Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 10, 2014 10:40 PM

Mar 2014
LadyRenly said:
Heredity said:
mal will never get new moderators. everyone, just forget about this whole thing.

[edit]

Hehe I think last night's listing threads will probably get the train moving.

At least 'dac was doing his job
Even if I think it ruins the spirit of fun a tad
Apr 11, 2014 7:51 AM
Nov 2008
i only really see rodac and luna_ doing stuff on mal's forums. how many forum mods do we have again?
Apr 11, 2014 8:16 AM

Dec 2013
Heredity said:
i only really see rodac and luna_ doing stuff on mal's forums. how many forum mods do we have again?

There are mods?
All jokes aside, you're the only forum mod MAL needs
Apr 11, 2014 8:18 AM

Nov 2010
Heredity said:
8 and the one called craveonline_com has done nothing around here.
I do understand who it is.
http://myanimelist.net/about.php?go=team
Apr 11, 2014 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
Heredity said:

I see rodac the most, with Aversa and Suzune-Chan being fairly active too. Luna_ grabs most of my reports while I'm asleep. However I rarely see the other 3 moderators. Furthermore, I suspect the CraveOnline moderator is for testing purposes only.

Subpyro said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Heredity said:

We have 8 Forum Mod titles, but approximately 0 actual moderators.

Even if you meant that as a joke, that's quite rude in my opinion. They put in as much time as they can. They have lives too, but they still find time to better this place with what time they can allocate. Being a moderator here looks to be a fairly difficult task, judging by all of the users who blatantly break the rules each day. Showing some respect would not hurt in this situation, especially with what moderators are already putting up with on a daily basis.
removed-userApr 11, 2014 11:07 AM
Apr 11, 2014 11:26 AM

Jun 2007
Aylaine said:
They put in as much time as they can. They have lives too, but they still find time to better this place with what time they can allocate.

If you cannot dedicate a period of time every single day to a responsibility you volunteer to take on you should not be given that responsibility or allowed to continue having it. A volunteer job is still that, a job, you get fired from jobs when you are "too busy with your life" and doing other shit to actually work. Even volunteer positions with this much neglect will get you removed. Them having lives is completely irrelevant - if fulfilling their role as a moderator here is in the way of their personal and work/school life then they shouldn't be on the staff in the first place. Using "they have lives" is not an excuse at all, it's just a completely irrelevant statement. They themselves decided "I would like to be a moderator and take on that responsibility" - they have no excuse of "too busy with their own lives" to fall back on when this is a position they volunteered and continue to volunteer to do. If they were forced into the position I could see what you are saying as meaningful, but they weren't and are not - you don't take on a responsibility by your own choice, neglect it, then get excused for doing so. If this is 'as much time as they can' put in, then they need to fix that or step down. And doing your best for 30 minutes every few days in a job you accepted that involved you spending several hours every day on does not somehow become acceptable because you "do your best" during that tiny portion that you do ANYTHING.

Let me remind you - something you volunteer for does not mean it's something that doesn't fucking matter. In fact, volunteer positions are some of the most important because they are typically affecting peoples lives directly. Almost every volunteer position out there is helping - helping means others rely and depend on you. When you say "lol im too busy hanging out with my boyfriend this weekend" to fill your duty, you're actively shitting on every single person who is relying on you to do what you signed up to do.

The only time people in a position they neglect are allowed to continue staying in that position is when there is nobody who can replace them and do a better job because "somebody is better than noboby" - and that's not the case here at all.

"It's hard work", "they have lives", etc just doesn't matter (especially when you have a forum of people who are here 12+ hours a day just 'because' - and no, I don't mean me, as I have too much of a history anyway). They chose to take on this responsibility, this work, this time consuming thing that gets them no appreciation. Nobody forced them into it, nobody is forcing them to continue doing it. Yet they mostly act like a neglectful parent or pet owner, I'm not sure how you can pretend that deserves any respect.

"Oh, that dog I bought? Yeah, I feed and give it water every few days when I remember to - I mean I have a life you know, I can't just sit there with the dog all day making sure it's fed, watered, and given attention. What about me? What about my free time? I can't dedicate my attention to this thing when I could be out with friends. I mean who wants to work all day and then come home to more work? Nobody, so I refuse to let that happen to me, I'm a human being too you know, my life can't be constant responsibilities. Why did I buy it? Because I'm a good guy :)" - apparent great pet owner

If you neglect your job - you are fired and treated as a piece of shit.
If you neglect your education - you drop out and end up a big shit.
If you neglect your children or pets - you have them taken from you, are usually sued by the state as well, and viewed as a horrible person.
If you neglect your significant other - they leave you, possibly sue you if you are/were married, and you are seen as a bad person.
If you go and volunteer at a homeless shelter or church or whatever else, promise to be there every week, then only show up during big holidays - you will be removed from that responsibility and seen as a shitty unreliable person.

So why is it that you believe someone spending a hard-working 30 minutes every couple days (when we're lucky enough to even get that) is something that deserves respect? Not to mention, mods that are around far more than that but end up shitting around talking with friends (and worse, mostly known abusive and spammy problem users) in the IRC while not moderating the site at all, and I do mean the forum mods not the IRC-only ones. For example, Koleare is chatting it up with MellowJello (along with his circlejerk crew) far more often than he's doing any work on the forums.

If they can't dedicate at least a couple hours (preferably far more than just a couple) every single day of every single week of every single month without fail unless of a medical or family emergency, then they should not be on the staff, let alone not respected. Stop praising people for doing the very bare minimum, no, below even that given the bare minimum would be an hour a day, not 30 minutes every 3.

When did unreliability garner respect? When did not fulfilling the responsibilities you CHOSE to take on deserve to be viewed positively? A forum moderator affects the lives of every user of that forum by their actions and - more so - by their inaction. Having an entire community rely on you to help them and help maintain the community is no small responsibility, and definitely not one to take lightly and treat as being about as relevant as not missing an episode of a TV show you 'kinda like I guess'. "It's the internet" doesn't excuse letting down such a large number of people on a daily basis so you can jerk off an extra 20 minutes and get some 'me time'. The community is shit because of how little they do, users are left harassed for days because of it, and there's just no way this is acceptable let alone something to praise them for.

If someone cannot balance their personal life and hobbies (nobody said they can't have friends or enjoy their free time), their work/school (including homework/projects/etc), AND their optional responsibilities - then they should not continue volunteering for said optional responsibilities nor be ALLOWED to continue. They deserve nothing but disdain for not stepping down or stepping up, and instead waffling in the middle so that the need for more and actually dedicated staff is never fucking given attention thanks to an admin who does the same as them.

How hard you work doesn't fucking matter if you only work so hard every few days for such short spurts of time.

I quit giving a shit about this stuff because nothing is going to change, but what you said was way too fucking stupid and blatant ass-kissing to let just pass by without saying anything.
TallonKarrde23Apr 11, 2014 12:14 PM
Apr 11, 2014 12:15 PM

Jul 2012

That's quite an impressive essay from someone who says they're "done caring" about the whole mod stuff. But anyway, if y'all are fed up with all this, why stay? Or why even bother with the forums anymore? I rarely go on the forums because of all the issues. I just use MAL for tracking my anime, talking with friends or IRC.

You two certainly take your forums seriously. I'll give you that much.
Apr 11, 2014 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
TallonKarrde23 said:
If you cannot dedicate a period of time every single day to a responsibility you volunteer to take on you should not be given that responsibility or allowed to continue having it. A volunteer job is still that, a job, you get fired from jobs when you are "too busy with your life" and doing other shit to actually work.

Most of them do dedicate that time though. Think I'm wrong? I report 30-60 posts per day. That's how bad the forums are right now. I do not care whose posts they are. They get reported. They all do not get dealt obviously, but most of the moderators are putting in time each day. Some aren't, and your point stands in that regard. But the others? No, they put in time. I track all of my reported posts, so I'm aware of when something is dealt with. Funnily enough, you mentioned earlier in this thread that the staff seldom do anything moderation wise. My inbox disagrees with you. I have to clear it every other day from reports that have been dealt with. In other words, you are quite mistaken in that regard. Now perhaps they do not do enough for you, but that's not their problem.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Even volunteer positions with this much neglect will get you removed. Them having lives is completely irrelevant - if fulfilling their role as a moderator here is in the way of their personal and work/school life then they shouldn't be on the staff in the first place. Using "they have lives" is not an excuse at all, it's just a completely irrelevant statement. They themselves decided "I would like to be a moderator and take on that responsibility" - they have no excuse of "too busy with their own lives" to fall back on when this is a position they volunteered and continue to volunteer to do. If they were forced into the position I could see what you are saying as meaningful, but they weren't and are not - you don't take on a responsibility by your own choice, neglect it, then get excused for doing so. If this is 'as much time as they can' put in, then they need to fix that or step down. And doing your best for 30 minutes every few days in a job you accepted that involved you spending several hours every day on does not somehow become acceptable because you "do your best" during that tiny portion that you do ANYTHING.

Agreed. If a moderator is not on enough, they should not be moderators. However that choice is up to Kineta, not any of us. It's not my desire to call her out on what she should or should not do, because that choice is hers, and in no way does it involve me. "They have lives" was not an excuse for those who do very little, it's to show that the moderators who are active do try. Because the fact remains that the amount of people who moderate right now is insufficient to deal with all of the reports on the forum. Shoot, even if all 7 were active, it would not be enough in my honest opinion. The moderation queue is so backed up, even if they spent hours on it, they wouldn't be able to get through it. So it doesn't matter if they had more then 30 minutes. The fact remains that they would still be behind, with more reports coming in daily. Bottom line is they need help in order to get a foothold on the situation at hand.

TallonKarrde23 said:
The only time people in a position they neglect are allowed to continue staying in that position is when there is nobody who can replace them and do a better job because "somebody is better than noboby" - and that's not the case here at all.

I agree. There are individuals who could be doing a better job. But it's not as simple as slapping the title on someone then sending them at the moderation queue.

TallonKarrde23 said:
"It's hard work", "they have lives", etc just doesn't matter (especially when you have a forum of people who are here 12+ hours a day just 'because' - and no, I don't mean me, as I have too much of a history anyway). They chose to take on this responsibility, this work, this time consuming thing that gets them no appreciation. Nobody forced them into it, nobody is forcing them to continue doing it. Yet they mostly act like a neglectful parent or pet owner, I'm not sure how you can pretend that deserves any respect.

They deserve my respect because despite all of the crap they're dealt by certain members, the active moderators are doing their best. I know this because like I said, I observe my inbox, the posts I've reported. Problematic threads. Also, "It's hard work", "they have lives" does matter. Because sometimes they can't be on. Emergencies. Work. Obligations that overshadow the ones they have here. If your point is to simply add people who are glued to their computer during whatever time, there will still be points of downtime. "Hey mom, I can't go visit you in the hospital right now, I have to moderate this forum. Because of reasons." Honestly, your whole post just sounds like you are dissatisfied with the amount of time moderators can put in.

Then again, I believe that's why Kineta is adding more moderators. This should alleviate allow for more moderation while giving the current active moderators a breather. The workload is just too demanding, as such the influx of new hands would allow said workload to be split. Why force someone to spend 4-5 hours here when 2 people can actively moderate their time slot more effectively?Having been a moderator several times on other forums, all I can say to you is this: life happens. For the amount of posts/threads they have to deal with in the queue, not to mention the train of current reports floating in each day, the job that's being done is deserving of respect. Maybe not yours, but they have mine.

Subpyro said:
Now please, either face things in the light they are, or simply keep it quiet on how they are so "hard-working" and "have their own lives."
My large post addressed several points of issue already, but allow me to clue you in on something. I haven't fallen into anything. In fact, it's you and Tallonkarrde23 that seem to have fallen into something, that being your own standards on how moderation should be. Rarely do I see people complaining about how active the current moderators are. Just you two. Maybe a stray post here and there, yet those posts lack the passion of your posts. Actually, I haven't seen a single moderators blabbling on about how hard they work. My assertion that they work hard is because they are taking care of the posts I report. Nice try though.

Seriously, you two can try to argue this all you want. The moderators here should not have to conform to your standards, given you are beyond a vocal minority. Nor anyone elses but Kineta's. Since she's in power, she has control, and she is the person who decides how much time moderators should be putting in. As I said above, those who are inactive should be removed if the reason is just, but personally the situation is always more complicated, to the point that it's not as simple as just removing them. In closing, I view things based on the results I'm seeing. Just because you don't see any, or not enough does not mean that work isn't being done. I truly sympathize with you if this isn't enough, but you both have to literally suck it up and deal with it. Period.
removed-userApr 11, 2014 12:52 PM
Apr 11, 2014 12:53 PM

Jun 2007
You quoted random parts and in your responses to those parts said to me what I had already said to you as some kind of counterpoint (ie; the part about emergencies and other obligations, wherein you state those may happen while oddly the part where I mentioned that is just missing). Along with that, you just threw around one hilarious piece of anecdotal evidence (while also assuming a lot of things about me and my knowledge or experience with the current staff) to support your point while repeating it over and over again.

I hope sub responds, because I'm not bothering and I'd feel bad for you having written all that to have nobody bother taking your bullshit ass kissing seriously when you put so much work into it. When you have nothing to defend your side with aside "b-b-b-b-b--b-b-b-b-but muh inbox, but muh personal opinions" then you have nothing to defend your side with period, so I'm out as I had already implied in my prior post in the final lines.

Oh, and for that last part about who decides how much time a moderator should put in? Look at the requirements on page 1 of this thread, Kineta does because she's the boss - none of her staff follow those requirements.

Kobapo said:

That's quite an impressive essay from someone who says they're "done caring" about the whole mod stuff. But anyway, if y'all are fed up with all this, why stay? Or why even bother with the forums anymore? I rarely go on the forums because of all the issues. I just use MAL for tracking my anime, talking with friends or IRC.

You two certainly take your forums seriously. I'll give you that much.

You said yourself you don't use the forums much so I understand not really knowing - but I tend to write massive essay responses to most threads, be they worth discussing or just completely dumb shit. It's less a sign of me caring and more a sign of me posting like I always do.

And really, 'done caring' does not mean 'done having an opinion', I'm not sure why so many people believe it does.
TallonKarrde23Apr 11, 2014 1:02 PM
Apr 12, 2014 9:11 PM

Jun 2012
I hate it when you guys fight
:'(
Apr 12, 2014 11:07 PM
Nov 2008
when it comes to forum moderators doing their job properly, i think this is a poor effort (i've removed the link as the right people have seen it). i think i mentioned this in casual discussion earlier too.

several years ago when such a thing would happen a moderator would actually quote the offending posts in question to let me know what the hell i'd done. in this case that hasn't actually happened, i've just been told i was 'insulting' someone and went off-topic. i went to the topic in question and my recent posts and every post that had been made that could give me a clue as to what went down since i responded a few times yesterday morning had been deleted. in essence, i don't even know what i did to receive the warning (i got the warning about 8-9 hours after i posted). so, i don't even know what to not do to not receive another warning. being insulted is in the eyes of the receiver, i wouldn't be surprised if i was merely joking around or some shit.

i've since pm'd the moderator asking about what my insult was (as i don't remember trying to insult anyone), but haven't got a response. i don't really think i should need to follow up on something to even figure out what i did wrong though.

Subpyro said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Heredity said:

We have 8 Forum Mod titles, but approximately 0 actual moderators.
who the heck is koleare?
no-thanksApr 19, 2014 2:14 AM
Apr 12, 2014 11:26 PM

Mar 2007
I regret to inform you that you didn't censor that pic enough as anyone who's gotten a message from that mod would know who it is. Heck, I'd wager that even if they haven't gotten a message from them, they could still figure it out pretty easily. Just so you know~

Have a wonderful day,
Kimura
You've come a long way, baby.
Apr 12, 2014 11:30 PM
Nov 2008
Kimura said:
I regret to inform you that you didn't censor that pic enough as anyone who's gotten a message from that mod would know who it is. Heck, I'd wager that even if they haven't gotten a message from them, they could still figure it out pretty easily. Just so you know~

Have a wonderful day,
Kimura
feck. i'll solve this situation using lots of brain cells.
Apr 12, 2014 11:42 PM

Mar 2007
Much better. Except now my post gives it away even though you super censored it. Hmmmm.....
Apr 12, 2014 11:52 PM
Nov 2008
Kimura said:
Much better. Except now my post gives it away even though you super censored it. Hmmmm.....
you're a part of a conspiracy set to take me down. oh no!
Apr 13, 2014 6:28 PM

Mar 2013
Kimura was best mod
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 13, 2014 10:30 PM

Mar 2007
Aw, shucks. I was just trying to carry on Asako's legacy is all.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
10 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.