Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 6, 2014 12:13 AM

Nov 2011
Hikikomori2001 said:
the 18+ age requirement IS needed

can be explained this way... there may be cases where unwanted adult content may have to be checked, verified, and cleared out

While I think most of us can agree upon that, the reason for the debate was because users under the age of 18 could simply just say they're 18 to apply and no one could prove they were under-age otherwise.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 6, 2014 3:45 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thread Cleaned

I've removed:
- spam posts
- some unnecessary posts surrounding the discussion on age requirement
- posts bashing specific users/individuals

I also removed a discussion about no forum mods being online. The irony of this discussion occurring in a Forum Mod Recruitment thread seemed to be lost on everyone involved. Why would we being hiring new forum moderators if we were currently adequately staffed?

As for off-topic concerns about current forum moderators, please read my post (which I actually included in the OP of this thread); specifically the Concerns About Forum Moderators section.

This isn't a thread for a discussion on:
- what you feel the existing team and community is currently lacking;
- how you might improve specific boards you frequent now; and
- any other improvements you would like see made; for example, to MAL policies.
Include it in your application (if you're applying) or create a new thread with a specific discussion topic in mind.

Announcement threads aren't a free-for-all to sling every beef you've had with a mod at them. That's not a discussion, that's a mudfight. And if you're only interested in a fight and not in a talking productively, then its not a discussion and doesn't belong on this forum.
Feb 6, 2014 5:33 PM

May 2013
There is one thing I am curious about, Kineta.

Do (forum) moderators ever have certain boards assigned to them? Of course, there's far too any boards compared to moderators, including sub-boards, and you're hardly going to hire a moderator for each board. Anyhow, you've most likely answered this somewhere before, but I'm hardly going to dig through the whole of MAL looking for it.

It's not exactly a suggestion or anything of the such, either. It's just me wandering. It's not necessary in the slightest, but I don't think it would hurt keeping an eye over certain boards moreso than others (AD, CD, etc.). Obviously, moderators do check these boards every so often and possibly after receiving a report.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Feb 6, 2014 8:30 PM

Nov 2012
I was seriously lol'ing when Kineta has to moderate the thread about finding moderators. Just another proof of our dire need for more moderators.

Good luck to everyone who applies (2 days left I guess).
Feb 6, 2014 8:43 PM

Nov 2010
H-bunny said:
I was seriously lol'ing when Kineta has to moderate the thread about finding moderators. Just another proof of our dire need for more moderators.

Good luck to everyone who applies (2 days left I guess).
I find it funny that you're using an alt account which is against the rules while talking about how we need more mods because people break the rules.
Feb 6, 2014 8:49 PM

Nov 2011
Sorry, but Jaguer is not available anymore, I was going to apply long ago, but I don't have time for this now, I don't spend as much time as before on this site :/

I think I could have reached the position this time, I have some experience doing this work on other websites, but now I don't want to apply if I can't really commit to stay on here every day/week.
I luv u
Feb 6, 2014 10:23 PM

Mar 2013
Diran-kun said:
Do (forum) moderators ever have certain boards assigned to them? Of course, there's far too any boards compared to moderators, including sub-boards, and you're hardly going to hire a moderator for each board. Anyhow, you've most likely answered this somewhere before, but I'm hardly going to dig through the whole of MAL looking for it.

It's not exactly a suggestion or anything of the such, either. It's just me wandering. It's not necessary in the slightest, but I don't think it would hurt keeping an eye over certain boards moreso than others (AD, CD, etc.). Obviously, moderators do check these boards every so often and possibly after receiving a report.

More than dedicating a user to a specific board, the latest pick of Forum Moderators was focusing on just where these users are active. Most of them indeed had their seeds set in the AD/CD boards. So basically, they have been active in those boards on daily basis before even being notified about a possible recruitment.

To keep on-topic with your main idea, I wouldn't find specifying quite necessary. Sure, having the Moderators split as much as the activity shows is always a plus, but I wouldn't go doing that after the recruitment. Changing ones style of foruming for the sake of moderation is a bit... direct. As you've said, they do hop around on every so when the reports are received. However, I still think that they should not be limited to a specific board in the matter of both visiting and moderation. That could and should be taken care of before hand, in other words, seeing where the user is active and how much profit it would bring before taking him/her on the team.

However, the Forum Mod team is quite a topic. IMHO, the sections themselves shouldn't pose a limit. As long as someone is active, mature, knows how to handle the situation and is community-focused, there is always a place for such user on the team. I can't speak for MAL, as I'm not a part of the Staff, but limiting the number of the Staff members purely because two frequent one section that is a tad less active (meaning that only one could get recruited from it) sounds wrong. In this case, the more indeed is the marrier, as we can never have too much of quality.
Feb 6, 2014 10:55 PM

May 2013
Subpyro said:
Diran-kun said:

More than dedicating a user to a specific board, the latest pick of Forum Moderators was focusing on just where these users are active. Most of them indeed had their seeds set in the AD/CD boards. So basically, they have been active in those boards on daily basis before even being notified about a possible recruitment.

To keep on-topic with your main idea, I wouldn't find specifying quite necessary. Sure, having the Moderators split as much as the activity shows is always a plus, but I wouldn't go doing that after the recruitment. Changing ones style of foruming for the sake of moderation is a bit... direct. As you've said, they do hop around on every so when the reports are received. However, I still think that they should not be limited to a specific board in the matter of both visiting and moderation. That could and should be taken care of before hand, in other words, seeing where the user is active and how much profit it would bring before taking him/her on the team.

However, the Forum Mod team is quite a topic. IMHO, the sections themselves shouldn't pose a limit. As long as someone is active, mature, knows how to handle the situation and is community-focused, there is always a place for such user on the team. I can't speak for MAL, as I'm not a part of the Staff, but limiting the number of the Staff members purely because two frequent one section that is a tad less active (meaning that only one could get recruited from it) sounds wrong. In this case, the more indeed is the marrier, as we can never have too much of quality.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that moderators should moderate one board and one board only. It would make more sense to have moderators looking out over the more active boards, while still looking over the other ones.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Feb 7, 2014 9:02 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Diran-kun said:
There is one thing I am curious about, Kineta.

We haven't had enough moderators to spread across the forum this way and frankly don't like definitively assigning specific moderators to specific boards. All moderators need to be able to handle reports from all boards; not that the moderator thinks "that report isn't from my board so I don't need to handle it". Furthermore, all moderators should actively read through AD/CD without reports because these are the most active boards, and thus, are where a lot of problems tend to occur.

That being said, in the form we do ask which boards the applicants frequent most. Since this is where the users' interests lie, we expect they will still frequent these boards if they potentially become moderators. And this is one way for us to diversify our team to have more presence across the entire forum and not only in specific boards. That being said, again, some boards require more moderation than others.

Forum Moderator Duties said:
  • Checking the queue frequently for abuse reports and dealing with a variety of reports from all public forum boards, disputes on user profiles and (as necessary) in clubs.
  • Actively moderating (reading through new and existing threads without abuse reports) 2-4 main discussion boards, including Anime Discussion and/or Casual Discussion.
In the opening post, we actually modified the duties a bit from my post in October and should summarise my answer to your question, I think.

Subpyro said:
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. The way I'm reading it though, you seem to have some misconceptions about something. It seems like you're saying the last round of moderators were picked solely from AD/CD, and I believe I said the opposite of this in my opening post.

Well, I don't want to get into a huge discussion on this paragraph, but I don't want people to misunderstand anything either. If anyone is interested in reading about the last round of moderators hired, please read the spoilered content in my OP.
Feb 7, 2014 9:11 AM

Mar 2013
Kineta said:
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. The way I'm reading it though, you seem to have some misconceptions about something. It seems like you're saying the last round of moderators were picked solely from AD/CD, and I believe I said the opposite of this in my opening post.

No-no, that wasn't my point at all. What I wanted to say is that the Moderators are not given some specific boards to moderate after the recruitment itself. Since Diran-kun has connected the matter with the AD/CD boards, I've went ahead and said it more as an interesting fact that the majority of the newly recruited users do/used to frequent the two named boards themselves the most out of them all. Therefore, the matter of moderators frequenting (at least) one section per activity of that section is always good to be balanced, and it would appear that MAL tends to keep it that way.
SubbedFeb 7, 2014 9:17 AM
Feb 7, 2014 9:14 AM

May 2013
I see, I see.

I wasn't talking about moderators having specific boards or spreading out and only handling posts from their forum, if they had one. Sorry if it came across that way. I was more or so referring to boards that should be kept an eye on more than others, but you have all that figured.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Feb 7, 2014 12:27 PM
Mar 2013
Kineta said:
Announcement threads aren't a free-for-all to sling every beef you've had with a mod at them. That's not a discussion, that's a mudfight. And if you're only interested in a fight and not in a talking productively, then its not a discussion and doesn't belong on this forum.
Hey Kineta, your good friend JD here

I know this isn't the place but I just have to say this

Your sincerely, JD

P.S Please don't ban me
Feb 7, 2014 7:20 PM

Sep 2011
Wait, I thought new forum mods were added (relatively) recently. Did some mods drop?
Feb 7, 2014 7:24 PM

Jun 2007
Dour said:
Wait, I thought new forum mods were added (relatively) recently. Did some mods drop?

Only added 3, and one of the old ones left - plus this was a good while ago. Not super long ago, but long enough. Even with them, the forum mod team hasn't broken or even touched 10 people - and this is a site with a shit ton of users so it's really low.

We currently only have 7 mods, and on a site with at least a couple thousand active forum users and tens of thousands of posts, profiles, comments, and personal messages every single day that may be an issue (and are all things they deal with), that's just incredibly low.

If the last wave of new mods was ~10 new mods, that'd be one thing, but it was only 3, which is kind of pointless. We should have 25~35 dedicated mods with a couple staff people dedicated to handling IRC duty instead of having the whole staff in there screwing off and making friends instead of doing their jobs. That is still a small enough group to manage easily, yet a big enough group to always have at least a couple of them on constantly.
TallonKarrde23Feb 7, 2014 9:37 PM
Feb 7, 2014 10:10 PM

Sep 2011
http://myanimelist.net/about.php?go=team
^Yeah, looking at it, it does seem like the forum team is really small-- just saw some of the more recent mods in retired section.

I think the sites number of forum users has grown lately too. The "Users Browsing Forums:" at the bottom of this page said there was some ~600 users a while ago, which I don't remember it ever being that high not too long ago (or perhaps I just never noticed). So I definitely think there should be more mods. Maybe the open trial will prove successful for a decent number good mod additions.

Well, good luck finding mods Kineta, I suppose. I can't imagine sifting through applications is the most enjoyable thing to do.
EeyoreFeb 8, 2014 12:14 AM
Feb 8, 2014 2:22 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Everyone who sent me an eligible application should have received a response. If you did not receive a response, please re-send me your application. Apps are only open for another ~22 hours!

JD2411 said:
This statement is generalizing and doesn't really help anything. I can think of a few suggestion threads that received moderator attention and simply passed away from inactivity due to everyone (including users) having other things to do.

If you have a concern about a specific thread, then it's best to bring this up with another moderator or myself and we can explain to you why it was removed or locked. Or, you can ask them to have a look at the thread and give their opinion. Someone asked me to look at a thread about usernames just yesterday and I posted a short reply in it, though I probably wouldn't have seen the thread for some time without being directed there (I haven't had time to browse the forum lately).

TallonKarrde23 said:
We should have 25~35 dedicated mods with a couple staff people dedicated to handling IRC duty instead of having the whole staff in there screwing off and making friends instead of doing their jobs. That is still a small enough group to manage easily, yet a big enough group to always have at least a couple of them on constantly.
25-35 moderators is too much. This many moderators would never be able to communicate effectively with each other and we really don't need that many forum staff.

Also, we will not have forum moderators that only handle IRC either. Banned users speak with their banning moderator unless there is some big issue with their communication and the user brings the discussion to another moderator or me for an appeal. You also just implied that forum moderators aren't allowed to use IRC for anything other than moderating, which is also like implying forum moderators shouldn't watch anime, participate in clubs or exchange profile comments/PMs with any users that aren't strictly moderator related. This also means that moderators shouldn't post outside of a mod capacity on the forum - which is actually something that people have been repeating again and again that they would like to see more of.

Moderators are people and volunteers, not robots. If all they do is mod, mod, mod and don't enjoy the site and users from a user level, they're going to burn out, lose dedication/ties to the site and ultimately become inactive. That obviously doesn't mean that they should not mod or only mod the bare minimum either. But with an adequately staffed team, it should be perfectly possible for moderators to have a healthy balance of both moderating and simply enjoying the site.

Dour said:
I think the sites number of forum users has grown lately too. The "Users Browsing Forums:" at the bottom of this page said there was some ~600 users a while ago, which I don't remember it ever being that high not too long ago (or perhaps I just never noticed). So I definitely think there should be more mods. Maybe the open trial will prove successful for a decent number good mod additions.

Well, good luck finding mods Kineta, I suppose. I can't imagine sifting through applications is the most enjoyable thing to do.
Unfortunately, I think 100-200 of those users browsing are club spambots... but yes, we need more staff. In November 2010, we hired 7 moderators, which broadened our team to 10 at the time. This was over three years ago and we obviously have more members since then, so we're long due for more moderators. The spoilered part of the OP (of this thread) also explained why we're doing recruitment so quickly again; perhaps you might find that an interesting read.

And thank you. Reading applications and communicating with users I haven't before is actually very appealing to me. But the work side of the application process is indeed a lot of time and effort.
KinetaFeb 8, 2014 2:27 AM
Feb 8, 2014 3:00 AM

Jun 2007
Kineta said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
We should have 25~35 dedicated mods with a couple staff people dedicated to handling IRC duty instead of having the whole staff in there screwing off and making friends instead of doing their jobs. That is still a small enough group to manage easily, yet a big enough group to always have at least a couple of them on constantly.
25-35 moderators is too much. This many moderators would never be able to communicate effectively with each other and we really don't need that many forum staff.

Also, we will not have forum moderators that only handle IRC either. Banned users speak with their banning moderator unless there is some big issue with their communication and the user brings the discussion to another moderator or me for an appeal. You also just implied that forum moderators aren't allowed to use IRC for anything other than moderating, which is also like implying forum moderators shouldn't watch anime, participate in clubs or exchange profile comments/PMs with any users that aren't strictly moderator related. This also means that moderators shouldn't post outside of a mod capacity on the forum - which is actually something that people have been repeating again and again that they would like to see more of.

Moderators are people and volunteers, not robots. If all they do is mod, mod, mod and don't enjoy the site and users from a user level, they're going to burn out, lose dedication/ties to the site and ultimately become inactive. That obviously doesn't mean that they should not mod or only mod the bare minimum either. But with an adequately staffed team, it should be perfectly possible for moderators to have a healthy balance of both moderating and simply enjoying the site.

1. I disagree. 25 people is "too many" for you to manage and for them to communicate with one another? With the current state of how you manage the staff, I agree, but if you actually start treating them like your 'employees' rather than some kind of equals and kept them to standards properly, they would be easy to manage even at that number. The problem lies in the upper management (and the fact it is only one person instead of at least two of you) and the way the staff is treated overly softly, with a more serious - not even necessarily more strict, just more serious - way of managing them, they would be far more productive and easier to work with because everything would be much more smooth, streamlined, and clearly outlined. As it stands now it's chaos because you refuse to play your role as the leader and are afraid to manage your team or enforce any quality control over them.

2. I'm the loudest about wanting mods who are active on the forums - however I don't believe a forum mod should be sitting around talking to friends in the IRC chat MORE OFTEN than they are on this site moderating it. You are taking what I'm saying, twisting it, and not actually responding to what I'm saying - but to your own versions of it. I am not saying a moderator should not have a life or hobbies, should not talk to people, should not be friendly with the users, and so on. What I AM saying is that I see moderators fucking off far more than I see them doing their duty, and I hear tales of them from many people chatting it up in IRC with problem users on a regular basis - problem users who have histories of NOT BEING PUNISHED as harshly as other members for some strange reason and some even being considered for mod-status hilariously enough, but that I won't even bother getting into because you will listen even less to that than anything else I've said. The end problem is that your staff spends far too much time screwing around than working no matter how much you want to talk about how you know them better than annnnnnyone else. I don't care how much you think you know them - I see the RESULT of their action or inaction, regardless how much you want to claim they do in the background - this site is fucking garbage, full of spam, full of shitposting, full of rule breaking, full of nothing but shit because the staff allows it to happen. Even after reports are in some things (even simple ones) can sit for days, and I have yet to see anything actually moderated without a report being placed because the mods clearly spend no time actually browsing the site; let me remind you - there is a reason police do not just sit at the station until they get an emergency call.

If your main excuse is that moderators "are not robots" then explain how they manage their education, jobs, and friends. They CLEARLY are capable of doing what I'm asking - be they robots, people, aliens, or literal piles of shit. If they finished a single day at school or at work in their entire lives, they've proven they can spend a handful of hours focused and dedicated on their responsibilities without it ruining them. And really, when it comes to time, they all should have it - it's even something YOU REQUIRE in the opening post of this thread. Time they are capable and willing to dedicate to this site. If anyone on the staff - or who you are THINKING of putting on the staff - cannot manage their personal lives and keeping a solid handful of hours to moderate this site every single day, they simply should not be on the staff. The only valid excuse to miss more than a day every now and then would be a family or personal emergency - not needing more time for studying, not needing more time to work on this project for their job, not needing more time to rub one out, not being unhappy with how hard it is to find time spreading their social justice warrior bullshit, not needing more time to play video games. None of these are fucking excuses. If they do not have the time to do ALL THEY NEED TO DO as well as moderate this site adequately, they should not be on the staff - either by removal or stepping down on their own. You don't get a part time job if you don't have the time to part with to do it.

As for the other part, if the idea that "the user needs to speak to a mod who banned them" is such a big deal, my suggested IRC staff would contact that moderator in the private staff IRC about the issue and direct them to the user in question. This is actually a faster and more efficient way of dealing with the banned user issue. There is a reason businesses and such have call centers and secretaries. The mods get bothered about a lot of stupid shit in the IRC - not just bans or account issues, and they also waste a lot of time jerking their friends off - or rather, being rubbed off by a friend in exchange for favors, but again, that's another discussion all together.

Besides, you're the one who outright refuses people who have nothing else in their life to do but spend time here because of your own personal reasons rather than merit. You can't do that while claiming your staff is oh-so-busy and claiming there's no way I can expect them to spend more of their time doing their job. There are plenty of users here 12+ hours a day without a horrible history of bans or harassment and so on that you simply refuse to let be on the staff for no real reason. If you turn them down you cannot use the excuse of time or having a life or wanting personal time for the staff, because you have the option of having people who are fine without that stuff and already don't have it willing to spend most of their days moderating this place - and you are telling them no 'because'.

You are actively making debilitating choices for the mod team on a regular basis. Your excuses are reasonable, that is UNTIL you look at the reasons the situations you're excusing exist in the first place.

3. None of your staff currently does an "adequate" job of moderating. None of them have in the past YEARS - not just now, but ever. This site, these forums, have NEVER had adequate moderating. You have never had a staff member who CONSISTENTLY did more than the very bare minimum and was also doing his or her job properly (for example, not abusing their position to push personal moralistic views) - let alone a TEAM of them. And a TEAM is what you need, even if you can pull one name out of your ass, that is not enough.

Do you really think taking a few more random people from the site - not including those who would actually fit, as none of them are someone you will allow on the staff - will somehow make the utterly pathetic ragtag group of non-caring half-assed staff you have now into a fine tuned machine of substantial worth and adequacy?

I personally do not, especially if you continue to treat them as pals and not subordinates and continue to avoid setting must-be-met standards.

No matter how much you want to push otherwise - when a human being volunteers for a responsibility (regardless if they are compensated or not, or what that responsibility is), it is a JOB. A volunteer job in this case, but it is still a job, and none of your staff treat it as anything but a joke. I cannot imagine how you believe the few new members who might not for a couple weeks will magically turn that around when you will simply allow it to happen all over again with them as well - as it did so quickly with the three new ones we got not even a year ago.

You and the rest of your staff took on a responsibility - a responsibility that we the users rely on you to keep to and take care of, and one you guys have not done that with. I'm tired of that being the case. If anyone on the staff does not understand the weight of that responsibility, or is not willing to put in the effort, time, and passion towards it - they should leave or be kicked into shape immediately. Otherwise, you are letting us down - us, the very people an admin, mods, or any other staff are in place to serve - and are an active detriment on the site by perpetuating a lacking foundation for this community through it's core; the staff.

Don't worry, I wrote all this knowing you will just say I'm wrong and ignore it, it's still not a waste to say it anyway. It's also on topic, so don't you fucking delete it.
TallonKarrde23Feb 8, 2014 4:10 AM
Feb 8, 2014 9:57 AM

Aug 2013
better to have more mods and less work then less mods and poor work
huehuehue
■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
Feb 9, 2014 2:41 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Applications are now closed.

However, due to a shortage of users who applied with this timeslot, we will be allowing an extension for applicants who are able to include at least 3 hours of their availability everyday within:
- 0:00 and 6:00 PST
- 8:00 and 14:00 GMT
- 17:00 and 23:00 JST.

This should be the time you would always be moderating and not only a short-time availability for a number of weeks. Additionally, please include in your application the reason that you did not apply during the last two weeks.

The extension for these specific applications will be until Friday, February 14, 2014 at 23:59 Pacific Time.

For the applicants that already applied, we hope to have our picks for the second round within the next week-ish, so please expect to hear from me soon!

@TallonKarrde23: I will reply to your post as soon as possible.
KinetaFeb 9, 2014 2:57 AM
Feb 9, 2014 3:09 AM

Dec 2012
Still waiting on the request at the bottom of my application.

Feb 9, 2014 3:40 AM

Aug 2012
I am considering applying, but someone that has been banned multiple times for derailing like me will most likely not be accepted anyway
Feb 9, 2014 5:35 AM

May 2013
lupadim said:
I am considering applying, but someone that has been banned multiple times for derailing like me will most likely not be accepted anyway

This has been discussed before. It depends on what you did before, how bad it was, and if you, as a user, has changed. There may possibly be more deciding factors.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Feb 9, 2014 6:29 AM

Oct 2009
Kineta said:
However, due to a shortage of users who applied with this timeslot,

Why am I not surprised?

lupadim said:
I am considering applying,

You should go for it!
Feb 9, 2014 1:21 PM

Jan 2013
How was luna able to change her signature?

http://falfiles.net/sig_wildswans.png

Her old one shouldn't have had the "Forum Moderators Needed," right? Since this thread was made on the 25th of January this year :(
Feb 9, 2014 1:23 PM

Nov 2010
Shuryukan said:

Her old one shouldn't have had the "Forum Moderators Needed," right? Since this thread was made on the 25th of January this year :(
Because she kept the same url, she didn't change it through this site but through wherever she hosted it.
Feb 9, 2014 1:24 PM

Oct 2009
Shuryukan said:

I guess she just changed the picture that is linked in the signature, not the signature itself
Feb 9, 2014 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Shuryukan said:

Because she kept the same url, she didn't change it through this site but through wherever she uploaded it.

Aww, I'm so sad I deleted my old signature ;-; didn't know you could do that.
Feb 9, 2014 2:52 PM

Jun 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Shuryukan said:

Because she kept the same url, she didn't change it through this site but through wherever she hosted it.

Luna is one smart cookie.
Feb 9, 2014 3:49 PM

Aug 2012
Diran-kun said:
lupadim said:
This has been discussed before. It depends on what you did before, how bad it was, and if you, as a user, has changed. There may possibly be more deciding factors.
I don't think I changed. My concept of "discussion" is too deep for the mods of MAL, whenever I discuss with someone we quickly change themes (that are related to the main theme of course), but if you do that in MAL you get a two weeks ban. In other words, I guess I can't apply
Feb 9, 2014 3:51 PM

Apr 2013
lupadim said:
Diran-kun said:
lupadim said:
I don't think I changed. My concept of "discussion" is too deep for the mods of MAL, whenever I discuss with someone we quickly change themes (that are related to the main theme of course), but if you do that in MAL you get a two weeks ban. In other words, I guess I can't apply

Hey, at least you were banned for derailing, not harassment or something, which is probably much worse because it shows intentionally malice

You should still apply, I'd totally be behind you.
Feb 9, 2014 4:00 PM

Jul 2012
Yeah, I'm not too sure if they would make someone who was/is abusive a mod, but like Kineta said it depends on what you did/said and how you've improved. Never hurts to try. :)
Good luck to all the applicants!
Feb 10, 2014 1:59 AM

Sep 2012
I really hope you apply Lupadim. I believe the MAL staff could use someone as interesting as yourself (Not being sarcastic)
Feb 22, 2014 4:05 AM
Jul 2018
Kineta said:

For the applicants that already applied, we hope to have our picks for the second round within the next week-ish, so please expect to hear from me soon!

Come on, don't keep us waiting.
Feb 22, 2014 4:08 AM
Nov 2008
Oops sorry guys, they gave me every moderator position. Best of luck next time, yeah?
Feb 22, 2014 9:03 AM

Oct 2009
Heredity said:
Oops sorry guys, they gave me every moderator position. Best of luck next time, yeah?

But I thought moderators are supposed to have custom titles below their usernames :/
Feb 22, 2014 9:47 AM

Jun 2008
Sarcasm. Lost.

#interwebproblems
Feb 22, 2014 6:56 PM

Feb 2014
Oh well I missed this one , maybe next time you open Ill apply, until than Ill have more activity points :3
Feb 22, 2014 10:53 PM
Jul 2018
Heredity said:

Your avatar fits this post perfectly! Does that make you a goderator now or something?
Feb 22, 2014 10:55 PM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
After seeing your about me section I think it would be best if you replaced Aversa.
Feb 22, 2014 11:00 PM

Aug 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
This is the best post I have read in a while, I hope Kineta actually reply to this.
Mar 8, 2014 12:59 PM
Dec 2013
I am online @ MAL for 10 hours a day.

Sometimes for 10 hours straight. Or it should be 3,6,10 or 5,10.

Goodluck to all of the applicants out there.
私はあなたを愛して。 29915250
It takes one step backward, and two steps forward. *Avi
Apr 7, 2014 8:49 AM

Jun 2013
Any word of the new mods?
I was out of the running first wave!
Apr 7, 2014 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
Are the applications for mod forum ended? Just asking .
Apr 7, 2014 2:05 PM

Oct 2009
Heredity said:

What can't you understand about that? He will probably get his custom title after the public announcement that gets delayed for any reason
Apr 9, 2014 1:24 PM

Jun 2007
Subpyro said:
rony-chan said:
Are the applications for mod forum ended? Just asking .

Allow me to answer by this:
Kineta said:
Kineta has been taken hostage by a terrible deadline and he means business!?!
。・゚・(>д<)・゚・。 ¬o(⇀‸↼メ)

Any question regarding the possible ETA gets swiftly ignored. She thinks humor saves the day, but besides the WBMs, it really has no effect whatsoever. In other words, if you are asking about the applications being sent in, then yes, that has ended. If you are asking about possible news being shared on the matter, then no, there are none. Not even a response that there are none is being shared.

Maybe by the time my months-old post she promised to reply to 'soon' gets a response we'll know something about what's going on. (That's sarcasm because it's never happening and I don't even care anymore.)

This is what happens when the site has one administrator only and she's never around or prioritizing properly because, like the rest of the staff, she's too busy with her personal/'real' life to dedicate enough time to the site. I don't think I need to ask a millionth time why people who are entirely unsuited to run the site are the ones running it without a single exception - if you don't have time to dedicate to volunteer duties, you don't volunteer and disappoint everyone you're supposed to be helping. Not only that, but she just keeps perpetuating that issue by only letting people who fall into that onto the staff/staying on it. This new round of mods will probably be the same if they ever come to exist - either they'll be abusive and get away with it or they won't ever be around because why should they be, their boss never is and neither are any of the others.
TallonKarrde23Apr 9, 2014 1:35 PM
Apr 10, 2014 2:10 AM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:
Then do magic.

Cardcaptor Kineta and Keroxinil :D
Apr 10, 2014 2:15 AM
Nov 2008
mal will never get new moderators. everyone, just forget about this whole thing.

[edit]

oh, one position was handed out: mal ambassador. i actually sit in at the united nations and key in on important topics in relation to mal (such as 'spread moe to iran').
Apr 10, 2014 7:00 AM

Mar 2014
Heredity said:
mal will never get new moderators. everyone, just forget about this whole thing.

[edit]

Hehe I think last night's listing threads will probably get the train moving.
Apr 10, 2014 9:23 AM

Jan 2014
Apr 10, 2014 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
Really hoping we have new moderators before May rolls around.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by Nikmomo93 »»
19 minutes ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
6 hours ago

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.