Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 1, 2013 11:08 PM

Sep 2012
zonnikku said:

I currently own all the novels in Japanese, and have read a bit of #7 and #8 and they're quite good. Reverse trap vampire, vampire hunting scientists, Henry's illegitimate son, sexy cheerleader Karin, lesbians, tsundere girl, love triangles, incest... the novels have everything. I'm not joking, haha.

Omg now I want to read this so bad.
May 19, 2014 9:30 PM

Aug 2013
Such a bittersweet ending. It was great that she got to end up with a happy normal life, but losing her memories and not being able to see her family again is just sad. Yes, her life would have been harder with her knowing that she was a vampire, but experiences help build a persons identity so I think that losing all of those memories can be seen as being worse.
Oct 14, 2014 8:06 PM

Sep 2014
StarkSan said:
Such a bittersweet ending. It was great that she got to end up with a happy normal life, but losing her memories and not being able to see her family again is just sad. Yes, her life would have been harder with her knowing that she was a vampire, but experiences help build a persons identity so I think that losing all of those memories can be seen as being worse.

Agreed, & that knowledge wasn't going to stop her from being happy! In fact, I think it just caused a lot more misery then it saved! Her family can never interact w/ her ever again, & poor Kenta now has even more secrets forced on his shoulders!

*Re-read manga* Yup, this is still one of the most infuriating endings I've ever read. Karin is a good manga with a forced, badly reasoned out, unnecessarily tragic ending, in my opinion.
CasyleSep 17, 2015 10:56 PM
Nov 8, 2014 10:14 AM

Apr 2011
I don't see the point of erasing her memory other than making this more dramatic than it needed

and who the fuck was sophia ?
Apr 16, 2015 12:51 AM
Jul 2018
Valaskjalf said:
I don't see the point of erasing her memory other than making this more dramatic than it needed
Same. It seemed like she would have been plenty happy living as a normal human while still having a vampire family. She was already an outcast for a vampire so it wouldn't have been much different.
May 25, 2015 2:44 AM

Feb 2013
I thought it was a pretty good ending despite that one sad thing.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. I don't see the reason why they had to erase Karin's memories of her family and vampires. Not only that but Kenta has to carry those memories alone to the day he dies. Also Karin's family still watches over her never to able to have ANY contact with her.

Those extra chapters are nice too. Kenta meets Karin's older brother and Kanon meets his son in the woods.

Very satisfying.
Jan 17, 2016 3:34 AM

Oct 2014
The only annoying thing about the ending is that Karin was supposed to be a vampire, a weird one but still nevertheless a vampire. I'ts a shame that she considers herself a human now without knowing what her actual species is. It's as if she's now living a lie. I think that a better ending would have been that once Sophia left her that she should have turned into a proper vampire considering that she's a vampire and not human
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide
May 7, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2014
The ending just made me cry. I kept asking myself, why did it have to end that way? Why did they erase her memories. It's her own family. But at the same time, it was fulfilling. I enjoyed it. It was bittersweet
Nadim_May 7, 2016 12:00 PM
Just so we're clear, I'm a solo player. One or two days of being orange means nothing to me. — Kazuto Kirigaya

Jun 28, 2016 5:33 AM

Mar 2015
good series but the ending feel very anticlimatic... 8/10
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 25, 2017 1:46 AM

Aug 2013
The manga was great, but the ending was really disappointing. Erasing Karin's memories is like erasing her whole existence. The reason she and Usui started dating was because of her being a vampire. All the experiences that they had together had to do with the secret. Making her forget her family (they're the best part of this manga, esp. Anju <3) is just mean and unfair. It just doesn't make sense. Who cares if she's a human now...? That's no reason to do that. She wouldn't be who she is without them. Ughhhhhhh it made me so upset >_< I loved seeing afterstory stuff, but I wanted to see Kanon (Karin's daughter) meet her family ;_;
Jun 16, 2017 3:10 PM
Mar 2017
I´m so glad to be not the only one bothered by the memory loss. It was completely irrelevant, everything was resolved. Also it doesn´t add anything to the story because it ends 4 pages afterward anyways.
Nov 2, 2017 4:12 PM

Oct 2014
wow this might be one of my favorite manga yet, i held off on reading it for a while because i wanted something supernatural to read for halloween and just wow

this ending had me crying, though reading the short stories really warmed my heart

10/10, such a cute series
Dec 22, 2017 11:31 PM

Aug 2012
I hate the ending. I'm pretty sure it would be fine without erasing her memories

Still I enjoyed the series.
Jul 16, 2019 8:03 PM

Aug 2008
I wish it would've ended differently, I felt it rushed and not necessary. Despite that, I loved this series, it was super cute.
Apr 19, 2020 1:02 PM

Apr 2016
[Rant]

Pretty much the worst ending of any story I've ever read. It's been some years now since I've put volume 14 away, utterly disgusted. Never experienced any story that impacted my mood as negatively as this heap of trash. It spits in the face of its characters and on the intelligence of the readers.

Putting this amnesia on Karin out of nowhere for a completely asinine reason was just the most stupid thing I've ever read. What was that even for? Drama?
A fate worse than death for Karin (if we can even call that mentally screwed individual still Karin, because your memories define you as a person in a substantial manner) and Kenta forced to live with this emotional invalid for the rest of his life, a girl that doesn't even understand why she is subconsciously depressed for the rest of her life. Forced to live with a girl that in essence isn't even the girl he fell in love with. How cruel can you be? And for what reason? For a gratuitous egomaniac decision by her so called "loving" family. You can see the terror in Karin's eyes as she realizes what they intend to do to her, the ultimate betrayal. Robbing her of herself, her dignity as a person and of the family she loved. But hey, at least her family can feel happy now, knowing that her hollow puppet of a daughter can now live "happily ever after", aren't they wonderful and loving for their self-sacrifice? No?
Her life was going good at that point but they had to come and ruin it for her and Kenta for the most stupid reason ever.....

Honestly, I don't know how hard the author had to hit her head against the table to have this shit pour out of her head. The ending isn't even bittersweet, it's just bitter and unnecessarily cruel. It's as if anyone who moves abroad and away from their family at some point in their life would be better off just completely forgetting about them forever and not being able to visit them ever again. That's the message the story sends. And by comparison with someone who moves abroad, Karin would have been even better off, because she wouldn't even live far away from her family, the only difference would be that her family is nocturnal, wow, what a deal-breaker, she could never have lived happily with Kenta while knowing that her family sleeps during the day.....

Karin is the manga that made me stop buying manga before they're finished because I felt (and still feel) so emotionally cheated by how incompetent of an ending this was. It shits on everything that happened before (pretty much all of which I loved, otherwise this wouldn't have impacted me at all).

Lastly, I'm not one to hate on sad endings in principle, but the way this was executed was just inexcusable to me. And yeah, I know it's just a story and I'm not losing sleep over it or anything (not anymore :P ), but thinking about it always awakes these emotions inside of me and as I said, if I hadn't cared as much about the characters as I did, I wouldn't have felt this strongly about how stupid this ending was. Glad the anime was produced before this crap was finished. I haven't found any conclusive info about the ending of the novel, but it seems like the author there went with the original crap ending as (correct me if I'm wrong, please, I would LOVED to be wrong there). [/Rant]
Pit93Apr 20, 2020 12:45 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karin Chapter 12 Discussion

removed-user - Sep 25, 2012

1 by tr25a3 »»
Jun 7, 2020 12:02 PM

Poll: » Karin Chapter 1 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jan 26, 2012

3 by tr25a3 »»
Jun 7, 2020 7:33 AM

Poll: » Karin Chapter 5 Discussion

Kino_no_Tabi - May 19, 2009

4 by orangeskull »»
Mar 1, 2020 12:08 PM

Poll: » Karin Chapter 4 Discussion

jeanfarias - Mar 9, 2012

2 by orangeskull »»
Mar 1, 2020 12:01 PM

Poll: » Karin Chapter 3 Discussion

jeanfarias - Mar 2, 2012

2 by orangeskull »»
Mar 1, 2020 11:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.