series about the kid she had trying to find HER father?!
bleh. I loved the series, and hated the end =_=
Apr 24, 2010 8:09 PM

Feb 2010
I kind enjoyed the ending, although it was to be expected to some degree.
Overall this show is an 8/10 for me, sometimes it was a bit too slowpaced, but overall the story was okay, the art was great and the characters individual. Favorite character of the show is probably Satoshi for me though ^^
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 26, 2010 4:51 AM

Oct 2009
I think the ending killed whole atmosphere of this serie. All their efforts have gone and that is a little sad but overall it was a pretty good series holding in tense to the end.

8/10
Apr 26, 2010 6:04 PM

Nov 2008
Personally, I really enjoyed this series.The music,art style,characters and story were all superb, but that's not to say that it didn't have some minor flaws here and there.Some episodes weren't as enjoyable as others and they left a few things unexplained, but that's all minor stuff that I easily overlooked.I just wished they would have shown some kind of discussion between Michiko and Hiroshi instead of them exchanging a few words and that's it or at least having her tell him off for being a cowardly piece of crap.Overall, I was very pleased with the ending though.I think the moral of the story is that blood isn't always thicker than water as shown with Michiko loving Hatchin and Hiroshi not wanting anything to do with her.

The mother/daughter relationship that grew between Michiko and Hatchin is what made this series stand out from the rest and shine so beautifully in my opinion.It became an instant favorite of mine and overall I give it a 9/10.
CYLLAMApr 26, 2010 7:19 PM
May 2, 2010 11:32 PM

Aug 2009
Art style, music, characters are great. But story's boring sometimes. 8/10
May 9, 2010 4:16 AM

Feb 2009
why did that guy give hana his truck at the end?
May 18, 2010 10:48 PM

Mar 2009
windy said:
older-hatchin's hair is disgusting D:
i was surprised she had a baby...she didn't really seem the type to do that, especially since the guy was the type to run out. guess it runs in the family?

I'd have liked to see her with the same hair as when she was 10.
As for the latter sentence, yeah.
May 20, 2010 12:51 AM

Dec 2008
Hiroshi to "oh yeah he left for some other women" that kinda irritated me. I didn't like the end that much. I know Hana discovered that all she really needed was her mother, but COME ON. Finding Hiroshi FINALLY was going fix anything and all three of them were going to live happily ever after. That's what I wanted, I know its about creating different kind of ending, BUT FOR THIS SHOW THAT'S HOW I WANTED IT TO END.
Jun 12, 2010 5:00 PM

Jan 2009
I actually think the ending was perfect. It was more realistic and less of a fairy tale ending which i prefer. The dad leaving was sorta expected. I mean come on someone who runs away again and again and doesn't seem the least bit interested in taking care of child. I'd even be surprised if he stayed. He is irritating but its better he's out of Hatchin's life than if he was in it. Hatchin didn't seem into establishing a relationship with her dad either. Before this last episode I was already deciding to give it an 8 but then afterwards it became a 9 instantly.
makezh22Jun 17, 2010 9:26 PM
Jul 11, 2010 11:57 PM

Aug 2007
This series, like so many other "road trip"-style titles is less about the destination than it is about the journey. Hiroshi seemed like the goal they had to reach, but really he was just a means to grow the powerful life-long bond we see develop between the two heroines. In some ways the series meandered through its little side stories and I can appreciate why some found this frustrating, but after a couple of re-watches everything seems to slot together even more. Which isn't to say this is a perfect title, but it certainly is one that I enjoyed on a good number of levels.
Aug 1, 2010 3:04 AM

Jan 2008
If hatchin thinks her baby is already a handfull wait until the teenage years, especially if it's michiko's grandchild. :')

8/10
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Aug 12, 2010 7:54 AM

Jan 2009
makezh22 said:
I actually think the ending was perfect. It was more realistic and less of a fairy tale ending which i prefer.

I agree with this. While they painted a picture of Hatchin being mature for her age and not being the type of girl who would do this after what happened to her the fact is in real life shit happens to everyone including those you would have never expected it from.
Hated the short hair as did most others
They really did give mixed messages as to whether or not Michiko was Hatchin's mother. All clues up until the last episode would indicate that she was not but it seems like they went out of their way to show that Hatchin's kid was Michiko's complexion and had her attitude.
I was leaning towards 7/10 and this ep pretty much solidified that for me. While the art, music and character development of Michiko and Hatchin were all top notch there was a definite dip in the roller coaster during some of the middle episodes.
Aug 17, 2010 10:50 AM

Oct 2008
Brilliant art and sound. The story was good and I liked the final, but I think it could be more better. Some episodes were mediocre and the show was too long. 12 episodes had been enough.

7/10
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 12, 2008

104 by prozyne »»
Jan 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 29, 2008

82 by prozyne »»
Jan 28, 5:38 AM

» music in this series

abyss_will - Jan 20, 2019

5 by abyss_will »»
Jan 22, 11:40 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 16 Discussion

simo000 - Mar 14, 2009

40 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 4, 2023 7:25 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kokujin-kun - Dec 4, 2008

75 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 4, 2023 7:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.