Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 21, 2009 9:33 PM

Nov 2007
So cliche D: the whole thing felt like a remake of different animes put into one with a typical ending =/
Mar 21, 2009 10:00 PM

Jan 2009
I was pretty dissapointed by the ending but i think the whole series itself has a good story, even though it has many arcs...

Well, looking forward to see season 2 !
Mar 21, 2009 10:09 PM

Jul 2007
Series was decent, ending could have been a lot better though. Biribiri anime should hopefully be better.
Mar 22, 2009 3:32 AM

Mar 2009
mixtapehaven said:
MrTerrorist said:
darkxdestiny said:
So far, the only event that seems to be not shown from the light novels from here is Touma's face-off against a guy with a crossbow in Volume 5 (the events of Touma being Misaka's acting boyfriend, & the Accelerator & Last Order), according to the light novels summary. Or was it edited out?

I think that part was edited out but it still mention in episode 20. In that episode, Ao Amai couldn't get out of the city because the city is in a lockdown due to an intruder illegally entering the city. That intruder was crossbow man himself. And even though the anime didn't show it, it still happen.

Ohh, I thought JCStaff axed the whole part and the intruder was Sherry? Hmm.

Then again, i could be wrong.
Mar 22, 2009 4:06 AM

Mar 2009
While most you may dislike the series for not being an action anime but for some fans like me we enjoy it very much because the series greatest strength is not about the action but the world where TAMNI takes place and stories and conspiracy of that world. (To put it in another way, the series is like The Dresden Files novels, which is love by fans not because the hero of the series, Harry Dresden is a super power action hero wizard but a normal PI who just happen to be a wizard, trying to his job in a world where magic and the supernatural exist side by side in the modern world. In fact the world he lives and the people he meets are the reason what makes The Dresden Files popular since fans are fascinated the world Harry lives in. To Aru Majutsu no Index can be considered the Japanese version of the Dresden Files except it has science fiction added in it. What make it popular in Japan not because of the action but for its character development of each of the characters in the novels, the world of Science and magic and the amount of research the author herself was able to compile for the novels.)

Furthermore, i would like to congratulate JC Staff since this one of their most faithful novel to anime adaptions they ever made unlike Shagukan no Shana and The Familiar of Zero(The later i hate very much because not only did they change Louise the uncaring noble lady in the novels to an angry little Tsundere voice by Rie Kugimiya! Plus they change the plot a lot into a shameless ecchi series.) And i am please what they did since i would rather watch a slow-paced preachy sci-fi/fantasy story that *also contains* action thats faithful to the novel than to one than isn't.

All and all, i like this series and one of the best i ever watch and expect it to get better for season 2. Until than, i be waiting for the Railgun anime!
Mar 22, 2009 5:19 AM

Jul 2008
While I completely agree with most of your points MrTerrorist, don't forget that anime is probably the best medium for action-oriented stories so most of anime fans will love action.

thus, J.C. Staff should have improved the action in the series. Few more action scenes (not too much tough) in every battle that happened would have resulted in better ratings, more fans and, most importantly, would not have hurt the core of the story itself. Even exposition would not bother others so much if there was more action to entertain them.

Still, I am glad that J.C. Staff has so much faith in the franchise. The big budget, a lot of advertisement and even animating the side-story shows that J.C. Staff tries to make TAMNI one of their main franchises and I am thankful for that as TAMNI is a great series that just needs some polishment in its anime adaptation.
Mar 22, 2009 6:29 AM

Jul 2007
Well personally I find the anime a little lacking as through the whole show they did not show the science against magic thing. maybe I slow, but I only notice it during the angle fall arc. The ending was fine by me though, wish Misaka have more screen time at the last episode.
Mar 22, 2009 7:02 AM

Jul 2008
Soon, a war will emerge betewen Science and Magic sides. Season 1 was mostly an introduction to characters and the world of TAMNI.
Mar 22, 2009 9:37 AM

Jan 2008
Decent anime. It's over now. Bring on the second season and the spin-off. Touma will forever be cool with his negating punch. 7/10, but only because of Touma and Biri Biri.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Mar 22, 2009 11:05 AM

Aug 2008
I have to say this was a good season. The last ending opens up loads of possibilities for another season. Rate it an 8.5 overall. The archbishop is a little girl and apparently the one in charge of academy city is a mage. Definitely not to shabby and hope a second season does come soon.
Mar 22, 2009 3:07 PM

Oct 2008
If there is one thing i hate the most in series (other than obvious multi season series that get cut after 1 season) it is when the last episode in the season is so completely not epic that you couldn't tell it was the season finale unless you were told straight to your face.

Lets face it, there was no epic finish, no epic struggle, no epic revelation. Just a short, maybe 5 minute fight where toma punched the mage a few times and then hit the golem. Never any suspense and it never really looked like he was even trying, much less worrying that index might actually die. He spent more time doing his "generic perfect good guy hero" rant than actually fighting her!

And yes, i agree with the person saying the best part of the episode was the end scene hinting at the second season which is a shame because generally when a series hits its last episode, you expect something memorable.

I've never read the novel or what not, but the story cannot be this... dry in its native format. This season has not just been an introduction to the world and characters, it has been maybe 1/3 that at most and the rest random daily life. The least they could have done was add some resemblance of struggle to it other than Touma creating his inter ability harem. I can't think of a time i saw an anime with a season finale so uninspiring.
Mar 22, 2009 3:56 PM

Sep 2007
So they throw Aleister Crowley's motives and Laura Stuart at us... only to announce that they're animating a spinoff series instead. Such a great move that was.
Mar 22, 2009 4:14 PM

Jul 2008
Ha. I love the part when Touma comes to the doctor and says that he didn't get hurt this time. It seems like JCStaff knows that and decided to poke fun at that.
Mar 22, 2009 5:12 PM

Jul 2008
So they throw Aleister Crowley's motives and Laura Stuart at us... only to announce that they're animating a spinoff series instead. Such a great move that was.

The wait for 2nd season of Index would have stayed the same anyway. Maybe even the staff ain't the same.
With the epilogue, they wanted to show two things:
1. There will definetely be a 2nd season
2. 2nd season will be more connetced with the main plot

Ha. I love the part when Touma comes to the doctor and says that he didn't get hurt this time. It seems like JCStaff knows that and decided to poke fun at that.

They made fun of that few times already.
Mar 22, 2009 5:41 PM

Nov 2007
I'm really enjoyed this end ! =)

But after this ending, a next is obligatory, there are so much things without answer !

Mar 22, 2009 6:13 PM

Aug 2008
The series itself doesn't have a good story to begin with. There were just too many characters. Although, it's not the main factor of why the show didn't shine at all. Probably, because the story is not hitting on the right direction. It might be intended at the very beginning. Therefore, it requires another season.

Anyway, this series itself has its own ups and downs. I didn't fully enjoyed it like the other shows last year. There were a couple of good ones and a lot of bad ones too. It doesn't stand out too much except for its entire set of characters. That's the only thing that kept me watching until the end. I am not after the story anymore after I watched it halfway. I watched this show simply for fun and that's it.

Another thing is that the action scenes were always cut out short. Each episode doesn't stir you up a bit to watch the next episode. However, I did enjoy watching him build up his harem.

Therefore, I gave this a final score of 6. It's still watchable but I wouldn't recommend watching it if you are after the story of this show. I hope that the story will be filled up on season two.

Mar 22, 2009 6:21 PM

Jan 2009
it wasn't a great ending to the season, but wasn't bad per se. It left things open as if it wasn't the end. i personally would probably give it a 7.5 but since theres no decimal ratings in this system heh, ill give it an 7 because the first half was capturing and interesting while the 2nd half was an assortment of short arcs that didn't really have many interesting stories or characters. Especially the Accelerator arc. It went way too fast where in the prior episodes he was a maniacal killing psycho and now he suddenly becomes a good guy without a reason or enough time to comprehend. It needed more development. Also the 2nd half when touma loses his memory kinda pissed me off because it was like he was starting off new when the audience didn't need that at all because we had already gotten to like the prior "i lost my memory" touma. For me personally at that point i lost interest in touma as a leading character. I think thats the problem because touma's state of mind was always "who's this? and whats happening? (in a more annoying way)" when the audience already knew and was pointless. The first half was story driven while the 2nd latter was like fillers. Well to finish it off, this became a mediocre series, but a good way to past time.
makezh22Mar 22, 2009 6:26 PM
Mar 22, 2009 6:27 PM

Jul 2008
good last ep for this season
they crammed alota things in the last episode though
i thought that
2nd seasons gonna be worth watching
Mar 22, 2009 6:38 PM

Feb 2008
That was a nice ending. Would be nice to see Hyouka again though.
I'm looking forward to the side story.

9/10
Mar 22, 2009 6:42 PM

Sep 2008
Based on the light novels, there's just not enough material for a second season yet. With that said, I'm just looking forward to more Biribiri lol.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Mar 22, 2009 6:57 PM

Aug 2008
Cool anime, I liked it.
It seems all set for a 2nd season too (still waiting for Shana 3 too xD)... At least the Biribiri Spin-off has been confirmed for now.
Mar 22, 2009 6:58 PM

Nov 2006
naked mikoto and kuroko at the end was a nice touch.

fukou da being the last words of the series was very nice.

good to see the beginning of the next season will involve stiyl and uneven jeans-tan.

rounded this up to a 6 because of mikoto, last order, and accelerator. the characters are excellent but the actual events never seem to get tied up properly. overall, a mostly enjoyable watch.
Mar 22, 2009 7:00 PM

Jul 2008
yunadestined said:
Based on the light novels, there's just not enough material for a second season yet. With that said, I'm just looking forward to more Biribiri lol.

You kidding me? There's like 17 novels. They adapted six. There's almost enough for another two seasons. (Not that I've read them).

At any rate, second half was far weaker than the first half. So-So ending, to an alright show that didn't really innovate, but didn't do anything really wrong with the exception of inundating me with a ton of jargon.

6/10(from 5/10) because of Mikoto.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Mar 22, 2009 7:41 PM

Aug 2006
Ok series. What annoyed me most about it however was the endless dialogue scenes that Touma would have, which would last like half an episode. Nevertheless, I liked the characters and I wouldn't mind watching a second season since the ending was left pretty open. (6/10)
Mar 22, 2009 7:43 PM

Oct 2007
damn that foggy shower censor. =P

i was a little surprised they let kazakiri disappear, the goodbye was actually quite touching.

otherwise, i thought this episode was a microcosm of the season. good comedy, nicely done action, and way too much self-righteous, nonsensical dialogue bringing down all the good parts. 24 episodes through, a probable 2nd season pending, and I still couldn't tell you what the story is actually about.

i am looking forward to the biribiri spinoff though!
Mar 22, 2009 8:50 PM

Jun 2007
After finishing the first season I'm still under the impression that Touma is God's right hand so to speak. The reason for this is because in the bible the term "God's right hand" in prophecy refers to the Messiah to whom is given the power and authority to subdue His enemies (Psalm 110:1; Psalm 118:16) (source http://www.gotquestions.org/right-hand-God.html). I mean we have seen and heard about Angels so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Touma's power really was a gift from the gods to keep magic and ESPers in line.
Mar 22, 2009 10:21 PM

Nov 2007
they have alot missing. there better be a second season especially for a season ender it was really lack luster and hinted at a second one alot.
Mar 22, 2009 10:34 PM

Oct 2007
This just makes me hate Touma more 1.) for all the girls he gets and 2.) for his haxxor arm of his D:
Mar 22, 2009 11:55 PM
Oct 2007
GodsDragon said:
I am still angry that they never got around to exposing that Touma lost his memories, I was waiting for that the whole series and left disappointed.

Thank you that was the main thing that made me mad that
The main reason this show pissed me off is the factthat they never explained his arm His arm was brought up as something being more than esper at the end and thats that, Alister has a huge plot, but i guess we never mind that.
the fact they never really explored index it was like " hey we dont have to erase her memory. Opps Touma's got erased instead oh well moving on to the next story." Well bring up new characters do some character development and get rid of them for the next episode, never fully explaining them, and basically explaining it as "well Touma has the Captain save a chick complex". The fact that the 103,000 grimoires in Index's brain were barely touched upon or used also pissed me off (except being important in the beginning), and I was hoping a relationship would actually progress with Touma and Index nope, nada.
but my biggest beef was there was no real resolution.... to ANYTHING
I feel like this show was made for kids with ADHD. Well start to explain whats going on with everyone, and everything and in the middle of explaining we are going to break off to explosions. O.O OOH light sound color, and all of a sudden it dosent matter anymore, sigh.

And the only thing that seems confirmed is a rail gun spinoff...sigh If they dont do a sequel Im going to be so disappointed in this anime 2/10 if left as is.
jaikrossMar 23, 2009 12:27 AM
Mar 23, 2009 12:26 AM

Jan 2009
It was a great episode but not a really a great ending. It felt as if it was just another episode. It didn't really tie up anything at all. If I didn't check online I would think there would another episode next week... I don't know what you guys are talking about but I liked the new girl... Haha, there has to be a second season... I mean just look at the second half of the episode? It was just basically saying "The filler-like arcs are over the main story will begin" but noo... it was the end. Well, I relatively new to cliff hanger endings. Once again, great episode but... it didn't have the closure necessary to be considered a good ending. Didn't tie up anything at all, all it did was bring up more questions and make us ask "What's going to happen next"? There has to be a season 2, I mean come on... This would have made a good episode 18 where 19-24 would continue where 18 left off... actually thinking about it this would be a great episode 24 if 25-48 were based on it. There was enough cliffhangers to make a second season... I mean really... with it's own new plot and everything.

Season 2!
Mar 23, 2009 12:39 AM

Jun 2008
Great series, looking forward to the side stoy and hopefully season 2 down the road. I really have no complaints about this one.
Mar 23, 2009 12:53 AM

Feb 2008
I'm glad I waited till this series ended so I could watch it in one stretch since I did enjoy this series a lot but I got to agree with several posters, there's nothing as annoying as a final episode where you even can't tell if it's the last episode. And I was also hoping they would do a whole lot more with the part where he lost all his memories. Hoping at a 2nd season since this series still left so much unanswered and hopefully it has some more Touma Index moments since the second half of the season Index felt more like a supporting character then a main character.
Mar 23, 2009 1:19 AM

Sep 2007
Very fun series. Had a hiccup with that whole "angels fall" arc, but other than that it was good.

7/10 - can't wait for Rail Gun.
Mar 23, 2009 1:25 AM

Nov 2006
jaikross said:
GodsDragon said:
I am still angry that they never got around to exposing that Touma lost his memories, I was waiting for that the whole series and left disappointed.

Thank you that was the main thing that made me mad that
The main reason this show pissed me off is the factthat they never explained his arm His arm was brought up as something being more than esper at the end and thats that, Alister has a huge plot, but i guess we never mind that.
the fact they never really explored index it was like " hey we dont have to erase her memory. Opps Touma's got erased instead oh well moving on to the next story." Well bring up new characters do some character development and get rid of them for the next episode, never fully explaining them, and basically explaining it as "well Touma has the Captain save a chick complex". The fact that the 103,000 grimoires in Index's brain were barely touched upon or used also pissed me off (except being important in the beginning), and I was hoping a relationship would actually progress with Touma and Index nope, nada.
but my biggest beef was there was no real resolution.... to ANYTHING
I feel like this show was made for kids with ADHD. Well start to explain whats going on with everyone, and everything and in the middle of explaining we are going to break off to explosions. O.O OOH light sound color, and all of a sudden it dosent matter anymore, sigh.

And the only thing that seems confirmed is a rail gun spinoff...sigh If they dont do a sequel Im going to be so disappointed in this anime 2/10 if left as is.
well, there are a ton of novels left...it's not like this is the Final Episode.
Mar 23, 2009 2:56 AM

Feb 2009
The episode definitely didn't feel like an ending, or even a season ending. All I have to say is season 2, here we come. Assuming JC Staff will animate Shana 3 for Fall 2009, and then Biribiri's spin off, we'll probably have to wait until Fall 2010 for Index 2. (No I definitely don't want them to sacrifice Shana for this)

The series wasn't bad, I watched it light hearted and I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, especially the first half. The ride was fun, like a roller coster with ups and downs, and I had some great laughs. Giving it a 6/10.
Mar 23, 2009 5:17 AM

Apr 2008
The start was the start worthy of only the greatest of anime. But the rest was not so very good... this episode was no real ending, Angel Fall was one of the crapiest anime arcs ever. But the side chars pown and the story is pretty good. I like the idea of combining magic with esper powers and all.

This was a decent ep but deffinetly unworthy as an ending.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Mar 23, 2009 5:34 AM

Nov 2008
i'm gonna miss them
Mar 23, 2009 8:53 AM

May 2008
This show would be good if it had an actual plot, still maybe they will fix things up with the second season
Mar 23, 2009 9:08 AM

Jul 2008
While the show had a lot of bad sides, it managed to become one of my favourite shows with its colorful cast of characters, setting and potential. 9/10 from me.
Judging by the novel summaries and spoilers, 2nd season is where things start to get interesting (can't wait for the war arcs)

Looking forward to To Aru Kagaku no Railgun anime as well. The manga was great and I have great expectations for this one. Hopefuly the author of Index and Railgun will cooporate with J.C. Staff so the anime will go beyond its manga counterpart. Just three arcs ceartanly won't satisfy me.
Mar 23, 2009 9:51 AM

Oct 2008
6/10.

If they're going to obviously include a second season or heavily hint at one, they could have made the first season, you know, good. Too many loose ends and so many barely explained arcs really crippled this show.

Mar 23, 2009 10:12 AM

Nov 2007
Schizophrenic and very inconsistent show that still ended up being rather decent overall. Not looking forward to the second season, but will watch it anyway.

6/10
Mar 23, 2009 11:31 AM

Dec 2007
I really enjoyed this series....I loved the characters, most arcs were interesting and both the soundtrack and the animation were awesome. I would've given this one a 8, but because some characters *cough*Biribiri*cough* I'm giving this a weak 9. :)
Mar 23, 2009 11:47 AM
Jan 2009
I started watching this show with some expectations and got my hopes high...
Turned out to be absolutely unsatisfying and fulfilled none of my expectations. As said somewhere above, the show is very inconsistant and barely decent and Im getting this feeling, that the makers stuffed way too much of the novels progress into the first season, thus ending up having an overload of content which resulted in showing said content in a rather poor manner.

A weak 6/10 for the sake of Misaka.
Mar 23, 2009 2:04 PM

Mar 2008
Great episode, nice ending. A bit sad Hyouka disappeared in the end. But the next season will surely be interesting. "Angels", "Heaven"... wow^^

Can't wait for Biri-biri's spin-off too :)
Mar 23, 2009 3:35 PM
Apr 2008
Man, this series started good, WAS good for most of the part then last few eps sucked. Especialy the last one.
Mar 23, 2009 6:29 PM

Jan 2008
Not enough Misaka. Overall the show was a disappointment, I thought it'll be epic after I was impressed by the animation quality of the first few episodes. Then it quickly dropped down to a meaningless ramble of long speeches and "wtf are you doing" moments.
Show should of been called "To Aru Speechu no Touma"
Mar 23, 2009 7:24 PM
Jun 2008
This show really could've been better in many ways. It started on a decent track with some straight objectives and we understood what was going on. Then, Index became a comic relief character and the entire show went on a mumbo jumbo rollercoaster of confusion and unnecessary plot fillers. Here they have a cast of some good characters like Misaka and a few more I can't remember the names of, but none were used at their full potentials. When there was a chance, it was wasted and then came along new characters to fill in some more strange occurrences to throw us off and then cliche monologues and information we probably don't even have to care about. So, in the end, the show didn't know what to do and how to go about solving all the cans it opened. Either we get season 2 or this is it. And, by the end of the show, I totally forgot that Kanzaki was a part of the same series. I still hand it a 7 for the animation, fights, Misaka and for the first half of the show.
Mar 23, 2009 7:35 PM

Aug 2008
I'm sorry.

Why does everyone like Misaka? What did she do that was so out of the norm for tsunderes? I don't get it.
Mar 23, 2009 8:42 PM
Feb 2009
Was a pretty good anime. I know I'll be watching season 2 whenever that comes out. I think the best part of the show was Index.
Mar 23, 2009 8:48 PM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
I'm sorry.

Why does everyone like Misaka? What did she do that was so out of the norm for tsunderes? I don't get it.
It's all in the name. "Biri Biri". Rolls right off the tongue.

Plus, imagine how awesome the sex would be. Electro-gasm?
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 18, 2008

159 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 2:30 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Oct 11, 2008

204 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Davison - Oct 4, 2008

230 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 1:15 PM

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.