Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2014 7:47 PM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow. What a gorgeous piece. I really wish that it could have been expanded because this surely could have been of film length. The soundtrack and art were both great, but the story ending there leaves something to be desired, I think. That fire brigade was badass. The way they speak and is definitely what would would expect of them.

Great to see Otomo working again!
Mar 17, 2014 7:44 PM

Oct 2007
That was really quite gripping near the end when the Taiko drums started and the fire brigade were doing their thing. Too bad the girl Owaka wouldn't listen and ended up exploding, but she really did have every chance to prevent the fire from raging out of control and even to escape by following Matsukichi's directions yet chose not to probably as a means of escape and wanting to hold on to their last moment together. I guess choosing the means of her own demise/escape and getting to see Matsukichi once last time in the process was really the only way for her to feel truly fulfilled in the end, but the fact that it took out half of Edo and probably countless lives in the process is the real tragedy here and another way to look at it is that it's her cruel punishment for failing to live up to the standards of her time. Is she the perpetrator albeit half willingly of a great disaster or the tragic heroine that was pushed to the limit by an oppressive society that denied her any chance at happiness.

Very interesting piece that leaves itself open to multiple interpretations like a good short film ought to.
PeacingOutMar 17, 2014 7:48 PM
Apr 24, 2014 11:33 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
This was so eye-pleasing; I was probably smiling like an idiot 60% of the time in the theater. The ending—or lack thereof—was disappointing, and the short finished with me wanting much, much more. 8/10
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 4, 2014 3:30 PM

Sep 2007
Stunning animation makes me forgive pointless ending

Sep 5, 2014 4:26 PM

Feb 2013
Very simple plot if it could be considered one. Cool visuals though
Oct 25, 2014 10:20 PM

Apr 2009
The visuals and the sounds were great, too bad the girl was petty. I understand she was miserable about the arranged marriage but she didn't need to share her misery to half of Edo on a whim. >_< Well, karma and the plot got to her in the end.

AlabastreAizo said:
That fire brigade was badass. The way they speak and is definitely what would would expect of them.
Agree, a story about the old fire brigade would be awesome!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 29, 2014 10:48 PM

Feb 2014
Wow art was gorgeous, I would love to see an anime tith this type of art, especially the character design for the girl was amazing. Palette was great too!
Dec 1, 2014 12:54 AM

Jan 2009
i cant believe that its 3DCG, its cel-shading for anime animation style

tragic story though
Mar 29, 2015 3:40 AM

Dec 2014
Impossible love leads to catastrophe.
Apr 25, 2015 5:56 PM

Nov 2010
I understand that they demolished the house to stop the fire from expanding, but shouldn't they have checked if there were any survivors still there?
Jun 15, 2015 6:03 AM

Feb 2008
There's one thing that makes no sense. I assumed she wanted to kill herself, but then a few minutes later you see her on the roof trying to escape. So in the end, she just ended up as a mass murderer since her actions destroyed half of the city heh.

It had more to the story and characters than Tsukumo, but it's overall weaker than it.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 11, 2015 11:43 AM

May 2012
It was a great episode but it ended a bit too abrupt leaving the viewer with too many questions sadly enough. Still a very lovely setting and atmosphere!
Dec 23, 2016 1:09 AM

Sep 2013
My jaw dropped when they first showed the extent of the raging fire. I wonder if she knew what she was starting when she didn't take the chance to extinguish the small lantern fire.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 30, 2019 4:33 PM

Aug 2012
The art-style here was pretty great, and I think the border helped add the cinematic feel but also enhanced the sense of history to this, making it feel more like a tale being past on then currently experienced. Wasn't a fan of the the OST, and didn't really feel much of anything for the characters involved but the movie did a competent job of establishing the base dynamics at play here, even if there was little to get emotionally invested in. The ending also felt a bit abrupt and unsatisfying but at least the fire looked great.
May 27, 2019 5:14 PM

Oct 2015
What's up with the heavy tattoos, were they yakuzas or something?

Overall this was enjoyable, too bad Owaka didn't listen to Makukichi and died instead!

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 19, 2021 10:59 PM

Apr 2009
Berry-Vodka said:
I assume your comment as negative towards the girl which bothers me :( so, then i don't recommend this movie to you Weathering with You heh. Hoo boy one hour of deez nutz...
This is also an assumption to your assumption. I just finished Weathering with You, I don't think they were petty to cause
as opposed to Owaka here whose the real cause of the fire. Again, this an assumption to another so it could be wrong still and I will cease my ramblings now.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 26, 2021 2:58 AM
Jul 2018
What a beautiful episode to look at. I don't know if her plan was actually to die cuz if it was not, I don't know why she didn't listen to the guy, pretty much half the area got completely burned due to that. Anyway, I don't think it was completely CG like one person mentioned above but it looked beautiful. Also, that fire brigade scene was kinda hype.
removed-userJul 26, 2021 3:03 AM
Mar 12, 1:46 PM
Dec 2022
The artwork and music go crazy, wish this was longer

More topics from this board

» Official Trailer

bergil - Jan 8, 2013

1 by symbv »»
May 10, 2013 6:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.